Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Well it's the only way I can specify it to OIDN. Apparently it tries to outsmart us and clamp the cores to the physical limit anyway.

But

What does it compare? It's not old vs new (as it's exactly the same), right?

2. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No no, it's the time it gets to denoise directional vs color lightmaps, both in a single Bakery run using either the old or the new version of the CPU denoiser. It's the same time for both versions.
    But as you can see, denoising directional lightmaps is reaaaaly slow :p

guycalledfrank likes this.
  3. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I mean, when you render "directional" + Full Lighting, it renders 2 images per lightmap texture: one is the color lightmap with all the lighting baked in color pixels, and the other one is the directional lightmap, with dominant light direction coded in RGB.
    The denoiser takes nearly twice the time to denoise the directional image than the color image.

4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

It does not compare with anything, I just put that here for the record, in case you submited a new version of the exe that actually uses all the cores, then I would put the new times in a new post and then we could compare.

5. namcap

namcap

Hi, I'm using the BakeryURPVolumeGraph shader for my materials on some non-static objects so that they work with Bakery Volumes. In scenes with a Bakery Volume and baked lighting, this works as expected.

In scenes without a Bakery Volume and without baked lighting, the objects seem to be illuminated by some invisible lights. These lights look as though they come from the previous scene that had the Bakery Volume, and are being carried over into a new scene.

Is this a bug or is this working as intended? If this is working as intended, then is the only fix to bake lighting in every single scene?

For reference, I am on the latest version of Bakery (1.9)

6. Noors84

Noors84

Sadly i'm pretty sure, with both atlasers. I'll make some sample scenes asap.
    But it's a nice addition anyway. imo Unity behavior is way more consistent and predictible. And convenient for people who would like to convert there scene to bakery and vice versa. I get it must be complex with the different atlasers.
    Thanks !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  7. Noors84

Noors84

Ok, so here is a simple test.
    Unity 2021.2.0
    Bakery 1.9 (package manager)

The original quad size is 1 unit.
    It is linear with Unity, and would be what i expect. Even if get that you might stretch things a bit to optimize lightmap size/numbers.

With Bakery Alternate Scale...not so logical.
    Default packer
    Padding is at 0
    • The texel ratio is basically never respected.
    • Ratio isn't consistent across scaled objects
    • Lightmap scale 2/4/8/16, almost no change.
    • A square with 16 in lightmap scale has a lower resolution than a square with lightmap scale at 2 :confused:
    • when i up the min resolution, it tends to look more linear, but still the ratio are wonky. Texel ratios are like doubling while they shouldnt.
    With xatlas, basically ratio is always the same, and is also oddly changing with min resolution.

I've joined the quads setup.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  8. StarCoop

StarCoop

Hi,

first of all: thanks for your support here in this forum!
    I can send you a sample scene, but I hope a quick screenshot will do as well:

upload_2021-8-11_8-15-16.png

So this is our factory hall. You can see the baked sunlight with beautiful shadows on the floor.
    There is a bunch of ceiling lights, but for reasons of simplicity, these lights shall not be realized by 20+ baked light sources. Instead, a simple top-down directional light shall be used.
    This light shall only affect the floor, the machines (like the forklift you can see) and some props. Not the details at the walls, the exit signs, etc.
    This inner directional light obviously must not be shadowed by the ceiling as well.

9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Great test, thanks.

(TLDR: things were patched)

So with the original (non-alternative) packing logic it doesn't actually look too bad (but kinda not uniform):

upload_2021-8-11_14-33-33.png

Using alt. scale (default atlas packer), we get this oddness with some quads looking identical, even with different scale value:

upload_2021-8-11_14-35-34.png

It actually happens because the algorithm is two-pass. It splits the scene into some lightmaps, then it also tries to join these into larger lightmaps, if possible. If we comment JointAutoAtlases() in ftBuildGraphis.cs, we can see this:

upload_2021-8-11_14-37-53.png

So actually these 3 large quads in the end were assigned different lightmaps in the first pass. And because lightmaps must be power-of-two, they were all rounded to 128x128, as none of them was large enough to take 256x256.

Increasing minimum lightmap scale fixes it, as there is no rounding in the first pass anymore:

upload_2021-8-11_14-45-20.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    atomicjoe likes this.
  10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Moving to the xatlas-based atlaser, it looks like there is some bug, everything looks the same:

upload_2021-8-11_14-47-5.png

There was actually a bug! Apparently I didn't fully patch xatlas to work with the alt.scale mode. Just pushed a fix, you should be able to get it via the patcher.
    Now it looks like this:

upload_2021-8-11_14-47-0.png

Some quads have exactly the same min. resolution problem. Increasing min resolution fixes it:

upload_2021-8-11_14-47-46.png

atomicjoe likes this.
  11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Question is: why is tweaking min resolution even necessary? It's not intuitive. Turns out, it's because when deciding for a new atlas resolution, Bakery didn't really take scale-in-lightmap into account (in alt. scale mode). It's only based on the summed area of all objects. Can I fix it?

OK, I fixed it (for xatlas mode).

This is how it looks now with alt. scale enabled and min resolution unchanged. Scale-In-Lightmap now affects initial atlas resolution, so increasing min resolution is unnecessary. Additionally I disabled some rounding in alt. scale mode. This means some lightmaps may have more empty space around borders, but they will be closer to the desired density.

upload_2021-8-11_19-32-13.png

Can you check this patch?

Noors84 likes this.
  12. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Why only xatlas?

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yeah, the graph doesn't really know if there are any volumes in the scene. Even if it did, it would be kinda expensive to have the volume-reading shader in a non-volume scene.

I see, this explains a lot.
    Is there any reason to go with the fake lighting approach? Do you want the directional light to be mixed, i.e. also cast real-time shadows from some objects? If not, perhaps it's better to use a more realistic setup? E.g. simply one directional for the sun, one skylight, plus light meshes for the lamps? Did you avoid it because baking that many light meshes was slow? 20+ baked lights doesn't actually sound too bad for the bake time, and it would produce a more realistic image.
    Currently there is no way to filter which objects cast shadows from which light. Bitmasks are just for filtering which light rays are allowed to affect which geometry.

There are many layers of nonsense in the original packer. Kinda hard to untangle. "xatlas" is not just xatlas, but a large, newer, better thought-out layer of atlas generating logic around it. It's much easier to maintain.

namcap likes this.
  14. Noors84

Noors84

Thanks for investigating !
    Ok...but i'm not sure why you try to round to a lower res in the 1st place. It should pick the minimal resolution that could handle the ratio i want imo, until the 4k limit.
    Also when i set the "min lightmap" to a big resolution like 4k, the texel ratios are getting bigger aswell. Is this because you fill the maximum space in the texture ? I guess so, because if i add more lightmapped objects, it tends to limit this effect.
    And yet sometimes depending the number of lightmapped objects, i can't reach the ratio i want, even with min at 4k
    I think your texture space optimisations are confusing me :D

Hang on, i didnt read your last post. Stupid forum is hiding messages...
    But it sounds great. Testing...

15. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Oh, you mean the ATLAS PACKER!
    I was thinking about the unwrapper, which I don't use because it's way too slow and sometimes hang.

By the way, new Nvidia drivers showed up: Optix 7 is even more buggy (all black now, unkown error thrown) and Optix 6 doesn't work anymore (Same as 7), so GPU denoiser is completely unavailable now on Bakery :(
    (Optix 5 doesn't work on RTX cards)
    I'm stuck with CPU denoising, whose quality is flawless but is much slower than the actual render of the lightmaps! lol :rolleyes:

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes, it's the packer, not the unwrapper :)

Oh no. I'll get some test data and send it to NV.

atomicjoe likes this.
  17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

BTW, if it happens on your machine as well, and just to eliminate a possibility of some driver-related error in the pre-denoised lightmap, can you bake example_sponza_day without the denoise option and send me BakeryTempPath\example_sponza_day_LM0_final_HDR.lz4 ?

18. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Here you go: LINK

19. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

And those are the version 6 and 7 outputs:

OPTIX 6

OPTIX 7

I created a clean project for this btw.

RTX 3090 studio drivers v471.68

20. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The LZ4 file was rendered WITHOUT denoiser.

21. Noors84

Noors84

Ok, this is much better ! Much more consistent and close to Unity behavior. Great !

1 observation tho :

These are the texel per unit i kinda get in my test scene with 0 padding :

1.5 instead of 2
    3.5 instead of 4
    7.5 intsead of 8
    11.5 instead of 16
    23.5 instead of 32
    45.5 instead of 64

So it's not totally linear.
    Changing slightly the texel per unit doesnt always change the displayed ratio.
    Looks like it always result in a .5 value, whatever scale/padding values.
    Is there still some rounding going on ?

edit : i wouldn't mind the uv to be scaled up to fill the entire uv space tho. Else is just a waste of texture space.

Also (and i'm not sure how to formulate this), do you check geometry area against uv area in the packing process? Or do you assume UV's fill 100% of uv space ? It could explain some inconsistency on my side but I noticed that Unity has the same behavior anyway.

Thanks !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  22. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I'm having some problems with downsized directional maps showing UV seams and I have noticed there is always a half texel seam no matter what I do.
    I'm still investigating this, as the seam isn't visible on the color lightmap but is actually very visible in the directional one. I guess there is some bilinear filtering issue when sampling the directional lightmap.
    I'm using the directional information for specular highlighting on a custom shader and it's very noticeable.
    Any insights on this, @guycalledfrank ?

23. Noors84

Noors84

A different beast to handle.
    Yeah maybe related to padding and downsampling. I don't know if Bakery is extending the pixels.
    Directional maps have the same caveats as normal maps, with hard edges/uv split.

atomicjoe likes this.
  24. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Ok, I have found that extending the padding in Bakery's preferences to 32 texels allows me to downsample the directional lightmap up to 16 times without seams now.
    However, inspecting the lightmaps, I see there is a lot of EMPTY space between UV layouts.
    I mean, yeah, that's what's padding used for, but I was expecting the padding pixels to repeat the closest UV color to fix filtering seams and that's not the case.
    The seams are fixed though, so... I don't know :confused::D

25. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I'm using Bakery's "Scale per map" feature for this, btw.
    I thought that would take care of it by itself, but it didn't. I have to manually set the padding in the preferences.
    Maybe it does different things?

26. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Ooook, I get it now:
    For lightmap downsizing to work without seams, you have to set the "Scale per map" to the desired downsize multiplier PLUS setting the texel padding MANUALLY to something way higher than default.
    For x16 downsizing, I set the "Scale per map" feature to 16 and the Texel Padding in the preferences to 16 too.
    Then, there are no noticeable seams when downsampled and there is no wasted space in the generated lightmaps.

I haven't been able to downsize the textures to less than 16 though: 32 and 64 divisors always make noticeable seams with directional lightmaps, no matter what I set the padding to.

27. Noors84

Noors84

I get padding is just the space in pixels between each object uv's when packing at full res.
    So, if you want to downsample maps, you have to increase your padding to let enough space for "bigger" pixels
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding
    This is for mipmaps, but same principle.

But looking at the directional map dilation, it's obvious it might create artefacts.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  28. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Is it possible to use Bakery Lightmapped Prefab without the Bakery plugin?
    Or what is the minimal Bakery setup - not to bake - but use the lightmaps only?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  29. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No.
    Check the manual and faqs of bakery, it explains how to remove the baker from a project in order to share it with others without distributing the whole plugin.

tomekkie2 likes this.
  30. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Thank you.
    That is in the "How do I..." section.
    Is it possible to export a ligmapped prefab inside AssetBundle and load it at runtime to other app? Has anyone tried this?
    I have noticed - first of all - the lightmap encoding in the loading app can not be lower than this in the exporting app. (build settings/other)

Looks like the lightmaps get imported twice:
    The below image shows the scene lightmap info before export. The asset bundle browser shows three maps only as well:
    exported_scene.png

This is the lightmap info on the imported scene, it shows twice as much lightmaps: asb_imported.png
    The scene was loaded additively, but the starting scene was empty.
    The first three maps are like original and the next three are duplicates.
    Who could me explain this?
    I have tested a number of projects and a number of scenes and it has always worked like that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  31. scarletslavi

scarletslavi

Is the gpu raytracing source included with this asset? / I'm also wondering if it would be possible to commandeer the raytracing pipeline to build a realtime GI solution?

32. StarCoop

StarCoop

Hi there,

sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what's the way to go if I want to have only one lightmap (4k x 4k) for the whole scene?
    Need to put my factory hall on an Oculus Quest 2 and the proposed amount of lightmaps is one for the whole scene.

33. Noors84

Noors84

@guycalledfrank
    I have tearing and shifting of shadows on low poly objects.
    Unchecking "generate smooth positions" fixes the issue. Is there any reason to not uncheck it ?

Also, what would be a workaround to anti alias very sharp shadows (e.g sunlight). Up a bit shadow spread ? Rendering at higher res then downsampling ?

Thanks.

You could attach the script "bakery lightmap group selector" to objects or parent of objects, and create/assign the same lightmap group. So basically if you have one parent for all your 3d objects, you only need to set the script once.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  34. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No, because it uses an Nvidia library for that inside a DLL: Nvidia Optix
    But you can download it from Nvidia directly if you want, it's free.
    Bakery itself will not work in realtime though, since it's designed to be an editor only tool.
    However, nothing prevents you from modifying the Bakery source and adapt it to work at runtime if you are a programmer and know your stuff.
    Although it will not be easy and Nvidia's Optix will only work on Nvidia graphic cards and is very slow anyway.

scarletslavi likes this.
  35. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

I am baking at high resolutions, but the points where the floor and wall meet seem to just draw completely black shading, almost like ambient occlusion, but ambient occlusion is off.

I can see that the resolution isn't allowing a gradual grade of fidelity, but it seems unreasonable that I should have to crank my resolution up extremely high just to get a natural looking corner.

Attached are images and my settings. How should I create realistic, non-blocky shading between my walls and floors?

Note: there is an optical illusion that makes it look like the wall is above the floor, but I can confirm that the wall extends into the floor.

3.PNG 2.PNG 1.PNG 3.PNG 2.PNG 1.PNG

36. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Something is wrong with your scene: I'm baking at 30 texels per unit and I have better resolution than those screenshots.
    Also, I don't get those black borders either.
    Are you importing your models from another software? It may be that your models are imported way too tiny.
    Just a shot in the dark but try increasing the Texel Padding (try 8, 16 or 32 to check) in the Bakery section of your Project Properties.
    It could fix those edges, but the scale in your scene is off anyway.
    Make sure 1 unit in unity is like 1 meter in real life (3.28 feet / 39.37 inches).
    Everything in Unity expects this scale, from physics to the lightmaps.

JamieVRcade likes this.
  37. muneeebrehman41

muneeebrehman41

Hello, I have an issue with lightmaps scaling in the bakery, I have no control over the texels division of meshes.
    how can I scale a lightmap on an object which is demonstrated by the checker preview option in the bakery?

The blue circled checks are smaller compare to the red circled, is there any way to adjust these maps manually. the bakery did it automatically which is sometimes not required for me.
    Note:
    the blue circled mesh is separate from the red circled mesh.
    and below image shows my bakery settings.

thanks. I hope you will reply to me quickly as I am stuck with this.

SC 01.png SC 02.png

38. Safe_T_cube

Safe_T_cube

Trying to use volumes, but the Bakery/Standard shader isn't working (hot pink). Is there something special you have to do to get it to work in URP?

39. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yes it is: in the Mesh Renderer component of the objects you can specify the scale in the lightmaps of each specific object.
    It works the same for Unity lightmapper and Bakery. Just be sure to update Bakery to it's latest version using the included updater in the Bakery menu, as scales were updated recently.

40. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

Thanks for this. There are human models in the scene, so I am using cubes and capsules to measure and the scale seems appropriate. I was really hoping that was the culprit!

I adjusted the texel padding to 16 with no change.

41. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

I don't know if it's related, but I am getting these errors each time I bake (Light Bar is an emissive capsule I made with the Bakery light mesh script attached):

GetUID failed for Light Bar
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    ftRenderLightmap:GetID (UnityEngine.Object) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:7643)
    ftRenderLightmap:GetLightName (UnityEngine.GameObject,int) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:7651)
    ftRenderLightmap/<RenderLMDirect>d__304:MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:8237)
    ftRenderLightmap/<RenderLightmapFunc>d__282:MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:5832)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:4601)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

42. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

any error will prevent the script to execute all what it has to do, so yes, that's an issue.
    Try disabling that object and bake again.
    Also there is an option in the Bakery menu to clean up all bakery config in the scene. If your scene has get corrupted somehow, this would fix it.
    Bakery stores invisible objects in your scene to store it's config and enumerate lightmaps, if at any time the render failed or the scene was merged or something like that, it con corrupt them.

JamieVRcade likes this.
  43. hubrobin

hubrobin

Is there anything special I need to do in order to have alpha clipping being picked up by Bakery when using Amplify Shader Editor? I do have the meta pass generated and I do have the relevant properties named _MainTex, _Cutoff, _BaseColor. I tried making the properties match the URP Lit.shader naming (where it works), but no dice.

44. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

I have patched Bakery and there are no errors now, just this warning:

Material Light doesn't have meta pass - maps are taken by name
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    ftUVGBufferGen:RenderUVGBuffer (UnityEngine.Mesh,UnityEngine.Renderer,UnityEngine.Vector4,UnityEngine.Transform,bool,UnityEngine.Vector2[],bool,bool) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftUVGBufferGen.cs:303)
    ftBuildGraphics/<ExportScene>d__234:MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:7692)
    ftRenderLightmap/<RenderLightmapFunc>d__284:MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:5306)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:4637)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

The bake has the same issue. Interestingly, two Unity generated cubes stacked on each other don't have the issue at the point where they meet, but the cube on the bottom DOES have the issue where it meets the floor. So Unity geo on Unity geo is fine, but model geo on Unity geo causes the issue to be present on Unity geo, and model geo on model geo causes the issue as well.

4.PNG

The problem with the floor goes away when I tell it to NOT cast shadows. So it seems that the floor is somehow casting a shadow from underneath, even when there is only one directional light and I set the bounce to 0.

Attached Files:

• 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      588.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  45. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

There must be some problem with the normals of the model. Try setting the model to generate the normals and tangents instead of importing them, in the model importer properties in unity.
    Also make sure the "generate lightmap UVs" is enabled in there.

46. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

It looks like it was the models. I had done a few things to them when the unpatched Bakery wasn't working properly. I started over with the patched Bakery and the raw model and the issue is gone. Thanks so much for your help!

47. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

guycalledfrank and JamieVRcade like this.
  48. JamieVRcade

JamieVRcade

Hahaha! Yes.

49. orzech123

orzech123

Hello,

I am new on this forrum and I am coming with some problem with lightmaps after baking on the lowpoly scene from Synty Studios. My goal is to have nice-looking lightmapped office scene which has dark directional light which imitates the night and three point lights (white, green and red). Although, when habing realtime unity lights it's ok, but after baking with Bakery it does not look good. Screenshots below. Can someone explain how to achive good looking lightmaps on such scene?

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      384.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      265.5 KB
      Views:
  50. StarCoop