Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Rendering L1 probes requires first rendering the lightmaps for this scene.

2. kavvkka

kavvkka

Hi, thanks for great tool! Everything works fine, but: when I render my scene, it always renders some SampleScene_LMA..., even though I didn't import them and have them nowhere in my assets. It seems to reduce the render time by rendering scenes I don't need. Can you help me? Thanks in advance!

3. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Hi.

I'm having an issue with some strange shadow artifacts.

On the left, shadows are normal. On the right, shadows are solid black, and the cliffs have lost all lighting.

All the meshes have generated lightmap uvs. I have tried reimporting the assets from the project window.

My bake settings are:
    - Indirect
    - None directional
    - 12 texels
    - 512 res
    - 1.5 ao intensity, 1 ao radius, 16 ao samples
    - 2048 tile size

newguy123 likes this.
  4. Ermask

Ermask

Format the computer was the solution. Funny thing is that everything was perfect but the render. Well, at least i can work again. Thanks for your help.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  5. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

"_LM" and "_LMA" are just generic lightmap names Bakery splits your scene into. One scene may contain multiple lightmaps. Is your scene named "SampleScene"? If not, that would be weird.

I'm 95% certain right cliffs don't have correct lightmapping UVs.
    You can use this shader to visualize lightmap UVs and their overlaps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pHALcYdEKkU9uZxzyZchO13YfClYCogV

6. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Yep that was it. Turns out that particular cliff mesh wasn't using generated uvs. I must have missed that one.

7. cbboyer

cbboyer

Hi Frank, first time poster but longtime Bakery user and lurker in this thread - from all of us, thanks for your tireless support, it's crazy how responsive you are on here.

I'm hoping you can answer a question for me about HDRI skyboxes and the Bakery Skylight asset. I'm using an 8K HDRI skybox, a nice sunset. I've double checked all my settings for that HDRI texture. I apply the texture to the Bakery Skylight, max out the samples to 64, and bake - I don't have a directional light enabled, hoping to get all my light from the skybox if possible.

I'm getting mixed results - some parts of the scene look insanely good. But the places hit with the direct rays from the sunset, there's a ton of noise, orange splotches. See images at this link. Directional light bakes fine.

I've maxed the skybox sample count - the overall lightmap resolution is still low for testing - anything else to try? Look forward to any thoughts, or workarounds for using skyboxes for 100% of the scene light. Thanks!

keeponshading, Ony and guycalledfrank like this.
  8. Cascho01

Cascho01

RIGHT!

To achieve a consistant lighting I tried to avoid unity lights and get all the lighting from the hdr, too.
    I´m not an expert on this, these are just my expierences:

- forget the idea to get sharp/smooth shadows from a hdri with a sun
    - use a direct light for the sun instead (avoids bright baked splotches)
    - for baking use a lowres version of your hdri (eg 512x512, calculates much faster)
    - some hdri images do work much better than others (maybe because of some un/clamped brightness range?)
    - use *.exr instead of *.hdr

@guycalledfrank please correct me here

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Hi Frank, me again with some more artifacts...

The trees shown below are the same meshes in both levels. I baked them on my PC and pushed them to git, then pulled them on my mac. Originally, the first level looked fine - no artifacts. But after baking the second level, the first level had artifacts, and then the second level looked good.

I've tried reimporting the models and I've double checked that they are baking lighting data to separate directories - not overwriting files.

EDIT: turns out it's not a github thing, the issue also occurs on my windows machine.

Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    keeponshading likes this.
  10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Cascho01 advice is good, except it doesn't matter if you use exr or hdr.
    Let me explain it a bit further:
    Your HDRI is 8192x4096. That translates rougly to a 1024x1024 (per face) cubemap, or 1024*1024*6 = 6291456 unique points. Even if you're using 128 samples for Skylight, it will internally convert to 128*128=16384 randomly distributed unique texture reads, which is not quite sufficient, so there is a high chance of rays missing the sun completely.
    Instead, I recommend using a blurry/lowres sky texture and represent sun as a directional light. This will additionally allow you to have shadowmasks/mixed dynamic shadows/direct specular/etc. Unity has a nice article about working with HDRIs: https://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2016-shading-course/unity/s2016_pbs_unity_hdri.pdf
    One interesting bit they mention is to remove sun from the HDRI, so you don't light by it twice:
    upload_2019-7-3_11-27-22.png
    Ah yeah, it's a known problem with multiple solutions: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._in_one_scene_breaks_its_UVs_in_another_scene

fuzzy3d and Mark_01 like this.
  11. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

"Split by scene" is only useful when you bake multiple scenes at once, in which case it makes sure objects from different scenes never end up in a single atlas. Probably a coincidence in your case.

13. feranti

feranti

Hi Frank,
    I'm sure you have been asked that question a million times but I can't find it in the thread.
    Is it possible to run the baking at runtime (considering we "pause" the application while baking or run another instance of unity for computing the lightmaps) ?
    Is it even considered further down the road ?

14. feranti

feranti

I will rephrase because there is several questions in one in my last post :
    The goal is to generate a nice lighting out of a geometry that will be created in runtime.

Once the geometry is done, can we:
    • run a baking of the scene (that will not persist the application lifetime)?
    • bake lightmaps at runtime in a file (maps, uv packing, etc) and reload lightmaps from this file in another run of the application?
    Thanks in advance

PS: We know the target PC for sure so we can ensure the requirements (NVidia + x64 Windows)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not easiliy, because of many UnityEditor dependencies. You can't import/convert assets at runtime; There are no StaticFlags on GameObjects (if I'm not mistaken); Batched static geometry is rebuilt and doesn't match original meshes anymore; etc.

Not really, because that would impose limits on player devices. Currently Bakery requires Windows/Nvidia, which is an okay-ish requirement for a developer machine, but not for the player. So I'm not sure if it would be too useful.

That's cool, but I don't think it's a common case.

There is a way though. You can use standalone non-Unity version of Bakery (as DLL) at runtime and manage scene exporting and asset importing yourself. In fact I'm finishing the API right now, currently it looks like that:

upload_2019-7-5_11-22-56.png

16. fzr6

fzr6

Hi Frank,
    I have a problem with one of my scenes when I try to bake a lightmap. I got 3 error messages and then a crash.

screenBakeryError.png
    screenBakeryError2.png screenBakeryError3.png

I'm on Unity 2018.4.3, with Bakery 1.6.

On this scene, I have a Unity terrain and many other assets shared with other scenes which work fine.

I tried with many different parameters but the result is still the same.

17. keeponshading

keeponshading

Here are some, all with and without sun.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/beta-projects/unity-hdri-pack-72511
    Thanks for the read. There are some questions rising.

Do you think multiple importance sampling is possible with Bakery some day?
    And what is your recommendation for outside areas.
    IBL with sun and Directional L.
    or
    IBL without sun and Directional L

I have lots od hybrid scenes. Means car interiors baked with ibl in blender cycles with multiple importance.
    Just try to find out what is the closest Bakery setup to bake exterieur and environment for mixed scenes with same ibl.

Would be cool when you can explain little more ibl sky details.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  18. lolclol

lolclol

Bakery now have realtime light support ?

19. Garret2727

Garret2727

Getting an error when trying to Render.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4349)

Also pop message says Null tex ptr.

Not sure what happened lol'

20. Garret2727

Garret2727

I ported the scene to a new project and that seemed to work. But still weird.

21. ResideSin

ResideSin

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Object.get_name () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:198)
    ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:3676)

If trying to render, unity 2018.4.0f1

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Do example scenes work? It seems to me that you went out of memory during scene exporting. Maybe try some of these tips: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p..._get_an_.E2.80.9COut_of_memory.E2.80.9D_error

Note if you have the same problem even with example scenes, then the problem is different (Unity using wrong GAPI?...), so check.

Yeah, that was the plan, but I was surprised to get decent results even without it. But, yeah... decent if the HDRI is relatively uniform.

This.

Not sure about a special setup. You can possibly add cars to a separate LMGroup and use bitmask to light them with a separate Skylight using more samples.

Will have to add Light portals + MIS soon it seems.

Huh?

Which version are you using? I'm pretty sure I replaced "null tex ptr" with a more descriptive message in 1.5 or something.

Seems related to this. I was unable to reproduce it so far, and the exact reason is unknown. If you have any simple scene that throws this error, please share.
    A quick solution seems to be to enable Terrain Optimization in advanced settings.

23. ResideSin

ResideSin

This sadly didn't help for me.. tried it yesterday.. throws the same error.

Fix for me was.. to untick Terrain - Static - Off ..

No idea.. why it was enabled at the first place..

24. kanu0009

kanu0009

Hi frank,

I was looking into it and wanted to ask the same question

"Is it possible with bakery to have Day and night support for multiple "lightmap profiles" for a single scene - for instance, day and night - and be able to switch between them at runtime without reloading the entire scene?"

Is it possible yet with current bakery or would you be able to guide if there's any other approach to do it to have day and night lighting and switch them at runtime using bakery baked lightmaps?

Thank you

25. PF-Sebastien

PF-Sebastien

Hello Franck !

I don't undestand the behaviour I encounter ... My scene has big texels when I viewed it with the checker preview... But I use the same parameters that AVP used...
    Each object is independent and is well constituted of its own mesh

Can you enlighten me ? ;)

Thanks

Bakery_Big_Texels.png

26. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hey Frank :) Looking forward to using this! Looks really cool.

I keep getting this when I click on the render lightmaps button:

DllNotFoundException: simpleProgressBar
    ftRenderLightmap.ProgressBarEnd (System.Boolean freeAreas) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:855)

I saw someone else with the same error on here, but didn't find the solution. The file RenderLightmaps.cs is there in the Editor/x64/script folder and when I open it up, it looks fine.

What is strange, is if I click on Import again in the asset store window, all files are "unchecked," because they are already in the project except for RenderLightmaps.cs. I have tried a couple of times to reimport, but no luck.

This is happening with my project and sample scenes.

Any thoughts?

27. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm, terrain should be static to get baked. But at least it's clear the problem is terrain-related.
    Can you reproduce the problem on an empty scene with JUST the terrain? If so... PM me, I might have a few ideas to try, and hopefully that'll be fixed forever.

Currently there is no built-in option for that, but it's not too hard to script it: just save these values after the bake and then restore them:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/LightmapSettings-lightmaps.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Renderer-lightmapIndex.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Renderer-lightmapScaleOffset.html
    Also use different output folder for every bake, so files are not overwritten.

Similar thing can be done with light probes, and brilliant ECone just submitted a script for that recently: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#Light_Probe_Storage

Perhaps your scene is very small? Unity is optimized for 1 unit = 1 meter, and that's the case for AVP.

Are you on Windows? Do you have x64 Unity version?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  28. _Xav_

_Xav_

Hi Guys,
    This is my first post on the unity forum, and that's for Bakery : happy to see how responsive you are!

Well, I have some crashes when bakery starts the denoiser (see screenshots).
    In console log, I have "Unknown error (-1073741819)". As I read "old driver?" in the next debug.log, I updated it from NVidia but it still crashes.
    I have that error on my own scenes, and I have it on the example scene too : example_sponza_day. I'm using :
    • Windows 7 SP1
    • Unity 2018.1.6f1
    • Graphic Cards : Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
    • Nvidia driver (one of the latest) : 430.86
    • Bakery 1.6
    Did somebody already see this message? Are there specific settings to check on NVidia Driver ?

@guycalledfrank : as everybody told you, you are doing a super asset. I have done lots of baking with my custom pipeline using 3DSmax and VRay, but I have to say that Bakery is very impressive! I'm seriously thinking about using bakery in replacement! Even if I did not tested it a lot, I'm quite confident in such a tool. Continue like that.
    I really like the availability to bake parts in several states (show/hide some doors to see inside cabinets) thanks to SelectGroups.

What could be useful :
    - cluster rendering on several PCs without unityEditor installed. As I can see in experimental mode, you made a first step with one PC (not tested yet but very soon).
    - Render selected elements only (I mean Selection in Unity, not Select Groups).
    - Having a userfriendly way to put LightMaps into predabs and AssetBundles (I know that you are aware about it).

Attached Files:

29. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

-Are you on Windows? Do you have x64 Unity version?

Running a 2017 MacBook Pro, the latest version of Mojave (10.14.5) and Unity 2019.1.8f1

It does ask me to update scripts when I import, not sure if that matters.

Darn - just seeing the specs. I have not run into problems developing on a Mac before. ANy plans to support it?

30. E-Cone

E-Cone

For my own purposes, I created a lightmap swapper and lightprobe storage.
    So if you divide your scenes into lightmap groups using Bakery Lightmap Group Selector, you'll be able to swap lightmaps and lightprobes at runtime like this:

haleler51, m4d, keeponshading and 3 others like this.
  31. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That's very odd. Your system specs look great. Do you by, any chance, have multiple GPUs installed?
    Can you try running it with the attached version? It will print a bit more stuff to the log (Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/.denoiserlog.txt), it'd be interesting to read it.

Whoops. I hoped system requirements were visible/clear enough. Mac support is not planned so far. I can give you a refund.

Nice! Updated:
    https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...ions#Lightmap_Swapper_.26_Light_Probe_Storage

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  32. _Xav_

_Xav_

Here it is. Globally, it repeats :
    Error (-1): Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtCommandListExecute" caught exception: Failed to launch DLDenoiser post-processing stage. DLDenoiser run method failed with error -27.)

Attached Files:

33. Karan90

Karan90

Great. Ill give it a try. I don't do scripting so is there anywhere I can look for the script someplace that can help with it.

34. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Documents were clear - just super busy. I am buying a PC in part to get this going. If this card is not compatible, let me know: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory.

Thanks for the great work. Really looking forward to using this!

35. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,
    i did some fast tests today and used same 4K and 8k HDRI in Blender Cycles and Bakery. By lowering samples and bounces in cycles compareable to Bakery and by disabling multiple importance and clamp i get same fireflies. When i run D-Noise (Optix, too) over the result they have even similar form and size.

Screenshot_20190711-230703.png

Here are some visuals around 100 samples before and after enabling multiple importance and some clamp for direct and inderect.

https://www.hyperfocaldesign.com/tutorials/blender-hdri-tutorial-cycles/

Meantime MIS is on per default in Blender Cycles.
    MIS Map size from 2k and 4k works great there.

For my use it would be perfect to to use same HDR without sampling them down too.

But i think even when you integrate MIS there could be a need for much more samples like we use today in bakery. Not sure. I am not friend from clamping but this will help enourmous in the shots from the post before.

However. Could be high quality mode who s more physical correct.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    fuzzy3d and guycalledfrank like this.
  36. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Hi,

I have 45 warnings and those 3 errors when importing your asset :

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(2191,55): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(2195,58): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.PathTracer' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU'

Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\scripts\ftRenderLightmap.cs(3704,55): error CS0619: 'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete: 'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

Using Unity 2019.1.5f1 hdrp.
    This seems pretty easy to fix. But as a non-programmer, I think that I can't do it myself, unless you explain it step by step.

37. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Weird. Nvidia docs/forums aren't very clear on that error, but it seems to be some general driver fault or incompatibility. Anyway, I rebuilt the denoiser using a newer version of OptiX, so maybe try that. Sent you a private message.

The card is good. Thanks for still giving it a try :D

Yeah, clamping is cheating and it won't give you proper contast. Will work on MIS.

Yup, it was recently discovered to be a Unity Hub bug: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-6-released.536008/page-63#post-4668227

38. keeponshading

keeponshading

Skip reading.
    latest version under
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-6-released.536008/page-65#post-4763765

Because of Bakery it is finally possible to do Lightmap Benchmarks without getting old.
    Thank you.
    Here a fast 10 hour Benchmark with some nice results.

Done with an real world Archviz scenario from ruggero
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/archvizpro-interior-vol-6-120489

version ArchVizPRO_Interior_Vol.6_HDRP_v.5
    in
    Unity 2019.1.0f2
    with
    Bakery 1.6
    HDRP

Bakery_result_sh_2xGTX1080.JPG

with these real world standard scene settings.
    Only toggled RTX on\off

Bakery_settings_2xGTX1080.JPG

resulting in
    16 x 4K (703MB)
    high quality lightmaps.
    Only the areas under table and couch could get more light?

Bakery_result_2xGTX1080.JPG

Bakery_result_03_2xGTX1080.JPG

Bakery_result_02_sh_2xGTX1080.JPG

with some surprises.
    After ever run i

- did an reboot
    - cleaned Bakery cache folder
    - removed lighting calculaltion
    - and created an new scene

for Multi/Single GPU
    - removed second card physically when possible

some results

2x GeForce GTX 1080
    Driver 425.31

1st 00h53m45s
    2nd 00h51m12s
    3nd 00h52m17s

1x GeForce GTX 1080
    Driver 425.31
    no sucess, because Laptop with 2x Desktop GTX 1080 cards.
    After disabling in system console no chance to do the test.

2x Titan RTX
    Driver 430.64
    NV Link

RTX mode off
    1st 00h55m40s
    2nd 00h53m56s

RTX mode on
    1st 00h41m49s
    2nd 00h43m14s

1x Titan RTX (second physically removed)

RTX mode off
    1st 00h54m47s
    2nd 00h55m12s

RTX mode on
    1st 00h34m18s
    1st 00h32m07s

So, there are no benefits through Multi GPU. It even slows down when RTX mode on.
    With RTX Mode off 1xTitan RTX is as fast like the 2x GTX 1080 setup.
    1x Titan RTX with RTX Mode on is the fastest one.

00h32m07s for this complexity and quality should be
    world record.

There is no need for latest marketing cards..)

Only if you... bake multi light scenarios like...

I would really like to bake an day night cycle
    with 48 steps a 00h32m07s and switch these calculated lightmaps and probes with the scripts from E-Cone.
    So you could bake an day night cycle with 48 steps in one day with one Titan RTX.

48 x 703MB Lightmaps.) in project. Who cares.)
    Think by saving them in some granite 64k virtual texture sets it could be really fast to switch these too.

to do...
    testruns
    2x Quadro RTX 6000
    1x Quadro RTX 6000
    I don t expect anything faster here. More 10% less than Titan X RTX for more than double price.
    However they have 24GB Ram each. Let s see.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  39. keeponshading

keeponshading

Did you haved already the chance to Benchmark Optix Denoiser vs Intel OIDN.
    Here a fast tests in Blender Cycles and it works great for low 16 samples and direct / indirect diffuse lightmaps.
    However it s OpenSource and could remove some dependencies.

Blender ECylces( Cuda optimized Cycles version)
    MIS IBL
    Hole in Cube
    16samples
    15s
    Screenshot_20190713-171201.png

Screenshot_20190713-171149.png

OIDN Denoised
    Screenshot_20190713-171133.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    guycalledfrank and garyhaus like this.
  40. BrainchildArt

BrainchildArt

Do you have any "trial" or "demo" versions? I don't want to pirate it because I want to support good devs but I also don't want to waste my money if it won't work the way I want it, or if I just won't like it.

41. Mandelboxed

Mandelboxed

Hi. Bakery is not working properly for one object in my scene. After lightmapping, several faces are completely black. I have tried generating lightmap UVs with a variety of different settings without success. Everything else in the scene is working well.

upload_2019-7-13_16-32-16.png

upload_2019-7-13_16-33-8.png

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Great tests, thanks! I'm really surprised two Titans work slower than one. Probably has to do something with shared memory access.

Didn't try it yet, but shouldn't be a problem to add. Wondering how it'll compare in performance. Results look great!

Not at the moment. I'm not sure how it should differ from the full version. You can get the full one and ask for a refund if it's not for you.

Interesting. Does this object behave the same way in an empty scene? Since you checked UVs, perhaps the problem is related to (unset?) vertex normals? You can send the model to me for debugging.

43. Mandelboxed

Mandelboxed

It does behave the same way in an empty scene. I suppose it could be an issue with the normals but it has the same problem if I change the import settings to calculate normals. Admittedly the mesh was not created by me and my expertise in modelling is limited. I've sent the mesh, thanks for your help!

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks! Just checked the model. So the problem is not related to neither UVs nor normals, but happens because of interior/exterior faces are occluding each other (!)

Your inner wall is in front of your outer wall:

upload_2019-7-16_12-5-46.png

upload_2019-7-16_12-6-0.png

upload_2019-7-16_12-6-6.png

upload_2019-7-16_12-10-21.png

And because Bakery considers back faces as opaque, it's like there is a narrow unlit space between your walls. Solution: move inner walls inside.
    Same goes for roof, flag, etc.

upload_2019-7-16_12-6-16.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  45. Mandelboxed

Mandelboxed

Working perfectly now with your help, you're awesome, thank you!

46. edsludden

edsludden

I've been baking with Bakery this afternoon and I find that things are working well. Just one issue has cropped up - I can't see the effect of the Bakery lights in my Scene/Game view.

I start a new Scene, create a floor cube, add a Bakery point light, and it has no effect on the cube (Or any Geometry). I have to bake/render to see the effect of that light. I have cleared any baked data. I've tested all the Bakery light types, and none of them seem to be active in the Scene - but work perfectly well in Baking.

I am using Unity version 2019.1.1f1 with HDRP.

I would be very grateful for some advice.

EDIT: If I create a Unity light and just add the Bakery script to the light, it all works fine, so my issue was that I was trying to create a Bakery light from the drop down Bakery menu.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  47. keeponshading

keeponshading

Skip here. latest final version under
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-6-released.536008/page-65#post-4763765

Because of Bakery it is finally possible to do Lightmap Benchmarks without getting old.
    Thank you.
    Here a fast 10 hour Benchmark with some nice results.

Done with an real world Archviz scenario from ruggero
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/archvizpro-interior-vol-6-120489

version ArchVizPRO_Interior_Vol.6_HDRP_v.5
    in
    Unity 2019.1.0f2
    with
    Bakery 1.6
    HDRP

View attachment 449537

with these real world standard scene settings.
    Only toggled RTX on\off

View attachment 449543

resulting in
    16 x 4K (703MB)
    high quality lightmaps.
    Only the areas under table and couch could get more light?

View attachment 449546

View attachment 449549

View attachment 449564

with some surprises.
    After ever run i

- did an reboot
    - cleaned Bakery cache folder
    - removed lighting calculaltion
    - and created an new scene

for Multi/Single GPU
    - removed second card physically when possible

some results

2x GeForce GTX 1080
    Driver 425.31
    SLI enabled

1st 00h53m45s
    2nd 00h51m12s
    3nd 00h52m17s

2x GeForce GTX 1080 (v2)
    Driver 425.31
    SLI disabled

1st 00h52min20s
    2nd 00h53m18s

!On some Cuda Raytracers there is only a speedup when SLI disabled. Not here.

1x GeForce GTX 1080
    Driver 425.31
    no sucess, because Laptop with 2x Desktop GTX 1080 cards.
    After disabling in system console no chance to do the test.

2x Titan RTX
    Driver 430.64
    NV Link

RTX mode off
    1st 00h55m40s
    2nd 00h53m56s

RTX mode on
    1st 00h41m49s
    2nd 00h43m14s

2x Titan RTX (v2)
    Driver 430.64
    NV Link bridge removed

RTX mode off
    1st 00h34m20s

RTX mode on
    1nd 00h33m18s

2xTitan_NVLINKOFF_srendering.JPG

Both cards render now when NV Link Bridge is reomved.
    There is no slowdown compared to 2x Titan RTX with NV Link anymore.
    However. As fast as 1x Titan RTX. See nice spiking on both GPU´s.

A fast solution to get double speed could be similar thing i do in Blender.
    If 2x GPU in system open 2 instances
    one with
    C.user_preferences.system.compute_device = 'CUDA_0'
    C.scene.render.use_overwrite = False
    C.scene.render.use_placeholder = True

and one with
    C.user_preferences.system.compute_device = 'CUDA_1'
    C.scene.render.use_overwrite = False
    C.scene.render.use_placeholder = True

Then one instance renders full on GPU 1 and the second full on GPU 2.
    Both instances write a placeholder per render and see when placeholder is writen that it must jump to the next. When job done placeholder is removed.

(So in case some job would crash another instance sees there is a placeholder written, rerenders and jumps to next. When all job s done. Finished.)

So incase you can delegate to CUDA_0 and CUDA_1
    or when 4 GPU´s to CUDA_0 to CUDA_3
    there would be around 17min or 9min.) because it s pretty linear then.

1x Titan RTX (second physically removed)

RTX mode off
    1st 00h54m47s
    2nd 00h55m12s

RTX mode on
    1st 00h34m18s
    1st 00h32m07s

So, there are no benefits through Multi GPU. It even slows down when RTX mode on.
    With RTX Mode off 1xTitan RTX is as fast like the 2x GTX 1080 setup.
    1x Titan RTX with RTX Mode on is the fastest one.
    2x Titan RTX with RTX Mode on and SLI off is almost as fast V2.)

00h32m07s for this complexity and quality should be
    world record.

There is no need for latest marketing cards..)

Only if you... bake multi light scenarios like...

I would really like to bake an day night cycle
    with 48 steps a 00h32m07s and switch these calculated lightmaps and probes with the scripts from E-Cone.
    So you could bake an day night cycle with 48 steps in one day with one Titan RTX.

48 x 703MB Lightmaps.) in project. Who cares.)
    Think by saving them in some granite 64k virtual texture sets it could be really fast to switch these too.

to do...
    testruns
    2x Quadro RTX 6000
    1x Quadro RTX 6000
    I don t expect anything faster here. More 10% less than Titan X RTX for more than double price.
    However they have 24GB Ram each. Let s see.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  48. Scarabay

Scarabay

I have doublesided windows as 2 separate meshes in the same place. One of them looks dark and has no highlights. Shadows are disabled for both, but it doesn't help. Is it possible to fix that without changing their position?

49. shaneK001

shaneK001

Getting this error. Sorry if it's been answered already:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    4. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    5. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    6. ftBuildGraphics.ModelUVsOverlap (UnityEditor.ModelImporter importer, ftGlobalStorage store) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:739)
    7. ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>d__141.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4517)
    8. ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>d__218.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3761)
    9. ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3227)
    10. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:200)

50. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

If they are really at the same place, then it shouldn't happen. If they are approximately at the same place, then perhaps your problem is similar to the one mentioned. The best solution is of course to move them away from each other a bit.
    Alternatively you can try assigning them a Lightmap Group with some Normal Offset (this option was added in 1.6). Normal offset will push starting ray positions away by the specified amount.

- Are you sure you're on the latest 1.6?
    - If yes... does it work if you simply just try clicking Render again? o_O
    - If it doesn't... it's a bug. I'm not sure why that would happen, but if you look at line 737 in ftBuildGraphics.cs you should see this:

if (index >= 0)

Try replacing it with

if (index >= 0 && index < store.uvOverlapAssetList.Count)