Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Hey Frank! Sorry to bug ya just curious about progress on the lightprobe prefab stuff :)

atomicjoe likes this.
  2. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I had some issues in the past when rendering lightprobes and switching the windows focus to another app.
    Bakery NEEDS you to have Unity on active focus to render it's lightprobes correctly.
    Don't switch to another app while rendering lightprobes.

tntfoz and therewillbebrad like this.
  3. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Do the lightmaps get stored in the same place (and files) as the normal (Enlighten/Progressive) light Mappers? I want to use this asset but don't want to learn a new system for storing the lightmap data.

4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No, they don't. They get stored in an user specified folder (which can be set to be the same as the regular Unity lightmap folder manually)
    That being said, replacing Unity's lightmapper with Bakery is very straight forward.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

Bakery Light Mesh
    After matching light to material texture tiling is not responsive in shader unlit/bakery Light
    Unity 2017.4.15f1

6. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Didnt' know that. Do you know why that is?

7. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hey every one i have a problem when trying to render a scene with bakery
    Maybe someone can help please?
    Bakery Error.png

8. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Do you store your project in your documents folder?

9. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hi ther
    Not exactly
    That was just for testing the asset in a blank project (unity will build it in documents by default) and then adding it to my main project on another drive
    But for the question at this time yes its in documents folder

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm the only script there is is the inspector (GUI), and it's editor-only. So I'm not sure about the question...

40 GI samples is quite a lot. I noticed sometimes a combination of complex geometry and large sample count can cause the GI loop to run for too long and break some assumptions in the driver, producing black color. TBH I don't know any scene where you'd need more than 16 GI samples, so I'd recommend that.

Yes. Is there any reason your lightmap UVs should be outside of that range?

Actually it shouldn't have any of these anymore, but still I find it kinda weird.

Bakery scales UVs of different objects according to their triangle area anyway. So small patches should result in small lightmaps and large will be large.

They shouldn't be, so that's a good question. One known possibility is when you have an object that doesn't fit in any existing atlas, a new lightmap is allocated. New lightmaps can't be smaller than your Min Resolution parameter, and they also must be power of two. Also if there is nothing else to put in this new lightmap, the contents will be scaled up to fill the whole atlas. In this case, if you, e.g., had a 1024x1024 atlas with a 600x600 lightmap, it will be enlarged to use full 1024 map. There are a lot of small cases like that, when you're balancing between respecting texel density, power of two and not wasting any space. It would be interesting to analyze a scene where you think texel density is incorrect and see if it's the case above.

That's quite weird, Bakery shouldn't introduce any strethcing. If you can send me any simple FBX with the UVs that cause it, I'll debug.
    The default Unity cube has non-square UVs and it doesn't seem to get stretched.

So yeah it doesn't expect these files to be read-only. Worth adding to the ignore list.

This one is straightforward. The only remedy is to:
    - Enable GI VRAM optimization
    - If the advice above doesn't work for some reason: reduce texels per unit

The values are quite large. Do you use postprocessing to boost exposure a lot? What kinds of light sources are primarily lighting the scene?

Luck, probably. Previously Unity or some other software could have more VRAM allocated for itself.

Hmmm I'll take a look at shadergraph. I didn't use it at all, but yeah I can imagine a node for Bakery lightmaps :)

Light probe rendering is implemented quite differently to lightmap rendering. Instead of getting GI/skylight/arealights from the lightmapper, it just renders a cubemap at every lightprobe position and convolves it down to spherical harmonics.
    What it means is that if you have some unusually bright shaders on static objects, but they're not affecting the lightmap, they can still affect the probes.

In this case it sounds like you need occlusion probes. There is a checkbox for that. You may have correct probe data, but the realtime sun is just being unshadowed.

... yes! There is not setup, it's just you'll have additional occlusion data baked into every probe :)

Not there yet.

Yeah I don't remember if tiling is supported for area light textures...

Unity refuses to render its reflection probes when not in focus.

Does it happen absolutely every time you bake? Even on example scenes?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    JohnLabern and tntfoz like this.
  11. fup

fup

That is not the case. Only 1 direct mixed light and only 1 other mixed spot light overlap at any one place in the level...

12. fup

fup

After the last bake I am seeing this msg:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable bakedLights of ftLightmapsStorage has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the bakedLights variable of the ftLightmapsStorage script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.Light.get_bakingOutput () <0x609aaf90 + 0x00072> in <d616be05755d41a089810b5c14e4dd50>:0
    ftLightmaps.RefreshScene (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene scene, ftLightmapsStorage storage, System.Boolean updateNonBaked) (at Assets/Bakery/ftLightmaps.cs:645)
    ftLightmapsStorage.Awake () (at Assets/Bakery/ftLightmapsStorage.cs:174)

It sounds serious. How do I correct this? There is no ref to ftLightmapsStorage in the scene for me to examine in the inspector.

Thanks

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I wonder if spot light bounds are incorrectly calculated... can you share a screenshot of all spot light gizmos (top view) around the one that generates this warning?

Weird, never seen it before. Something prefab-related? Light is prefab? Renderer is prefab?

14. fup

fup

These are the only active lights in the scene. All other lights are disabled. Even if I *delete* every single light but one in the scene it'll still complain.

upload_2019-2-17_13-11-32.png

15. fup

fup

this is 2018.3.0f2 btw

16. fup

fup

The lights are not prefabbed. How would i prefab a renderer? Can you elaborate?

17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Doesn't make sense. If you go to SetupLightShadowmaskUsingBitmask() function in ftBuildGraphics.cs and add

Debug.Log(ulht.name);

What will it print? These will be all lights Bakery recognized as shadowmasked.

A mesh renderer I mean. In any case - I'd suggest ignore this error for now.

18. fup

fup

I'm not able to do that right now but every time a bake is attempted every mixed light in the scene gets logged like this:

Non of them overlap, apart from with the one directional mixed light. So that's 2 overlapping light maximum.

upload_2019-2-17_15-15-21.png

maybe that's some help?

19. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I have a lightmapped prefab in the scene.

What could have gone wrong if:
    The prefab looks well inside the scene, where it was baked.
    When I open the prefab in the scene the lightmaps get messy.
    When I close the prefab the lightmaps get back right.

When I put the prefab into other scene - the lightmaps get messy.

This prefab has no lightmap group defined.
    But lightmap group is not obligatory component for lightmapped prefab, is it?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  20. BrainchildArt

BrainchildArt

Hey,

I have RTX 2080 if you need a tester. I also use GTX 1080. I have both in the same PC. Do you think they would work well together like in blender3d (multi GPU setup)?

21. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hello @guycalledfrank
    yes absolutely every time even on example scenes :(

22. robert-nally

robert-nally

Sorry I'm a bit confused. If I want indirect lighting, I need Bake to Indirect turned off? Is that because of the Shadowmask mode? Because otherwise, isn't that a bit unintuitive?

Also here is the flickering bug I am seeing in engine. Sorry for the .gif compression, but hopefully it still makes sense. It's the Unity light/dynamic light that is flickering.

https://i.imgur.com/V2ReiAP.gifv

I don't know if this helps, but I have Mixed Lighting in my Unity Lighting Settings and that is set to Subtractive with Baked Global Illumination checked. I assumed these settings might be overwritten with the lightmaps being baked by Bakery. Is there any documentation for what is ignored by Bakery and what isn't?

Thanks,
    Rob

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  23. Johnny-Ge

Johnny-Ge

Hi Frank,

For some reasons, we updated the Unity version from 5.6.6 to 2018.3.6f1, after reimport resources, on Android platform shader compile error:

Shader error in 'Bakery/Standard': invalid subscript 'posWorld' at Assets/Bakery/shader/Bakery.cginc(318) (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_ON _NORMALMAP
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Bakery/Standard': invalid subscript 'posWorld' at Assets/Bakery/shader/Bakery.cginc(318) (on gles3)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_ON _NORMALMAP
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Bakery/Standard': invalid subscript '_LightCoord' at Assets/Bakery/shader/Bakery.cginc(620) (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD SPOT _NORMALMAP
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Would u please help us to solve it?
    Thx a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Ermask

Ermask

It's ok to use the bakery 1.51 with unity 2018.2.11.f1, or should i use with unity 2018.3?

25. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

"Opening" the prefab is a new feature in 2018.3 and it doesn't support lightmaps. In fact Unity never supported lightmaps in prefabs, but Bakery was able to work around it. There isn't much I can do about the new open/close feature though.

That shouldn't happen though. Are you using Lightmapped Prefab component, or is it just a normal prefab?
    Are there any errors printed on the Lightmapped Prefab component UI or does it just say "Prefab connection: OK"? Is "Enable baking" checkbox on?

You don't need a Group for the prefab, that's right.

RTX support seems to work decently already, so I'm releasing it soon :)
    Regarding multi-GPU: yes it works, but there are some caveats. For classic non RTX-accelerated mode most of it is answered in the FAQ section of the manual. For RTX-accelerated mode take a look at this post: long story short, you can't combine RTX GPUs with non-RTX.
    I don't know if single 2080 in RTX mode is faster than 1080+2080 combined in non-RTX though. If you're willing to run some tests to figure this out, yeah, I can send you a beta :)

Veeery weird. Can you crash it again and then send me your Editor.log? In your case it should be in C:/Users/Pourya.MDP/AppData/Local/Unity/Editor

It IS unintuitive :( Sorry. Will do something about the UI. Indirect lighting is always baked. "Bake to indirect" means that the direct contribution will be also baked to indirect lightmaps.

This is really weird. Is it reproducible on a simple scene? If you can send me anything I can run and see the problem, that'll help diagnosing it

The subtractive option (as well as shadowmask/distance shadowmask) is not ignored, since it's not a bake setting, but a thing that changes the way engine processes lighting. Everything else is.
    I updated the shader a bit recently to fix a similar issue. The update is currently on github - write me a PM with your invoice number and github username, and I'll add you to the repo.

It is definitely OK.

tntfoz likes this.
  26. mcjptk

mcjptk

Hello Guys

I've got a problem, I import my model to unity from ArchiCad via Blender, I save DAE file in Archicad and then export FBX file from Blender and import to Unity (otherwise I had huge UV mapping errors) and now instead of multiple UV mapping errors and messed up baking output I'm getting:

[Bakery warning] 257 pixels overlap: Assets/.../.../.../133BLNDv2.fbx

Following warning leads to crash, that aborts whole Unity
    What can I do about it?
    (I'm not an expert in blender by any means I use it only because ArchiCAD exports failed in Bakery)

Edit: I've tried to do enable checker, to see what might be the problem and it also caused crash.

Edit2: I've exported a test file from ArchiCAD, like just 4 walls, roof, some windows, etc. and after loading it shows exact same warning with exact same value of 257 pixels overlap.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  27. fungusamongus4

fungusamongus4

Hello,
    I'm having some trouble with lightmapped prefabs. Whenever I try to bake a prefab with a default AreaLight (Bakery > Create > AreaLight) there's an exception thrown at the end of rendering and the area light doesn't bake. It doesn't happen with any other lights, or when baking normal, non-prefab levels.
    upload_2019-2-18_14-27-44.png
    The progress bar gets stuck at 100% and when I press cancel goes above 100%
    upload_2019-2-18_14-29-8.png
    After that I can't use bakery at all and have to restart unity to fix the problem.
    (Unity 2018.3.6f1, newest version of Bakery)

Update: The problem can be fixed by swapping the mesh renderer component for light in area mode

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    guycalledfrank likes this.
  28. BrainchildArt

BrainchildArt

Yep, you can send me a beta version. That would be amazing.

I wanna test it out! I just hate current lightmapper in unity ;/

29. JohnLabern

JohnLabern

I use to bake my scenes with 64 GI samples actually (because it seems to get rid of some scarce 'localized' white splotches in some lightmaps in my interiors). In my experiments related to getting black colored maps GI samples didn't seem to make a difference (setting them to 1-4 samples got the same results), the only effective thing I could do was reducing texels per unit progressively until the problem didn't reproduce. Is it then a driver related problem? Would preparing and sending a scene where this issue happen help in any way?

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Something feels extremely odd about these models. Can you send me any FBX with that problem?

Did you have arealight+lightmesh and swapped it to meshrenderer+lightmesh?
    Was there anything else in the prefab except the light? Any Lightmap Groups used?

More often than not the splotches are caused by:
    - Very sharp sky texture. Just shrink it/blur it. Diffuse lighting won't change much, but the splotches will go away.
    - Very small but bright emissive objects. Use Light Meshes instead, as rays won't miss them.
    Increasing GI samples is often unnecessary.

I'm not sure exactly yet. It seems like the overall combination of everything can hit some limit and get you into the black lightmap land. Setting samples to extreme values definitely seems to produce black output, and with more complex scenes less samples were needed. It's almost as if driver kills the loop if it gets too long and too deep.

Most scenes can be broken if you set 1000 samples or something (that's why I now have sample range validation to warn the user about particularly high values). If you have any suspiciously modest scene that still gets black with 64 samples, yeah you can send it.

JohnLabern likes this.
  31. mcjptk

mcjptk

Here you have a test .fbx file my main one is 120mb but it gives same error.
    It should be textured (roofing, brickwalls)

I've found way to import model such that it does not give me overlaping pixels error, but now I've got:

"You need to mark some objects static or add Bakery Lightmap Group Selector component on them."

even tho everything is already done already...

Edit: I've tried with the same prefab in the new scene and it gives me same effect (prefab is static and connected to script) but now additionally it says that:

Mesh doesn't have UVs. Please create some for GI

It's the same model, that in previously used scene did not give me any warnings (3ds from Archicad, exported to fbx via Blender)

Edit2: I've overcome these errors, by exporting FBX through SketchUP... But...
    Now rendering starts and after some happy rendering time have elapsed i get:

Bakery error:
    ftrace error: Unknown error (-1073740791)

Edit3: Success! (at least partial) I've reduced texel per unit amount from 45 to 20 and rendering finalized with good result. Now I'm only having an issue with creating a higher texel per unit ammount as my render is equally important to look good from outside and the interiors.

Edit4: ftrace error with TPU value 30 again, I suspect amount of RAM/GDDR memory.

Edit5: Mixed results, to many lights in scene makes ftrace error, my scene consists of ~50 light sources, and ~20 is minimum how am I supoused to render lightmaps if max number of lights that seems to not result in failure? should I render lights in groups of 5 and turn them off before rendering next 5? I've tried to render first 5, then turning on another 5 resulted in rendering failure. Is there proper way of saving LMGroup if I'm happy with rendering outcome of one lightgroup, and merging it with next one with good outcome?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  32. OlliTuu

OlliTuu

I tried to get started with this on unity 2018.2.14f1 but there was some deprecated code(i changed it) and after trying to render it crashes on DllNotFoundException: simpleProgressBar on ftbuildGraphics.ProgressBarInit. After disabling progress bar hacky way in source there was tons of other errors so is it problem with the version or?

33. Ermask

Ermask

Thanks for the help. It was really usefull. The render scene it's almost perfect now. But i still have these odd... dots of light in some objects. But in this one they are really more visible. I've been trying every idea i had, but no luck. What could be happening? light dots.png

34. fungusamongus4

fungusamongus4

It was the other way around. meshrenderer was causing the problem so i swapped it to an area light. Nothing else in the prefabs, I had the same results when testing on basic Unity 3D Objects.

35. JohnLabern

JohnLabern

Maybe attaching a Baked Lightmap picture too would help in order to discard initial problems related to lightmap UVs.
    (Instead of Shaded mode -> Baked Global Illumination -> Baked Lightmap) Or Bakery's own checker preview.

36. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

Hello, I am receiving error 1282 (Memory allocation failed (Details: Function _rtContextLaunch2d caught exception: Out of memory). I have set GI VRAM Optimization to Forced On, set Texels per Unit to 2 and Tile Size to 128, yet the error persists. Any insights as to why this could be? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

37. Ermask

Ermask

Backed Lightmap. backedLightmap.png
    Bakery's Checker
    checker.png

Do you see something wrong? Thanks for the help.

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks!
    I can't see the textures though - the materials are weird, most of them are transparent. I changed them to a pure gray, and overall it seems to work, but the UVs are all messed up, and there are UV errors in the console (for a reason):

upload_2019-2-19_18-32-29.png

Then I click "Generate lightmapping UVs" and get this:

upload_2019-2-19_18-33-54.png

This error is coming from Unity unwrapper so it seems like some meshes are indeed broken somehow. Likely these with 0 verts:

upload_2019-2-19_18-34-53.png

Baking still worked though:

upload_2019-2-19_18-35-17.png

upload_2019-2-19_18-35-28.png

I'm not sure how you managed to get the errors you described. Testing was done on 2018.3.3. Just in case, make sure you're on v1.51 and probably grab the latest patches from github.

Lights are rendered in separate passes. That means the amount of lights does not increase any GPU load (only render time). The failure must be related to one particular light.

What kind of deprecated code? Was it an error or a warning? When importing, make sure you press the "I made a backup, go ahead" button, so Unity auto-upgrades the scripts. If there are no script compilation errors, but you get the DllNotFoundException when hitting Render: make sure simpleProgressBar.dll is in your project and you're using a 64-bit version of Unity.

Do you have some tiny but very bright emissive surface? They can cause things like that due to rays often missing them. Using Light Mesh component is preferred in such cases.

Weird... the example_sponza_evening and example_lights scenes have Light Mesh + Mesh Renderer and it works without a problem. Maybe there is something else to it?

Seems like the geometry alone barely fits into 3 GB. The scene is pretty large I guess? Wild guess: do you have a large terrain with lots of painted trees?

39. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm new to this so I hope I get the terms correct. The scene file shows at 862M in its folder (is there a way in Unity to see the scene size?), it's made with a dungeon utility from the store, not any terrain but many trees outlining the quasi-dungeon areas.

40. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

I removed the trees that surrounded the dungeon area, ran bakery and things work just fine! Very nice utility, very fast!

41. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

Well, got things working and this utility is fantastic! Saves me hours versus Unity's built in tools, really nice!
    Untitled16.jpg

Mark_01, guycalledfrank and atomicjoe like this.
  42. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That's a dungeon I would like to live in. Very good :)

43. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

44. Ruonan

Ruonan

Hey, Frank,

Thanks for your great asset, it make our game nicer and pipeline shorter.
    But I got a problem recently. We have to Scene share same model but different light setting.
    It seems lightmap of two scene is conflicted, baking one scene may result in another scene break(looks like it use the new baked lightmap).

Do you know any way we can fix this?

And we are going to move our project to PSVR is there any advise?

Thanks

45. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ahh cool. So I guess the trees were pretty detailed. Previously Bakery didn't even take them into account, but I added them recently in v1.5. If you open ftBuildGraphics.cs you'll find

public static bool exportTerrainTrees = true;

You can set it to false to ignore the trees in the future. I should make it an UI option...

Yeah. Take a look at FAQ. There is a question starting with "Every time I bake the same model in scene A, its UVs become invalid for scene B...".

I'm not aware of any PSVR-related problems.

46. Ermask

Ermask

Just lights and the emissive surfaces are like this already. I have no idea where the problem is.
    Bulb.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  47. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

I know you've commented on distributed baking in the past, but any plan to add basic remote baking? Just exporting the scene on the local PC, sending it over the network to another and running the bake there instead. We have a couple of HP Z VR PCs with P5200s in, would make life a lot easier if we could send the bake off to those and then work on other stuff while the bake occurs without the local PC's GPU being inundated

48. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I love how you casually talk about a "couple" of backpack VR PCs with Quadros on them just lying around. :cool: :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  49. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

That's the one! ;)

atomicjoe likes this.
  50. liudian208

liudian208

upload_2019-2-21_22-13-30.png

Hi, I wonder if the dilation color could be closest pixel color? upload_2019-2-21_22-14-38.png

I was experiencing something like upload_2019-2-21_22-14-59.png