Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Phazorknight

Phazorknight

Thanks for getting back to me. Buildings are all a couple of meters high. My Texels are set to 20, if I go any higher, the bake usually crashes for my scene. I've just rebaked the light and it still all occurs. Attached the same view straight from the editor once unlit and once with scene lighting. You can clearly see that for example not all the fence meshes and the bush is not getting picked up.

Another issue I have is that it seems bakery is maybe scrambling the lightmap UVs somehow? I have this house prefab that freshly dropped in the scene looks like this:
    BLM_20200516_housePrefab_fresh.PNG

After baking it turns out like this:
    BLM_20200516_housePrefab_UV.PNG
    You can clearly see the window shadows are all over the place.... what could cause this?

Attached Files:

2. KospY

KospY

@guycalledfrank
    I tried the option "remove UV adjustments"on both computers, but this still doesn't work. Lightmaps are always wrong on the computer that didn't baked. We use GIT on the whole project and we didn't see any changes elsewhere o_O
    I tried to create a new scene, copy-paste everything in it, rebake, transfer, and the problem is still there.
    Any other ideas?

@Object-Null Did the fix proposal from guycalledfrank worked for you?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. andrewc

andrewc

@guycalledfrank

I think I saw a small bug, maybe known issue but I had a light that was set to cubemap but the cubemap ref was null, which caused an ambiguous error message. Anyway, I tracked it down and fixed but wanted to flag if it was an unknown problem.

Thanks for a great plug-in! :)

4. jeremedia

jeremedia

Hi All.

I’m looking for a way to bake the bake: to merge the Bakery-generated maps with the underlying textures, or any way to not require the hidden Bakery script for loading and applying the Bakery textures on scene load.

I’m preparing baked scenes for use in AltspaceVR, which allows you to publish Unity scenes as “templates”. However, these scenes cannot contain scripts. The Unity Lightmapper output does work, but I’d prefer to use Bakery’s output for all the obvious reasons.

Any ideas or leads would be much appreciated.

5. Object-Null

Object-Null

@KospY @guycalledfrank I tried the metod too but no succes.
    I cleared the baked data from the utilities tab and created a new bake with the "remove UV adjustments" selected. but still the same result.

Is the uv data stored on different files aswell? does the bake also been stored in the FTlocal and FTglobal files?

6. KospY

KospY

Thanks for your reply.

I tried removing or syncing the FTlocal and FTglobal files but that doesn't seem to change anything. I also tried to clear GI cache without success. I'm really running out of options. And GIT doesn't detect any changes elsewhere, must be something in the Unity cache or computer related...
    Are you on 2019.3 with URP too?

I also found that once I baked a scene with bakery, it broke the unity lightmap. If I rebake with Unity everything look fine, but once I close the scene and re-open it the lightmaps is gone. The only way from there to fix the scene is to create a new one, copy paste everything in it and rebake o_O

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  7. Object-Null

Object-Null

@KospY yes im using the same unity version as you. yes maybe some library stuff, but that is not shareable. if i find a fix I will let you know.

8. Graham-B

Graham-B

Thanks! Is there any documentation on this small modification that we can use in our own shaders?

Edit: Are you referring to the shader tweaks menu? Would it be the bicubic interpolation for lightmaps or the physical light falloff, or both?

9. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No. But inspecting the shader code is pretty straightforward if you know how to code shaders.
    It all boils down to the method "shEvaluateDiffuseL1Geomerics" in "Bakery.cginc", although I don't recommend you to use it: using L2 light probes (Bakery's Legacy light probes) with a modified coefficient will give you better performance AND visual quality, as per my tests, since the changes are baked.
    Just follow Frank's advice: modify the "ftRenderLightmap.cs" "irradianceConvolution" values multiplying them by 0.6 and use the Legacy light probe generation.
    Or maybe wait until Frank exposes this values in the GUI.

guycalledfrank and Graham-B like this.
  10. GreaserMonkey

GreaserMonkey

Thaaaanks! It was the per-pixel light limit! This problem was driving me crazy :D

Edit > Project Settings > Quality

guycalledfrank likes this.
  11. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

In regards to the project organisation, everything is in the base directory, it would be much tidier if these were at least organised in to a subfolders. At the moment, the project file structure is really messy. This should not be an issue, as Unity keeps track of asset locations.

Here's an example of what I mean, which took me 30s to find on google.
    https://blog.theknightsofunity.com/7-ways-keep-unity-project-organized/

12. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Or... just don't look at it! :D

13. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

Would take less than 5 minutes to do a little organizing of asset folders and everyone wins.

14. Object-Null

Object-Null

@KospY I did a little quick fix, by deleting the library ( i did it on both machines, but maybe it also work only to use the machine your baking on). then led it load in the library again. After that i had to use the "reimport" button on my models folder. ofcourse this is not the way todo it. but that worked on my side for now

15. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

It seems like the RTPreview tool has problems with mesh lights. Sometimes it shows good lights in the preview but very different lights in the final bake. When im scaling the mesh to a bigger size there are less light dots on other surfaces in the preview.

16. Object-Null

Object-Null

Hello,

im having a issue where my scene becomes green after baking. (it should be white and grey)

which is confusing. I stripped the whole scene but i cant figure out what the problem could be.
    i already copy pased the asset to a new scene but i get the same result.

i also have read something about a memory issue. but that can't be it?
    i baked this scene before, and it was perfect. but the uv storage was wrong on my other pc. so i baked a progressive map. which is of course not what i want. i deleted the library and baked again. other scenes it is working as it should be. but only this specific scenes bakes in green...

any clue what is going on here?

edit:
    im also getting this warning multiple times:

Material light doesn't have meta pass - maps are taken by name
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ftUVGBufferGen:RenderUVGBuffer(Mesh, Material[], Vector4, Matrix4x4, Boolean, Vector2[], Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftUVGBufferGen.cs:255)
    <ExportScene>d__199:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:6209)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__252:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:4320)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3740)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  17. Object-Null

Object-Null

Ok i figured out it had something todo with the Material warnings. with some tricks it is now solved. but i still dont understand what those warings are about how to easily solve them

18. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hello @guycalledfrank , all.

Recently purchased Bakery - looking forward to getting setup on my project!

I'm wondering the best multi-scene work-flow for Bakery, whereby I will be loading / unloading multiple scenes and lightmaps etc? The default Unity lightmapping performance is not great when doing this, how does Bakery compare?

I saw there is an option to split lightmaps by scene, is this the best approach? Does this option work in the editor, as I did a quick test and a bake completed, however my scenes did not show lightmapping in the editor.

Any general pointers appreciated, then I can look into the details, thanks!

// Wildstyle

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

In case you didn't check Bakery discord or my twitter, here is something new: Light Probe 3D textures (you can also call them irradiance volumes).

Small video: https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1261614666507223040

Each voxel contains an L1 light probe; total 3 RGBAHalf textures, interpolated in hardware.

upload_2020-5-21_15-5-17.png

(Correction: LPPV are also L1)

I won't provide a complete runtime solution, but there will be example shaders/scripts/graphs.
    Light leaking between probes is fixed the same way it is for lightmap texels - pushing sample centers out of nearest backfaces. Thin (thinner than a voxel) doublesided walls will still leak, inevitably (the only way I know to avoid it is to store a tiny depth cubemap per voxel, but then it's too much data).

Personally, I'm never going back to regular light probes in my projects :p

I wouldn't ask that, having sun in my sponza example with intensity of 16 :)
    But the ambient is rarely completely black.

Yeah, it will also ignore your higher order coefficients. But it's a great middle ground: way less data and still acceptable quality.

Oh my god. I didn't realize that.

Assumption:
    - Texels value is way too low for buildings. Check it by baking one building in a separate scene.
    - Complete scene, even having these low-res buildings, consists of too many things and does still take a lot of memory.

But first please show me how your UVs look: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#UV_Debug_Shader

No, I said all I know. You are probably missing a step somewhere. Do you track *.meta files? If padding removal didn't produce any changes, either metas are untracked, or it was already removed, in which case UV must match.
    You can also try the shader from the link above to doublecheck the UVs on both ends.

Copy shEvaluateDiffuseL1Geomerics from Bakery.cginc. You can then read fixed light probe lighting this way:

float3 L0 = float3(unity_SHAr.w, unity_SHAg.w, unity_SHAb.w);
    gi.indirect.diffuse.r = shEvaluateDiffuseL1Geomerics(L0.r, unity_SHAr.xyz, s.normalWorld);
    gi.indirect.diffuse.g = shEvaluateDiffuseL1Geomerics(L0.g, unity_SHAg.xyz, s.normalWorld);
    gi.indirect.diffuse.b = shEvaluateDiffuseL1Geomerics(L0.b, unity_SHAb.xyz, s.normalWorld);

You can use it in unlit shaders or in HDRP, if you output the result to Baked GI input. In surface shaders or URP graphs it's tricky, because they don't allow to compute custom lighting, but you can kinda hack it by writing albedo*light to emission.

You can move Bakery and Editor/Bakery folders elsewhere, it will work (just make sure to unmove them back before updating, or you'll get 2 copies of all files). Restructuring folders on my end is too late at this point as it will complicate updates for all users.

Hmmm... dots? Can you show some screenshots?

That warning means some of your shaders don't have a special META pass Unity uses to extract albedo/emission information: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MetaPass.html
    When Bakery or Progressive can't find the pass, they will attempt to extract this data by variable names - like using _MainTex or _Color. Some of these is green in your case.

You can bake scenes separately or together. Obviously it will use less memory in the first case, but you also won't get shadows/GI from one scene affect another, so it's usually better to go with the second option unless scenes are extremely memory-intensive.

They should. Did you walk through quick start?

fuzzy3d, laurentlavigne and atomicjoe like this.
  20. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

After thinking about that, maybe it's because I set the project graphic settings of the Standard Shader to Medium quality.
    Setting it to High quality maybe does a full per pixel L1+L2 calculation. I haven't tried, but it would make sense.
    Or maybe it's done this way only on mobile, idk.

guycalledfrank and wetcircuit like this.
  21. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

OOOOOOooooohh.... I WANT THAT! :D
    How does this work? it's a single 3D Texture set for the whole scene or does this need several smaller 3D texture manually placed?

22. keeponshading

keeponshading

Wow. Is it it possible to test it already? and
    how you would lerp different volumes .

23. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Just recently purchased your addon and wanted to take a look at the sponza examples. They turn out black upon opening their scenes in 2019.3.14f1.
    Also the dominant light direction example looks broken - the sphere looks like its lightmap uvs are messed up and its geometry somehow displaced.
    Will probably try this in a clean project next, but the other examples seem to be fine.

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

My idea was to cover the scene with multiple volumes. You can cover the whole scene with just one too (but will likely waste resolution).

Yuup it's on github :)

Depends on your shaders/scripts/rendering method. In deferred you can draw them as boxes which read depth -> convert to position -> sample + feather the edges. In forward I'd just make volumes slightly wider to overlap each other and switch them instead of blending.

Because they are not baked (but you can bake them). They were too large, and Unity unwrapper produced different results on different versions. Baking them on one Unity would look broken on another.

Also related to differences between engine versions. It looks like sphere topology or at least vertex order has changed in some version. Just rebake.

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  25. Cascho01

Cascho01

Could you provide custom shaders for AmplifyShaderEditor and Unitys ShaderEditor for SRPs?

26. swantonb

swantonb

Hello, why does my bake look so bright and doesnt look anything alike the preview?

This is baked:
    https://gyazo.com/5d77dac9e90c0e880af8c9c963f96238

This is preview:
    https://gyazo.com/9a1c671101ee3aa85c797aa12be838f2

This is before hitting render:
    https://gyazo.com/819b4b72281f00c94a309e17270fc8ee

I disabled all the lights in the scene after baking, what is seen in first screenshot is definitely the lightmap(everything is static) also look at how the mixed sun affects dynamic objects:
    https://gyazo.com/d3b5766831d10db08f31205a0bf39225

I baked substractive, this is what the sun looks like:
    https://gyazo.com/b5310639be66f87ae8b523c8f86e1b4b

And those are my lightmaps:
    https://gyazo.com/1c4211b8fa3d51bf3ba6e58f5b6638c3

Am i doing something wrong? Thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  27. Phazorknight

Phazorknight

So, I have tried optimizing my main scene as much as possible (mostly reducing the number of game objects and the likes), the weird shadows on my prefab house are now resolved. But I still have problems with Bakery Baking crashing if I set the Texels higher than 20.
    The weird thing is that yesterday I was able to set the Texels higher and my render worked out, was able to set it to 40, and overall it looked better.
    Today it crashes again, only bake that works is when Texels at 20. So clearly there's something else going on that makes it crash, no matter how "optimized" my scene is.

The game objects not being baked are still persisting (fence parts, as in my previous screenshots).

In regards of showing the UVs, how do I go about using the debug shader? Sorry, still pretty new at all of this.

28. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

Hello, the rocks in my game are faceted and before baking they look like I want them to look:

Annotation 2020-05-24 164240.jpg

However, when I bake them the facets become smooth. This happens to a lot of faceted objects in my scene and it's more visible when they're in the shadows. Is there something I can do to keep the faceted look while having it baked?

Annotation 2020-05-24 164118.jpg

Here's another angle:
    Annotation 2020-05-24 165559.jpg Annotation 2020-05-24 165759.jpg

29. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,

could you give me some more help to test the BakeryVolume.
    I addded the 2 BakeryGit´s to the latest Bakery Package and added an Bakery Volume like so to the example_shadowmask scene....

BakeryVolume.JPG

What would be the next steps...?

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Unfortunately I don't have time for this and I don't use Amplify myself, but there are some by Ben Woodford: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#Amplify_shaders

Shader graph? I have some for UPR and HDRP. Is there a reason to have graphs for standard pipeline? I'd rather use a surface/unlit shader there.

Weird! Not sure what can be the cause. Can you try detaching a small part of your scene and testing it separately? Is it caused by geometry, textures, lights or denoising?

Also I think there were problems like this caused by the directional mode being incorrectly set for the scene, especially when asynchronously loading scenes at runtime. But your lightmaps look white... are you sure they're totally white? If you have photoshop, can you try to decrease exposure and check if they contain anything sensible?

Also do you have Light Meshes? They are the only light type with a major algorithm difference between bake & preview, so maybe they are causing it?

Probably more other VRAM-internsive software being open?
    Also how does the crash look, is there any message?

The reason is just your lightmap UV layout. If your triangles have adjacent UVs, hard edge lighting will be filtered like any texture. What you need is to unwrap the rocks in such a way that makes every face a separate UV island. If you use automatic Unity unwrapping, reduce Hard Angle (to 0 probably):

upload_2020-5-26_13-54-42.png

You don't need standard Light Probe Groups, they are not used, every voxel becomes a probe instead.

First, bake the scene as usual. It will generate textures named like "yourVolumeGameObject_VolumeN.asset", with N=0,1,2. Then you'll need a shader that can use the data.

I attached an example shader you can use to test volumes. The bounding box is hardcoded there (float3 bmin and bmax). You can click "Copy bounds to clipboard" and update this line in the shader, then put newly created volume textures to the material, that should be enough.

Obiously I'll provide a more user-friendly way to use them later :)

Attached Files:

Goldenvale and keeponshading like this.
  31. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

Thanks! This fixed the faceted issue but now the seams have dark spots. The texels per unit is set to 15 which usually fixes the spots in other places but not on the rocks:
    Annotation 2020-05-27 012358.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  32. keeponshading

keeponshading

I added the generated textures to the material and pasted the bounding box to the shader.

SHVolumes_01.JPG

For now i receive this Shader Error:
    I am on Unity 2019.2.14, latest Bakery Git version

incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

SHVolumes_02.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  33. LaurynasLubys

LaurynasLubys

Hey, it would be extremely useful to bake multiple scenes. Usually I bake overnight, so it would be nice to have a queue, where it continues baking scenes that were added to bake.

34. keeponshading

keeponshading

guycalledfrank and LaurynasLubys like this.
  35. Phazorknight

Phazorknight

I thought about other software, but I have no other apps open besides my browser. Even tried closing that before baking to make sure but doesn't change anything.

The Error says "GenerateGBufferMap error: Can't create texture". It always happens at 55%, though that might not mean much. Here's a screenshot:
    bakery_error01.PNG

36. ethanicus

ethanicus

Hi, I've been thinking about getting this asset but I have a question about it that I can't really find a definitive answer on. I hope this is the right place to ask.

Does this lightmapper support colored/translucent shadows, such as stained glass windows in a church? I saw some examples that seemed to imply that it can, but I couldn't quite tell if this is a built-in feature or more of a workaround. For example, I have some windows in a scene that are simply planes with a semitransparent orange texture on them; will this lightmapper be able to properly tint the light that passes through or is there more modification necessary?

Thank you.

37. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Not translucent shadows, no.
    But you can fake it using color light cookies, which are very much supported, to project stained glass windows over your scene:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Bakery_Point_Light

38. joz_nascimento

joz_nascimento

Hi,
    I have the same problem:
    lightmap_render.jpg

And sometimes yellow:
    lightmap_render2.jpg

Any solution for these problems?
    Other problem is whem I try to "render selected groups". I always receive message "Scene geometry/layout changed since full bake. Use Render button instead". But I dont touch anything, even after already rendered.
    I read an previous answer about to try a patch on GIT, but a don't know where is it.

Cheers

39. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

40. joz_nascimento

joz_nascimento

41. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

You need an invitation from Frank then.

joz_nascimento likes this.
  42. geff

geff

Just bought Bakery (just missing the sale, but happy to treat Mr. F to dinner at the restaurant after lockdown ;) )

guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  43. maart

maart

I tried out "lightmap swapper" from the, I got it working using bakery lightmap groups but I was only able to bake and swap a single texture instead of an array of lightmaps. am I missing something? Is it possible to create a lightmap group spanning multiple lightmaps?

44. keeponshading

keeponshading

fyi.
    There is also an Material Switch on Unitys Github
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.material-switch.git

It has also an image blending workflow.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/1c9a4250311f6f30c3aab12e8a94f2967da93e19

Probably it would bve nice to extend this with lightmap swapping/blending behaviour.
    But for now i did not started with it.

45. daibutsu

daibutsu

Hey guys,

Thank you for this wonderful Tool. So. i have a question. I have 95% of static meshes on the scene. All of them are static and i have a lot of the same meshes with same material. When i run the game and check profile it says that i have 496 draw calls, but no batches at all. Frame debugger says that yes they can't be batched, since they use different lightmaps. Is there a way to save batches and both use lightmap using Bakery?

I do on Unity 2019.1.14 and Android build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  46. kwt127

kwt127

Hello. Nice to meet you.
    I bought a Bakery the other day and was happily baking bread, but I'm having trouble with a little strange behavior.

Situation

"LightingData.asset" may not be generated successfully when executing Render Reflection Probes after "Rendering" a particular scene.
    Once it doesn't work, the scene starts to fail no matter how many times you do it. It didn't matter if I did "Clear Bake Data", deleted the data after the bake, or deleted the temporary data in the Temp folder.

However, it may work well if you place the Unity standard Light Probe Group and perform the "Render Light Probes", then execute the previous procedure leaving the generated "LightingData.asset".

Images

Execution environment

Unity 2018.4.23f1
    Bakery Version 1.71 or GitHub Patched
    * Checked both before and after the patch was applied.

I think I've read the manual, but am I missing something?
    I would appreciate it if you could teach me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  47. CGDever

CGDever

Hi guycalledfrank, I need your help.
    1) Just imported the last version of Bakery
    2) I opened some the first example scene and pressed "Render"

Got this errors:
    a) Choosen temp path can not be found:
    You can cancel and set a different path in Advanced Settings or just use the default one:
    b) "denoiser error: unknown error (1)"

After this my rendering process is over.

My videocard: Geforce gt 740m

48. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

That error is telling you what to do - select a valid temp path.
    In the control panel under output options there's a button called Temp path: < some path >.
    Press that and select a destination where Bakery can store temporary files and caches.

49. Joshua_Bogart

Joshua_Bogart

I'm having a nightmare trying to get consistent results with collab as well. I've tried everything and looked at every forum post, every manual nuance, etc. Lightmaps just don't seem to travel well.

50. neoshaman

neoshaman

About bakery volume, have you considered making a "cheaper" version using cubemap?
    Let me explain myself, a cubemap is a 3d texture where the mip are the interior cells in a shell like fashion.

Also this about the light leaking the godot 4 gi engineer seems to have found some solution
    https://twitter.com/reduzio/status/1267465492144455682