Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Stupid question: how do you download a SINGLE file from github, without downloading all the repo?
    I can see the script but I can't find a button to download it! xD

EDIT:
    Oh got it. You have to "save as" on the RAW button.
    What a weird way to go.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That worked, yes. Now it lets me render light probes only.

I have another bug for you:
    If you press "Render" and the press "Cancel", you get a Bakery error "RenderLightProbes error: lighting dataasset was not generated", you press "ok" and then it renders everything anyway even though you just canceled.

If you press the "Render Light Probes" button and then cancel, it's even better since it throws the same error but then it removes the lightmaps from the scene. (the actual lightmaps are not deleted)

3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

These problems likely existed before v1.7. Will investigate.

4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

BTW Legacy probes seem to work fine in 2019.3.4 when not using "occlusion probes" option.

Monil and atomicjoe like this.
  5. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Bakery v1.7 is LIVE.

Still waiting for RTPreview...

Final changelog (as tradition requires):

- Large amounts of point/cookie/cone/cubemap/IES lights are now baked much faster (Batch Point Lights option, enabled by default).
    - Added support for the upcoming interactive preview (RTPreview) plugin.
    - Added option to use xatlas for lightmap atlas packing (not unwrapping). Enabled by default.
    - Atlas packer can be chosen globally and for every Lightmap Group.
    - Added Hole Filling option when packing with xatlas, significantly improves atlas efficiency.
    - LODs don’t generate too many lightmaps anymore (Post-Packing option, enabled by default).
    - Added support for Terrain Holes (terrain optimization must be off).
    - Added Texture Projection option for Direct Lights.
    - Added BakeryPackAsSingleSquare component
    - Added better scripting API.
    - Optimized the scene export process.
    - Added support for URP 7.2.1.
    - Added support for HDRP 7.2.1.
    - L1 light probe mode is now default.
    - UV adjustment now works for 32-bit meshes on >= 2018.4.
    - Added validation for previously silently ignored problems, such as:
    • Unwrapper failing to re-unwrap models due to index overflow;
    • Trying to render without “export geometry” checkbox and different scene being cached;
    • Using Render Selected/Render Light Probes (L1) after scene geometry/layout changed.
    • Using Render with L1 light probe mode and having no light probes in the scene.
    - Replaced Adjust UV Padding checkbox with 3 options (don’t change UV, adjust UV, remove previous adjustments).
    - Baked Normal Maps mode now properly respects MikkTSpace.
    - Incorrect slashes in Output Path are now automatically fixed.
    - Legacy Denoiser is now supported in Network Baking.
    - Fixed baking blendshape-only skinned renderers without bones.
    - Fixed UI on 2019.3.
    - Fixed terrain GI on 2019.3.
    - Fixed some functions attempting to access Output Path before it is created.
    - Fixed Legacy Denoiser checkbox not being saved.
    - Fixed Lightmap Group Selector not properly saving values when applied to prefabs on >= 2018.3.
    - Fixed Legacy light probes sometimes not saving on new Unity versions.
    - Fixed Baked Normal Maps mode not working with skinned renderers.
    - Fixed “float overflow” error during scene export.
    - Fixed error when using area lights with width or height set to 0 (thanks Pierre Gac).
    - Fixed “Save padding to asset” function not working on newer Unity versions.
    - Fixed Lightmapped Prefab UI breaking after prefab sub-objects are deleted.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    fuzzy3d, CoastKid, Monil and 2 others like this.
  6. lolclol

lolclol

ME: Now what ?
    Fantastic Mr. F: Now we wait.

7. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    I tried to change shaders from Standard to BakeryStandard and everything turns black, if I deselect Non-linear Light Probe SH it goes back to normal .. what could it depend on?

8. keeponshading

keeponshading

To Unity Dev.
    Is time to remove the complete PLM and Lightning Asset mess from Unity. Please make this a packages in preview what it is and let the user decide to use it.
    So we don t have to waste hundreds on hours on this low quality and horrible implementation.
    Sorry.

Monil likes this.
  9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Your static object becomes dark because it doesn't have probes and this checkbox forces a probe-only mode.
    BTW, you don't need to rebake after changing material from Standard to Bakery.

10. sendspace

sendspace

hey guys, am wondering if there is a demo of this asset as i cant afford it , i want to try the new RTPreview
    thanks.

11. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

New Unity 2019.3.5f1 version breaks Bakery completely with and without RTX:
    ftraceRTX error: Can't load lightmap to compose. See ftracelog.txt for details (91)
    ftrace error: Can't load lightmap to compose. See ftracelog.txt for details (91)

on the log, the only error is:
    Can't read texture C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\frender\l

There is no "L" file in the temp folder. No wonder it can't find it.

I have tried to delete all the temp and scene folder, cleared both bakery and unity's baked data but same error.
    I have deleted bakery's folders, reimported from the store and updated from github.
    No luck.

12. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Somehow the scene got corrupted.
    I moved all the objects to a new scene and it's rendering now, but the render has bad lighting and I don't know why.
    I have tested the test scenes included with bakery and they're rendering fine, so must be something with my scene. (it's an oculus sample scene)

13. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The denoiser is acting weird again.
    This happens anytime I enable the denoiser (RTX on or off):

Repro project by PM

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Static objects do not use them even if they are there.

Can't repro on my machine, but I'm aware of this randomly happening for some people. Go to ftRenderLightmap.cs, find

const bool alternativeDenoiseDir = false;

Set it to true (can denoise direction maps a bit slower).

atomicjoe likes this.
  15. Monil

Monil

Hi guycalledfrank,

Now it works, and it eliminates negative values very well, now I'm waiting for RTPreview, it will be an essential tool, congratulations

16. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Works perfectly now!
    Shouldn't this be set by default? For compatibility's sake?

17. lolclol

lolclol

when the hell RTPreview gonna get approve ! I am starving.

atomicjoe likes this.
  18. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Probably yes. I was hoping to find the its cause without using the slower alternative approach, but...

I have the same question :(

19. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,

i get an

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>d__252.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:5768)
    3. ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3740)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    8. System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    9. System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    10. System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke (System.Object[] args) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    11. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    in
    Unity 2019.3.4f1, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day
    Unity 2019.3.5f1, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day
    Unity 2019.3.5f1, Bakery 1.70 + Git update from 15.03.2020, Sponza Day

after Bakery has finished bakeing it is locked in this dialog window.

lock.JPG

After killing Unity and reopening the project Bakery is completly reimported in all tests.

Some further testing.
    Ropening the project and bakeing example_lights and shadowmask scene is fine....
    Trying to rebake Sponza_Day leads then to this errors

rebak_sponzaJPG.JPG

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The only possible explanation I have is that you have some third-party scripts interfering with Bakery (otherwise everyone else would have it. sponza_day was tested on 2019.3.4f1 specifically). Can you test on a clean project?

21. keeponshading

keeponshading

I did clean projects
    two times in
    Unity 2019.3.5f1
    and
    one in
    Unity 2019.3.4f1.

I also had to remove standard installed TextMesh Pro package because some errors with Bakery ones.

22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

"GraphicsSettings.asset reimported twice"? I have no idea what this is. I think your project/Unity/harddrive/something might be corrupted.

23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

TextMesh is installed by default in my 2019.3.4 HDRP test project, so should be fine as well:

upload_2020-3-15_12-8-19.png

24. keeponshading

keeponshading

Because we got an absolut hardcore company AntiVir update last week with all kind of never expected side effects i switched to my private PC with an fresh
    Unity 2019.3.5f1 installation
    I created an new project and did an fresh Bakery 1.70 import.

Same error after bakeing SponzaDay. There is an lock here with this output

Bakery.PNG

After killing Unity and reopening the project again a complete reimport is done

Then

1.PNG

2.PNG

After an Clear i have to remove Standard TextMesh 2.0.1 Package to resolve remaining TextMesh errors.

I think it shoud be reproducable when you do the same.
    So.
    2 different PC´s.
    2 fresh Unity 2019.3.5f1
    and
    1 fresh Unity 2019.3.4f1
    with
    only Bakery 1.75 in an empty project.

example_light and example_shadowmask do fine.

25. keeponshading

keeponshading

I did an 6th testrun. Same behaviour like post before.

Then do a reboot of the project and removing TextMesh 2.0.1. Standard Package and you coud bake SponzaDay.
    Adding again TextMesh package leads to

3.JPG

Hope this helps.

Probably some kind of API updater issue (who could not to his job because of the TextMesh package issues) because when you do an empty project and you import Bakery

1.70 you get

5.JPG

After removing TextMesh Package it could to then the needed stuff.
    But only an idea.

26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Maybe a particularly broken Unity Hub version? For now I don't know anyone else who also had this issue. There is no relation between Bakery and TextMesh.

27. keeponshading

keeponshading

Think it is not as easy.)
    This could/should be the reason for the reimport after every start....

2.JPG

'Same issues like decribed before on these systems with different users on different PC´s.

User ME Company Win10 PC I
    Unity 2019.3.1f1, Hub 2.04, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day
    Unity 2019.3.4f1, Hub 2.04, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day
    Unity 2019.3.5f1, Hub 2.04, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day

User ME private Win 10 PC II
    Unity 2019.3.4f1, latest Hub, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day
    Unity 2019.3.5f1, latest Hub, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day

User Colleauge Company, WIN 10PC III
    Unity 2019.3.0f6, Hub 2.04, Bakery 1.70, Sponza Day

28. slakdevelopacc

slakdevelopacc

Hi, Bakery 1.6 and 1.7 is not working on iOS (iphone & ipad tested), but on Android all is fine, Unity 2019.2.17f1. With Unity Progressive (CPU) all is ok. During the launch of a scene containing lightmaps, an exception appear, which causes the game to crash. In the first case, when baking goes without Occlusion Probes - it's crashes in the ApplyAfterPassSet().
    123.png
    In the second case, if you add one light probe group and check Occlusion Probes - it's crashes in the ForwardRenderLoopJob().
    1234.png
    Settings:
    12345.png
    Please help, the release is coming soon and this problem just destroys plans, the development was mainly for android, and I unexpectedly there could be big problems on iOS, since transferring the project to the built-in lightmapper is a rather difficult task.

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Likely your iOS doesn't have enough memory for textures to load - try lower resolution.
    This is not my code - I didn't write Unity's forward renderer. Please also report the crash to them. Lightmaps are just regular textures.

30. BiSH98

BiSH98

UV Padding Asset Issue

After updating to Bakery v1.7, the padding asset now have a script and able to see the data even after restarting
    upload_2020-3-16_16-46-26.png

But there is another issue which is after deleting the Library Folder (To replicate a fresh pulled project), Unity reimport everything and the model still seems to have the wrong UV padding. After reading the console I saw this:
    upload_2020-3-16_16-56-41.png

Bakery: processing auto-unwrapped asset Assets/Curtain.fbx

But looking at the code

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (saved != null)
    2.             {
    3.                 Debug.Log("Bakery: processing auto-unwrapped asset (saved UV padding) " + assetPath);
    4.             }
    5.             else
    6.             {
    7.                 Debug.Log("Bakery: processing auto-unwrapped asset " + assetPath);
    8.             }
    Shouldn't I be getting "Bakery: processing auto-unwrapped asset (saved UV padding) "?

I think this could be an issue of ftGlobalStorage.asset have not been imported before the models have, therefore the model will treat it as it has not got any UV padding asset and use auto-unwrap

31. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Any idea why "XRSettings" are not loaded? I don't even know what this file is and what is its purpose. There must be no relation between it and Bakery.

More guessing:
    - Broken/bugged package manager?
    - Weird version control system issue?

I assume the file is in fact exactly where it says? You have the project settings folder and the asset and the asset is not corrupted?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Very likely - does it find the padding file if you right click -> reimport?

33. BiSH98

BiSH98

Reimport the model or the padding file?

34. BiSH98

BiSH98

Yeah, it seems like it does work if I reimport the model after its opened
    upload_2020-3-16_17-11-55.png

35. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So yeah sounds like model is loaded before the asset is. I'm not sure if there is any way to control this order o_O Maybe they weren't the best idea.

36. BiSH98

BiSH98

Are there ways to ensure that ftGlobalStorage.asset get loaded in first or the unwrapping doesn't start till the end of the load? If not, are there any other ways you would suggest ensure the UV won't be changed across PC?

37. slakdevelopacc

slakdevelopacc

I already tried to make a resolution of seven lightmaps in 64 * 64. But that does not help. On ipad, I have 2 GB of RAM. And I understand that this is not your code, but the error directly depends on whether lightmaps were baked with the help of Bakery. Maybe there are any metadata files that affect the occurrence of an error? Because progressive lightmapper does not generate an error. In addition, the type of error depends on the occlusion probes settings, the data about which is stored in a separate file (LightningData?) which does not occur if baking goes without occlusion probes with Bakery, but in the case of a built-in lightmapper it is created, and it is possible that Unity use it on iOS for something. Have you tested projects on iOS with similar settings? And if I send a report to the support of Unity, what can they say? Everything works fine with their lightmapper, they will say send a report to the asset developer.

38. slakdevelopacc

slakdevelopacc

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I am not aware of such a way.

The most reliable way is to pre-unwrap models outside of Unity or just not use "Adjust UV padding" (it won't look worse than Progressive).

Occlusion probes are baked via Progressive, because there is no other way. Unity does not allow setting occlusion probe data (I'm complaining for a year already). Lighting data assets are a black box mess. I can only swap light probe color data. Unfortunately I don't have more information, can't build on iOS and don't have Unity source code to diagnoze it. You can try baking light probes completely via Progressive, copying lighting data asset somewhere, then baking lightmaps with Bakery and swapping previous asset back.

Hard runtime crashes in renderer code must be not caused by lightprobes/lightmaps, even if they are external. This is a Unity bug. I cannot debug it.
    Maybe it's specific to a particular Unity version, since there were many iOS releases before.

Are there any light probes in the scene at all?

Also, did you try changing light probe mode? Maybe only one has a problem?

40. slakdevelopacc

slakdevelopacc

Generally. I do not need light pobes. Objects are illuminated only from a directional light source in the game. Initially, they were not on the scene when the crash appeared. When I saw on the line in the XCode a line about occlusion probes (ProbeOcclusionCache.cpp), I decided to add a group of light probes (no one light probe, but a light probe group, and they work fine in the editor), and see what happens. And there was a crash in another place, where if you look, the file "SharedLightData.h" is involved. I tried both modes Legacy and L1. But what difference does it make if an error occurs already at the stage of switched Off Occlusion Probes?

I tried to bake without probes through Progressive, and it generates LightningData that weighed 78 kb. After that i baked through Bakery without probes, but it did not even change LightningData and this data remained assigned in the window Lightning. I don’t know, can this theoretically fix a bug? but I think not.

41. BiSH98

BiSH98

With pre-unwrap models, you mean the model just been UV unwrapped or is there another lightmap UV that need creating?

And when you say not use "Adjust UV padding", is that mean just use unity default generated lightmap? So under bakery tab, should I choose "Remove UV adjustments" when baking?

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes, it shouldn't. That's the plan. Bakery does not need the asset for lightmaps - only for probes. This allows you to combine built-in probes with Bakery lightmaps.

Yeah. Usually it's just about automatically generating them with desired padding values.

?No? I guess you mean UV.

Yes.

43. mgear

mgear

is there a way to hide or disable the progress dialog? (its locked on top of all applications.. cannot minize)

happens while testing some nonuv mapped model, with xatlas selected
    upload_2020-3-17_10-44-0.png

atomicjoe likes this.
  44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It's kinda frozen during scene export/adjustment - I will improve this (sorry). After it starts rendering, you can minimize it.

mgear and atomicjoe like this.
  45. keeponshading

keeponshading

I have no ideas anymore.
    Could probalbly anyone try to bake Sponza Day in an Unity 2019.3.x with Bakery 1.7.0?
    If sucess i will shut up.) and i will format c:)
    Tried on 4 different PC´s now with 2 different users.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  46. slakdevelopacc

slakdevelopacc

Hi, I finally fixed the error. This problem appears only on iOS && only if Bakery are used && if there are objects with material where GPU Instancing enabled. When you turn off GPU Instancing or bake it with the built-in lightmapper, the error disappears and everything works well. Naturally, the built-in lightmapper is not as good as the Bakery, so the build will be without GPU Instancing. All this is really very strange and I can not find this explanation. I do not know if this will give you food for thought, but I think I should notify you.

guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  47. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Frank, I found a big bad bug that crashes my builds because of Bakery on the Oculus Quest and Unity 2019.3.5f1:
    After using bakery to bake the scene, the directional light gets somehow corrupted and crashes the app on the Oculus Quest but only on Unity 2019.3.5f1 + IL2CPP + ARM64 builds
    On earlier unity versions it's ok, using mono it's ok, using IL2CPP + ARMv7 (32bits) it's ok, but using IL2CPP + ARM64 + unity 2019.3.5f1 + Bakery = builds correctly but crashes when loading the scene on device.

48. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I know it's because of the directional light because if I disable it before building, it doesn't crash.
    But I have been debugging this for nearly two days now and I just found out what the problem is, so more details should come.

49. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

After using bakery, every light that's enabled in the scene will cause the crash until you either disable them or use the "bakery/ utilities/ clear baked data"
    I have a repro project for this, but if you don't have an Oculus Quest, you will not be able to test it.
    It may happen on other Android devices though. (as the Quest is just a fancy smartphone + vr googles)

EDIT: tested with the latest updates from your github repo

50. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Ok, the crash only happens when I set Bakery to render using the "subtractive" mode.
    Other render modes are ok.

Rendering using the substractive mode with unity's lightmapper works fine, it's only crashing with bakery.
    The way (or the time) bakery is setting the lights to "substractive" mode is crashing unity on ARM64.

This is a big deal for mobile devs: we can't use shadow masks nor full dynamic lighting because it's too expensive for mobile hardware, so substractive mode is the cheapest and only viable way to do dynamic lighting with shadows.