Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Mauri

Mauri

@HunterAhlquist Bakery needs a NVIDIA GPU (GeForce 6xx or newer) as it's based on OptiX/CUDA/D3D11 code. Network baking just offloads the regular baking process onto another device, thus the device in question (server) still needs to have a NVIDIA GPU as well.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. Redbeetle

Redbeetle

New
    Hello?
    Is there a way to use VFXGraph and BakeryVolume together?
    Suriken was usable, but doesn't work with VFXGraph.

3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

What if you add a copy of a room (or just any blocker object) that has the same kind of LODGroup setup as the door? Set it to "Receive GI = Light Probes" (or Scale in Lightmap = 0), so it won't get its own LM, but will occlude the door :D

Well, ftserver runs the same baking code, and

upload_2022-12-19_8-17-44.png

HunterAhlquist likes this.
  4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Didn't try it myself, but it must be possible. I know @E-Cone used volume-lit particles in his projects. Depends on the render pipeline in question also.

5. roundyyy

roundyyy

Hello. I have a random problem with LODs casting baked shadows to themselves (lod0 to lod1 and lod1 to lod0 etc). I've seen someone had that problem here before, but couldn't find the solution. It's weird, because it happens randomly, sometimes LODs are baked well, sometimes not. I don't have anything unusual in them, standard meshes, UVs are good, usually 2 LODs levels, shadowmask bakes. I updated to newest version, but same thing. Thank you

6. akshayjainln1427

akshayjainln1427

Hello! I am baking a lightmap onto a prefab with the BakeryLighmappedPrefab on it and it looks like the render goes through fine and the data gets stored. I am then instantiating this prefab using an asset bundle during runtime but it looks like the prefab gets instantiated without any lightmapped data on it (or at least there is none when I check the prefab that gets instantiated). Is the prefab supposed to have any such data? If not and the lightmap data is still getting used, I am not seeing any changes in the frame rate while if I have the prefab already instantiated in the scene before running the game, there is a significant increase in frame rate from when there is no lightmap data. Any help would be very much appreciated on this :)

7. CorneliusCornbread

CorneliusCornbread

I have a question that I'm sure that's been asked several times now. Recently I've switched to AMD for my current system, and I'm no longer purchasing from NVIDIA (due to my eventual move to Linux), I wanted to ask, when is AMD support coming? In the next few years? Never?

I know before Mr F mentioned that there's no AMD alternative to CUDA and Optix but AMD has recently developed HIP (programming lang) and pro render as respective alternatives.
    (https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/Programming_Guides/HIP-GUIDE.html)
    (https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-prorender)
    Are these libraries going to be supported for bakery, or should I look elsewhere for my light baking needs?

8. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Oops. I thought that only applied to RTX mode, I recently switched to AMD for my desktop. I can still use my laptop to bake though. Thanks for the clarification.

9. blueivy

blueivy

10. yackson-cc

yackson-cc

Hi @guycalledfrank ,

I am using github to version control of the project that I am working, each time that I change the branch, this process runs for each .fbx:

upload_2022-12-28_13-51-3.png

The first line is mine for know what is importing, these model have 1k or vertex (I think that is very high time to process it, anyway is not the kind of problem, but want share with you a plugin from blender 3D, may be that you can take some ideas from it, like unwrap GPU and CPU at time to process the unwraps UVPackmaster 3 - Blender Market)

There is a way to avoid that always that I change the branch this process not repeat again?

All branches must share this file with the same information? because I only have one of this for each branch...
    upload_2022-12-28_13-56-45.png

Why when I change the branch, the bakes previously already are destroyed?
    upload_2022-12-28_13-59-36.png

Where bakery saves the unwrapped Uvs?

11. Sholms

Sholms

Vertex Color Full Light Bake and SH Directional Normal do not work. I am attempting to bake the Light to the Vertex Color with the Mono SH option activated, but the Bakery is not generating the Direction texture.

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ouch. Is it possible for you to create a little example project/package where it can be reproduced? Possibly related to some weird combination of all LODed objects (their LODGroup settings, not their meshes) in the scene. E.g. if you only leave LOD-affected objects in the scene and even replace all MeshFilter meshes with some single mesh, will it still reproduce? Then you can send this scene as a unitypackage and I'll test it...

Please check this, make sure Unity doesn't optimize away either shaders or lightmap UVs: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...iated_at_runtime_in_a_build_have_no_lightmaps

And make sure your bundle contains the actual lightmap files. You can check it via e.g.

Debug.Log(bundleObject.GetComponentInChildren<ftLightmapsStorage>().maps[0]);

Not soon, I'm afraid...
    HIP is a bit too "generic CUDA porting" solution, and ProRender is too high-level (it's a whole renderer). RadeonRays is the closest thing I can use, but last time I checked it lacked some important features (couldn't implement alpha-testing with it). Maybe I should check it again.

Oh yeah, it's an interesting approach. But not sure if practical :D
    @tirarex tried it yesterday, and this is what he got from a 4096x4096 map for the floor of this single room only:

upload_2022-12-30_12-29-21.png

With such memory usage it's probably only useful for very small scenes or when you have lots of VRAM to spare. And in the case of this room it wouldn't look worse with a classic box-projected cubemap...

My friend used it, and the packing quality is indeed impressive.

UV adjustment is performed if ftGlobalStorage data doesn't match ftLocalStorage data or the data written in the model .meta file. If they're all preserved, it shouldn't be called.

It only stores unwrapping instructions, i.e. ideal padding and selected unwrapper for each mesh (in the assets mentioned above).

BTW, maybe don't use xatlas as unwrapper, it's pretty slow. Using xatlas as Atlas Packer, but not unwrapper can actually produce pretty good results, while being faster: https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1231890428313600000

OK, I'm confused. Vertex baking doesn't work? Or SH baking? Or MonoSH per-vertex baking? Per-vertex lighting doesn't use any textures.
    Does my example_directional_MonoSH scene work?

13. Sholms

Sholms

The SH baking doesn't work with Vertex baking, bakery is not generating the sh directional texture when you have the vertex light option activated.

14. blueivy

blueivy

Aww I wish there was a way to optimize the memory usage, there's not a lot of good techniques out their for accurate surface reflections on non planar surfaces. Thankfully I think reflection probes and baked specular do the job fine enough currently

15. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @guycalledfrank ,

Do you know if bakery volumes work on consoles? (Xbox, ps, Switch) :)

Thanks

16. Sisay

Sisay

is it possible to combine shadow volume (baked them together with prefabs and merge in runtime add to scene )

17. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi, there love the asset - it's saved a lot of time over the native light baker. I have a bit of a dumb question. On some rock prefabs (with Lit Shaders), I get these weird blotchy shadow patterns. The rest of the scene is totally fine. Any idea about how I can fix these issues?
    (URP, Unity v 2020.3.43)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  18. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Hi. would be it possible to add an undo to the 'match scene skybox to this light' for the sky light component. Once you press this just to see what it looks like you then need to set all your environment settings back because undo doesn't work.

19. marckv

marckv

Hi guys. I have run into some issues with Full Lighting and light probes. Is there a known incompatibility with these two things?
    Full lighting on the left, indirect on the right.
    upload_2023-1-4_17-6-36.png

Even stranger is what happens to models with a normal map applied.

upload_2023-1-4_17-8-2.png

Again, Full lighting on the left, indirect on the right.

The only fix I can think of right now is to bake the light probes with indirect, then rebake maps the maps with full lighting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  20. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

Hello everyone! I have some problems with Bakery.
    So when i bake my lightning i get this warning:
    Main Object Name 'LightingData' does not match filename 'TDM-Shipment(LightBake)_371857150_probes'
    Lightning Data Asset in Baked Lightmaps tab in lightning named just LightningData, but it should be named different as i see. After this i go to Lightning Data Asset and press Fix button on it to make it the same name as it should.
    So everything works fine until i launch my scene or if i try to set Lightning Data Asset by dragging recently rendered file into the Lightning Data Asset field (After this light starts flickering even in scene view and my baked lightmaps disappear from this tab as you can see on this screenshot.
    upload_2023-1-7_1-1-56.png

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  21. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

22. Garret2727

Garret2727

Good morning! I am getting this error today
    upload_2023-1-8_12-29-7.png
    Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Also. Nothing bakes when I try to render nor does the previewer work, btw

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  23. trojant

trojant

Hi,
    (1)Is the order from LM0, 1 to 8, 9, 10... Is that right?
    (2)The name of lighting data needs me to fix now?
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      241.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  24. RicardCG

RicardCG

@guycalledfrank , I seem to have an issue when using The lightmap groups and padding.

As right now I can't seem to adjust the padding for assets that are being baked as lightmap groups. Everything is being backed very closely together and I can't seem to find a work around while keeping the baked lightmap groups.

Admittedly my project is still on the previous version of Bakery (I'm poking my project lead if we can see about getting this updated), Is there a way to adjust the padding for lightmapped groups or is this fixed in the newest version? I apologize if this is an answered question!

25. Noors84

Noors84

Hey, i haven't baked anything for a little while. Is this still the way to fix this issue ? Using TEXCOORD0_centroid ?
    Or did you implement some extra padding option so the shader isn't sampling nonsense with MSAA on ?
    Thanks for the always terrific updates anyway.

26. TriangleJel

TriangleJel

Hi Mr F,

I was setting up my lighting and wanted to have a nice light bounce from using the light mesh component by inserting my texture.

However I'm not getting the result I'm looking for.

What I'd expect (in bakery preview):
    upload_2023-1-12_23-26-3.png

What I'm getting:
    upload_2023-1-12_23-26-21.png

I saw that my mesh got a 2nd UV channel (automatic lightmap unwrap with Unity), but still it should bake some colors as the UV's overlap other colors as well.

Cheers

27. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Happy new year! :)
    Sorry for some absence. In the meantime, I've added some better UI and RTPreview support for directional light projection:
    https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1609287635574349825/

Vertex baking won't generate any textures, all data is baked into vertices (it's the point, isn't it?). Shaders use a different path accordingly (see how they're set up in my example scenes).
    For URP/HDRP I don't have the per-vertex SH support due to shadergraph limitations.

They should definitely work there! Modern consoles have all features that modern PCs have.

You can, but I don't have any existing volume merging code. Instead you can also just swap them as the receiving object moves (see my example_volumes_advanced).

Kinda looks like they're just not unwrapped?... do you have "Generate lightmapping UVs" enabled for them?

I actually added it in the latest store version! :)

upload_2023-1-13_13-35-54.png

Option A: use Bakery shaders with "non linear light probe SH": https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Standard_render_pipeline

Option B: use Legacy light probe mode:

upload_2023-1-13_13-38-37.png

Option C: use Legacy light probe mode AND enable "remove ringing" in Project Settings:

upload_2023-1-13_13-39-49.png

Shouldn't affect anything - you can ignore this message.

What are you expecting to happen? Bakery only stores light probe data in Lighting Data Assets. All lightmap associations are stored in the scene file itself. Swapping lighting data assets won't swap lightmaps, if they're rendered with Bakery.
    There is no use case for doing anything with these assets that I'm aware of.

Are you sure you're on the latest version? Looks like some ancient bug that I fixed before...
    It's related to some broken area light (has both mesh filter + light components on it? Has a mesh filter with empty mesh? Something like that, but I did add validation for these).
    Also looking at your other errors: don't use xatlas as the unwrapper. Maybe I should even disable this option. xatlas is great as an atlas packer, but for individual mesh unwrapping it's full of problems.

Yeah, it's OK. You don't have to fix any names :D

It might happen if there are too many UV charts and fitting them with optimal padding to the desired resolution is impossible.
    Padding is automatic if "Adjust UV padding" is enabled. If the problem is padding between different objects' layouts, try increasing the value in Project Settings -> Bakery. If it's related to padding between charts of a single model, you can also always disable the auto-adjustment and force padding on the model asset itself (below "Generate lightmapping UVs"). If you don't use "Generate lightmapping UVs" and have your own UV1, it's never altered (so you need to repack it with larger padding wherever the model is made).

Didn't implement anything new here...but maybe try increasing it in Project Settings as mentioned above? I wonder if it'll help.

Ouch. Can you send me this scene as a unitypackage to test? If it works in RTPreview, that means the data is exported correctly... also please try enabling Self-shadow on the light in case it's disabled.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  28. Noors84

Noors84

This won't fix this issue. I wouldn't need extra uv padding, but a color extension of the border pixels color (color "bleeding"), so the shader woudn't sample black from the directionnal lightmap and lead to white pixels artefacts that go crazy with bloom on.
    Which is only an issue in Forward+MSAA i guess, but to me is a major issue.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  29. TriangleJel

TriangleJel

@guycalledfrank
    Happy new year to you as well!

Self-shadow was on.
    In attach is the unitypackage, you'll have to add Bakery itself, didn't want to include that here.

While setting up the test scene with a clean Unity project I did notice it was casting a faint blue lights in the distance,; which matches up with my UV's.
    upload_2023-1-14_13-30-13.png
    upload_2023-1-14_13-30-52.png

So I set the Samples Near to 0 and that seemed to do the trick, although I'm having so very ugly color bleeding at the edge.
    upload_2023-1-14_13-31-47.png
    upload_2023-1-14_13-31-55.png

Is that the correct approach though? I would expect samples near to also work. I did also try setting the samples near to 256 but didnt change anything either

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  30. Garret2727

Garret2727

I removed Bakery and started with a clean install. Still getting the same results.

I turned on the yellow errors. I am seeing. UV errors.

I turned the xatlas off as well.
    I upload_2023-1-14_8-11-13.png
    upload_2023-1-14_8-17-54.png

I am not sure where to start. I have a backup project that I can load no problem. It's just when I update my fbx, I get these problems.

31. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello, when I switch the shader to use the Bakery/Standard shader in SRP and enable Volume, I get very nice lighting from light volumes on my characters. What do I do for my other shaders, such as a specialized shader like one for anime characters, etc?

32. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

hi @guycalledfrank

I'm running into a weird bug with light maps getting destroyed.

You can see once entering play mode, the light maps are gone. :oops:

Wonder if you've seen this before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I DM'ed you a project file link as well.
    ezgif-5-1aef5dada3.gif

Thanks for the help

guycalledfrank and Hypnotoad0 like this.
  33. ShadaxTheWizard

ShadaxTheWizard

Hi guys, struggling with an issue that's plagued me for a while now and happens intermittently.
    After baking I get stuck on "Progress [100%] Finished Rendering".
    Seemingly the only way to get rid of this is to use the Render Reflection Probes button in bakery or to restart unity. The bake simply never finishes. I can pan around the scene view and move this progress window around, but cancel does not close it.
    Screenshot_279.png

I also get this error
    Error assigning 2D texture to CUBE texture property '_TextureSample1': Dimensions must match
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Screenshot_280.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

34. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Hi all,
    I created a simple tool that automates the process and adds some interesting features for using Bakery area lights in your project. You can find all the features and the source code here.

Below also a small video that showcases it's main features. Since then I've updated it with some more features.

35. Hypnotoad0

Hypnotoad0

Same issue here. Please let me know if you manage to get it to work

36. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

I sent a trimmed version of my project to @guycalledfrank , so we're waiting on him. :)

Maybe you can send him a simple version of your project too, so he can squash both bugs at once?

37. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello, how do area lights work? Is there a bakery replacement, or will bakery also bake my area lights?

38. Mauri

Mauri

Bakery has something called Light Mesh:
    Select all your area lights and attach a Bakery Light Mesh component to them. Click "Match lightmapped to area light" on each one and you should be good to go.

guycalledfrank and P3ndragonLLC like this.
  39. AlbertoVP

AlbertoVP

Hi @guycalledfrank

When I added bakery to my project and bake the lighs the dynamic objects turn to a pink light (texture and rest of things appear to be normal). Some clue of what happens?

Is there a way to tell the packager that all prefab elements that are part of the same LightmapGroup occupy 100% of the texture and not just the one corresponding to the selected texel?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  40. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Thanks! @Mauri

I added the bakery shaders to the Always Compile list and I can't get it to build anymore without hitting System out of memory errors. Do the bakery shaders take a considerable amount of memory to include?

upload_2023-1-23_10-22-0.png

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  41. RicardCG

RicardCG

This might seem like an odd question but, has anyone run into a bug where trying to bake the reflection probes causes the scene to try and rebake lighting overall?

I'm noticing that for some reason the lighting data asset keep getting blown away by Unity everytime I run bakery. Could this be part of the problem?

42. RicardCG

RicardCG

Ah looks like that was totally it, I was able to circumvent the issue by baking incorrect reflection probes first then baking the scene and then rebaking the reflection probes.

43. doodlinbee

doodlinbee

Hello, I made a lit shader with ShaderGraph but it doesn't receives baked light.
    If I go to the material and set the inspector to 'debug', it's 'lightmap flags' is set to 2 which i think is correct.
    I'm using the default render pipeline.

Any way i can fix it?

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks for the test package. Not sure how long this bug was there :eek:
    Just fixed it, please try using the latest patch, or alternatively, just replace lambert_texarealight.ptx with the one attached.

Given the warnings, do you use "Generate Lightmap UVs" on your models?

Hmm you need to integrate the volume shading part of one shader into another shader.
    The volume shading code can be found in Bakery.cginc inside #ifdef BAKERY_VOLUME blocks.
    You can also drop me the anime shader (make sure it has all the necessary include files), and I can try integrating it myself. Maybe I can write a little guide for cases like this.

Thanks for the DM!
    Fixed it, please try the latest patch.

For anyone else encountering this problem, either patch or just add this one line to the Start() of ftLightmapsStorage.cs:

It seems that since Unity 2021, if you have a lighting data asset in the scene (which is created if you have light/reflection probes), then there is a chance it will try to reload it after Awake() (but before Start()).

Since I don't know what _TextureSample1 is, it might be related to some third-party plugin interfering with Bakery.
    Does it happen on any scene? Did you try my example scenes?
    If you can send me any minimal small test project, I can debug it.

Woah, that's a nice one, cool! :)

Shader failed to compile? Does it happen if you bake with the built-in lightmapper too? Possibly your shaders break exactly when the LIGHTMAP_ON define is set by the engine?

Do you mean the prefab is pre-unwrapped into a single UV layout? Then sounds like you should use the "Original UV" packing mode on the Lightmap Group.

There are too many permutations. I don't recommend adding them to "always included". Let the engine only include variants used by your scenes.

Do you use the "bake" button on the probe itself or the one in Bakery window? The one on the probe can do that...

Does it work with the built-in lightmapper?

Attached Files:

P3ndragonLLC and KarlKarl2000 like this.
  45. doodlinbee

doodlinbee

It doesn't.
    it does work with dynamic lights and also on bakery when render mode is set to 'indirect' though. but I want to use 'full lighting'

46. RPGia

RPGia

Anyone using Bakery Volumes in production as an alternative to light probes?

If I have a room filled with tables and objects, do I just need one volume to have runtime lighting for everything within the bounds? I'm trying to figure out how the Bakery Volume workflow compares to light probes.

Are there Bakery Volume example shaders for Standard Pipeline surface shaders?

47. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

If you mean the standard shader for built-in, you can find shaders in the shader folder under the bakery folder. (They have support for double sided as well)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  48. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Thank you! It would be great if you could do that, I have an anime shader I use quite a lot and then I can use the 2 bakery shaders for most of all the other materials I have. (A guide would be great too)

Got it, thanks - I got a good pipeline working to build the asset bundles and I ended up not needing to include them in the always include list as suggested.

-----
    When do I decide to use light probes vs light volumes? I have a large project with many scenes and I like the quality of the light volumes and they seem easier to setup. Is there a good way to decide which way to go?

49. RPGia

RPGia

Has the light volumes worked well for you when its a single volume covering a large area? Like one volume for an entire room?

50. AlbertoVP

AlbertoVP

No, that prefab have several objects with differents UVs and I want to pack it to use 100% of lightgroup lightmap instead of use texel density and left 40% of texture empty