Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ratking

ratking

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sounds like your bakery-csharp patch is outdated. halffloat2hdr interface has changed and uvnormal_probes error specifically was fixed.
    I'll push the latest stuff to the store this month, in case it's problematic to get patches from github...
    These problems were not related to specific Unity versions/hardware.

Looks like you forgot to add Bakery light components.

Check the quickstart tutorial:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Quickstart

Maybe also check this guide by Silent, I found it describes it pretty well for beginners: https://gitlab.com/s-ilent/SCSS/-/wikis/Other/Light-Baking

Yep.

3. Mumphy

Mumphy

Yes I did. Btw, must the skylight be added to a scene for Bakery to work properly?

I'm trying out my scene again, changing light parameters etc. and rendering, so far it all seems to work fine.
    It would still be useful to know, if possible, why the error I got showed up in the first place.

EDIT: Just wanted to add I got the error again, this was after adding a reflection probe and then baking again. I attached an image showing the log.

Also just realized you were not asking me :) sorry.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  4. noahx

noahx

I knew it was something basic, but got overwhelmed by other stuff. I had the components added, but when I first added them, I changed the intensity to 0 because of some tests. So later, I forgot to click on the button to match the real-time light.

Anyway, that part works now. But, do I need to do something specific for light probes? Apparently they are not storing any light.

Thanks.

5. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Is there way I can set the Bakery render settings for a scene via script? I have a bunch of scenes, and I want to automate setting some Bakery parameters

6. EugenioA

EugenioA

Doesn't work. Same problem with "new ftRenderLightmap".

7. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

I've downloaded them both from the github (master branch) using the code button > download zip, then I replace the files and start up Unity. At start up it tell me that some files need to be updated, when I press "I made a backup" it starts up without errors in the console and when I press "no" it starts up with these errors:

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(3326,55): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(3339,58): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.PathTracer' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU'

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(5039,55): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

This makes me think that the github files are either old or that i'm doing something wrong.

8. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

Hi there!

I'm getting weird seams on my levels. Seam fixing is enabled.
    upload_2021-5-13_17-11-56.png

I'm creating my levels with a modular package. How can I prevent those seams between my pieces?

Attached Files:

9. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Hi, I'm not able to bake lights to the terrain and my terrain won't show up in the RT Preview. Objects bake fine when following the quick start in the docs. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Unity 2020.3.7f1

10. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

Check if your terrain is instanced.

11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

"Failed to save TGA" can happen only if the tga file is being overwritten and it's locked by some other software (version control? Image editor? Unity...?). Just in case, Bakery removes the read-only attribute (if set) and even retries the write a few times with a timeout. If it still fails, it's probably permanently locked by some software. Can you reproduce it on a clean project?
    Maybe there are more details above this line in the log?

By default (if light probe mode is set to L1) they should be rendered together with lightmaps, automatically, when you click Render. If light probe mode is set to Legacy, you'll need to click "Render light probes".
    If you want light probes to also store occlusion from mixed lights, enable the "occlusion probes" checkbox.

Of course! Check these:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Scripting_API
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#Batch_scene_baker

Huh, weird. Just to make sure, does this work?
    - In ftRenderLightmap.cs find "void OnGUI()" and replace with "public void OnGUI()".
    - Call "bakery.OnGUI()" just after LoadRenderSettings

If it works, I'll investigate if there are some internal atlasing-related variables computed from the settings.

No, everything sounds correct actually.
    If you can reproduce anything mentioned in an empty/small project, send it to me, and I'll re-check if your files are correct or if there is actually a bug somewhere.

Are there invisible polygons inside these walls/floors i.e. are your modules just solid boxes? Bakery's leak prevention algorithm uses front/back faces to determine insides/outside of the geometry and fix leaks on the visible (outside) part.
    I wonder what happens if you actually disable "adjust sample positions" and "fix seams" in this scene?

Goldenvale's question about the terrain being instanced is good, there was some problem with it.
    If it doesn't work with either instancing on or off, can you send me some unitypackage with this terrain to test?

12. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Hey, thanks for the reply guys! Unfortunately the terrain is already instanced. I'm using MapMagic to draw the terrain, I wonder if that has anything to do with it - though if I bake the terrain I get the same result.

My project is about 8GB without the library folder. I'm happy to send it via google drive, but it's quite large, so shall I compress it first?

Thanks again !

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Oh, maybe. I don't know how this asset works.

I don't really need the whole project. If you can simply create any random terrain using this asset in an empty project and it won't work, that'd be a great case to investigate already :)

14. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Ok great, I'll put a project together :)

I forgot to mention I'm using URP 10.4.0, if that makes a difference

15. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Here's the link, thank you for doing this :)

*Link Removed*

I think the problem is MapMagic though, because it's working with a standard Unity terrain.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  16. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

I think the terrain being instanced is causing the problem, that's what I meant by check if it's instanced.

17. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

I've made a new project and copied the files from my game's project to it but I can't reproduce it. It works fine. So it must be something in my game's project that's causing the issues. I've tried to remove and add Bakery together with the github files but it's giving me the same errors. Are there any hidden files that are tied to a specific project that I have to remove?

18. VoxelBoy

VoxelBoy

Hi, when will Bakery support Unity 2021?
    I couldn't find this information anywhere. Also, the asset store package was last updated in Nov 2020. Is a new release on its way?
    Thanks.

19. newguy123

newguy123

Can I bake my scene on pc using my RTX 3090, then after the scene is baked, open it on my M1 macbook and carry on working and the bake will be in my scene and everything will work on my macbook, apart from I wont be able to bake again since no BVidia on macbook?

20. Mumphy

Mumphy

I see, yes, we are using Git. Maybe that is what is causing the problem. It doesn't seem to happen anymore though. Not sure if it has to do with me changing to simple mode and lowering the max resolution. The problem does not seem to occur in my other test scene. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Still happening, quite a lot. It's quite annoying, as it happens randomly. I don't understand what could be locking it. If it's Git, then I don't see how I can continue to use Bakery. I'll make another test scene and see if I can reproduce it.

Some other questions that has come up that I can't seem to find an answer for.

1) When working with a skybox material, should I still use the Unity environment settings (under lighting)?
    2) Should I add bakery lights only if I'm not using mixed or realtime modes on my lights?
    3) When I add two area lights (bakery example) and change the color, then match material to light, this changes the color on both area lights. Why is that? Should I instead add a unity area light with a bakery light mesh component?
    4) Could it be the version of unity I'm using causing problems? (2020.3.5f1)

Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  21. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Ah ok, I tried this out and it was exactly the problem. I'm now able to see the terrain in Bakery preview!

Thanks a lot for the support guys, very happy that it's now working :) !!!

Edit: for anyone else with this problem, I also had to make the terrain static

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Goldenvale likes this.
  22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So there was actually a bunch of problems:
    - Terrain not marked as static (!)
    - Terrain shadowcasting is disabled. It will still bake but won't be visible in RTPreview (and won't cast shadows in the lightmap).
    - Terrain instancing is enabled, as noted. It didn't work before. Just fixed it, it shouldn't be a problem in the next release :)
    - Huh, there is actually a bug causing terrains to appear transparent if your terrain shaders output anything to the alpha channel. A combination of this shader + these maps gave that. Fixed.

23. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Hey, so I can change most of this stuff in my other build no problem but I'm not sure about the last part.

Any idea when the next release will be live?

Thanks again :)

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not really. There is an asset (ftGlobalStorage.asset) to store default bake settings and things like the result of your initial GPU test, but it won't affect anything much.

Is there anything broken? I'd expect it to work normally.
    The last version I tested it on was 2020.3.2 though. I can barely keep up with these releases...

upload_2021-5-19_2-4-49.png

Should work. Also don't set xatlas as unwrapper in this case (it's disabled by default anyway; and it's kinda too slow to enable it; and it's Win32-only; I still recommend using xatlas as atlas packer though!).
    Probably also set this for maximum compatibility:

upload_2021-5-19_2-7-48.png

Git is not known to lock files (well I didn't notice it). I think it was PlasticSCM who did it?...

No idea if it'll help, but you can try switching from TGA to PNG. Currently this setting is not exposed in the UI, but you can set it by going to ftAdditionalConfig.cs and setting preferPNG to true instead of false.

Unity env settings don't affect Bakery. Instead, use the Skylight component.

Not needed for fully realtime lights, but required for mixed or baked.

Example area lights use the same shared material. Create a new material or duplicate the old one and assign it to the light you want to look different.
    Note that Light Mesh materials don't really affect the lightmap, only component settings matter. "Match material to light" is only there if you want it to render in Unity the same way it is seen by the lightmapper.

I didn't test this particular version, but it's unlikely.

Mumphy likes this.
  25. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

26. Mumphy

Mumphy

Yes, but I was actually wondering about the skybox material. In the "Bakery Sky Light (Script)" there is only a slot for "Sky texture". I have a Skybox Material and was wondering if that material can be applied to the Sky Light in some way.

Do I have to make this Skybox Material into a cubemap and then apply it to the "Sky texture" slot? There seems to be a script called "Camera.RenderToCubemap" for this.

Thanks!

27. EugenioA

EugenioA

This seems to be working, thanks!

28. marenin

marenin

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yeah, you can convert any skybox material to a texture and plug it to Skylight in a few clicks: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._use_Skylight_with_a_procedural_sky_shader.3F

Hmmm... I should probably just make a button for it on the Skylight component itself.

Huh, interesting. And I bet it works if you disable "Adjust sample positions"?

I guess it's just because of my sample position deduction from low-poly smoothed normals:

This algorithm doesn't take baked normal maps into account, hence the problem.
    If disabling it works, BUT adds some leaks, I can actually split it into two different checkboxes (because there are in fact two different algorithms, one for fixing smooth geometry, another to prevent leaking)...

marenin and Mumphy like this.
  30. MrZeker

MrZeker

Hello.

No matter what I do I keep getting an "Ca't generate Alpha buffer" error.
    How do I fix this?

31. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Possibly some procedural RenderTextures are used on some scene objects (with shaders being in transparent mode)?
    Don't mark these objects as static.
    The error was fixed btw, Bakery will ignore these textures from now on.

32. MrZeker

MrZeker

Ohhh, I just reinstalled everything and it seems to work now.
    However after making the lights things look kinda weird.

It looks very 2D-ish, and some objects are just extremely dark and have no reflection at all.
    How do I get the lights to look good? I set up everything as it is on the documentation

33. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

I have the same problem with baked objects having black reflections, haven't been able to figure it out.

34. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Realtime lights gave specular that you don't have anymore as they are baked. But you can:
    - Use Reflection Probes. Good option for highly glossy objects.
    - Bake in dominant direction or SH mode and use Bakery shader with "Lightmapped specular" option. It will give some specular approximation. Looks good on surfaces with medium/high roughness.
    - Use mixed lights and only bake GI/shadowmasks. Specular remains real-time.

Let's add it to the Wiki: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._can.27t_see_specular_lighting_after_the_bake

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    StopLookAndGo likes this.
  35. StopLookAndGo

StopLookAndGo

Hey me again XD

I've noticed that when I paint textures onto the terrain it screws with Bakery. I'm using Microsplat splatmaps, I wonder if that might be why?

https://imgur.com/a/98SduRO

36. JosquinDpt

JosquinDpt

Hi!
    Are you aware of an issue with Unity Cloud Build with Bakery Lightmap?
    If I build locally Android / iOS no issue, but using Cloud build doesn't work, like the lightmaps are not used and the lighting is defaulted to ambient light / skybox.
    Thank you!

37. EdyH

EdyH

Hi
    I am working with Bakery but I have problems with light bouncing.
    Have max value for bounce but I see no bounce.

Attached Files:

38. MostHated

MostHated

Any chance of this ever getting a Linux version?

39. marenin

marenin

Yep. It works if "Adjust sample positions" disabled

upload_2021-5-21_11-14-17.png

upload_2021-5-21_11-14-39.png

40. EdyH

EdyH

I think that Unity Cloud does not have Nvidia GPU which is a requirement for Bakery as it uses only NVIDIA GPU-s.

41. elok11

elok11

Hello,

I get some artifacts when I bake the lights. I tried with higher texels per unit, higher scale in lightmap, more samples, different lights, checked that the object has a UV lightmap, but there are always some weird square artifacts.

Do you know what could be happening or what could I check?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

42. Skjalg

Skjalg

Yes, the build time increased by 30-40 minutes. There was a lot of spam in the build log about an fbx post processor. Removing Bakery from the project and the build time went down from 50+ minutes to 12minues.

Code (CSharp):
    1. UV adjustment time: 0
    2. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    3. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.Object,string,object[])
    4. UnityEngine.Logger:Log (UnityEngine.LogType,object)
    5. UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
    6. ftModelPostProcessor:OnPostprocessModel (UnityEngine.GameObject) (at Assets/External/Bakery/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:123)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke (object,System.Reflection.BindingFlags,System.Reflection.Binder,object[],System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
    8. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke (object,object[])
    9. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal:InvokeMethodIfAvailable (object,string,object[])
    10. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal:CallPostProcessMethods (string,object[])
    11. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal:PostprocessMesh (UnityEngine.GameObject)
    13. (Filename: Assets/External/Bakery/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs Line: 123)

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  43. EdyH

EdyH

I forgot to set indirect intensity.

44. Mumphy

Mumphy

Hello again!

One thing I can't seem to fund any guide or help for.
    - If I want to use mixed lighting (indirect render mode in Bakery?), and I want to use real-time spotlights with baked indirect light--do I then then add several unity spotlights set to real-time with the "Bakery Point Light (Script)" component added to them with "Baked contribution" set to "Indirect Only"? Basically creating my own mixed light. Or do I go about this another way?

Thanks

45. ShaunCampbell

ShaunCampbell

I've seen similar issues that were related to metal/smooth textures (noise/mipmaps), may be something worth checking?

46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Is it Unity or RTPreview render? What kind of texture was there, was it very glossy? In which case it may be related to the question above ("no reflections")? https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._can.27t_see_specular_lighting_after_the_bake
    Overall MicroSplat terrains should work correctly (at least they did when I tested them last year).

Wasn't aware of it. Assuming there are no bugs in the Cloud Build itself, are you sure that
    - Build settings on your local build vs cloud build are the same?
    - Scenes are not asynchronously loaded (or used via asset bundles, addressables, etc)? In which case you might need to call ftLightmaps.RefreshFull() after it's fully loaded.
    - No scripts are removed from the build? ftLightmaps.cs and ftLightmapsStorage.cs must be included.
    - Shader stripping settings don't strip lightmapped shaders from the build? "Optimize mesh data" doesn't strip the UVs? https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...iated_at_runtime_in_a_build_have_no_lightmaps

Are you using custom shaders, does it happen with standard shaders?
    If it's a custom one, make sure that it either
    - Specifies the Meta pass: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MetaPass.html Meta Pass is what provides albedo/emissive information to all lightmappers inside Unity (both built-in and Bakery)
    - Uses standard variable names. If no Meta Pass is present, both Bakery and the built-in lightmappers will attempt to extract albedo/emission using typical names like _MainTex. Details: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Albedo_and_emission

Also just make sure that Indirect Intensity on your light and Indirect Boost in the main window are not 0.

Ah :)

Unfortunately this chance is low as I don't have any experience developing for Linux and currently Bakery depends on both WinAPI and Direct3D.

I see, so my suspicion was right.
    Anyway, you can bake without this checkbox for now. But if you encounter any leaks, I've added a little patch adding this option to ftAdditionalConfig.cs:

// Should we adjust sample positions to prevent incorrect shadowing on very low-poly meshes with smooth normals?
    public const bool generateSmoothPos = true;

Keeping "Adjust sample positions" but changing generateSmoothPos to "false" should leave the leak fixing working but turn off the smooth normals fixing algorithm.

I'm not yet sure that such case is very common, so it'll be there for now, but can eventually become a proper UI checkbox.

You don't need NV GPU to perform builds.

I have a feeling the normals on this object are broken. Just to check, try it with Normals = Calculate and 60 degrees (default):

upload_2021-5-25_16-29-46.png

Sounds like it was running the model postprocessor on every model. Which can happen on asset import, but not on build. Are you sure it happens EVERY time you build, not maybe just the first time?
    In which case it kinda sounds like a Unity bug. I'll test it on my end, but we can also expect Unity to fix it in some future version (at least LTS).

Exactly.
    You can also use the Shadowmask. It's a more advanced mixed lighting mode where you also bake shadows from static objects, thus only moving objects need to be rendered into the realtime shadowmap.

Mumphy and MostHated like this.
  47. MostHated

MostHated

I can understand that. Hopefully one day either someone *does* come out with something like this that works for Linux, or Unity gets the current light mapper working better. Both feel rather unlikely, but fingers crossed. Thanks

48. Layzen

Layzen

Greetings, which books or resources would you recommend to understand how lighting works in games (supposedly thoroughly)? Every time i get some error i feel like i get it only cause i dont really understand what each box in you soft does. I have university level background in math.

49. Mumphy

Mumphy

Hello! I'd also love to get some good book recommendations. Check out this tutorial though:

It's by far the best tutorial on lighting I've watched.

50. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

I first purchased Bakery a few weeks ago, and I am extremely impressed with it. My game involves very large indoor levels that are broken up into sectors, and I want to be able to bake the lightmaps for each sector separately. I read about the "sectors" feature that is planned for 1.9 and this is exactly what I need. Do you know when this feature will be available? Is there a way to access a beta version of it? I am a few weeks away from having a testable demo so it is urgent that I have this feature. The only way around it that I see is to write the sectors to their own scene files.