Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Texels per unit are always approximate anyway, since UV layouts can't be stretched, and atlases have resolution limit, so both Enlighten and Bakery may differ in rounding rules they apply. Perhaps the best way to compare the two is:
    - Check Baked Lightmap visualization in scene view - you'll see checker pattern on surfaces, this is the one used as texel size for Enlighten/Progressive.
    - In Bakery window, go to Advanced Settings -> Checker Preview -> Show Checker. This will show Bakery's texel size with current settings.
    Compare the two. Are they significantly different?

It is. With Lightmap Groups the resolution is selected manually in the group object.
    Scale in Lightmap will still work to balance relative size of objects in the atlas.
    All objects will be normalized to atlas size (or at least that's how it should work). The lightmap shouldn't have any large empty holes.

2. mehrankan

mehrankan

Yeah but that's not something that you should not account for anyway, just give the feature to use as many as pcs as we like and whoever tries to use a node on a different continent from which he is living on than that's his problem.
    Really happy to see you get around to doing this btw.

3. adslitw

adslitw

Ah, OK, I missed some errors due to LOD levels being unsupported in a Lightmap group.

However I'm hitting a couple of issues - assigning a group to a terrain seems to break terrain lightmapping, it's just black, and I can't find the "Terrain optimization" setting mentioned in the docs to see if that makes any difference. Secondly assigning groups to different lod levels (e.g. all LOD0 mesh renderers are assigned to a group, LOD1 to a second group) still gives me the "Multiple LOD levels in LMGroup_LOD0, this is not currently supported." error. So I think maybe I'm misunderstanding the error - is there a specific workflow for LODs and groups? Thanks man.

edit: essentially the goal is as few lightmaps as possible - it's a mobile game so every draw call counts!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It's a 1.5 feature. Soon to be released :)

The best workflow is: don't combine them. Are you sure you need to use groups, and for what reason?
    Also a Group component affects all GameObject's children unless they have their own components.

5. adslitw

adslitw

Ah ok, cool, thanks! :)

So as I said above, the goal is to reduce drawcalls as much as possible. As I understand it if objects that could otherwise be batched use different lightmaps that breaks batching - so having one big lightmap is preferable to lots of little ones. I use texture atlases and shared materials extensively so don't want to lose the benefits. That's basically it.

I only use 1 LOD for all objects so faced with the 'multiple LOD levels not supported' error I figured maybe I could have one lightmap for LOD0 (and objects without LODs) and then another lightmap for LOD1 - but I guess not?

6. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

1) Baked lightmap is big as the scene, but the shadowmask is big as occlusion area (the space base).
    2) In Bakery window: the texel is big as the occlusion area (the space base).

1 and 2 are comparable.

Lightmapping completed using 1 texel.
    It took an hour, without stressing the CPU (and my ears).
    The problem is Unity editor: to import the 74 hdr files in Bakeryligmaps dir, it took 21 mins !!!

Lightining panel reports:
    74 non directional lighmaps:73 4096x4096, 2048x2048 - 1,14 GB

guycalledfrank likes this.
  7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Standard atlas packing tries to generate as few atlases as possible. Using Groups won't help here much. LODs can cause more atlases to be generated, because currently different LOD levels can't share the same atlas. It's a limitation that will eventually go away. So far the only way to reduce atlas count is to tweak Min/Max resolution. If Max is high, Bakery will be able to create larger textures that fit more stuff. Increasing Min resolution replace many smallish lightmaps with a few larger ones, but probably not fully filled.

It's a bit trickier than that. It will work only if all these LOD0/LOD1 have same switching distances.
    During scene export, Bakery splits the scene into discrete "global LOD levels". So if you had a scene with:
    - Obj1
    -- LOD0 (50%)
    -- LOD1 (25%)
    -Obj2
    -- LOD0 (40%)
    -- LOD1 (25%)
    There will be actually 4 global LODs. The default one, then 50, 40 and 25. Even though 40 and 50 are both "LOD0", they are considered different. The global LODs are the fast way for Bakery to know for sure which object should cast shadows on which.

Importing/compression is a CPU job that is part of Unity and out of my control :(
    In fact originally I tried to feed Unity with already pre-compressed files, but somehow it still took ridiculous time to import them
    ALSO: there is a bug in the current version that may force Unity to import every map TWICE. This is fixed now. If that was the case, the update will help you.

Mark_01 and frankadimcosta like this.
  8. adslitw

adslitw

Ah-ha! Right, that makes sense. Great stuff, thanks very much for the quick replies!

9. castor76

castor76

Strange.. when I apply a material with emissive map, that is only some part of the mesh is emissive, the whole mesh ended up looking almost unlit... so I thought the actual emission map was not taking into account but the whole mesh became the light source..

Or have I misunderstood this whole thing? Do I need to attach Bakery mesh light component for the emissive material applied mesh? or I don't need to do that the for material with emission map applied? A bit confused!

10. castor76

castor76

Also, for some reason I can't get the shadow mask mode to bake the shadow. I know what shadow mask mode is and what the distance shadowmask does. My directional light works as expected, but not my point light.

I have all my meshes marked as static, my point light is set as mixed. distance shadow mode is disabled. bakey point light component has the bake to shadowmask checked on.

For some reason, it doesn't bake the shadow, but the shadow is still realtime.

So, then I tried Unity CPU progressive mapper, and it all seems to be fine...

Then I switched the baking again using bakery.. now all of sudden, "some" of the lights do bake the shadow, and "some" doesn't. But their settings are exactly the same. ( being the same prefab ) very very weird....

Ok.. so after trying to figure things out, I noticed the following warnings :

Light Point Light (1) can't generate shadow mask (out of channels).
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ftRenderLightmap:SetupLightShadowmaskUsingBitmask(Light, Int32, Int32[]) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2566)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__176:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3352)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2549)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Ok, so it's got to do with some channel issue? Checked my bit mask setting for the lights and they are all 0.. (default?) I tried everything, but nothing works.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  11. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

yeah, it will make procedurally generated lightmapped environments much more feasible. Unfortunately I haven't used 2018.3 so I have no idea, re: nested prefabs :( Will you still support regular prefabs from pre-2018.3?

12. keeponshading

keeponshading

do you have please some more details about the mipmap streaming in special the visual benefits you see with lightmaps?

13. Sanyol

Sanyol

Hello,
    once again thank you for this amazing asset! Could you please suggest me best graphic card for Bakery? I am thinking about GTX 1070 TI 8GB - what do you think?

Thanks!

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Emission works without any components. With built-in materials it's enough to have an emissive map and have it set to baked:

upload_2019-1-29_13-57-11.png

For custom materials: see my previous post.

The difference between using Light Mesh component and regular emission is described in the docs (there is a dedicated chapter).

Yuup it seems shadowmasking got a bit broken after v1.45, and I fixed it for v1.5, releasing soon.

v1.5 does support regular prefabs even in 2018.3.

I'm using GTX 1060 6GB, and it's quite good, but a better card will get you quicker bakes.

15. toto2003

toto2003

Hello, is it possible to bake only the ambient occlusion? so i can reduce the render time .thanks

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Currently not. You can try a single white skylight though, as it works similar to AO with unlimited distance.

toto2003 likes this.
  17. castor76

castor76

i see.. i wish i can get the update soon. i have deadline on 31st this month..

18. adslitw

adslitw

Hey @guycalledfrank - I've changed all LODs to use light probes and I've got the number of lightmaps down to 2, but I can't seem to reduce those final 2 down to 1! I've played with min/max sizes etc... Is there a way to see when / why a new lightmap is generated?

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The best way is to check which objects are using which lightmaps. Is there anything different about them? Or maybe it's just impossible to fit the required amount of objects in a single texture with max resolution?

Sorry! I'll try to send you a patch via PM ASAP.

20. adslitw

adslitw

Hmm, I'll have another look, but as far as I can tell they've got exactly the same settings as elsewhere, and even if I set the min size to 2048 I just get two lightmaps with loads of empty space. Probably a really stupid question, but is there anywhere I can stick a debug.log?

21. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So sounds like there is something splitting the atlas. It can be:
    - Different LOD levels (distances)
    - Objects are in different scenes, and "split by scene" is on.
    That's it... there are no more special rules. If you open ftBuildGraphics.cs and search for "Break autoatlas if lod level changes", you'll see a code block below that comment that does the splitting.

22. adslitw

adslitw

OK, will have a go and report back with an edit, thanks!

So @guycalledfrank, I've had a fiddle. Long story short, if I disable the LODGroup components the bake all goes into 1 lightmap (and since the LODs are not marked static the bake works fine). However with the LODGroup components enabled, I always get a second lightmap. All LODs are set to dynamic, not lightmap static, no shadows, no nothing - I even wrote a quick script to grab all renderers within all LODs to double check! Turning just one of the LODGroups on means I get a second lightmap, which contains more than just that objects lightmap.

So, I guess I can easily hack around it by disabling LODGroups before each bake, but I *think* it might be a bug?

2nd edit: Have repro'd it in a tiny scene with just one LODGroup and a primitive cube.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  23. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Does this asset support multiple cards? I have 4 980GTX TI's in my machine, will it use all four cards?

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

ALRIGHT, v1.5 was submitted! It should be released in 2-3 days (unless Unity folks decide to take it longer).
    Full changelog:

- Terrains now have fast dedicated ray tracing code, allowing for large detailed landscapes with modest baking time/memory footprint.
    - Added global Indirect Boost option.
    - Added option to remove bright edges around shadows sometimes caused by the denoising neural net.
    - Render settings can be saved to prefabs and loaded back.
    - HDRP shader was updated to work with 4.6.0.
    - Painted Terrain Trees now can cast shadows and GI.
    - Added option to store lightmaps in a folder named as the scene.
    - Bakery can be now moved into subfolders
    - "Update skybox probe" now properly refreshes the specular probe as well.
    - Added last bake time indicator to main window.
    - Baking times are now additionally printed to bakery_times.log.
    - Added option to play a sound when the bake is finished.
    - Transparent submeshes without a texture and with alpha < 0.5 will not cast shadows anymore. Useful for e.g. parts of meshes being made of glass.
    - Light probes now always have matching sky lighting to the first Skylight component in the scene.
    - Fixed IES converter (incorrect back lighting).
    - Bakery will now remove the Read-Only flag from files it is going to overwrite (was a problem with some version control systems).
    - Fixed incorrect HDRI intensity in Gamma color space.
    - Fixed incorrect HDRI intensity when using Android platform.
    - Fixed errors when having Light Mesh, Area Light and Mesh Filter/Renderer on the same object.
    - Fixed incorrect rendering sometimes after changing the active scene in a multi-scene setup.
    - Fixed incorrect shadows from very low resolution alpha maps.
    - Fixed alpha maps not working sometimes when there were meshes with no UV0 in the scene.
    - Fixed incorrect cutoff threshold being selected for some alpha maps.
    - Fixed some cases of red/blue lighting on non-lightmapped objects.
    - Fixed lightmaps sometimes being imported twice after baking.
    - Fixed Win32Exception when project path had an apostrophe in it.
    - Fixed ftModelPostProcessor error sometimes showing up during scene export.
    - Fixed early light clipping, especially visible on very bright IES lights.
    - Fixed scene export error sometimes showing when GI VRAM optimization was enabled.
    - Fixed incorrect shadowmask grouping introduced in v1.45.

Special thanks to Andrew Welch (Oculus) and Yuvii for helping me with some features.

Check out these pics:

ftimnation.jpg ftimgnation2.jpg

These are from Monowheels, a game by Imgnation. They have really high resolution terrains, and v1.45 simply refused to bake them. Now it works :)

I think you are right. So you just have a static cube and a dynamic one with a LODGroup and get 2 lightmaps? The one with the static cube and the other with...?

It should. Bakery is based on OptiX, so same rules apply:

I should really add this to FAQ...

25. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

New PC, existing project (but new scene) and I'm getting this. There's no lightprobes or anything in the scene, just static scenery and one direct light.

Any ideas?

upload_2019-1-29_18-0-10.png

26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Can you show more of the log? Anything starting with "Running" before the errors?

27. adslitw

adslitw

So in the scene there is a static floor cube and a LOD object like so:

Parent (LODGroup)
    - LOD0 (Static)
    - LOD1 (Dynamic)

This gives two lightmaps, one with the floor mesh and one with the LOD0. Unfortunately I'm not at my work PC anymore so I can't double check, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a clear 'part of LOD group' and 'NOT part of LOD group' divide between which objects were on which lightmap, which was my initial thought. I think the Log said 'Number of LOD Levels: 1' - if I had to stab in the dark I'd guess 1 LOD group should be equal to no LOD groups, if that makes sense?

Great work on the update by the way! Also, I don't think I've ever typed LOD so many times in one day. LOD LOD LOD.

28. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ah yeah that's sort of correct. Non-LODgrouped cube and static LOD0 have different LOD levels internally (-1 and 0). This is because if you had a valid static LOD1, it would ignore shadows from LOD0 but not from non-LOD geometry. However, in this case it should ideally realize there are no valid LOD1 and join stuff together. I'll try to fix that. Thanks for reporting!

29. keeponshading

keeponshading

.) jump to 0:50

- Added option to play a sound when the bake is finished

30. castor76

castor76

@guycalledfrank With latest patch you have sent, I get the following errors :

Assertion failed on expression: '!go.TestHideFlag(Object::kNotEditable)'
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    <ExportScene>d__140:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:1197)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__190:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3164)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2827)

followed by :

Destroying assets is not permitted to avoid data loss.
    If you really want to remove an asset use DestroyImmediate (theObject, true);
    UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
    ftBuildGraphics:FreeTemporaryAreaLightMeshes() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:826)
    ftRenderLightmap:progressBarEnd(Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:754)
    ftRenderLightmap:DebugLogError(String) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:1601)
    ftBuildGraphics:DebugLogError(String) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:170)
    <ExportScene>d__140:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4203)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__190:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3164)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2827)

then :

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>d__140.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4207)
    ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>d__190.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3164)
    ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2827)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:200)

And it doesn't bake... running on 2018.3.3f1 btw.

-- Edit --

Upon closer inspection, I still find left over mesh filter with no mesh, mesh renderer component attached to the area light. Before baking they are not there, but after failing with errors they are there. They are part of the prefabs (Unity 2018.3.3). Something is not working right with adding and destroying these components inside prefab..

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  31. castor76

castor76

I also get some warnings as :

A polygon of Wall_04_Small_Hole is self-intersecting and has been discarded.

I had a look at the model, but could not find anything particularly wrong with it. Any idea what this warning means and what I should be look for in my models?

Also, I get warning like some uvs are overlapping, but it comes from a mesh that is not being light mapped. ( the mesh is not set static ). But it is a part of the fbx file that has the lightmapped objects in it. So in one fbx file, there is one mesh that has 2nd channel uvmap, and one mesh that has no 2nd channel uvmap. Both of them are used in the same prefab object. Example of this is a lever and a base of lever. Base is marked as static and lever is dynamic so it is not. Bakery gives popup warning for lever not having non overlapping uvs. I suppose I can turn the checking option off or click on ignore/continue but I want to mention it so that the checking option can be properly made to work.

32. castor76

castor76

After getting rid of area light for testing, I was able to bake but..

I also still get some of the same old warning and shadow is not generated for some of my point lights :

Light Point Light (1) can't generate shadow mask (out of channels).
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ftRenderLightmap:SetupLightShadowmaskUsingBitmask(Light, Int32, Int32[]) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2844)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__190:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3636)

33. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Never seen this one before. Googling led me here: https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=19826.0
    "this is error is thrown specifically when a build of the game takes place. Never any other time." - can be related?

Can you clarify the setup? Do you have a single prefab with a Unity Light set to area AND Light Mesh component, running on 2018.3? Is it enough to cause this, or is there something else?

This is Unity warning it shows when importing models, not Bakery's.

Do you have more than 4 overlapping shadowmasked lights?

34. castor76

castor76

The link you have provided for the assertion... if you read the thread, it sounds like definitely related.

"
    Hi,
    check this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bug-problem-with-indirectly-adding-components.544168/
    apparently you are doing something that is now not allowed anymore.
    "

So bakery is trying to add component to the prefab asset and it is failing there. Probably to do with recent nested prefab stuff?

I have area light (Unity) with Light Mesh Component attached to it. ( Set it up as described in the document )
    It's part of prefab which is part of larger parent prefab to make up the level.

As for the more than 4 overlapping point lights, yes this may be possible in my set up. They are not placed so that they need to lit the same area with more than 4 lights, but they are placed in between walls and floors. And yes ofcourse they can overlap. Is this known limitation?

35. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks, I'll check that.

Yes: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightMode-Mixed-Shadowmask.html
    "up to 4 overlapping lights. If more than 4 lights overlap, any additional lights fall back to Baked Lighting"

Although unlike Unity, Bakery doesn't auto-switch them to non-shadowmasked but shows a error instead (I prefer that to getting random lights baked differently to what I expect)

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

v1.5 is on the store!

upload_2019-1-30_14-0-14.png

keeponshading, Mark_01 and atomicjoe like this.
  37. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Updated to last version 1.5 and i have this error- Previous version was OK.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:4141)

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Do'h...
    Add this line before the mentioned one:

if (mats[k] == null) continue;

39. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Now error is not arising but lightmapper freezes "Exporting scene - preparing". Last file wrote in temp dir is "alphaid.bin" (Pressing Cancel don't work)

40. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

No errors at all? Complete editor freeze?

41. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Which one? .uvgblog.txt or .ftracelog.txt?

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The one on the screenshot.
    But I'm 90% sure it was denoiser. Try updating the driver.

43. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

No errors, editor works, but cancel button have no response. Popup is modal and it closed only afetr closing unity editor.

44. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

NVIDIA drivers? Will do. Here's the log in the meantime, looks like the denoiser! Perhaps worth putting in a handler to suggest driver upgrades?

upload_2019-1-30_15-10-50.png

45. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

If you can, get an RTX2080. Bake times are 50% of a GTX1080.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Seems like I didn't fix this one correctly. Fixed properly now.

It's in the FAQ! Although error code was usually different.

castor76, I fixed Area Light + Light Mesh + 2018.3 case.

Let's try something new. I opened a private github repository with always up-to-date patches. So instead of waiting for every Asset Store release or relying on me sending 100 different versions to 100 different people by different means, how about this:
    - Send me your invoice number and github username in PM and ask for github access.
    - Download every tiny update without waiting or asking.

47. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thanks for this golden 1.5 release.
    Ganz grosses Kino.
    It s time to give a call to NVidia.) or Unity Headquarters.

48. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

hello was just looking over my first time use of the latest baker specular shader for use with glass textures .. could someone give a recommended setting starting point for the bakery options (e.g. baking Glass best practice) on type
    faded glass. i am looking to use this on a number of objects windows, glass shelfs, bottles, picture frames …

49. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hey.
    To mix different lightmap bakes works great here in the Standard plus for custom ones.

It gives you endless possibilities to do nice stuff.
    Open close doors. Indirect lighting areas on/off. Works even great to do crazy stuff with leaves on a tree when animated.

Are there some textures slots left.)

When not save them to a flipbook (VisualEffectGraph has some tools to build them) or a volume texture.) for a complete day night cycle.

mcjptk, Tudor and guycalledfrank like this.
  50. keeponshading

keeponshading

Mark_01 and atomicjoe like this.