Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

For lightmaps to become aparent the albedo color must be white, I'll share an script later on to make all scene albedo white if you need so, I preffer to bring all white and fine tune afterwards
    upload_2018-8-12_15-49-49.png

upload_2018-8-12_15-49-55.png
    This is insane.
    upload_2018-8-12_15-50-28.png

This asset definitely delivers, this is like Beast2 Should have been and this is how Unity 5 should have shiped. Thank you dev. I'll keep testing. Sadly I'm unable to make SSR of postprocess stack to work this would be the candy of the cake. XD

EDIT: added lightmap group to roadmarkings but I'm having exact same problem as with PLM as they lack UV2 they don´t properly lightmap, I thought the pack option of the lm group would generate lightmap UVs

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok good bad news! XD
    I managed to lightmap the UV2 less roadmarkings!
    I made an editor only script, simply attach this to a mesh that has no UV2, press button, rebake selected... tadaaa.

The thing is that the cast shadows toggle (as previously posted) does not work so I'm getting some weird black lines... but I realized some of the road markings did not, the oddly shadow casting lines are Fade transparent and the non casting are Cutout Transparent, hope this helps catching the issue.
    EDIT, the shader has nothing to do as found some non shadow casting fade roadmarkings like hte pedestrian crossings. :\

Attached Files:

Mark_01 likes this.
  3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

upload_2018-8-12_19-44-34.png
    but if you don´t own this asset yet and you see errors reported in teh posts and you wonder why do care to repor theese if the mighty radeon rays are coming soon (since a year).. this may give you a clue: (this is only skylight bake, and som post proces stac v2)

upload_2018-8-12_19-45-41.png

upload_2018-8-12_19-46-27.png

upload_2018-8-12_19-47-26.png

macdude2, Mark_01 and guycalledfrank like this.
  4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Those mean you're either out of video memory or disk space. I guess I should replace cryptic error code with more helpful error messages :)

VRAM optimization currently only helps GI. It does nothing for scene export and direct lighting.
    However, I'm restructuring scene export right now (while adding custom shader support) and will try to move the VRAM-heavy part past scene unloading, so it will work.

Currently Bakery checks if object doesn't have UV2 and then... tries using UV1 instead. The only reason for this is that default Plane primitive doesn't seem to have UV2, yet default lightmappers still bake it (with UV1), and it works. It may not work properly for other cases.

Uhhmm interesting. Perhaps I should show the warning, but skip default Planes. It might be that Bakery tried to reinterpret weird overlapping UVs from these markings as lightmap UVs and perhaps decided they should have a ton of texels, so you went out of mem.

Most people seem to misunderstand the way Pack Atlas mode works in Lightmap Groups. Every object with its children is packed as a single rectangle, assuming children don't overlap. If you want stuff to be packed the way automatic packing does it, you need to add the Lightmap Group component to every mesh renderer in the hierarchy, so each of them will be packed individually. This is not the behaviour most users seem to expect though - I should make it pack everything auto-style (but check for overlaps and don't repack what's already packed). The reason for current design was having scenes with multiple objects already pre-packed into single layout.
    Updated docs.

Ugh, now that's weird. Do they appear on this wall if you bake it separately from other stuff? Also how far is the wall? E.g. what are its world coordinates? There were some similar looking problems with objects very far from world origin during beta testing, but I fixed them - not sure if it's related.

Final lightmaps are nice :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. Mark_01

Mark_01

In the past i think Unity has promised lots of features " coming " :D

That's is why I got this Now. Really for companies this is a no brainier to pick up.
    Actually any one who wants fast fast GPU Bakery ... :cool:

guycalledfrank likes this.
  6. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

May be I ran out of system RAM, I wasn not monitoring. Still pleas add some virtual memory option, I wouldnt mind to leave the computer a whole weekend and see what happns.
    The excene export is not the issue in my case despite those errs at init many bakes failed around 50% due to too may sampes (33 for this scene, it bakes fine with 16).

Using UV1 makes senso as I saw some rare artifacts in some harbour containers, I'll run the UV2 mapper script on those prefabs, I'll modify the script so it can UV2 the whole scene. Will edit the script post when ready. I'm in teh need of te script that turns whole scene mats white so I'm gonna do that first :D

The pink dots left once I reduced material color to 0.8f, may it was too bright due to directional and sky and everything around being white, it was close to 0,0. Not worried about this issue anymore.

7. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

OK, the effect of the spell is over. I can´t get the scene to bake, not even a single building with render selected. It fails on export. Please tell me what file hosts the scene config as I would really like to reset. as the scene has not changed.
    EDIT: fixed. not sure where the config was stored but I wiped bakery folder, editor, rsc files in root aswell as library. Scene settings got wiped, lets see if it bakes...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  8. jjejj87

jjejj87

Hi, I have a quick question. Is bakery a baking backend only or does it replace the whole GI lighting?

I ask this because I was wondering if multiple lighting setup can be baked for a scene and the lighting data swapped in at runtime to present different time of the day.

eg. directional light with different angles and intensity with point lights on for night.

9. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

This is a planed feature, I think its in the manual may be in the store description but I also thought of it and when reading I felt relief XD.

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sorry to hear that. Any lightmap groups there? I'd suggest trying baking without them.
    As for scene config, it's a hidden object inside the scene. Here is a script you can use (Bakery->Debug select storage) to select (and delete) this object.

What exactly is "whole GI lighting"?

Yeah, it's doable using scripting, just like with any lightmaps. If you can do it with Progressive, you can do it with Bakery.
    But I'm planning to make it somewhat more accessible.

Attached Files:

Archviz3d likes this.
  11. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Back to baking. I had a group from previous setup. It was crashing and dunno whent to terrain saw that they had a bake proves for trees like option and dissabled it. Its rare cause its first time I do this for sure, yet, It catched my attention because things started to go south when I was placing a reflection prove and I hit bake in thep rove and the PLM started to bake. I cancelled the operation but already had spited several samples trashing the lighmaps. Yet on restar all seemed ok but I deleted lightmap data, seemingly all was clear but on restart bakery lightmaps where back , an well I deleted them manually tried to rebuild.. nothing worked but hey I've just baked again a building. I also deleted the lighmap groups so who know, may be that was it, But I preffer to be able to bring back the scene to life rather to have to restart, specially because this is an export to a test project, I need to know hwat to do if this happens in production . Gonna do a full scene render. Cheers.

+1 to mltiple lighting setups, I would love to have night lighting, cloudy, and dusc for my urban maps

DGordon and guycalledfrank like this.
  12. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok so it baked the scene nicelly! :D
    some stats
    upload_2018-8-13_0-30-46.png
    So this is with 12 samples (previously I said 16 mistakenly) considering how close to peak is the System Ram pretty sure it was system ram topping when using 32 samples. I can´t do hardware extensions now but I would consider 64 or even 128 in order to get top end ressults.
    Notice the spikes on the GPU it stayed like that all the time. GPU mem was not the issues at all, peak of 7 out of 16 gb

Mark_01 and guycalledfrank like this.
  13. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Hey there. First off, love the product so far. My bakes are far better than the built-in option as promised. I am, however encountering an issue. When I bake the lightmaps, everything looks good. When I press play, its almost as if the lightmap uv's change and some of my models turn black. Do you happen to know why?

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It's an issue with static batching. Should work fine in builds, and it's also fixed in the upcoming (hopefully this week) update.

MastermindInteractive likes this.
  15. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Looks like I can update the attached script so I post.

Updated the script, you can now place in a root and redo UV2 to all chilldren, it will crash if scene is too big. It would have been smarter to develop as window script and perform operation on selected objects, may be in a future iteration XD

Attached Files:

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Tested on another map
    upload_2018-8-13_16-18-36.png
    Some afticats due to the known cast shadow issue on roadmarkings. Some strange lights in facades but this is due to the trees scale set to 0 and yet not supporting s custom shaders tress are lightmaped as the collecitons of planes they're
    upload_2018-8-13_16-19-37.png

testures are not aimed to realism
    upload_2018-8-13_16-23-31.png

upload_2018-8-13_16-24-10.png
    first run with default was fast and system memory was far from teh peak so I upped specs a bit, took a bit but now I see tile size was low, it was aroun 2500s

Attached Files:

blueivy and guycalledfrank like this.
  17. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok I fixed the material property changer, I posted but I removed few secs after.
    I made a mistake using renderere.materials instead of renderer.SHAREDmaterials, causing the scene materials to "clone".
    If I screwed somones project script in last post fixes the situation.
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/228708/finding-and-replacing-all-instanced-materials.html

Without further do, this script sets all scene materials color to white and smoothness to 0 in order you can perceive lightmaps correctly once textured, you may afterwards tune each in editor. I think is better than odnig the oposite as you start with the more raw output and you go tweaking rather than editing each one by one in order to get how each obj is lightmaped + that whay you never get the whole scene lightmaped feeling till the end.

I've only pending to test to set lightmap of a terrain tha has tree to 0 an see if htey cast shadow as the city map trees where prafabs not planted on a terrain. I'll take a break on baking since I need to port a crapton of code but I really needed a proff of the lighting was not going to be a dead end (I'm coing right from 4.7.2, stood on the trench due to 5.x + poor lighting XD)

EDIT: NOTICE
    I realiced this when making a build ( at least targeting console you get som errs making build due to my scripts, wrap my scripts from start to end with

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. ///script content here
    5. #endif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    hopeful and guycalledfrank like this.
  18. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

19. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

upload_2018-8-13_23-42-2.png
    upload_2018-8-13_23-42-12.png
    upload_2018-8-13_23-42-26.png
    upload_2018-8-13_23-42-45.png
    Sadly does not run on Xbox :\

20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I wonder why? Doesn't fit in memory or something else?

Just to inform, I've just fixed that.

Also can confirm HDRP and LWRP now work properly.
    Just waiting for some people to test it and will upload :)

Mark_01 and Archviz3d like this.
  21. YouDesign

YouDesign

Can we do something with objects which used standart double-side and transperent shader? PLM work correctly with them, but on Bakery we have artifacts...

Attached Files:

22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That looks weird - are you sure this object doesn't just have negative scale? Double-sided objects will simply have one side baked (properly).
    Also - are there any LODs?

(btw, that vegetation outside looks amazing! where can I buy it? :D)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  23. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

@guycalledfrank The SSR of poststack not working with bakery is due to the directional lightmap not been developed? Or it has some other reason?

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

No idea. It's just a normal lightmap with normal shaders. Not sure how it can affect post effects. Will investigate.

Archviz3d likes this.
  25. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Yeah didnt though it could affect it also!! Anyway still didnt bought your asset but its a must have ;-) so later tonight ill try im really curious to see how fast it can go and the results :)

26. YouDesign

YouDesign

No, negative scale haven`t been used - i know about this problem. Without transperent or double-side shaders all looks nice.

27. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Can you try isolating this problem? Does this object still look buggy in an empty scene? Does it happen with a simple primitive using the same material (or with this mesh using simple material)?

28. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I wasnt blaming the Lightmapper but may be there is a reson of conflict.
    I was preparing a bug report building a sample scene and managed the SSR to work. SOMEHOW. Because I promise I had already tried in a simple scene.
    upload_2018-8-14_11-49-21.png
    From what I'm seeing so far you ened to set smoothnes or metallic high unlike with the stocastic SSR and seting smoothness high will affect lightmap perception. I'll try this scene with bakery.

29. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok so far its working, testing just skylight
    upload_2018-8-14_12-5-32.png
    same with SSR,
    upload_2018-8-14_12-6-16.png
    It works on Xbox BUT is ridiculously taxing I'll try with the harbour scene.

30. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok despite the time I lost in the past trying to make theese work, its working now.
    upload_2018-8-14_12-37-6.png
    From what I tested so far it requires more finetuning than stocastic and you've to do so tuning the smoothness and doing so creates an inverse relationship between the lightmap presence and the reflection presence. May be there is another way to tune but the time I had to play with reflections played against lightmaps. Hope in the end this is not the case.
    EDIT: the cost of SSR is ridiculous. It was really not like that in 4.x.
    //---------------------------
    In regards to double sided GI I also noticed that backsides are not ligthmaped eben if double sided GI is checked on teh material. Anyways if you add the custom double sided cutout shader it takes no GI at all because custom shaders not yet supported.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  31. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

HI! Looks very promising! Already bought one license to support a developer.
    Is that possible to use this with our in-game level editor? So this is a special kind of run-time baking - user has enough time to render all lightmaps during editing of the level inside a game. Then we need to save generated lightmaps on the HDD and apply generated data later when he will try to play constructed level.
    Any kind of help with that is appreciated. :)

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Technically yes, but there is no proper API yet - you can try looking into existing C# scripts and write a runtime one, but in general, I don't think it's a good idea. Are all your players on Nvidia? Do they all have crazy powerful GPUs? Do they have enough disk space for temp files? etc...

33. YouDesign

YouDesign

But PLM can bake both sides when double sides GI option enabled on material. This is can be fixed in Bakery?

Vegetation not for sale:)

34. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It can't: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material-doubleSidedGI.html
    "Backfaces are not rendered or added to lightmaps, but get treated as valid when seen from other objects"

Bakery does that by default, except backfaces are treated as black (e.g. they block light, but don't bounce).
    Still I kind of doubt it is why your curtains look weird - there must be something else.

Any chance you can try this:

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

All users in this category are mod makers and our internal developers, so yes we can do such assumptions. So it would be nice if you will keep in mind such scenario during future development of your API :)

36. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

Gave this a quick try on 2018.1.9f1 using GTX1080 + Android platform target and here's how my first time experience went. I've described the steps here to give some insight on how people might use the asset on the first try.

- On import the asset spammed console full of obsolete API warnings
    - Opening the sponza example scene was fully white and rebaking didn't fix it
    - Opening example_lights scene I got first working bakes by manually changing encoding to mobile (could be automatic?)
    - The quality of the lightmaps was horrible due to mobile compression settings on the lightmap textures, had to manually switch to uncompressed which made them look nice (could be automatic?)
    - Opened my actual scene, which has nothing but a single 3-mil tri mesh with a standard shader and a standard procedural skybox
    - Console got spammed full of random assert failed messages, ignored those...
    - Set the entire mesh to static and reimported it with auto generated UVs
    - Added a skylight to the scene and it complained something about skybox not matching it, clicked fix and it made my skybox plain white. Cool.
    - Added some bakery point lights using the asset menu
    - Tried baking the scene and was welcomed with "You need to mark some objects static or add Bakery Lightmap Group Selector components on them"
    - Quadruple checked that the lights and the mesh were static all the way up to the root but no go, same error every time
    - Tried adding Lightmap Group Selector to the mesh and baking, was greeted with multiple mysterious "creating buffers failed" and various different error windows
    - Reopening the scene and various other obvious fixes didn't get rid of the error so eventually I gave up and decided to wait for further development
    - After deleting the asset from the project, I got several missing script warnings in the console which turned out to be from scripts attached to objects hidden in hierarchy. This could be a major headache for someone who is not aware hierarchy objects can be hidden using hide flags.

To summarize; It's promising. The example scene looked very nice compared to the time it took to bake it, but the initial user experience or the weird unfortunate bugs I encountered could use some work.

Will be following for further development!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  37. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

If your project is set to Android, then it can't properly decode example lightmaps. You need to set Encoding to "Mobile" in advanced settings and then rebake.

Mobiles also suck at having decent amount of memory, so I'm not sure uncompressed should be default.

When you just opened your scene without interacting with any Bakery controls?...

That's weird.
    1. What's your GPU?
    2. Do objects have scale in lightmap > 0 on mesh renderers?
    Any chance you can send me the bugged scene to test?

38. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

I believe they first appeared after I attempted to bake the scene and then started appearing every time I selected the object again in the hierarchy.

1. GTX1080
    2. Didn't check, but the settings were the default i.e. didn't modify them.

The mesh I tested with is unfortunately confidential but I'll try to reproduce in a simpler scene sometime later.

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Your mesh can be omitted from rendering (and hence give this error because there is nothing to bake) if:
    - it's inactive
    - it doesn't have Mesh Renderer or Mesh Filter, or they are disabled
    - scale in lightmap on mesh renderer is zero
    - it's not Lightmapped Static
    - no UVs
    - possibly if it's not linked to any asset (AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath not returning anything)
    - has HideFlags.DontSave or HideFlags.HideAndDontSave set by a script
    - has EditorOnly tag
    - has BakeryLightMesh component with selfshadow disabled

40. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

v1.1 was submitted! :)
    Waiting for approval.

Changelog:

- Added support for custom shaders (Meta Pass). Includes any procedural albedo and emission. Opacity maps are still taken by name.
    - Added HDRP and LWRP support.
    - Renderers with Cast Shadows = Off shouldn't produce shadows anymore.
    - It's now possible to bake without any lights (emissive only).
    - Added emissive boost option.
    - Light Mesh can be now synchronized with built-in area lights.
    - Added "clear baked data" menu item.
    - Fixed static batching in editor.
    - Fixed artifacts with negative parent scale.
    - Fixed emission being baked in lightmaps.
    - Fixed emission intensity.
    - Fixed "type mismatch" error sometimes when baking a lightmap with no lights affecting it.
    - Fixed various problems with GI VRAM optimization.
    - Fixed lightmap array growing too long when multiple scenes are baked.
    - Fixed console warnings on export.
    - Fixed terrains being baked even if not marked static.
    - UV GBuffer export now happens after scene unload to prevent some out-of-memory crashes.
    - Fixed being unable to select "Everything" for bitmasks in some components.
    - Fixed undo not recording "match real-time to lightmapped" buttons on light components.

41. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Wonderful! Can't wait to test the new version.
    Thank you for your great work!

42. YouDesign

YouDesign

Thanks for release new version.
    Can you talk more about using Lightmap Group Selector? For example on this simple scene group selector not used and all seen correct: without.png

But if i add Lightmap Group Selector component to "Group" game object and click on "Create new" button, after baking i get this result:

with.png

Objects in the group have incorrect lightmap. What i doing wrong?

43. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

awesome!! Will test tomorrow.This brings the tool pretty much production ready for anyone doing visualizations and at the gates of anyone targeting pc/consoles. Shadowmasking tho may end up one of those hardcore final bosses.
    Keep it up.

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You'll need to wait for Unity guys to approve the update first :(

At the moment it's counter-intuitive, and I'm planning to redesign it.
    Long story short: for most cases set it to Pack Atlas mode and add the component on every mesh renderer.

Actual long story. This is where and how you use "Simple" lightmap groups:

lmgroup_simple.jpg

And this is how you use "Pack Atlas" groups:

lmgroup_packatlas.jpg

Mark_01 and TooManySugar like this.
  45. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

46. g8minhquan

g8minhquan

Wow, you have a really interesting asset there, as I'm so tired with generating lightmaps for my mobile games.
    Just some dumb questions before I buy the asset and upgrade my PC:
    - How much time will it saves me with a GTX 1050 vs a Core i5?
    - How much difference between a 1050 vs a 1060? Is it worth it to get the latter?
    Thanks

47. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

IMG_4171.JPG
    I don't have such data. Maybe you can ask someone who already bought it. I only have i7-8770k (that's a monster CPU) and GTX1060. Last time I managed to properly compare Sponza, it was 12 minutes/4 bounces on Progressive (left) and 5 minutes/5 bounces on Bakery (right). Also resolution on the right turned out to be slightly higher than on left due to atlasing differences. Also note the lack of noise and seams on the right.

mowax74 and g8minhquan like this.
  48. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Due to popular demand, added simple non-physical ambient occlusion (like built-in lightmappers have). Will include in the next update.
    Personally I'm not a fan of this effect, as it's not realistic, but there seems to be enough people using it.

bakeao.jpg photo_2018-08-16_18-06-35.jpg

49. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I
    thought initially could be interesting but using an asset that computes it will give you better ressults. This can still be interesting for mobile. Despite it may be not too realistic, subtle AO helps to ground objects better. And it may not be lighting alike but dirt alike. I mean when facades meat ground that fake darkening may not be correct ligthing wise but this will occur usually in corners because dirt stores an AO helps to simulate this.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  50. macdude2

macdude2

It also gives a super atmospheric effect that can really be on point depending on the mood you're trying to go for.