Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. WryMim

WryMim

Good afternoon. There are a lot of messages in the topic and it is difficult to find an answer. Supported by URP ?

2. janchristianhesse

janchristianhesse

Is there a highlight shader for URP working with Unity 2019 LTS version? Looking for a way to do a mobile friendly highlighting system in VR and not having any luck.

3. Din0m1te

Din0m1te

Any plans to make this a UPM package?

atomicjoe likes this.
  4. Nihil688

Nihil688

Hello, is there a way to preview realtime lights in the previewer as well as baked ones? Just so we can get a more realistic result/expectation.

5. Luvrael

Luvrael

Thought I might use the bicubic function to repair my problems but after pressing the shader tweak I got this message and restarting Unity did not help me. How can I enable this option?
    upload_2021-4-1_13-15-35.png

6. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky

Hello,

is Bakery already compatible with URP 10.4 ShadowMask (Unity 2020.3) or will it be soon ?
    Thank you.

Falondrian likes this.
  7. Luvrael

Luvrael

In indirect and shadowmask mode, my baked scene often looks like this.
    upload_2021-4-2_10-58-31.png
    Spotlights and directional lights are set to Indirect and Shadowmask.
    I think that my light intensity is reasonable all (< 25),
    A multiplication of direct and intensity all the time = 1
    The problem shows most often when I want to use spotlight.
    When the scene turns black, no lightmap is shown in the mesh render. What can I do with this?

8. recon007jf

recon007jf

Hi, I am looking to do the same thing, did you ever find a solution? I really want to get my lightmaps from bakery into Altspace.

Thanks
    Joseph

fuzzy3d likes this.
  9. glucosetong

glucosetong

Hi, Im new to lightmapping and not sure what is going on here. I am trying different resolution and settings but this color ring still appear in the scene. Do you have any idea why this is happening?
    (Im using 2020.3 urp and this is he example scene)
    upload_2021-4-3_3-52-34.png

10. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That's the lightmap encoding scheme and compression format.
    READ THIS.

11. glucosetong

glucosetong

I set encoding to high quality and test for both linear and gamma color space. But it still happen :(

12. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

have you rerendered your scene?

13. glucosetong

glucosetong

Yes

14. glucosetong

glucosetong

I found the solution which is very stupid. Bakery will compress lightmap even I set no compression in lighting setting. Just go to lightmap and set the compression.

15. mangax

mangax

hi, thanks for your support.

i have a problem with a shader i made in shader graph to work with bakery baked shadowmask.
    i wanted to get better foliage shadow effect by using Transparent selfshadows in bakery light group selector, but the results doesn't look good..

check shadows on left compared to the ones on right.. the one on right is unity default URP shaders.

upload_2021-4-3_15-40-17.png

am assuming there is something bakery fetch from shader to draw these shadows properly.. that's why it works well with unity default shaders.. am not sure which keyword bakery is looking for??.. even in bakery preview tool.. unity shaders work.. but custom shader shows quads..

upload_2021-4-3_15-35-26.png

what exactly i should fix in my shader? without using transperant selfshadow option.. shadows are baked correctly on ground.. but when i try to use transparent self shadow.. it doesn't work..except with unity default shaders.

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Huh, does it?
    Apparently it does. Just checked my example scenes, they seem to work with shadowmask without any additional modifications in URP!

I can't easily answer this question. I guess you can only tell it through experimentation :D

It's a bit more complicated. Resolution is determined from surface area. The multiplier is applied to the area.

I usually do it the other way around, mostly increasing it on more important things. Checker Preview is your friend.

And yeah it's how it works in lightmap groups ("pack atlas" mode). The non-grouped multiplier is not relative though. It just globally scales each thing.

I can't keep up with these almost weekly updates that break everything :(. Seems to work on 10.3.2.
    Why SAMPLE_TEXTURE2D macro changes so frequently? I'll probably leave it for now and fix later when it's (hopefully) stabilized.

Yes. Actually I wanted to do it from the start, but there was some bug and I was too tired to fix it.
    Anyway, fixed it now! RTPreview should now render the first Skylight in the scene as background (update from bakery-compiled and bakery-rtpreview-csharp).

upload_2021-4-4_19-7-28.png

Right. Match button currently doesn't understand HDRP sky. My recommendation is to use this approach (I used it with HDRP myself): https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._use_Skylight_with_a_procedural_sky_shader.3F

Basically it'll bake the HDRI Sky to a simple cubemap that can be directly used.

trojant and Falondrian like this.
  17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Works with URP.

Do you mean specular? If you bake directional lightmaps or SH lightmaps or Volumes, you can use some of the included graphs:
    BakeryURPDirSpec.shadergraph
    BakerySHSpec.shadersubgraph
    BakeryURPVolumeSpecGraph.shadergraph

Not a fan. Last time I tried to install HDRP, it just got stuck for a few hours. There is no progress bar. Restarting and redownloading again worked (for some reason). Packages get downloaded to some weird folder you're not supposed to modify.
    Just... not a fan. Yet. Maybe the system will evolve in the future.

Mixed lights are previewed. Fully realtime lights are not. It's a bit tricky, since fully realtime lights don't even have Bakery components. Are you sure you want them completely realtime, not even with indirect lighting baked?

Were there any error messages in the console? Note that shader tweaks only patch base Unity shaders used by the standard render pipeline. URP/HDRP or some completely custom (not surface) shaders are unaffected.

Tested it today, and it works. URP just uses the same regular shadowmask-related properties as the built-in pipeline, so no additional modifications were needed.
    Love ELO!

How often is often? Is it random? Does it happen if you do something? Kinda looks as if all your lights are blocked by the geometry?

Yes, it's the compression and the encoding. Explained here: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...id_project.2C_and_lightmaps_don.27t_look_good

This is how opacity data is gathered: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Opacity
    Try using one of the default property names for the opacity map?
    Not sure how PLM handles it today, but for the most of its lifetime it used a similar approach. Maybe now there is a way to get output alpha value from the graph...

18. Loards

Loards

Hi, i updated to the latest Nvidia Studio drivers (461.92) and now bakery crashes the whole computer when it finishes the exporting phase. (apparently the video driver dies and either i get freeze windows or completely dead video output) Anyone with the same problem?

19. Luvrael

Luvrael

I got a warning like this recently.
    upload_2021-4-6_13-55-36.png

This error appears randomly. Sometimes it happens on a scene with 10 point lights and sometimes when it's over 100 it doesn't.

My spot light settings:
    upload_2021-4-6_13-55-9.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  20. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hey. Sorry for pokeing again.
    I am trapped in
    Unity 2020.3.2 LTS with verified HDRP 10.4.0 and cannot go back.
    Unity 2020.3.0 LTS has the same problem.

Latest Bakery/Github and HDRP Graphs.

We will stay in this Unity / HDRP version for quite a while (around 1year) and i have to rebake my scenes with directional SH over the weekend.

Because it´s an LTS release and the verified HDRP version now it would be nice if you could take a look.

These are the errors.

Unbenannt.JPG

Found out:
    After bake RNM and SH becomes visible when i reimport the ShaderGraph Package.
    But after play or rebake again it falls back to these view and errors shown in screenshot.

Probably someone already has an corrected BakeryDecodeLightmap.hlsl for the 2020.3.x LTS?

21. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Indeed, it's the LTS version: it will not change anymore in 2 years.
    @guycalledfrank just support LTS versions and skip TECH releases. LTS are the stable ones and will stay like that for 2 years, only with bug fixes. TECH releases are actually more like alphas and everything changes under your feet: not worth the effort to develop for.
    I personally only use LTS versions to avoid this kind of problems.

keeponshading likes this.
  22. keeponshading

keeponshading

@atomicjoe
    Thanks for upvoting this.
    As thank you i will send you my complete project which is
    all Bakery examples converted to HDRP.
    Every scene has his own volumes and converted HDRP materials to look exactly like the Bakery BuiltIn RP examples.
    It s much more easy for beginners to start with this in HDRP.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  23. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Send this to Frank, it could be useful.
    Personally, I'm still using built-in forward with my custom single-pass lighting uber shader.
    The same that Valve did when they first used Unity for VR and the same that Unity should have done instead of the terrible and embarrassing broken mess that the new render pipelines are. Breaking compatibility with everything that came before for an overall worse experience and ditching one of the best features of Unity since version 3: surface shader coding.

guycalledfrank and keeponshading like this.
  24. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Is there any way i can make better use of all this space? Im rendering at 4k to retain as much detail as i can before compression. but theres so much black/unused space. is there a setting or something so it takes less lightmaps to cover an area?
    upload_2021-4-6_21-49-49.png

25. glucosetong

glucosetong

Is there a setting in bakery equivalent to albedo boost in unity lighting?

26. keeponshading

keeponshading

27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

OH WOW! THAT'S AWESOME!
    Lightmap AND lightprobe AND reflection probe blending!
    And Bakery support out of the box!
    Now, that's seriously a must-buy for anyone using lightmaps!

THANKS @Eugene-B FOR THIS!!
    You saved me from developing and maintaining it myself! :D

guycalledfrank and Eugene-B like this.
  28. keeponshading

keeponshading

Bakery, Bakery RT, MLS
    all you need for highest FPS Photorealism

Only tested the prerelase HDRP version which should be finished soon. Flashed.

So Unity. When you are searching an USP Asset combination. Here it is.)

29. keeponshading

keeponshading

I think you could finally close this thread....)

Features to come soon:
    -̶ ̶G̶I̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶d̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ [Added in v1.1]
    -̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶d̶o̶w̶m̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶.̶[Added in v1.2]
    -̶ ̶L̶O̶D̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶.̶ ̶[Added in v1.3]
    -̶ ̶D̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶m̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶(̶b̶u̶m̶p̶,̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶u̶l̶a̶r̶)̶.̶[Added in v1.4]
    -̶ ̶A̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶.̶ [Added as BakeryVolumes in v1.8]
    - Runtime switchable/blendable lightmaps support.
    - ̶̶̶P̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶v̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶w̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶a̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶r̶̶̶a̶̶̶c̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶.̶̶̶ [Added as a separate asset]

30. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Hi, first thanks for a brilliant plugin! I have a problem where scene bakes fine but then keeps reverting to a messed up version of itself and I can't figure out why. I'm on URP, there are some lodgroups there etc. Is there anyone that would have time or knowledge to help me troubleshoot this?

Good version right after bake:

Unity_PWJaRarDZn.jpg

Later during the same day, perhaps after being in other scenes and then revisit. Could also be after som commited and pulls from version control (Plastic)

Unity_G1CSnWj8Dk.jpg

I bet this is something simple, but I'm not sure what.

31. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

guycalledfrank likes this.
  32. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

I have a strange one.... in unity regular lightmapping no problem. In bakery after unity unwrap it has discolorations no matter what. The normals are correct in blender. Any ideas? It all supposed to be white.

Attached Files:

33. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Its not the same problem i had right Above? Bakning the same objecs in many scenes but adjusting the UVs many times created a conflict.

34. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

No, but thank you for the response. It is only in one scene in a stripped down project.... very strange. I still have not figured it out and I need to soon the client will want it looking correct soon. Hopefully someone knows something.

Thanks!

35. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Weird. TBH I never tested it with the Studio driver (I'm on the "game-ready" one). Can you check if it works if you enable/disable RTX mode? They use different OptiX version. Maybe the Studio driver decided to deprecate older OptiX or something.
    I can't find the exact game-ready vs studio comparison, but I usually hear about the game-ready one recommended on NV forums (perhaps the studio one is also less frequently updated):

upload_2021-4-10_19-5-46.png

upload_2021-4-10_19-6-43.png

It's not random. It's caused by the overlaps between light boundaries. If you have 100 perfectly non-overlapping lights, you'll never get into this issue. But put 5 shadowmasked lights in one spot, and it will appear.
    Unity designed the shadowmask mode to only support 4 channels. Built-in lightmappers will silently fall back additional lights to non-shadowmasked. Bakery just prints this message instead.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightMode-Mixed-Shadowmask.html
    ("If more than four lights overlap, any additional lights fall back to Baked Lighting.")

OK, I've updated the package (removed TEXTURE2D_ARGS macro):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1_oNZyPptlcUWWjcXzcTv1-b-mPJBsw/view?usp=sharing
    It's also on the Wiki page.

Loving the shader graphs... sigh:

upload_2021-4-10_20-25-55.png

Makes sense.

Pretty sure most of it is actually "used" area, but most of your polygons are in shadow. Bakery doesn't know what will be fully shadowed in advance (that's what lightmapping is computing).
    I had a similar issue in the island demo. Lots of rocks and debris, many of them intersecting the terrain and each other = many polygons are actually invisible/in full shadow. In such cases ideally you should preprocess your geometry and delete all occluded polygons. In my case, however, I didn't have time to implement it, but I also didn't want to waste lightmap space and settled with per-vertex lightmaps for these meshes.

Not really. Maybe boosting Indirect Intensity will do the trick for you?

Me too!

Thanks! Just answered your PM.
    Oh wait, I actually answered you on Twitter yesterday :D

Interestingly I can't import the OBJ. Neither into Unity, nor into 3dsmax:

upload_2021-4-10_21-18-55.png

upload_2021-4-10_21-19-31.png

Not sure what's wrong with it. Tried FBX?

36. RazT

RazT

Hello everyone!
    Is this asset a good solution if I have modular pieces (quads) and I want to avoid weirds shadowy lines once I try to bake a light in Unity?

37. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I use the Studio Drivers v461.92 and Bakery renders fine on RTX mode (rtx3090)
    The Studio Drivers are just more stable drivers than the Game Ready ones. They are supposed to be tested on 3D apps, while the Game Ready ones don't.

guycalledfrank and newguy123 like this.
  38. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Hi, I've been trying to get RT Preview to start. I'm on a stationary RTX3080 card. But I only end up with this in my preview window. Rings a bell?

.ftracelog.txt:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. interactive
    3. Loading geometry...
    4. Loading alphas...
    5. Tile size: 512
    6. Device 0: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (ON)
    7. Used host memory: 51mb, available GPU memory: 9090mb
    8. MODE: interactive
    9. USING HALF
    10. Load shaders...
    11. Loading shader lmPreview.ptx::oxMain...
    12. Loading shader lambert_preview.ptx::oxMain...
    13. Loading shader clip_rtx.ptx::oxMain...
    14. Loading shader shadow_rtx.ptx::oxMain...
    15. Loading shader attrib_trimeshTexPreview.ptx::interpolate...
    16. # CUBEMAP: 256 256
    17. Loaded vertex shader: quad.vso
    18. Loaded pixel shader: output.pso
    19. # SCREEN BUFFS: 640 480
    20. # ALBEDO: 2048 2048
    21. # EMISSIVE: 2048 2048
    22. # SCREEN BUFFS: 0 0

39. NicolasDuboc

NicolasDuboc

Hello there !

I'm baking several scenes using several computers and a versioning client (Perforce). I use these settings :

upload_2021-4-13_16-27-59.png

When I submit and get the result of the baking on my main computer, the UVs layout of the lightmaps is broken on some assets. Right now, I'm submitting the lightmaps and the saved scene. Reimporting the mesh does nothing as the UVs processing is set to "don't change".

Is there something I'm forgetting to push regarding the UVs layout ? I think it might be related to the temp storage folder which is a local folder on every computer, as the problem don't exist on my "baking computers" ?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  40. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

I had a similar thing. I tried doing a right click on the model prefabs and choosing "Re-import" in unity project pane. See if that helps.

41. NicolasDuboc

NicolasDuboc

I did try that without success, as the Asset UV processing is set to "don't change"

42. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Your UVs were changed at some point.
    Rebake the scene but setting the UV processing as "Remove UV adjustments" this time OR set the UV processing as "Adjust UV padding" and reimport manually the models that are affected (right click reimport) in the machine you are having trouble with.

43. NicolasDuboc

NicolasDuboc

Hm, so anyway I need to rebake the scenes where this issue happens with my main machine ? The whole point is to use other machines to bake the scenes (long baking time).

44. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No. The thing is: when you first baked the scene, you made changes to the UVs. Even if after that you set it to "don't change", the UVs were already changed, and that's why you are having issues in your other machine.
    So, if you go to the machine were the UVs are scrambled, set Bakery to "ADJUST UV PADDING" and then manually reimport the meshes that are giving you problems (in the unity project folder, right click reimport), then the UVs should be fixed (as long as all other Bakery settings are equal as the machine were you modified the UVs in the first place.)
    If after that the UVs are still broken, then it may be because the UVs were modified when Bakery had a different setup. If that's the case, you'll have to rebake the scene in the other computer but setting the UV processing to either "Remove UV adjustments" (in this case Bakery will reset the UV adjustments it did and set them as default) OR set the UV processing to "Adjust UV padding", set it equally in your other computer and reimport the meshes in the other computer. (because Bakery adjusts the UVs of the models when you import the 3D models)

If all of this is too complicated, just set the UV adjustments to "Remove UV adjustments" from now on every time you bake and you will not have any problems with multiple computers. (at the expense of a slightly worse lightmapping)

45. NicolasDuboc

NicolasDuboc

@atomicjoe
    Thank you, I was writing an update :
    I did rebake 1 scene only on my main machine where it was broken with "Remove UV adjustments". The UVs must had been changed on this machine only. UVs are now working as expected on this machine, and on every scene.

Thank you very much for your help and detailed answer :)

guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  46. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Remember you don't need to rebake the scene to fix this, you only need to set Bakery UVs option how you want and then reimport the 3d models in your project view. This would apply any UV settings you set in Bakery.

NicolasDuboc likes this.
  47. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Did you update from bakery-compiled, but not bakery-rtpreview-csharp?

bjornsyse likes this.
  48. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi.
    Is it somehow possible to connect the RT Preview exposure to the one from the camera overide exposure in the scene window settings per option.
    They should show same expoure when you are in Baked Lightmap scene window shading mode.
    For now they have complety different scales in values and are not machtable when not 0.

A option to handle the pre exposure from volume overrides per option in the RT preview would be helpful too.
    The Unity scene window has the PostProcessing flag. This one would be very helpful for RT preview too. If enabled your Post Processing set exposure stuff is set in RT preview too.
    I know hard stuff.

I tried hard but to rebake new HDRP exposure and light intensity logic from
    the Standard HDRP Scene or new Standard HDRPAutoShowroom is still not possible without doing complete new exposure and light intensity settings (low values) for the hole scene/project.

The Bakery copy values in from lights and HDR Sky to Bakery ones works in Bakery BuiltIn RP like you expect.
    In HDRP it still breaks every understandable setups.

At least i t think the two options for RT preview would help to further improve Bakery and HDRP Standard PLM setups in a comparable way.

To work with the physical camera and physical plausibel values in HDRP we need the feature and setup parity from light/ibl intensitys, exposure and pre exposure logic.

I can understand to handle and support BuilInRP / HDRP expousre and intensity modes must be a nightmare.
    But i think the time has come to setup Bakery as easy for HDRP like it was for for BuiltIn RP.

For now i found now way to explain these complex light/exposure setups in HDRP to beginners and not so experienced users to use Bakery for HDRP.
    PLM and HDRP Postprocessing and Light setups. - Yes. You can get behind after some time and it makes sense in a physical way.
    For Bakery and HDRP Postprocessing and Light setups in a comparable way they are still these things to improve for HDRP to make it more user friendly and understandable and more to allow more physical based baking with the physical setups in the new HDRP world.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  49. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hey! Is there a way to convert a custom (not Amplify) built-in shader to something that will work with Bakery Volumes? Like, include some code somewhere?

50. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Hi, thanks for the tip. I thought I had done that, but after doing it again it started working so I guess I hadn't.