Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

OK, just made it an option in project settings:

upload_2022-7-18_15-46-4.png

Trying to wrap my head around explaining the logic of sample position adjustment so these options make sense without reading too much docs... but for now I can at least advice to disable it in specific cases like yours.

Black environment: did you by any chance use "match skybox to skylight"? Don't need to do that.
    Static shadows only: looks correct, since you're in Full Lighting mode, meaning everything (direct + indirect) is baked.
    Please use the appropriate (indirect or shadowmask) mode to combine lightmaps with real-time shadows: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Render_mode

Hmm... 10 mil is not much actually. Shader complexity only affects scene export phase. And I doubt it can make it substantially slower, since your shaders are optimized for real-time, and it just needs to draw them once for each lightmap using its resolution.

Seems random. GI Bounce count does not affect memory. Every bounce takes exactly the same amount of VRAM and they just go one by one.
    Possibly you just turned off some other background programs, e.g. the browser?

Weird, I couldn't reproduce it on a similar setup:

upload_2022-7-18_18-1-11.png

(the floor is shadowmasked, the sphere is vertex-baked with full lighting)
    Also tried some variations, like having different vertex groups, one with Full Lighting, another with Shadowmask, etc...

Any chance you can send some small test package with the bug?

Not yet, seems too early. And as Joe said, Bakery has its own system.

Should be usable - I developed Bakery on GTX970 with the infamous 3.5 GB.

Don't have a personal experience with eGPUs, but I'd expect them to be pretty good, even with bandwidth limitation.

OK, I can see the issue. Just tried fixing it. Can you update via the patcher/github and try it again please?

Please delete the uploaded file (better use DMs for that).

Just tested using latest patches (simply clicked Render), and it seems to work:

upload_2022-7-18_23-33-48.png

So please try using the latest patch: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Github_access
    (Yes, these patches will be added to the new store version... soon-ish)

Are you sure?
    - That you actually used the latest patch
    - That your intensities are not too low: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Notes_on_HDRP.2FURP

atomicjoe and theNfan like this.
  2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sounds like texels per unit are different? Can you compare how many lightmaps / of what size did you generate in Progressive vs Bakery?
    You hardware looks good.

3. ethanicus

ethanicus

Here's my Lighting settings
    upload_2022-7-18_18-21-16.png

And my Bakery settings.
    upload_2022-7-18_18-21-33.png

I'm new to Bakery obviously so nothing here jumps out at me as being wildly out of whack, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  4. rtx89

rtx89

Hey Mr F,

First off I want to thank you for the amazing product. I'm so happy with the quality of the light bakes i'm getting with Bakery. A few examples can be seen here:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521712741837176842/983953725276192808/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521712741837176842/992818232073388174/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521712741837176842/997459155088580638/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521712741837176842/995487049710829708/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521712741837176842/995014199866572800/unknown.png

I'm making a large city scene and sectors are great for this. More specifically I'm using lightmap groups inside sectors to have more control over the space different types of elements get in the lightmap. An example sector (a city block) would typically have these lightmap groups: buildings (2048-4096), props(2048), roads+sidewalks(1024-2048), trees+foliage(2048) and other sector-specific groups.

I have a few issues.

1) If I leave the lightmap group component on game objects in all sectors, sometimes baking a specific sector will bake lightmaps for the groups in other (distant) sectors. For example, I'll have LMGroup_D7Props randomly baking lightmaps (and taking time denoising etc) when I'm baking sector A2 which is nowhere near sector D7. Also, these other-sector groups that bake get discarded, they never end up anywhere in the file system.

My solution for this issue is to simply delete the lightmap group components constantly, and add them to sector groups when I'm going to bake a sector. An inconvenience, but I can live with it.

2) If I bake a sector that has 5 groups, bakery will bake these groups as expected but will also bake a bunch of other lightmaps called LMA0, LMA1 etc, even though every static-marked object in the sector is a child of a lightmap group.

This is adding a LOT of extra bake and denoising time. I spent a while investigating the cause, and it seems to be due to having LOD Groups in the sector/groups.

What I think is happening, is that the various LOD groups are being baked into these temporary LMA_x lightmaps and then get packed into the proper group atlas on completion. I came to this conclusion by discovering this doesn't happen if i disable post-packing (post-packing is missing from the docs by the way).

If this is true, is there a way to minimise the amount of extra LMA lightmaps that get baked? For example, my bake might take 5 minutes baking the 5 lightmap groups (props, buildings, roads, etc), but 15-20 minutes baking and denoising these extra 10 to 20 LMA_x lightmaps for the LODs. My objects typically have 1 or 2 lower LOD levels, so having these LODs triple or quadruple my bake times is quite frustrating.

3) Light probes. Sectors not being able to bake light probes really hurts the workflow. What I'm doing right now is making very simple cubes and planes to replace my buildings and roads, and then I do a full bake with just these primitives marked as static. This is all just for light probes.

The problem with this is that it's quite time consuming creating all these primitives for a full bake. Are there any plans to change sectors to allow probe baking? The docs say it's not possible. Is what I'm doing now my best option? Or could I do something differently?

Appreciate any help or advice you might be able to offer! Cheers

5. Enverex

Enverex

Baking individual sectors completes very quickly but baking my entire scene at once (which is just all of those sectors combined) takes much longer than all those individual bakes would combined. These sectors are physically far away from each other and should in no-way influence each other (think of them as completely independent) but I suspect they may be (and some times do accidentally if I set a light with too far of a distance).

Normally I suspect you'd use different scenes to handle this, but the thing I'm building this for doesn't allow for different scenes, so currently I have to disable every area except for one, bake that one sector, disable it, enable the next one, bake that sector, ect. As you can tell it's a rather involved and tedious process. The big issue with this is also the same as roartex's issue #3 above, in that lightprobes only get baked if I do a full render, sector bakes don't count, so I'll end up having to do a full render too just to get the probes done.

So 2 questions:

One is - is there any way of telling Bakery that these "areas" are completely separate from each other and shouldn't influence each other in any way? They are already their own sectors with their own lightmap group, but that's not enough it seems.

Two is - the same as the person above's question, is there any way to bake probes in bits and combine them, like Bakery currently does for lightmap assignments.

Thanks.

6. keeponshading

keeponshading

This is a 300GB+ projekt and i try to extract a sample to reproduce i can share.
    But this is not as easy.

The example scene you mentioned is baking also without problems in my 2021.3.6 project.

I extracted Bakery like so

Unbenannt.JPG
    in two versions who works in the folder /works and who does not work in the folder /notworks.

/works = version who is around 8 weeks old
    /notworks = current patched version

I try to add the meshes now who not bake vertex and are generating the Texture load error.
    This are around 80meshes with 1 to 2 million triangles. So your sphere bake example is not an good example.)

These are quite a lot very highdetailed meshes from car wheels and plastic/rubber parts who are impossible to unfold.
    The rest of the car and environent is manually lightmap uved and bakes shadowmask directional sh.
    However the scene baked without problems the last 14months through all Unity releases and Bakery patches up to now.

In the working version they are 70 assets generated for the 2 LM_groups who bake to vertex

Unbenannt.JPG

some (probably stupid) questions:
    - why there is a can´t load texture error for vertex baked objects? are there textures generated before?
    - i always render to scene named output path. Could it be some stuff is not rendered to this folder and therefore the can´t load texture error appears?

8.JPG

- there are some meshes in the vertex bake lm_group who are static and constribute to gi is enabled but mesh renderer is off. could that generate such problems now?

- optimize vram option is not available anymore. Could this generate problems with lots of high density meshes and 4k lightmaps in scene now on rtx2080, rtx 3090 and quadro rtx 6000?

guycalledfrank likes this.
  7. marckv

marckv

Hi :D

I have a scenario with lots of gpu instanced objects. Is there a way I can force those objects to pack onto the same lightmap? Currently they are packing all over the place into empty space on lightmaps for other objects, which unfortunately breaks the gpu instancing (from what I understand).

8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yup:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Bakery_Lightmap_Group_Selector

9. Enverex

Enverex

Unrelated to all the other issues I've reported, I have a different issue; I occasionally have an issue where the lightmap seems to just stick other objects on top of existing objects. This obviously results in severe artifacting on walls and such where the lightmapping overlaps. This only seems to happen when baking sectors. I have UV Adjustment OFF when baking sectors, so it shouldn't be that.

Example:

10. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Increase texel padding in:
    Project Settings -> Bakery GPU Lightmapper -> Texel Padding

I personally set it to 8

11. Enverex

Enverex

8 texel padding is huge. Also this doesn't seem to be an issue with bleed which you'd normally compensate for with more padding, it's literally placing maps on top of each other, completely overlapping as though the other(s) weren't there. So I get the impression something more severe is going wrong, rather than a padding issue.

12. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Nevermind, I see that now.
    It looks like a bug, yes.

13. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Hello, love the asset but having some issues with my bakes when it comes to "shine" for the lack of a better word. I've tried a lot of different settings, played with reflection probes and ran a lot of tests, but still get stuck with the same-ish bake, for example:

My scene:
    02.PNG

My bake:
    01.PNG

My Bakery settings:
    03.PNG

Details of one of my walls:
    10.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

• 03.PNG
      03.PNG
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  14. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

If you want to have specular highlights after the bake, you need to use the included Bakery Shaders.
    Read the manual for more info on that.

15. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Thanks, updated my materials to Bakery Standard with Enable Lightmap Specular and still having the same issue though (also tried a number of other options with the shaders and bake settings)?

16. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Weird.
    Your settings seem correct.
    Have you actually rendered the reflection probes after baking with Bakery? (in the bakery window, Render Reflection Probes button and Update Skybox Probe button)

17. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Tried with Reflection Probes too, just can't seem to get Specular working...

18. lorddanger

lorddanger

Is bakery alternative to unity's light map
    If yes is it any faster then unity ?

19. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

In my expierience, the Unity gpu lightmapper can't achieve the quality of Bakery, so you can't really compare them because no amount of extra render time will make the Unity gpu lightmapper perform as well as Bakery.
    The render itself is much faster than Unity's, but since it's not integrated inside the engine, it needs to export the scene in its own way, which can be slower than the actual render. It depends on the scene complexity.
    But one thing is sure: I know of no one that has used Bakery and has gone back to Unity's gpu lightmapper afterwards. The results are like night and day.

guycalledfrank and sjm-tech like this.
  20. keeponshading

keeponshading

Unitys PLM is far from ready for production since many years. Bakery is ready for production.

guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  21. lorddanger

lorddanger

After baking with bakery my terrain is black
    Also I can't seem to delete the lightmap generated by Bakery
    it turns back once I reload the map or play the game
    black.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  22. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Use the Bakery menu in the Unity menu bar to clear the bake data from your scene:
    Bakery -> Utilities -> Clear baked data

23. lorddanger

lorddanger

Ok thanks about the black terrain

24. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I don't use Unity's terrains so I don't know, sorry. (they are way too slow in general. I use other alternatives.)

25. lorddanger

lorddanger

Any other soulution for terrain

26. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The question of terrains in Unity is very complicated.
    Just wait until the author of Bakery or someone with experience with baking terrains in Unity responds to your issue.

27. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Will there any update come to Asset Store?

I've purchased Bakery form Humble Bundle pack and I have no way to provide an Invoice ID to access GitHub. I can provide Humble purchase ID but that doesn't work.

For a project, I'm on 2021.3 LTS and I use Better Lit Shaders which has a nice integration with Bakery, so I'd very much like to have these updates.

28. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Just a note: the asset store version also gets the updates, but later. How much later, I can't say, but it gets updated eventually.
    But it's better to get the GitHub access yes.

29. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Thank your chiming in, but unfortunately this doesn't add anything new or helpful for me.

I've used Bakery since early versions, and very heavily in my previous job. In fact, I made them buy it in the first place. We also had GitHub access which helped a lot, however I've left there quite some time ago and after various projects I am again in need of Bakery. I have it on my asset store account, but since it is from Humble Bundle, I have no Invoice ID. Which means no GitHub access, which means I am stuck with a version which was released more than a year ago.

It is updated -eventually- yeah, that's how it got to 1.9 version in the first place. However, even Unity 2021.2 wasn't released then, let alone 2021.3 and 2022.1 versions now.
    Hence me asking if Asset Store version will be updated, or can a Humble Bundle purchase be provided with Git access.

30. WithK

WithK

I try to bake Light probes (L1) in URP12(2022.1.4) using Bakery,but I find this small edge glitch.(Pic1)
    And Pic2 is unity default progressive.

Attached Files:

31. JonathanWouters

JonathanWouters

Hi when trying to bake on an rtx3090 we get an error in CUDADevice.cpp about _rtbuffercreate.
    We updated the drivers since it looked like a similar issue to when the optix denoiser was broken but this did not fix it.

Edit: Nvm, found the solution in the troubleshooting guide. Turns out I had to turn on RTX in bakery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Bakery and Unity pack atlases differently. I recommend comparing actual final lightmap size/count (or at least Unity's UV checker view vs Bakery's checker preview).
    You also have only 2 bounces in Progressive vs 5 in Bakery.

Thanks!

I like your approach, it's well organized.

Weird... just to confirm, can you please check if it's still an issue with the latest patch? Sounds like something I possibly fixed.

This might happen if you have LODs in the scene. They can kinda become separate "layers" of which the group is later composed.

... exactly.

Good catch, added it: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Post-packing

It depends on LOD distances more than on LOD counts. Two objects with different overlapping LOD distances can actually generate 3 different scene-wide LOD states (e.g. "both objects on LOD1", "one on LOD1, another on LOD0", "both objects are on LOD0"), and Bakery operates on these to get shadowcasting correctly.
    There are possibly better ways to implement it, but that's how it works currently.
    Some possible workarounds:
    - Try using more similar LOD distances?
    - Try reusing the lightmap across different LODs via some "lightmap stealing" scripts, if the UVs match? Like https://github.com/laurenth-personal/LODLightmapScripts

Actually I think it IS possible if I just prepare the full-world light probe asset but only bake selected probes and merge them from different sectors... except any changes to light probe count/structure can possibly break this merge.
    I'll investigate it.

With full bake it needs to load all world geometry at once. With sectors (and without capture points) you only work with sector geometry in isolation, hence the difference. There are just less potential ray-geometry checks.

Sounds like something you can automate with a simple script?

Not currently, as there is no "area" notion during the bake. Everything is just one big BVH tree of triangles.
    Sectors only affect the scene export process (stripping unused things) and lightmap groups just assign renderers to atlases basically.

They should be. Can you DM me this file? (masks*bin)

No, all non-final data is stored in the temp folder and it loads from there.

You can check if it's a problem, but I doubt it. Simply disabling the mesh renderer in a vertex-baked group doesn't seem to cause any bugs for me.

I removed it, since the only thing it generated was problems... it didn't even help with high-density meshes, it only reduced texture memory during the GI phase.

So around mid-May?
    I DMed you a version before some major changes, let's see if it works...

Woah, shouldn't happen. Is it still the case with the latest patch? Does it only happen when xatlas is set as the atlas packer?

See this: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._can.27t_see_specular_lighting_after_the_bake

Can you show how it looks with a pure mirror (metallic and smoothness set to maximum, base color is white) material? E.g. on a sphere? Does it catch the reflection probes?

Are you using some non-standard terrain shader? Maybe it doesn't support lightmaps at all?
    Can you reproduce it in an isolated terrain-only scene?
    There shouldn't be any major problem with terrain baking.
    Also try disabling Terrain Optimization option, if it's enabled.

Yes. Currently it's hard for me to focus on preparing a full store update, as it takes a few days to run all the tests, and I now suddenly have lots of problems to solve after the relocation...

That shouldn't be a problem though, HB's voucher codes are accepted the same way as invoices (!). Please DM me if you have any problems using the HB code.
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Github_access#If_Bakery_was_bought_on_Humble_Bundle

Yeah, it's kinda the problem with L1. It can be fixed by:
    a) Using BakeryURPNonLinearLightProbe ShaderGraph which improves the way probes are sampled (if it's not in your package, it should be there: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TYPVZO88ylzP4-csKjnEnrYElRAaaw_Q/view?usp=sharing )
    b) Trying the Legacy light probe mode.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    TanselAltinel likes this.
  33. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

34. marckv

marckv

Does the lightmap scale function on the mesh renderer apply to Bakery objects. I am atlasing together all my scene objects onto one mesh, and changing the scale of objects (which haven't hit their max size) doesnt appear to change their size on the final lightmap. Am I misunderstanding something?

35. lorddanger

lorddanger

The Dark terrain happens when there is Bakery Direct Light added to the scene

Also does Adding bakery increases the build time significantly ?
    As in my testing 2 projects

Project A Without Bakery :
    Build Time : 203 Seconds Build Size : 617 MB

Project A With Bakery
    Build Time 5102 Seconds Build Size : 1.57GB

Project B Without Bakery :
    Build Time : 308 Seconds Build Size : 705 MB

Project B With Bakery
    Build Time : 6125 Seconds Build Size : 1.78GB

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  36. Enverex

Enverex

Yes, this problem is still occurring with the latest patches. In fact this is a bake I just did...

upload_2022-7-31_0-10-4.png

Using "Default" instead looks fine, but unfortunately leaves a lot of empty space on the map which is a shame given how well XAtlas (normally) works.

37. marckv

marckv

Is it possible to render some elements with full lighting, and others with indirect?

38. SuperPoopsy

SuperPoopsy

@guycalledfrank Hello there, i left you a message on discord, but it's probably better if i ask here instead.
    Are there any plans on implementing mono SH in Better Lit Shader like you did for SH?
    Cheers!

39. silentslack

silentslack

Hi, I'm really happy with the look and performance of a bakery full-lighting lightmapped scene (no realtime lighting) using URP and the baked spec shader (URPDirSpec).

However, I'd love to combine this with other shaders, such as toon shaders or curved world. Is that possible? Is there a procedure where you can add in the bakery dir spec shader into other URP shaders?

Thanks! Jake

40. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The SRP shaders include a shader graph subgraph to use on your own shaders. Check the manual for more on this. (I don't use SRPs, so I don't know more than that.)

guycalledfrank and silentslack like this.
  41. xxxxxyyyyyjjjjj

xxxxxyyyyyjjjjj

hi there, here is a problem i have met.
    In Unity2019.4.3, Bakery1.9. follow the manual i generate lightmap successfully in the editor. i got lightmaps in the folder and in the mesh inspector it has lightmaps.
    But go to the frameDebugger. shows that shader variable "unity_Lightmap" doesnot sample anything, even in the editor ererything works fine.(btw if i reopen the unity, at the first time frameDebugger can show the lightmap sample).
    And i need to load this scene at the runtime. and it will run on mobile(Android).
    when i load it at the runtime in the editor. framedebugger shows that it does not sampled. but it shows fine in the editor.
    Finially, i have lightmaps texture in my asset bundles. but all the lightmap sample change to "UnityBlack" which means nothing has been sampled. And for sure in the android device, all goes black.
    i dont know what happened.
    i've tried to resign the reference use "LightmapSettings.lightmaps = ..." at Awake() use a scrpit.
    and i breakpoint it with VS. it shows LightmapSettings.lightmaps has data in it. but it doesnot sample lightmap(i think sampler has sampled the unity_Lightmap, but there is no texture. so Unity give it a default tex-> "UnityBlack").
    sorry for my english. and hope this to be solved.

42. xxxxxyyyyyjjjjj

xxxxxyyyyyjjjjj

btw. urp renderpipeline. the Shader and the pipeline is wrote by myself. it works fine when i use Unity lightmap. and works fine on mobile.

43. Pingore

Pingore

I am having issues getting shader tweaks to apply. Whenever I try to apply it it says the Access to the Path is Denied (it does this for all tweaks). I have attempted to run unity as admin but that doesn't seem to work. Any tips on how to fix would be nice :). error.PNG

44. Enverex

Enverex

You need to run the editor as admin to be able to do the tweaks. Once you've done them, you can exit and go back to running it normally.

45. Pingore

Pingore

Ok I figured out why I couldn't run as admin. For some reason if you flag unity to run as admin but open the project through unity hub it will error out, but if you directly open the scene file you can run it as admin. My shadows now look amazing :D.

46. blueivy

blueivy

47. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Oh WOW!
    Now I NEED to use this!

It seems to be implemented already in Bakery, at least in the renderer (not sure about the Bakery Shaders, but it should?)
    Edit: yep, it's implemented in the bakery shaders already.

On the Bakery Render panel, Directional Mode -> Mono SH

@guycalledfrank I can't believe you put that on your twitter, implemented it in Bakery and didn't even mention it here, where your users actually are! Or did I miss this?

This is REALLY COOL: much better directionality than Unity while using half the memory!

guycalledfrank, Gooren and blueivy like this.
  48. silentslack

silentslack

I only see SH not MonoSH:

49. Gooren

Gooren

Hi, do Bent Normal Maps in HDRP influence the light baking process in any way?

50. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Update Bakery using the builtin GitHub updater

blueivy and silentslack like this.