Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ha, indeed, it happens in URP. However, there is no reason to disable "Baked Global Illumination". Progressive won't do anything, unless you ask it or have "auto generate" enabled.

Why not use LODGroups? Bakery can generate unique lightmaps per LOD. You can later disable the LODGroup component and use your own switching logic.

Can't see the red errors on your screenshot. Any details about them? Note that apart from the lightmap files, you'll also need to sync:
    - the scene
    - model *.meta files, in case "Adjust UV padding" was enabled
    See: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...2Fother_version_control_system_with_Bakery.3F

Interesting. Bakery relies on OptiX library to do parallelization. Also in ftRenderLightmap.cs you can find this line:

const uint deviceMask = 0xFFFFFFFF;

(not sure if it's in v1.71 or was added later in github patches).
    Anyway, it is supposed to tell it which GPUs to use.
    0xFFFFFFFF = all
    0 = first
    1 = second

I wonder if setting it to e.g. "1" actually makes your second card do anything? Curious to know if it just can't run them in parallel or can't use the second one.

Also, do you have RTX mode enabled?

Bakery doesn't perform anything on the GPU, unless you bake. Sounds like it's simply Unity destroying it, thus I suspect your GPU is likely defective from the start :(
    Did you try any GPU-intensive games, do they crash?

The only background functionality it has is checking if you changed any checkboxes/sliders in the window and saving them if you did. This is done in a plain C# script.
    Lightmap injecting happens only once when you load a new scene. It also just uses a simple C# script to assign textures to renderers.

You can do Bakery->Utilities->Clear baked data->Clear all to completely get rid of the hidden object (also close Bakery window first, so it doesn't reinitialize it).

You can use a separate lightmap group for this object: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Bakery_Lightmap_Group_Selector

... and set its render mode to e.g. Full Lighting:

upload_2020-11-16_19-21-5.png

He's good!

2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Currently I don't see enough evidence for it. There are other people who managed to bake just fine. What is clear, though, is that OptiX 5.1. doesn't seem to work on 30XX, and this is what the non-RTX Bakery and "Legacy denoiser" were built on. However, both the RTX version and the non-legacy denoiser seem to work OK.
    I added automatic optimal settings detection yesterday, basically it's a little benchmark that tries to run stuff and selects best option from the ones supported:

upload_2020-11-16_19-26-1.png

3. keeponshading

keeponshading

Yes.
    Please support him that all Bakery Directional Modes are supported from beginning.

Then you could finally fully close your list. .))
    Mission accomplished.

Features to come soon:
    -̶ ̶G̶I̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶d̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ [Added in v1.1]
    -̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶d̶o̶w̶m̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶.̶[Added in v1.2]
    -̶ ̶L̶O̶D̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶.̶ ̶[Added in v1.3]
    -̶ ̶D̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶m̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶(̶b̶u̶m̶p̶,̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶u̶l̶a̶r̶)̶.̶[Added in v1.4]
    - A new light probe system.
    - Runtime switchable/blendable lightmaps support.
    - Preview camera path tracer.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

We're chatting a lot for the past... year? So there shouldn't be any compatibility problem :D

keeponshading likes this.
  5. Ukounu

Ukounu

I have Unity with my game project open right now, and it's not crashing. And I can open again a copy of the same project with Bakery installed (I kept it in a separate folder), and it's guaranteed to crash within several hours. This system crash is fully replicable now.

And yes, I launched not only games, but many other programs, and did AIDA64 GPU stress test. All of them work fine.

Within the first three days after installing RTX 3070 I had about 15 system crashes, all of them happening within 2 hours (maximum) after opening a Unity project with Bakery plugin.

After deleting Bakery and cleaning all of its files and injected objects (on November 13), I had no more crashes after working with the same project full time for three more days (as of today).

15 crashes vs 0 during the same time interval in the save environment sounds as a very strong evidence to me. Otherwise I'm not sure what you think the "evidence" is supposed to be. If I can perform some additional test/experiment which you will consider to be a conclusive proof, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  6. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

My only guess: your Bakery project has too many lightmaps, and it's touching some upper regions of video memory when open (which other applications didn't touch). As as I said, there is no any background activity.

"causing graphics artifacts or shutting them down completely" is a strong clue towards defective VRAM hardware (happened to me with a few GPUs in the past before they died).

No software has the ability to cause such havok, as drivers/OS are specifically guarding against it (if the hardware is intact). The worst thing you can "normally" get is a BSOD, in which case its message/error code would be another clue. If you have auto-restart-on-BSOD, the relevant messages are usually found in the Windows event viewer (run evenvwr -> windows logs -> system)

Try some of these?
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-with-video-card-stress-test-its-memory/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  7. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Hi, I just bought Bakery & the RT preview plugin! Thank you for having done the best light baker I've ever seen in a game engine. One click - lol - and everything is as I wanted xD

BUT, there is an issue with the user interface update in unity, as soon as I install bakery (without RT). for example if I select an object in the project/hierarchy the Inspector doesn't update/refresh, ,or build settings and other windows can't be open/don't react anymore. I've tested it in Unity 2019.4.14f1 and in Unity 2020.x . Everywhere the same problem. But as soon as I delete bakery & the editor/bakery folders and start the project again, everything runs smooth again. I also tried switching the UI to default, which worked for a second, but after some clicks again, nothing reacts anymore,

Are there any experiences with my issue?

8. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

9. Ukounu

Ukounu

I don't have a single lightmap in my project, either from default Unity lightmapper, or from Bakery. I did a few small tests with Bakery back in June, after which I deleted all content from "Bakery lightmaps" folder (there were less than 10 MB in total, I think), and didn't bake anything since then.

Installed and ran OCCT and GpuMem Test right now. Both completed successfully and show there are no issues with the card. Screenshots below.

Untitled-2.png Untitled-3.png

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmmm I think I encountered it before, even without Bakery (??). I noticed it goes away if you alt-tab the editor (change window focus to something else, then back to Unity). Not sure how Bakery can affect it (pretty sure I had it randomly even when Bakery's window was closed).

Hmm are you sure? I have a few groups that don't render a shadowmask in my project. Can you completely delete the shadowmask file, bake it and check if it's regenerated?

OK, I give up, it's an absolute mystery then. I'd still try replacing the card, because I have reports of other people using 3070/3080 just fine.

11. RogueCode

RogueCode

Correct. I get this quite often and have never had bakery installed.

I'm trying to get access to the repo using https://geom.io/bakery/github-access.html but it says my Incorrect Invoice. I'm copying it directly from the invoice and have tried with and without the "IN".

12. MrZeker

MrZeker

Hello, i bought this asset today.
    Im on Unity 2019.12 LTS and im trying to bake lighting on a scene, and everybody here praised the speed of this asset, but it is going at a rate of 1% per 10 minutes.
    The scene im tyring to bake is quite big, but still, unity default baker never took more than 1 hour to bake it.
    Am i doing something wrong?

13. Luvrael

Luvrael

Hello, I have a problem with files that are being pushed to the repository. Bake works fine, but when I change the branch and then go back to the one with lightbake, I see bleeding on objects that were well baked before.
    I am sure that all generated files were pushed to the repository.
    Does your asset save any file in the Unity library or does it save something beyond the assets folder?
    Do you know why this is happening?

14. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Hello, im building a game for mobile, and for my interior lit areas, lighting seems to be causing a big problem in game both for performance, as well as texture flickering. Im curious if it's possible to use bakery to lightmap objects/areas that will be duplicated, and retain its lightmap info.

In my game each zone a player visits its duplicated from a template, and they wander around in there, but from my experience testing, the duplicated zones dont retain the lightmap info from the original/template. Am i doing something wrong or is that a limitation of lightmapping?

here's an photo to give an idea what i mean:

the first frame shows the interior lightmapped area,
    the second shows the template,
    the third shows how each area is duplicated for each individual player that enters

AbandonedMinesLightmapping.png

laurentlavigne likes this.
  15. Ukounu

Ukounu

And when I return it for replacement, how am I supposed to explain the "problem" it has? Should I say that it works perfectly fine for every task and under every stress test I throw at it, and the only time it crashes is launching Unity with one very specific GPU job script written by some dude from the Internet? And that this complacent dude from the Internet kept insisting that he knows better than any diagnostic and stress test software that my card is broken, and adamantly refused to accept any possibility of his scripts malfunctioning?

No sane person is going to accept this nonsense as a "proof" for factory defective GPU which needs a replacement. I suppose you are just outright trolling me now. o_O

Since it's clear by now that you intend to ignore all the evidence and don't care about investigating the issue and making any tests, I won't waste any more of my time reporting on it. Thanks for nothing.

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Can you PM/email it to me? Will take a look.

I guess you used default 20 texels per unit? Resolution may require tweaking.
    Also, if you have a terrain, try disabling Terrain Optimization.
    Also if you're on 20XX or 30XX don't forget to enable RTX mode!

Yes, you can use Lightmapped Prefabs for that.

There are no GPU jobs running when baking is not in progress. You can check it in Profiler (enable "profile editor").

I understand your frustration. Yet I don't think it is possible for Bakery to cause system-wide crashes while performing literally nothing. The only application you are running while crashing is Unity.

If you simply import Bakery in a fresh empty project and open any example scene (e.g. Sponza), not baking anything, does it still happen?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  17. Luvrael

Luvrael

@guycalledfrank
    I see that u answered other questions. Would you answer me too? :D

18. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sorry! I somehow missed it.

General info on version control:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...2Fother_version_control_system_with_Bakery.3F

So if you have "adjust UV padding" enabled, your static mesh assets will be postprocessed. The processing instructions are then stored to .meta files associated with models. When you trigger model reimport, ftModelPostprocessor script will read the instructions and apply the same calculated UV padding to models.
    What you say sounds like a UV mismatch. If you are sure that meta files were also pushed, try right click -> reimport on the models?

Additionally, if you use shared assets between different scenes, take a look at this:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._in_one_scene_breaks_its_UVs_in_another_scene

19. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Wanted to upload an after, bakery worked beautifully. took about 11 hours to render though with a 980 ti 6gb GPU.
    AbandonedMinesLightmappingAfter.png

20. sandworm

sandworm

Has anyone ever seen this behavior? I just purchased Bakery (when it was $55 unfortunately haha!) and I'm no lighting master, but it seems like I'm missing something. I have tried to reduce my scene to a single Bakery light to verify, but as soon as I bake with Bakery I get a pure white light map which blows out the scene.

I could really use some help here, I'm lost!

Attached Files:

21. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I have to apologize! It actually was Unity itself. I had to clean up my system from unity to get rid of the problem.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  22. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Considering this asset. Can someone provide a succinct reason I would use this over vanilla Unity or other assets?

23. namdo

namdo

Hi,

Ive been getting this error on Unity 2018.4.14f1 (The picture).Im unable to bake lights, probes and reflection probes.

Any idea why?

Attached Files:

24. sandworm

sandworm

Still getting the same complete white lightmap error after switching build to Windows. Might have to refund if I can't get this working... :(

25. Luvrael

Luvrael

Hi, Thanks for your last answer. I have one more problem. Occurs when trying to bake point lights with the shadowmask option. The shadows are then very sharp. I have tried various settings. (For example, I was increasing the "shadow spread").

Attached Files:

26. Augis1980

Augis1980

Hi, I have the same object selected o 2 different pcs, manually replaced scene with metafiles, and all scene folder, also replaces all objects with their metafiles, Baking settings are below. You can see in the image that UV atlas is different on different computers, how is that possible? Is there some other secret file that keeps this information? (I also deleted ftlocal and ftglobal as you suggested somewhere else on this forum).
    upload_2020-11-23_18-11-7.png

Attached Files:

27. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

@guycalledfrank
    so im trying to use bakery to improve lighting for my android game, but the lightmaps blow up my build size and make it larger than the 150mb limit, im looking at using addressables, but theyre still stored in the levels lightmap settings, what can i do to remedy this?

28. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

... in the meantime...

Bakery v1.8 was released!
    Updated RTPreview will land soon (waiting for Unity)

Full changelog:

- Added 3D texture baking as a light probe alternative (BakeryVolume).
    - Added OpenImageDenoise and OptiX 7.2 denoisers.
    - Lightmap Groups can be now applied to objects with LODs.
    - Legacy light probe rendering speed was significantly improved (thanks atomicjoe).
    - Added option to manually group multiple lights in one shadowmask.
    - Added automatic compatibility detection for RTX mode and denoisers.
    - Updated and improved HDRP and URP shader graphs.
    - Terrain.castShadows is now taken into account (was always true before).
    - Improved spotlight intersection precision when grouping shadowmasked lights (less chance of going out of channels).
    - “Clear baked data” no longer clears baking settings (but it can if you ask).
    - AO no longer applies darkening to L1 light probes.
    - Added _TransparencyLM support (will override main alpha map; red channel used).
    - Added option to use PNG instead of TGA for masks or directions (ftAdditionalConfig.cs).
    - Bakery no longer instantly disables realtime GI in the scene or disables built-in auto-generation before any lightmaps are baked.
    - Reduced VRAM usage for GI pass when many LODs are used in the scene.
    - Added OnPreFullRender event.
    - Fixed skinned meshes used as light meshes.
    - Fixed incorrect (indirect-only) dominant direction baked in Subtractive mode.
    - Fixed light meshes sometimes leaking onto other objects.
    - Fixed cubemap encoding detection in Android projects (now correctly handles both DoubleLDR and true HDR).
    - Fixed inverted HDRI rotation (use “Correct rotation” checkbox).
    - Fixed L1 light probes showing an error in a scene with empty light probe groups.
    - Fixed default atlas packer not always respecting “Split by scene”.
    - Fixed light mesh + Unity area light combination sometimes resulting in wrong light rotation.
    - Fixed dominant direction mode sometimes not correctly activated.
    - Fixed precision errors with light meshes having very large scale value.
    - Fixed AO blending when using large AO intensity values.
    - Fixed rare out-of-bounds error on scene export related to textured light meshes (thanks Silent).
    - Fixed batched point lights silently failing when lights were incorrectly configured, instead of using fallback and printing to console.
    - Fixed sometimes inaccurate/noisy silhouettes of alpha cutouts.
    - Fixed alpha thresholds sometimes applying to wrong alpha maps.
    - Fixed incorrect weighting of light meshes for L1 light probes very close to the light surface.
    - Fixed “Match material to light” not being undoable.
    - Fixed disabled direct/point lights affecting light probes in Legacy mode.
    - Fixed spotlight gizmo shape.

Regarding volumes:
    Check the new example scenes :)
    And don't forget the docs: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Bakery_Volume

A bit too long, I bet you should be able to get similar results with less samples. What is your GI/skylight sample counts?

Weird! Does it also happen in example scenes?
    If it doesn't, is there any particular difference between example lights and your lights?
    If there is none... what shaders are on your scene?

If you are absolutely happy with built-in lighting, you can use it. But if you have any problems with it or things you wish it supported, then you can check if Bakery solves the problem.

Using 30XX GPU? Make sure to enable RTX mode. New v1.8 release will detect and recommend it for you automatically.

Can you show the full image? Not sure if it's a shadow or spotlight shape? Also when increasing shadow spread, increase shadow sample count accordingly, currently it looks as if you had 1 sample for the light.

Not sure; can you try the "alternative solution" with the padding asset? https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=How_do_I...#Alternative_solution

Try using lower resolution (don't forget you can change it per-object with Mesh Renderer -> Scale in lightmap) or more efficient UV2 layout?
    TBH I didn't test Bakery with addressables (they are still pretty new), so not sure if they play well together.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  29. Luvrael

Luvrael

On the scene, I have a directional light with shadowmask settings that bake everything properly. The problem arises when I try to add point lights. When "baked contribution" is set to Direct and Indirect bake comes out fine, but characters don't leave any shadow in their area, while when "baked contribution" is set to Indirect and Shadowmask "I get square shadows like in the picture. shadows only appear bake with the Indirect and Shadowmask settings in point lights.
    What values would you suggest for shadow spread and shadow sample in point lights?

Attached Files:

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Are you using "Distance shadowmask" mode by any chance? It can be toggled in Bakery's main window or in Unity's quality settings:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.1/Documentation/Manual/LightMode-Mixed-DistanceShadowmask.html

31. Luvrael

Luvrael

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

What is your rendering pipeline and light settings? I wonder if real-time falloff of the pipeline just doesn't match baked falloff?

33. Luvrael

Luvrael

I use Standard pipeline.

Attached Files:

34. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm I can't see anything wrong here. Can you send me this scene (preferably just this part with the shadow) as unitypackage?
    Oh also, did you enable any of Bakery's shader tweaks regarding light falloff? (in this setup you probably shouldn't)

35. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

@guycalledfrank
    so in the top pic, i have baked the lights, scene looks great, all the jazz, but the sphere that's pitch black is a new, dynamic object (would be like players and monsters and such). but isnt lit up by the lights in scene (that have normal light components, and the bakery point light component)

the bottom picture all i did was duplicate the light, and suddenly its light works again! (Horray!) but it also lights up static objects that should only be effected by the baked lights) how can i fix this? i want baked lights whos lightmaps light up the static environment, and realtime lights that ONLY light up non lightmap static objects

Lighting Error.png

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Did you try baking light probes? They are the most optimal option here (or volumes).

Yeah, it's because when you duplicate a light, Unity will make it realtime, until it's baked again.
    In this case you should try using the Culling Mask on the light to force it only affect objects on a particular layer (your dynamic objects). This light won't need any Bakery components.

Imillionaire likes this.
  37. Artkovski

Artkovski

Hi there, I finally got Bakery and so far I love it. It's fast, and although subtle I feel like the GI is softer and more realistic than what Unity's default baker achieves.

That being said I couldn't find a way to get rid of these jagged edges under objects that have a slight rotation to them. Is there a trick to it that I don't know yet?

Attached Files:

38. sacb0y

sacb0y

I haven't updated to the latest version yet but what might be the deal with these random dark spots?

upload_2020-11-26_12-38-37.png

39. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Is there a way to make the these volumes textures 3D visible in scene for debuging.
    I use the HDRPBakeryVolumeGraph.

volumes.JPG

40. keeponshading

keeponshading

Me again.)

The RT preview in BuiltIn RP.
    BR.JPG

When you start RT preview in HDRP.
    The sky disappears and you get this green error (old one, i posted before).

Simply add an Sky Volume like on the screenshot to your scene and start RT preview to reproduce.

HDRP.JPG

The HDRP scene with RT preview closed.

HDRP2.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  41. AHFontaine

AHFontaine

Hi,
    So I'm stumped.
    I have a scene with only two lights : a skylight and a directlight.
    These two buildings, even though their UVs were generated in Unity, constantly have issues.
    We did 4-5 remodelling. Nada.

Everything else is fine.

I tried reducing the Lightmap scaling for these (0.5), tried to boost indirect intensity of the light itself, nothing.
    There are other buildings facing the same direction next to them and they are fine. That's why I'm wondering what else could be wrong.
    (Using RNM, v1.8, UV Padding, Optix 5, 30 texel, 1024 resolution (tried with 2k and 4k as well))

What else should I look into? Another. lower, direct light maybe?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit : I added another Directlight in the opposite direction and did a pass. Same result. So it's not something about the direction of the light or anything

Edit 2 : It was a UV issue. It now works. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  42. orville_redenbacher

orville_redenbacher

Any idea why occlusion probes don't seem to be baking? I have "Occlusion probes" checked, light probes distributed throughout the inside of the hangar, render mode set to shadowmask, and light probe mode set to L1. The sphere is a dynamic object and appears fully lit by my directional light. If I bake using the progressive baker, the sphere correctly appears darkened. Top is Bakery, bottom is Progressive.

upload_2020-11-28_0-34-42.png
    upload_2020-11-28_0-47-9.png

Edit: Issue was fixed by enabling "Unload scenes before render" option.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    guycalledfrank and SylvainChague like this.
  43. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

The issue is then dynamic objects will be lit, but wont cast shadows on their environments, looks a bit odd and floaty =-/

44. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Also i have a scene with several lightmapped prefabs, how can i make it so i only need to lightmap them once, and then the next time i bake, bake a single, new lightmapped prefab? from the look of it when i bake it bakes all my lightmapped prefabs again, increasing the render time, i have tried enabling and disabling the "enable Baking" boolean on the "Bakery Lightmapped Prefab" component

45. ModerateWinGuy

ModerateWinGuy

Has anyone had an issue with some lights just not emitting any light?
    In this room, I have a bunch of lights on the wall. They all have the exact same settings, they are a copied and moved object; but for some reason when I bake it, a few of them don't seem to emit any light?
    Screenshot shows the green ones are working, and the red ones not.

Attached Files:

46. newguy123

newguy123

Would be great if we can get a couple of video tutorials for Bakery, from beginner to more advanced.

Videos are much easier to follow and understand, than a text wiki

mbarbaric_2 and guycalledfrank like this.
  47. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello, I have an Intel 6700 w/ 16gb and a GTX 1060 w/6gb. Will that be enough performance to run Bakery? Would the real time preview also work?

Thanks!

48. Luvrael

Luvrael

@guycalledfrank
    I sent you a scene with my problem in a private message

49. Nyarlukhotep

Nyarlukhotep

Hello. Please tell me how to use Bakery correctly in my case: I want to use 2 directional light sources, one Baked without shadows, the second Mixed with shadows, but the bakery swears, writes "You need to mark some objects static or add Bakery Lightmap Group component to them" ... "On them" is for all objects that are illuminated by both sources, or what? How will this be organized correctly?

50. MrZeker

MrZeker

Hey i seem to be having a problem with your asset. When i bake the lights in a scene it goes perfectly, but when i bake the lights in another scene with literally the same lights and lighting settings it gets super white-burned ish with light.

Why could this happen? or how do i fix it?