Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

What does the progressbar say when it freezes? How big is your scene?

I know all that. Thing is, I don't see how to set it on older (before 2017.3) versions of Unity. E.g. here are 2017.2 docs: https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.2/Documentation/ScriptReference/Light.html
    Note there is no bakingOutput.

Interesting. What is the exact scale and rotation of the object in world space (e.g. if you unparent it from everything)?

Yeah, it was originally working when the object itself is flipped, but then I extended it to parent. TBH the test is pretty dumb:
    bool isFlipped = Mathf.Sign(obj.transform.lossyScale.x * obj.transform.lossyScale.y * obj.transform.lossyScale.z) < 0;

Vagabond_ likes this.
  2. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Same here. New version fixed the problem on some negative scale. But I still have black object on some other negative scale.

3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

What's the exact transform?

4. CGBull

CGBull

There is no hint. The export scene is always displayed. Then I figured out the solution, just click either ReflectionProbe or LightProbe, and then click Render LightMap to successfully export the scene.

5. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

2018-08-18_00h10_41.png 2018-08-18_00h12_41.png 2018-08-18_00h13_26.png Some screenshot with only a skylight. With Enlighten is impossible to get this quality without using also area light on the windows. Texels 100, render times 45 minutes with a gtx 1070.

6. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

And this one of the object with negative scale that still have problem: 2018-08-18_00h22_15.png

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

These are AMAZING :eek:

I'll test negative scale more thoroughly

Archviz3d likes this.
  8. YouDesign

YouDesign

So, i am trying undestand how work with Render Selected with generated by Unity UVs. I am try bake render selection with Group Selector with different settings and without it - in result always lightmaps on not selected objects is broken. Can you tell - how use this feature? Or may be it`s contains errors and you can fixid it in future release?

9. g8minhquan

g8minhquan

I bought Bakery and a used GTX 1060 and I'm so happy with them.
    Super fast lightmap rendering! Thanks for the great asset!

Just another noob question, is there a way I can bake lightmap per prefab? Specifically I'm making an endless runner quite similar to Subway Surfer, so the main character position is always at a fixed position in world space, only background prefabs will be instantiated at runtime and moved towards camera. I want to bake lightmap into those background prefabs.
    Thanks

Mark_01, YouDesign and guycalledfrank like this.
  10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sounds like a bug :( I didn't test this feature for a long time. Also I should make it work like most people expect, e.g. without adding any groups. Will try to fix as soon as possible.

You sort of can. In fact it's not that hard, but there is no interface for it (yet?). You'll need some scripting:
    1. Create your prefab in a separate isolated scene.
    2. Bake it.
    3. The most important bit: use a script to find the object named !ftraceLightmaps and unhide it:
    GameObject.Find("!ftraceLightmaps").hideFlags = 0;

This object stores mapping between objects and lightmaps and applies them on Awake().
    4. Put this object inside the prefab.

Now if you instantiate the prefab, it should be lightmapped. Note that lightmapping might break if you rebake the whole scene later, so make sure you don't rebake scenes with already baked prefabs.

Attached Files:

g8minhquan, Mark_01 and YouDesign like this.
  11. YouDesign

YouDesign

Thanks. I'm sure, it`s very important function for most people...

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Good news: non-lightmapped objects (scale in lightmap = 0) now cast GI :)

vlm1.jpg

13. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Wasn´t this already working? I mean I had trees with lm scale 0 and they (seemed) to properly render shadows in lightmap.

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yeah, they did cast shadows correctly, but didn't bounce light properly.

TooManySugar and YouDesign like this.
  15. theorchestrator

theorchestrator

Hi, since updating to v1.1 the scene gets wayyy to bright. It didn't happen with 1.05. I already tried clearing all baked data as well as switching Unity versions. UnityLights are also disabled. Any ideas? :)

In Editor after bake:
    fine.PNG
    When starting the game in editor and after building.
    TooBright.PNG

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Try selecting all your lightmaps and setting Texture Type to Lightmap.
    Also for future bakes set Encoding to Mobile.
    What platform are you running on?

theorchestrator likes this.
  17. theorchestrator

theorchestrator

Setting them all to lightmap manually helped! Thanks! Platform is PC only atm

guycalledfrank likes this.
  18. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Hello,

I'm having a strange issue where materials that are assigned to my prefabs clear off when baked. I have to reapply the materials to every prefab after bake. Do you happen to know why this is happening?

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That didn't happen before - thanks, I'll check and fix

20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Found the bug, fixed it. Wait a bit for the next update (or contact me to send you a beta via PM) :)

negscale2.jpg

fuzzy3d, Amin-, Archviz3d and 5 others like this.
  21. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

You are the number one!

Archviz3d and guycalledfrank like this.
  22. YouDesign

YouDesign

Can these objects with 0 in scale in lightmap use with Light Probes?

23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yeah, they will, as any non-lightmapped object.

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Just added some interesting easy tweak to control how much light should pass through a polygon and become visible on backfaces. This is very useful for thin translucent objects like leaves, stuff you usually render with 2-sided shaders:

ftBackface4.jpg

ftbackface.jpg

ftBackface3.jpg

ftBackface5.jpg

Ideally it should be material property, but because I have to support existing materials, I'm not sure where to put it, and it's global for now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    CoastKid, Amin-, g8minhquan and 7 others like this.
  25. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

cool, may be this could be controlled per material. From a manager on the main menu, some sort of dropdown with an array of materials and the value aside. So "leaf" material will have a value of 0.6, "thickleaf" 0.8 ... Like you would add desired materials, not all scene mats listed. default would be thickness 1 for the rest.

26. ngfilms

ngfilms

havi
    in my case, . i found unity's lighting data asset file was assigned to global maps from previous unity bakes, removing it solved the problem ( assuming this data asset file is now defunct?)

27. lolclol

lolclol

when will the directional lightmaps will come ?

28. YouDesign

YouDesign

It`s great! Can't wait to try this... It would be good if the Backface GI working with vertex-lightmapping.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  29. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

you rock :)

30. ngfilms

ngfilms

i have a fairly large scene ( 1.7 gigs on unity ) , its almost all static. while Bakery exports, it uses memory above my ram limit of 16gigs which causes the comp to hang. is there a solution for this aside from getting more ram?

31. JohanL

JohanL

upload_2018-8-20_10-50-44.png

That would be the transform of one of the objects.

Attached Files:

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Shadowmask will come first. Hopefully even in the next version.

It should work!

And just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: Backface GI doesn't bake lighting on backfaces - it only propagates front-face illumination to back faces, so other objects that "see" the backface will be lit by it.

1. I reduced export RAM usage a bit in the latest (soon to be released) version, but not too much.
    2. What does the progressbar say when it hangs? "Rendering lightmaps - preparing..."? If so, it might be able to work, but doesn't due to a bug I found and fixed just yesterday. Some libraries used during export weren't handling 64-bit memory range properly and that could cause export to crash/freeze on a large scene. Try replacing this file in Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery and see if it helps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1338poM8Zt1NLtErnCy5TmxlZ0WCqK4WY

Thanks! That should be fixed now in the newest version (to be released).

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

"Shadowmask will come first. Hopefully even in the next version."
    OK now I'm seriously hyped.
    EDIT: unless you whant to keep this as surprise or secret would have nice some progress update on how the shadowmasking part coming out.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  34. ngfilms

ngfilms

35. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

is this same gpu lighmapper that would be coming on unity 2018.3 ??
    or its different?

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Different of course. I'm not Unity.

tntfoz and TooManySugar like this.
  37. lolclol

lolclol

I tried to bake a scene which only has mobile diffuse shader and i added a bakery direct light and i dont see an option for match light with direction light, however i tried to bake the whole scene but all i get is pure black lightmap. using unity 2017.4.1 . :)

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Mobile diffuse shader shouldn't be a problem. On which object did you add the light? Matching button only appears when Unity/Bakery lights are on the same gameobject.

Do example scenes work? If they do, then check for usual stuff in your scene - like if the object with Bakery light is enabled, and there is no huge shadowcasting skydome or something.

lolclol likes this.
  39. lolclol

lolclol

ok i made a mistake, i didn't add bakery light script to the default unity's direction light. Rendering Again. Sorry

40. lolclol

lolclol

In addition, do i need to add the bakery light script for unity's point, spot and area light ?

41. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You don't have to add Bakery lights to Unity lights. It only gives you a button to copy settings from one to another.
    But Bakery only respects its own light components.

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Something is coming :eek:

smask1.jpg

43. Balours

Balours

Hi!
    Looks awesome. I just tested with a couple a small scene and it worked good, then I tried on a more complexe scene but nothing to fancy and I'm getting this error at 55%:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ftUVGBufferGen.RenderUVGBuffer (UnityEngine.Mesh mesh, UnityEngine.Material[] materials, Vector4 scaleOffset, Matrix4x4 worldMatrix, Boolean vertexBake, UnityEngine.Vector2[] uvOverride) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftUVGBufferGen.cs:170)
    3. ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:2747)
    4. ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:1658)
    5. ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:1568)
    6. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:191)
    Any idea where this come from? I'll try removing one object after another to see if it changes anything and come back to you if I find something!
    Thank you,

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

45. DGordon

DGordon

Hurry up and finish Shadowmask and Directional lightmaps so you can take my money :).

46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Some more shadowmask tests. Sphere is the only dynamic shadow casting object, everything else has baked shadows.

smask2.jpg

AntonioModer likes this.
  47. Autarkis

Autarkis

Beautiful stuff.
    Does bakery support SLI setup .. and if not, is it something you're looking to implement?

48. sbsmith

sbsmith

@Autarkis I tested it today and perfmon showed both my GPUs engaged (a 670 and a 1060).

TooManySugar and guycalledfrank like this.
  49. sbsmith

sbsmith

I'm looking to include Bakery in an automated workflow for multi-scene baking. I apologize if I missed it in the manual and forum, but is there a callback when a bake is complete? It would be nice to have callbacks for completion and error handling. Right now I'm just looking at sticking one at the end of RenderLightmapFunc

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  50. Autarkis

Autarkis

Insta-buy then :)