Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Hi, how does this work together with real-time lights on separate layers?
    We did a test where a static main scene is baked and only 1 object and 1 real-time point light are on a different layer.
    So the expected result is that the point light will shine only that 1 object, but instead it lights up everything (point light culling mask is set to that separate layer).

2. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Did you take a look at this yet? Honestly if you have a donation link, I am willing to help get you a Mac Mini for testing, because this would be a huge workflow boost for me. (-and to be honest, you work so hard on this I kinda wanna donate more to this project anyway haha)

guycalledfrank likes this.
  3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Just updated this with Box Projection support for cubemaps (see rev 4.0 here).

Don't you have Lumen and all? :D
    I feel like Epic is doing fine without me.

Wild guess: do you have an object named __ExportTerrain for some reason in your scene? If so, try deleting it. It should be deleted automatically, but maybe the bake process was interrupted in some unusual way?

But if the line number on your screenshot is correct, it seems like it's actually caused by Dither Transparency enabled + having a renderer with Null (empty/unset) material. Added a fix for that. Can you check it via the patcher?

4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Real-time lights work absolutely the same as with the default lightmapper, because lightmappers don't change neither the layers, nor the real-time lights.
    If you're using a deferred renderer, Unity has limited layered lighting support there. Forward should be fine. If you, however, can somehow manage to get the expected results with the default lightmapper and not with Bakery, then there must be a bug somewhere :confused:

Thanks! But sadly I didn't work on it yet :(
    Well, if you just want to, you can paypal me to guycalledfrankpaypal@gmail.com, but you definitely don't have to.

YoungDeveloper likes this.
  5. EVI_TD

EVI_TD

Hello! Im having some issues with the prefab lighmapping process.

I'm trying to bake the lightning in some prefabs, although it seems to work initially, the lighting is not saved in the prefab so when I try to add another instance of the same prefab it doesn't have the lighting that had previously been generated in the prefab.

upload_2024-4-16_0-15-49.png

The structure of the prefab is the next one:
    upload_2024-4-16_0-17-44.png

As you can see, after the lightmapping process a new object is added to the prefab, this has some information but this seems to take no effect in the new instances of the prefab.

Also, I can see some warning in the logs after the process ("NivelTest" was the previous name of the object, which is now "LevelTest")
    upload_2024-4-16_0-19-19.png

upload_2024-4-16_0-20-15.png

I would appreciate some support on this issue

Regards!

6. Minos321

Minos321

I found the culprit. I'm using a Height Fog script from the marketplace that for some reason had cast shadows on. Turning that off now it bakes consistently. This has been driving me mad for weeks!
    upload_2024-4-16_19-25-15.png

Strange that the skylight would still bake half the time.

7. Sholms

Sholms

Does the bakery have any way to store the directional normal / monoSH to the vertex color?

8. Enverex

Enverex

Nothing named __ExportTerrain in the scene at all but Dither Transparency fits the timeline as to when things stopped working in those areas. It's odd as the problem meshes (as I managed to track down one in one area) didn't have any complaints about missing materials or other issues and it displayed fine. However, everything works great again now with this patch so thanks!

9. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

You nailed the answer, we had Forward+ set, after switching back to Forward everything works as expected, thank you for your time. :)

10. fendercodes

fendercodes

@guycalledfrank hey, for a while on our project we've had an issue where .asset mesh files are being edited slightly after entering playmode. We're trying to nail down which asset in our project is causing this. Is it possible that Bakery is doing something as part of the logic that checks for UV issues?

upload_2024-4-20_7-5-16.png

11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

If there is this warning before the bake, it won't actually save the data. You need to apply overrides and make sure the warning is gone:

upload_2024-4-21_18-27-29.png

Yes! If you open my example_directional and example_directional_MonoSH scenes, they have these lovely vertex-baked spheres:

upload_2024-4-21_18-42-13.png

More details here: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Vertex_Lightmaps
    Specifically:

The data is stored in following vertex attributes:
    *Mesh.colors stores the color lightmap (or first coefficient of the SH lightmap).
    *Mesh.uv2 can store packed dominant direction, shadowmask and part of SH data.
    *Mesh.uv3 can store additional SH data.

Hmm it should only add extra data to *.meta files. If UV adjustment is enabled, and the scene is baked, it can reimport (in the beginning of a bake) some models using a different pack margin value, but that's it.

12. EVI_TD

EVI_TD

upload_2024-4-21_10-46-40.png

Im pressing "Apply All" in Overrides Section but the error message is still there, There is no difference in my prefab

13. EVI_TD

EVI_TD

Well, seems that the prefab lightning works fine if I remove my "Network Object" components, not really sure if this is a bakery bug since no modification is being made to network object component in the prefab, or if its a weird behaviour of my network framework

14. JasonB

JasonB

So not being able to use decals with Bakery is kind of a massive dealbreaker for me right now and I've spent hours trying to Frankenstein together existing Bakery nodes into a decal material that will actually show correctly, but I always get either completely transparent decals or ones that are fully lit and don't respect any sort of lighting data from Bakery. Anyone find workarounds?

Using URP, SH mode, Forward and Forward+, tried flipping between both decal modes, tried feeding volume data into it, etc. Nothing works.

Without decals I don't see how I could possibly detail my environments without baking unique textures for every single room of my building so I'm really curious what other people are doing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  15. Monil

Monil

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  16. RuleksGames

RuleksGames

Same Problem any fix for that?

17. mgear

mgear

disable xatlas,
    or if you need it, then enabling [x] post packing and [x] hole filling helped for this case..
    but later didnt have similar issues, even if those 2 selections were disabled, so not sure what was the cause.

18. Chimerabyte

Chimerabyte

Hello, I'm having a weird issue with bakery where it no longer seems to want to bake my lightmaps in a higher resolution, seeming to be stuck really small. This seems to only have started when I imported the 3D world building package pack in the unity registry, which includes Pro Builder, Polybrush, FBX Exporter, and Terrain Tools. Is there an incompatibility with one of these packages that's causing an issue or is something else going on? I'm on Unity 2022.3.6f1 making a map for vrchat. I'm not getting any errors in my console either.

Edit: So I did some more digging into my project and I happened to notice the lightmap scale for every single object in my scene somehow got set to 0. I hadn't even touched lightmap scale settings anywhere, so I don't know what happened. I can change the lightmaps to something else and the lighting will bake fine then, but how did this happen in the first place and is there a way to automatically fix them?

Also came across a bug, when trying to show the checker pattern in my scene, all of my trees exploded and became overwhelmingly huge. Running a render of the baked lighting fixed it, but it was strange.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  19. YigitCetinkaya

YigitCetinkaya

Hi Frank
    When I bake in L1 mode, there is a ringing problem with the light props. I browsed this forum and the unity forums and could not find a solution other than remove ringing, it is already open to me. In my project, I use Full Lightning, Sh mode and L1 bake and started using BakeyLit shader :). There is no ringing in Legacy mode. The comparison is as follows:
    L1Ringing.png

20. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

Hello,

I'm facing an issue where some of my meshes end up having a "checker" pattern. I've tried using different resolutions but that doesn't seem to fix it. What could be causing this?

checkers_02.png checkers_01.png Settings_01.PNG Settings_02.PNG

21. YigitCetinkaya

YigitCetinkaya

It seems like I experienced a similar situation. Can you open an empty scene and try to bake the distorted meshes in that scene with the same settings?

22. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

If I isolate the meshes that are affected the issue seems to go away...
    upload_2024-4-26_10-21-15.png

Could it be the the objects which are casting shadows on top of my mesh are somehow broken?
    upload_2024-4-26_10-22-34.png

The "sand pile" mesh itself is really simple. Maybe the scale is the issue as I've scaled it up quite a lot (by ~100 or so)
    upload_2024-4-26_10-24-14.png

The thing that confuses me is that I use the same mesh at multiple locations and only a couple of places on the level seem to exhibit this issue.

Edit 01:
    Edit 02:
    The links I posted didn't really help, still stuck on this issue :( The long bake times don't help...

Edit 03:
    Found a workaround:
    • Imported the affected meshes into Blender
    • Subdivided twice
    • Applied smoothing
    • Exported
    • Re-baked lighting
    The issue is slightly visible in some places still, but its way less noticeable.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  23. YigitCetinkaya

YigitCetinkaya

Here is my situation same project same settings same mesh just different scene
    Ekran görüntüsü 2024-04-26 162152.png
    Ekran görüntüsü 2024-04-26 162210.png

24. adgasparro

adgasparro

I've just started experimenting with Bakery Sectors to pretty good success for a VR project and have just gotten used to using it to iterate on various parts of a scene multiple times a day. Today I ran into a hard wall where Bakery now refuses to bake any further with any selected sector. Once it starts Bounce 0 for Scene_VLM it hard crashes with a "ftraceRTX error: Unknown error (-1073741819) on my local machine (no server), while throwing me a "Possible incompatible RTX mode" message, while I'm using RTX, OpenImage, on a 3080Ti with the most recent drivers.

edit: It turns out it was because I had a Bakery Direct Light component without a Unity Direct Light component attached to it.

25. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm that might be related to that networking component you have. Apparently it's constantly overriding that k__backingField in editor.
    Anyway, you can ignore this validation, by adding "return true;" to the beginning of IsValid() function in BakeryLightmappedPrefab.cs:

upload_2024-4-28_23-34-17.png

I could make it a built-in option, but I'm afraid to do that to prevent people from accidentally saving unwanted changes into prefabs forever.

What happens if you try? Do they look darker? Which is possible because Unity decal shaders think it's a normal (non SH) lightmap.

I should just release that without the runtime part so you don't have to deal with Unity decals :D
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/decalery-aka-bakery-decals.1373097/

Does option A sound good to you?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/decalery-aka-bakery-decals.1373097/#post-9715735

That's a good question :eek:

There is one place where Bakery does this:

upload_2024-4-28_23-41-53.png

... which is preparing for light probe bake. Because dealing with light probes in Unity is messy and needs the built-in lightmapper to prepare the lighting data asset.
    However, when it's done or canceled, it reverts the scale-in-lightmap values back. The only case I can imagine is causing the script to error/recompile during light probe preparation, getting it stuck and then saving the scene.

Does it do it permanently?...
    Checker Preview overrides viewport shaders. It also uses MaterialPropertyBlocks to set lightmap ID/size visualization properties to objects. MaterialPropertyBlocks can break batching/instancing on objects until they're reset (scene reload, entering/exiting playmode). I don't know how your trees are implemented, but it might be related if they're e.g. instancing-dependent.

Hmm can you use the legacy mode, or is it too slow? You can also enable this option with it:

Weird! It's a mesh, not a terrain, right? Might be related to broken normals or normals being too different from the actual shape (e.g. a cube with normals of a sphere). If it goes away when disabling "Adjust sample positions", then that's it. But then you also lose some light leaking fixes. So instead you can also try disabling this:

upload_2024-4-28_23-57-29.png

So yeah, looking at your mesh and the fact that it helped, clearly it's related to that mesh just really pushing the limits of the shape-vs-normal discrepancy. It's 3 straight lines with shading pretending it's a round half-sphere. Disabling the smooth position algorithm will probably fix that artifact specifically but introduce different ones, like the ones you can see here in my article: https://ndotl.wordpress.com/#shadowterm
    If you can live with a bit of additional subdivision, it's definitely better to keep the algorithm enabled, as it fixes most lowpoly-normals-related problems.

This seems to be UV-related. What even happened to UVs in scene 1? Is it really the same mesh as in scene 2?
    Just in case: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._in_one_scene_breaks_its_UVs_in_another_scene

Also, just added this option today (you can get it via the patcher):

upload_2024-4-29_0-5-55.png

It should solve the most typical annoying cases. Basically it tells Bakery to only adjust UV padding if it was never previously done to a mesh.

Hmmm that shouldn't lead to a crash. In fact, it's totally valid to not have a Unity light on the game object. Is there a chance you can reproduce it on a small scene?

EdEddnEddy likes this.
  26. YigitCetinkaya

YigitCetinkaya

Hi Frank I am having problems with uv packing on iOS computers. Bake with xatlas to try. I know it doesn't work on iOS. So I took out mobile tf without opening the scene, there was no problem. Then, I baked and pushed with default packing to continue working on iOS users. There is no problem with ligthmap UVs on Windows computers, but iOS ones are broken. I browsed the Bakery wiki, it was written that we should reimport the products with borken UV, I tried it and it gave an error, what should I do?
    Ekran görüntüsü 2024-04-29 142723.png
    Ekran görüntüsü 2024-04-29 142806.png
    Actually, the ligthmaps are the same, the placement on them is different. Here is the error message when reimporting:
    Image3.png

ismailgms_ likes this.
  27. NoxityGames

NoxityGames

I'm still having major issues with volumes - specifically, the output of volumes seems to be... flipped?
    Here is an image to illustrate:
    upload_2024-5-3_3-6-18.png

This happens no matter the Volume or bake settings used. Any idea what could be causing it?

28. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Will the better lit shader support for bakery ever be fixed? Whenever someone asks in the discord Jason says "its up to Frank", whenever someone asks in here its up to Jason.

29. NoxityGames

NoxityGames

Here's another image to show the issues with volumes, here in a standalone scene.

Reference (baked with Lightmaps):
    upload_2024-5-3_3-27-10.png

Volumes:
    upload_2024-5-3_3-27-23.png

In this case, all geometry is using Volumes - no lightmaps or probes.

30. miinoy

miinoy

I'm wondering this as well lol. If i had to only choose two assets for my project its Bakery and BetterLitShader haha.

I've refrained from updating bakery because it seems BLS is broken in the newest version and also doesnt work with specular occlusion. I feel like it IS absolutely up to Jason of course so i think as far as Bakery and BLS go were kinda just stuck on the older version of Bakery and probably shouldnt update BLS either

31. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You can't use xatlas as Unwrapper and open it on a Mac because it needs to re-run the unwrapper locally, and it's not compiled for Mac. You can use xatlas as the Atlas Packer though. Usually it's enough + faster, I recommend default Unwrapper + xatlas for Atlas Packing as the most balanced combo: https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1231890428313600000

"It's up to Jason" :D
    There is an unfortunate situation with me not understanding his code and him not understanding mine. But I'm not paid for BetterLit, and my shader feature implementations are open-source (e.g. see functions inside BakeryDecodeLightmap.hlsl you can grab from my URP graphs: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Bakery_-_GPU_Lightmapper - most of the graphs are just using custom code chunks with functions from this file) and can be used by anyone to integrate in their shaders.

Wrote some basic guide today:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Integrating_Bakery_shader_features_to_custom_shaders

Are you offseting the sampling position? You need to do something like (worldPos + worldNormal * worldSpaceVoxelSize) before converting it to volume UVW. My shaders don't do that because you don't need it for dynamic objects in the scene - but you must do it if you want to read the volume on the static objects; otherwise they're sampling somewhere inside themselves.
    I can actually add such offset parameter to my shaders, but it will add a bit of extra complexity to all cases...

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  32. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

This is an ongoing saga, but Jason is not paid for Bakery either, at least he says so.
    So it's either up to a person who uses both and wants to get best of both, or the two of you come to an agreement, which currently seems unlikely. Or do we crowdfund and pay either of you?

To be honest, I want the best of both; and I want to drop neither BLS nor Bakery. But before coming to that point, I'd assume that it'd be possible to get the BakeryDecodeLightmap.hlsl and have it as a Stackable into Better Shaders? And Jason may be willing to integrate it into BLS, or I'd end up with yet another thing I'd have to maintain at my hands, like any of us doesn't have enough already.

He says that you provided the original Stackable for BS, but it's not updated against the newer versions, so is it possible to get that original stackable and let me, or other people, preferably more experienced with shader kind of type people, look at that and see where it goes?

I get it, I myself hate to maintain custom solutions I gathered/provided over the years. I still maintain the Custom PP DLSS fix as a whole HDRP package and all that manual work makes me vomit, but there are a lot of people who wants the best of both assets, so I assume a solution would naturally come up.

33. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

OK, I'll figure something out.

miinoy, stoppo and TanselAltinel like this.
  34. NoxityGames

NoxityGames

Oh so it's related to an object being static vs dynamic? Yeah, I would love if you could add support for using volumes on static objects. Perhaps an optional shader variant that supports this if it adds too much base complexity?

I could also attempt to make these patches to the shaders myself if you could inform me where they need to be made.

However, I will need to note one major concern - these issues seem to be present in the baked volumes themselves (note the marked discontinuities) :

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  35. NoxityGames

NoxityGames

Image from my previous post reuploaded:
    Unity_RMn225jAsq.png

36. YigitCetinkaya

YigitCetinkaya

I understand the situation. But I already baked it again with default packaging and pushed it to the version control system. However, it still behaves like xatlas on Mac computers. How do I get rid of this situation? When I re-import the meshes, it gives the error in the previous question.
    Looks like the old settings are still there somehow.We uninstalled the project, bakey and reinstalled it, deleted the library, but it didn't work.

Edit:
    Problem Fixed
    I uninstalled Bakery, then installed the asset store version and baked again. When I pushed this bake with version control, everything was fine. Then I did all the updates and baked again, no problem :D.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  37. miinoy

miinoy

I will take a look at those tutorials on Shader integration so thank you for that. I am on HDRP so not sure if this is a URP or BiRP thing atm?

I'd legit pay hundreds for an Update that somehow made BLS compatible with Bakery haha.

It seems if you want to have good lighting and performance you use Bakery and BetterShaders framework. Anecdotally I've seen dozens of people (esp VRChat devs) who use both daily. Of course this makes it more complicated for people who use the SRP's because Unity likes to break everything every. single. time.

It does seem that Jason can sometimes (and rightfully so on occasion) be stubborn so i'm hoping if you were able to get in touch something could be worked out. As far as continuous support for each other (Bakery + BLS) even just one update per LTS seems reasonable. Cant expect these things to be compatible every release (especially with 6000) when Jason has to constantly rewrite things.

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So as for now I can't see a better parameterization for SH reflection occlusion, I made it tweakable in the shader UI (no need to mess with Bakery.cginc anymore):

upload_2024-5-12_17-6-19.png

You can get it via the patcher/github.

I've also updated BakeryURPLit graph (rev 6.0) with similar controls:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CB6u60EuQdynxwswnWAKAJ6Hby74_NBX/view?usp=sharing

upload_2024-5-12_17-40-16.png

Here you go:

upload_2024-5-12_22-8-55.png

You can try it via the patcher/github. Hopefully it won't make build times longer, since Unity loves to include every unused keyword combination.

I think you could also try rebaking with Asset UV Processing = Remove Adjustments; then again, with your preferred values, but make sure that Unwrapper is not set to xatlas.

I tested it on BiRP and URP for now, so not sure about HDRP. I'll update HDRP graphs soon too.

Working on it. Any specific things you want to use and can't?

39. Game-Dragon

Game-Dragon

The biggest thing for me would be MonoSH support.

stoppo and guycalledfrank like this.
  40. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

It may not mean much, but I'd like to give my heartfelt sincere thanks.

41. miinoy

miinoy

Well, Specular Occlusion feature is one of the newer features i'd really like to use.

Also I was having issues with the newer version of Bakery + BLS. So i am on the old one now but am not sure if these things were fixed already but i have noticed a few issues (Using HDRP and BLS).

-Using Volume Rotation seems to sometimes completely break lighting on materials that use it.

-In the newest release of Bakery when using BLS there seem to be major issues with specular? Like others have mentioned it will sometimes get rid of all specular highlights at least when using SH. From my limited testing with the new bakery version this was often the case after a bake when using BLS. Since BLS didnt support Specular Occlusion or the newer features i just rolled my project to use the LAST version of Bakery. (I Think that PrimeDerektive guy in your Discord posted screenshots of the issue he uses Built In Rp + BLS).

-I'd like to update to the new version again because it sounds like HDRP is better supported (matching skybox for example). But I literally use BLS for 95% of all materials and use Bakery Extensively.

Side Tangent/Question: How would you recommend i do LightmapPrefab rooms where i can turn the power on or off? I cant remember if you responded to me before about this and cant find it but I wasn't sure how to switch lightmaps since bakery uses three or four i think?

42. UmutNS

UmutNS

@guycalledfrank How can I use spherical harmonics with HDRP ? I've read the documentation but it mentions using a special shader. Can't I bake spherical harmonics onto materials that use HDRP/Lit ? If not, is there a substitute shader that I can use in place of HDRP/Lit? I can't see it under Bakery shaders category.