Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

And that (this asset aside) is why I do not recommend, nor use, HDRP. When HDRP works, I'll use it. But every project I've brought it into, I have regretted, and not needed. Just sharing #HDRP hate :) I do think it is time to check it out "once more" but I check in on it every 3 months and each time it isn't really worth the effort just yet when standard optimization & display methods are more predictable and easier to follow.

2. ariessanchezsulit

ariessanchezsulit

Hi, so we've been using bakery for months now and it was indeed a very great tool. fast and efficient. also, I've noticed that the log files of Bakery is gradually eating my repository storage. is it safe to Bakery to ignore these log files?

Attached Files:

3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

OK, sorry for delay everyone! BUT

Today RTPreview is finally out!

Also store version of Bakery was updated to v1.71!
    Changelog:
    - Bakery now sets BAKERY_INCLUDED compiler define for the project
    - Using Checker Preview will now print used lightmap count to console.
    - Fixed detection of scene modifications.
    - Fixed scene export error when some scenes are present but unloaded.
    - Fixed Atlas Packer option not saving to default settings.
    - Fixed occasional "working directory has changed" error when using RTPreview and changing IES lights.
    - Fixed rare build error on some platforms due to unclamped occlusionMaskChannel value (thanks atomicjoe).
    - Fixed Bakery shader not using SH lightmaps if no normal map is set.
    - Fixed colored banding in very dark areas when using SH lightmaps.

-----

Oh yeah, you normally shouldn't do that. Cache is shared between scenes. If you baked scene A, then bake scene B, you'll need to export the scene for A again. But if it was "A" both times... then it shouldn't happen. Do you save the scene after first batch render?

Oh... I'm surprised no one noticed it before. Fixed: https://github.com/guycalledfrank/bakery-csharp/commit/7fb46df00581cfe981493577a8be340dc1205e88

Hmmm that alone seems to work for me.

Yeah, that sounds like a bug I fixed recently. Can you try updating to v1.71 (on the store since today) and see if it works properly now?

Probably xatlas is taking too long. Try setting Atlas Packer to Default.

?? maybe just some RAM leak in Unity ??

Oh hey, answered you on Discord today. Copying:
    >so testing it on 2019.3.4 I can't reproduce it - seems to work. Maybe something related to project settings or SRP (if you use any)? Do you have any script errors (not Bakery-related) in console?

Please be more specific. There is no guide, it should just work. Do example scenes (with materials upgraded to HDRP ones) work?

OK, judging by Discord you seem to get it fixed?

Yes. Sorry :) They are never cleared.

4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Add URP and that sums up pretty accurately what every seasoned Unity developer thinks about the whole SRP debacle.
    Meanwhile, I'm adding single pass lighting to the good old Forward Built-in renderer and the results are as fast as they will ever be with any other exotic render pipeline without all the problems. :cool:

guycalledfrank likes this.
  5. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yes I do. I save the scene before rendering anything with Bakery, that's the weird thing.
    Yeah, that's what I say to myself constantly... :confused:
    I guess it's the case, but good luck proving this to Unity Tech.
    It's related to the same issue as above.
    Rebooting Unity fixes it.

6. tangwilliam

tangwilliam

Hi,Our version is 1.65. And I get a problem for bringing the bakery into our workflow: I can not know when the baking finished, for in my code there is some other process to do after baking. Is there any callback for my code to catch ?

Or can I make your baking process synchronously by following code?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  ftRenderLightmap.instance.exeMode = false;
    2. ftRenderLightmap.instance.RenderButton();
    3. EditorApplication.update();

7. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

You can check this bool to know if Bakery is rendering:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ftRenderLightmap.bakeInProgress
    But this bool is only updated if Bakery is launched by the user using the bakery window or by code using:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ftRenderLightmap.instance.bakery.RenderButton()
    (there is actually other non-civilized ways to launch Bakery. Notably Autolight from the asset store launches the render without updating this bool)
    You can check Bakery's batch scene render script for more details.

8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The proper way would be to put your code inside an editor coroutine and yield until ftRenderLightmap.bakeInProgress is false:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                 while (ftRenderLightmap.bakeInProgress)
    2.                 {
    3.                     yield return null;
    4.                 }

9. tangwilliam

tangwilliam

Thanks! I will take a try.

10. bakoben

bakoben

Hi. I've just bought the Bakery and I have a big problem at android build settings the quality is really bad. Even after rebake... Here are some examples scenes (i want use it in unity 2019.3.7 but I tried it in 2019.1.10 with similar result):
    upload_2020-4-3_19-25-50.png
    upload_2020-4-3_19-27-6.png
    I bought this package because I wanted to save time on timelapse on a hackathon on this weekend... It would be nice if we can solve that problem as soon as possible :)
    thx

11. bakoben

bakoben

i wrote timelapse somehow instead of light baking sorry :D

12. bakoben

bakoben

Okay I solved it. Just I needed change the texture compression which is awfully bad on android by default.

13. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

On Android change the texture compression on the build configuration to ASTC.
    It takes longer to compress but it's way worth it!
    Also, don't change the lightmap compression type to any other thing than "low quality" in the lighting menu or it will glitch.

14. Monil

Monil

In a very dark scene even in desktop mode without compression and with high quality decoding I am not satisfied and I see bands everywhere.

15. MattForeman-PixelFarm

MattForeman-PixelFarm

Hi @guycalledfrank,

I'm having an issue where the baked light intensity is not matching the RT Preview. In my scene, I have a directional light and a sky light. The directional light (and bakery directional light) is set to 2.5 intensity, and it looks correct in the RT Preview. However when the light is baked, the result is much dimmer.

1. RT Preview:
    1.png

2. Baked:
    2.png

Do you know why this is happening and how it could be fixed? The shader that is being used is the "Standard (specular setup)" and it seems that cranking the intensity even higher than 2.5 has no effect - the scene has the same brightness baked in.

16. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That's the 8bit per channel RGB limitation of the display I guess.
    The lightmaps have more quality than that on desktop, using the postprocess stack should apply dithering automatically and fix this. (I speak about built-in render pipeline)

Monil likes this.
  17. Monil

Monil

Hi,

you're right, it depends on the display and the postprocess stack, this solves and now I no longer see the bands.

atomicjoe likes this.
  18. Aldin-Dynamics

Aldin-Dynamics

Hi! Bakery has been working very well for us:). But we've encountered an issue with version control. After baking and pushing lightmaps to GIT on one computer and pulling on another computer, the lightmap is full of issues (See screenshots). Any ideas what might be happening?

Attached Files:

porterdavishomes likes this.
  19. Firewalker

Firewalker

Hi Frank,
    One question:
    Is Bakery taking into account normal maps? if yes in which color space?

20. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Normal maps are handled exactly like the built-in lightmapper and in tangent space.
    You will have to use the baked normalmaps, directional or SH modes for them to be used.
    Check the manual.

21. StephenSchulze

StephenSchulze

Hey folks.
    Any idea what's going on here?
    Unity 2019.3.4f1, Bakery 1.71

Light render was working fine until I made a few extra objects static. Now There's stripes running through most of the lightmaps. There's evidently something going on with the lightmap UVs, but resetting the UV padding and deleting and re-rendering the lightmaps haven't achieved anything.
    All objects are using Unity's automatically generated lightmap UVs.
    upload_2020-4-7_11-21-13.png
    Checker looks like this:
    upload_2020-4-7_12-3-19.png

EDIT: Seems like switching to default atlasing has given me something workable. I guess there's something funky going on with Bakery's Xatlas packer. Default isn't ideal - Xatlas gives nicer results, so it'd be good to know a better fix or work around.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  22. Snweos

Snweos

Hey I'm loving Bakery and especially the Lightmap Prefab script which I use heavily. I do have a question though, I'm curious why the Lightmap Groups don't support LODs? And if there is any planned support for them in the future?

23. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yes. You can make lightmap groups. Read the manual.

24. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

Hi Frank
    I've noticed a buggish weird behavior
    I baked my scene with keeping some objects disabled then i added lightmap group selector component to disabled ones and baked them through "Render Selected Groups" method
    The thing that happens every time is it randomly mess some prebaked lightmaps of other object ! which gets solved by setting lightmap groups beforehand at the first place,but its so annoying for a continuing project.

25. drugges

drugges

Bakery looks amazing. I really hope you will add support for Radeon or Mac. in the future!

JamesArndt and guycalledfrank like this.
  26. zisaMan

zisaMan

Hello Frank and Everyone,
    I've a little question about LOD cross fade, i made a couple of changes in the Bakery Standard shader in order to achieve LOD crossfade.
    I'd like to know if i made a dirty changes or if there is a cleaner way.

in the file BakeryStandard.shader i put

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma multi_compile _ LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE only in the deferred pass
    and inside the Bakery.cginc, at the end of bakeryFragDeferred() i put

Code (CSharp):
    1. #ifdef LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE
    2.         UnityApplyDitherCrossFade(i.pos);
    3. #endif
    it works, but is it clean or there is a cleaner way?
    thank you.

27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Don't count on it: Bakery uses Nvidia's proprietary GPU render library OptiX.
    I don't think Nvidia will ever support its rivals hardware.

-EDIT: Unless Mr F uses another GPU render library for AMD, that is.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  28. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I don't think there can be a cleaner way than Unity's builtin macros for that.
    It works? then it's ok. ;)

29. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

Update :
    When baking Selected LightMapGroups, if any previously baked objects being disabled ,that object would lose its lightmap end up ruining other objects baked data too.
    Case : Environments having objects with multiple substitute ,impossible to maintain the Environment while baking alternative replacing objects

guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sorry for delay guys, I was sick.

BTW, I decided to create a separate bug tracker. You can add issues here, it will make it easier to keep track of them and have focused per-bug discussions: https://github.com/guycalledfrank/bakery-issues

I can't repro it by just trying to batch-render 2 scenes without "export geometry and maps". Test unitypackage would be much appreciated.

Don't do that. It's an internal variable nobody should change :D
    (There was once a plan to move some exe calls to a DLL, but it was never fully implemented and later abandoned. "exeMode" must be always true now; I will eventually delete any remains of this flag and non-exe branches).

Yes, atomicjoe's suggestion is correct, although you'll need 1.7 for bakeInProgress variable.

Yup!
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...id_project.2C_and_lightmaps_don.27t_look_good

If it's indeed very dark and you are using post-processing to boost brightness, it's expected, even PC BC6H compression does not provide infinite precision. It might be a good idea to bake with brighter lighting, then use post to darken it instead.
    But if you had this issue specifically with SH, I improved it in v1.71.

All I can suggest is here: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...2Fother_version_control_system_with_Bakery.3F

Read about directional modes: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Directional_mode
    "Baked normal maps" mode is the only one that literally takes them into account while baking, leaving them directly in lightmaps. They are assumed to be set up as normal maps in Unity and assigned as _BumpMap variable. Every other directional mode doesn't care about normal maps at the time of baking, instead solving the problem of capturing light direction/colors from different directions and later applying these to normal maps in shaders.

And did you rebake after it? Are many of these objects prefabs?

It's planned, yeah. The explanation would be too long to write and boring to read. Problem was finally solved for automatic atlasing (many LODs can go to single lightmap), it just needs some more coding and testing to make it work for groups.

Render Selected still kinda works like complete render by resetting and re-populating baked data. If objects are disabled, they are wiped out. I can try to fix it, but the way it works is generally clumsy/convoluted, so there were multiple times I was considering to remove it completely. Baking separate things in separate scenes works in a much more predictable manner.

If it works, it works! Doesn't look that dirty to me.

If AMD releases an OptiX-like (or DXR-like) API, I may take some time to port it. Currently there is only RadeonRays, which seems quite limited. I'm not even sure how is one supposed to implement alpha testing with it, given there is no GPU callback for triangle hits. Unity is probably using some highly customized version.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  31. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

Hope you be fine soon frank.
    At least could you tell me which components or scripts should i try to manipulate(i should hand it to my programmer friend) ,because this is a crucial need for my project, and hopefully i'm still prototyping & it may change my considerations.

32. Artificial_Illusions

Artificial_Illusions

Hello,
    I am using Bakery to have great looking static scenes in Virtual Reality, but sometimes after baking...it causes a frame rate drop and some distortion. I wanted to double-check if anyone else has had the same issue after baking their scene, and what was the fix? Thank You.

33. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That has never happened to me. Baking lightmaps makes the geometry render faster, not slower!
    You will have to be more specific and send some screenshots of the "distortion"

34. SmashedAvocado

SmashedAvocado

I just got the RT Preview extension and wanted to give some feedback (already left a review).

It's really great and works very well. Simple to setup and it makes it easy to spot errors with objects and certain lights. For me it helps me tweak the indirect lighting without needing to rebake. Definitely worth buying at this stage.

Couple of things I noticed:
    - Doesn't work with an isometric editor camera (I can live with this, but took me a few minutes to work out). I usually use the editor in iso mode.
    - Would be good to have the Ambient Occlusion support in the future as this is something I often want to tweak (I see it's listed on the limitations)
    - For exposure - should I just set this to what my post-processing color grading stack is using?

I also noticed that certain geometry doesn't seem to show up in the RT preview at all. These gameobjects are definitely marked static and do show up checkered in the check. They also bake on Unity's Progressive baker. They are usually smaller meshes, but not always. Now I'm wondering if there is some issue with my project? Any ideas?

35. Artificial_Illusions

Artificial_Illusions

Exactly, that's why I got the asset, and I've had success with making photorealistic scenes run smoothly on an Oculus Go. But, sometimes in the editor the VR frame rate drops, I wonder if its a shader issue or reflection probe issue...still trying to figure it out.

36. Steph_FR

Steph_FR

Hello , I have a problem with Bakery GPU Lightmapper 1.71 on unity 2018.4.20f1 project .
    I have been working with bakery since yesterday without problems but this afternoon at a time I had an error message and since that time I have the error message when i do "Render ligth probes":

ValidateScaleOffsetImmutability: scale/offset does not match
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ftBuildGraphics:ValidateScaleOffsetImmutability(ExportSceneData) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:2862)
    ftBuildGraphics:packAtlases(ExportSceneData) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4188)
    <ExportScene>d__199:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4691)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__252:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:4324)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3743)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:200)

after a new "Render" the error stray
    reinstalling bakery completely did not resolve the issue
    I've tried everything for hours, I have no more ideas
    Best regards, Stephane

37. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Try this:
    - go to the Unity menu -> Bakery -> Utilities -> Clear Baked Data (this will delete any bakery render config you have set and remove lightmaps from the scene)
    - go to the Window -> Rendering -> lighting settings -> click on the down arrow next to "generate lighting" -> Clear Baked data
    - delete the scene file "Assets/Bakery/_TempScene" and the folder "Assets/Bakery/_TempScene"
    - reboot Unity
    - try a new render with Bakery

38. Steph_FR

Steph_FR

Hello , thank you for your help
    I followed the procedure exactly but
    always the same error :(

39. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Try again but be sure to do everything above with the problematic scene open and be sure to save the scene after doing everything and before rebooting Unity.
    If that doesn't work, try closing Unity and delete the folder "Assets/Bakery/" and "Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/" in your project folder.
    Then reboot Unity and reinstall Bakery from the store.

40. Steph_FR

Steph_FR

:( sorry , no luck
    i think i will recreate everything

41. SmashedAvocado

SmashedAvocado

I found the solution to my issue which might seem obvious to some but is really really frustrating.

I had the Progressive GPU lightmapper option selected in Unity which disables the ability to turn shadows on/off?!? So a couple of the small objects had shadows off and I didn't realize and wasn't able to change it.

I simply changed the lighting option in Unity (which isn't being used anyway), set the shadows to enabled, and now it's baking correctly.

The RT Preview extension was really helpful here as it let me identify the problem and solve it :)

Attached Files:

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Feeling good already. Thanks!

Disabling objects and baking (even selected) will erase their data, there is nothing to manipulate. Separate scenes or at least Lightmapped Prefabs are the way to go, as they have separated storage.

Saw it. Thanks! :)

Ah yes... didn't think about it. I'm currently just supplying FOV from Unity to RTPreview, not using complete camera matrix. Will add isometric support in the future.

I can add that, but it will cost an additional ray per pixel. Although ray radius is limited, so shouldn't slow things down much.

Probably not. Unity's postprocessing exposure is measured in "steps", RTPreview one is just linear multiplier (which I find easier to use).
    When using "Render in scene view", your postprocessing will work over RTPreview image, BUT as this image is currently supplied already gamma-corrected and LDR, it won't look the same. I will improve this by sending linear HDR image to Unity.

Check:
    - Marked as Lightmapped static
    - Don't have EditorOnly tag
    - Cast Shadows is enabled (yeah, preview doesn't see non-casting meshes)

Oh wow I didn't know it does it!

a) Do what the window says (probes will be rendered together with lightmaps)
    b) Set light probe mode to Legacy and use this button

43. Steph_FR

Steph_FR

Hello thank you ,
    Ok , yes it work with light probe mode "Legacy"
    If I understood correctly, With light probe mode "L1", when I do "Render" no need to click on "Render ligth probes" ?
    I can stay like this, it will not create problems later?
    because i saw in manual
    Thank you very much for your help, best regards , Stephane

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes

Steph_FR likes this.
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've went full AMD with all workstations and we use AMD GPUs. A bummer to find I can't use Bakery anymore.

drugges likes this.
  46. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

47. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

One system with used nvidia1060 for $100 bugs and your back :)

atomicjoe likes this.
  48. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I agree, although I can attest an RTX will REALLY speed up things A LOT.
    I switched from a gtx1080 to an rtx2070 and it has nearly doubled the performance with bakery, even though the rtx2070 is technically worse for games.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  49. StenCG

StenCG

it seems that is not it.

So, any solution now for fix overshadow on LOD when using groups? Not using groups is not acceptable for obvious reasons, hundreds of objects on scene with such artifacts are also not acceptable. I am at a dead end and cannot continue to use this plugin for production.

50. corjn

corjn

Hey @guycalledfrank

Just bought "Bakery - Real time Preview"

It's working great on small scenes, but i'm having an issue with my main scene for my game. It's a medium/small open world (1KM cube) and my pc runs out of memory when I try to use Bakery preview on it.
    My pc has 16 go of ram.
    For now, I can run my scene if I delete most of my objects (so I will probably work that way, use a small portion of my scene for a preview before baking).
    Just a question : do you think I could have good results with 64gb of ram ? I'm considering that, because I often run out of memory, I feel like 16gb is a little short for game dev today.

Also having another issue : Bakery does not use my custom shader for my terrain (made with amplify, like everything in my game. Other objects with the same shader, just not terrain, are working with bakery). Instead, it uses the splatmaps of the terrain, so the GI looks very Green/Pink/Blue. Tried to uncheck "terrain optimization", but it's not working :/

And sometimes the preview runs for 1 second then quit. (It's very random, it can work 3 times, then never work again, and I tested this on your examples scenes)

I'm using unity 2019.3.7
    I have a GTX 1060

Thanks for your time and help