Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Indeed, it doesn't. It's expected you do it yourself.
    Unity only got API to mark lights as baked around 2017.4. I can use it there, but then I need 2 different pipelines for pre- and post-2017.4, and people will likely get confused in the end.
    I found it's not too hard to disable lights manually, and it keeps the workflow consistent.
    Or maybe I should just add a checkbox for post-2017.4 versions to enable auto-disabling behaviour.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This issue has confused me time and time again. I bake my scene, but when it's done it looks as if nothing happened. Manually disabling the unity light components is the fix, but it's a pain with interior scenes. Bakery will still bake the lights correctly regardless of the state of the unity light component, but it'd be nice if Bakery's light component managed it better.

Mark_01, atomicjoe and guycalledfrank like this.
  3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Alright, alright. Will improve this one :)

Mark_01, atomicjoe and QuantumTheory like this.
  4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Also, skinned meshes aren't being disabled when rendering lightprobes, so the lightprobes end up contaminated by the skinned meshes.
    When you have lot's of lightprobes, it's easy for one to fall into or very near the skinned meshes, rendering that lightprobe black.
    Manually disabling the skinned mesh fixes it.
    Other dynamic objects are automatically disabled when rendering lightprobes, but skinned renderers aren't.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  5. danidiazr

danidiazr

Hey!

This asset looks very nice! I'm starting using it for a VR project. I have one question, I've got one error:

"Error 1282: Memory allocation failed (Function _rtContextLaunch2D) caught exception: Out of memory"

What does this mean? When using 10 texels per unit in auto atlasing it's good, but when I use 50 texels, it crashes.

I'm missing something?

Thanks!

6. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hello! You're out of video memory, just like it says. You can:
    - Set "GI VRAM optimization" to "Force On" in Advanced settings. It was reported this option sometimes doesn't work, but I was unable to debug it (don't have any repro scene).
    - Or just lower the resolution. 50 texels is good for archviz purposes, but not for cities/large worlds. You can tweak Scale In Lightmap on mesh renderers to improve certain objects without using high resolution on everything.

7. Loards

Loards

Sure, here is the escene, with just baked light and a Dinamic object selected: upload_2018-12-5_18-21-57.png

Then doing the "bake light probes" got this error (this one is new)
    upload_2018-12-5_18-24-14.png
    upload_2018-12-5_18-34-55.png
    The blue line is what appears when the error happens.

And now i can only bake light probes with the "occlusion probes" active, without it i get the above error.

nothing changed in the project from yesterday hmmm.

Also, this happens in any project or escene.

EDIT: i updated my nvidia drivers yesterday, i don't know if that might be the problem i aldso noted that the baking takes longer.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ouch. I'm gonna check if newest drivers break anything. Can you also send me your .ftracelog.txt (or better, just copy me ~10 last lines right after the crash)?

... it seems like 417.22 driver might be bugged:
    https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1070601212444200960
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/a2pmmn/driver_41722_faqdiscussion/

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. Loards

Loards

Ok, i did a rollback in the drivers, and that seems to not be the problem, but in a blank project the baker works fine, i dont know what might be the problem. The .ftracelog.txt where i can find it?

The only thing that comes to my mind is that in the 2018.3 version of unity. But that wasn't a problem 2 days ago.

EDIT: ok, apparently is escene related problem, in my project escene and sponza the frender problem happens, in a blank escene does not BUT the light probes are not being baked if the Occlusion probe group is not active though.

Here a couple of gif:
    First one is baking Light Probes without the Occlusion probes active, you can see the dynamic sphere not receiving any lighting.

Second one is using the Occlusion Probes feature active. You can see that in this case, light Probes are baked correctly.

thanks.

Attached Files:

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It's in Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery

11. Loards

Loards

ok, there is no log in there. (also i edited the post above with a couple of gif)

OK! i got the problem! i was able to track down, it's kind of long explanation i think:

Using the Direct light map mode and having the option of "Bake Indirect" in the directional light ative, makes the the frenderer error WHEN baking light probes without the occlusion probes active

If i deactivate the bake indirect option from the directional light, the frenderer error does not appear BUT the Light Probes are still unbaked.

Having occlusion probes active makes work everything all right in both cases.

This is the combination.

upload_2018-12-6_16-41-40.png

Mark_01 and guycalledfrank like this.
  12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It's certainly there, but it's not visible in Unity, that's the thing. Just use regular windows explorer :)
    Anyway, it's not needed now, after your further discoveries.

I suspect it kinda doesn't work in both cases. With the occlusion probes checkbox it forces Enlighten/Progressive to bake occlusion data (there is no other way to alter it), but it also initializes color data as well. Then, Bakery performs its regular lightprobe rendering process, but if it doesn't work, you still get something valid in the probes.

Can you check if example scenes work? That would at least tell if the problem is scene-related or project/version-related.

Aha, interesting. I'm gonna debug that. Thanks!

13. Loards

Loards

1) Weird, i had to have the explorer window open and bake the light in order to get the t.t generated
    2) This behavior is in every scene, new escene or even empty project with just bakery, tested in unity 2018.3.0b11 BUT in 2018.2.0f2 behaves as it should, so i think that these problems are just 2018.3 related.

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Most likely yes - thanks for confirming. I would suggest to stick to non-beta versions for stability.

15. aeldred28

aeldred28

upload_2018-12-6_23-18-26.png When compared to unity progressive or enlighten bakes, Bakery does not seem to have the same kind of indirect contribution on surrounding shadows that Unity is producing for me. I see that Bakery doesn't have a universal slider for indirect intensity, is that going to change in a future update?

Also, is it absolutely required that the bakery component be used on unity lights for bakes to work, or does the asset understand the settings applied to the unity lights like default unity bakers do?

Left is Bakery and Right is Unity progressive. Bakery is on full-bake.

As a side-note: Bakery Lightmapping has become instrumental to my team's project. I've been converting our game to use it entirely for a good while now and my greatest issue with the workflow is how long it takes to see slight changes to intensity values when working on complex environments. Is it at all possible in the future to have some sort of ultra-low res real-time visualization of the raytracing so that small intensity changes can be seen before committing to a long 5-20minute test bake? Or any other kind of speedy solution for testing small edits?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. CoastKid

CoastKid

Good day, Guycalledfrank .
    In my project, I use low-resolution cutout alpha textures (16x16) with point filtering.
    After baking light, shadows from cutout materials look very transparent and smeared, almost invisible sometimes.
    It seems that during the calculation of shadows in Optix, resolution of alpha textures for cutout materials is greatly reduced.
    I tried using a higher resolution texture and the problem was gone, but I can not switch alpha textures for light baking and back all the time.
    Could this be fixed somehow?

17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Looks odd indeed. What shader are you using on your geometry (perhaps Bakery can't recognize its Meta Pass and can't get albedo information)? Also how many bounces did you set?
    Indirect intensity is currently per-light. It's very easy to add a global multiplier though - I can make a quick patch for you, if urgent (send me a PM).

The components are necessary, yes. You can use "match to real-time" button to copy the values though. You can do it for multiple selected lights at once.
    I'm planning to improve this a bit by:
    - Providing a conversion wizard.
    - Adding a live sync option, so components will auto-copy the values without having to press a button manually.

As previously mentioned, I'm going to add a fast camera preview :)

Alpha textures use original resolution. I wonder if they were smeared via texture compression or even by denoising. If you can send me the texture, I'll debug!

atomicjoe, Mark_01 and CoastKid like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Just started working with the Bakery addon, and already liking it greatly! :)
    Just a quick question on the SkyLight.
    I have the regular SkyLight setup, and a Bakery Skybox with a HDRI attached.
    I can see the HDRI in the scene, and it renders fine, but I can't find how to rotate it, also in the view.

According to the docs you can rotate the SyLight, but I want to have my environment visibily rotate as well.

Maybe I'm overlooking something basic here?

cheers!

rob

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi :)
    Yes, you can rotate the SkyLight gameobject itself, and it will affect baked lighting. To preview the rotated skybox in the scene you can hit "Match scene skybox to this light": it will set the skybox material to a rotated one.

20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

BTW, I've just fixed it. I can send you (and anyone interested) a patch.

atomicjoe and Loards like this.
  21. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I'm using bakery for my game yet I had to rush a 3d layout of a home we may move in and it has been amazing to test the different layouts with such a neat lighting baked in few minutes per iteration.

Attached Files:

wd521wd, guycalledfrank and macdude2 like this.
  22. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

my fav design ins this one.

Geat excuse to try latest version, overall stable, yet sometims hiting bake would trow err on console while next bake hit would simply bake.

Attached Files:

guycalledfrank and macdude2 like this.
  23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

This is really nice!

Which error?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, Yes, now it works :)
    Strangely it didn't before.

Very happy with the speed of workflow. Thanks for creating Bakery!

rob

25. Sanyol

Sanyol

Hello,
    your solution is looking really great! Could you please let me know how I can set up "transparent" quad like a window to pass the directional light? For example the window?

26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi, thanks! Currently the best thing to do is just disable shadow casting for windows, as semi-transparent shadows are not supported.

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. Sanyol

Sanyol

oh, great idea :) Thanks!

ps. I can't believe the lighting quality!!

28. xibanya

xibanya

Bakery used to work for me, but it's suddenly stopped. I keep getting a Denoiser 505 error. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin (both the top level and Editor folders) and deleted all Bakery data but no dice. It won't complete a bake even in a scene with a single light and one cube. Any suggestions?

if it helps, I only got two error messages in the console, both are this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    3. Parameter name: index
    4. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Int32].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    5. ftModelPostProcessor.AdjustUV (UnityEngine.Transform t) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:202)
    6. ftModelPostProcessor.AdjustUV (UnityEngine.Transform t) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:228)
    7. ftModelPostProcessor.OnPostprocessModel (UnityEngine.GameObject g) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:64)
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    9. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    12. UnityEditor.AttributeHelper.InvokeMemberIfAvailable (System.Object target, System.String methodName, System.Object[] args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AttributeHelper.cs:161)
    13. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessMesh (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:419)
    14. UnityEditor.AssetImporter:SaveAndReimport()
    15. <ExportScene>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:2026)
    16. <RenderLightmapFunc>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2886)
    17. ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2549)
    18. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The only known reason this error can happen is an old GPU driver. I even added it to FAQ now. Just try updating it.

30. JeffWTD

JeffWTD

I would also very much like a feature like this to be implemented. I spent the better part of today trying to find a way to do this. Your workaround doesnt seem to work for me, when I put shadow samples on 0 It doesnt seem to bake the light at all for me.
    I am developping a game that mostly is located in caves and having the cave be lit just that small amount ambiently makes it playable instead of having to put lights everywhere.
    If you have any other idea on how I can tackle this issue, please give me a shout! :D

31. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

How I boosted the light in the appartment scene is with post procesing. Simply cranck up the exposure.

32. xibanya

xibanya

Yep, that did it!

33. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Well I love black caves in games. Witcher 1 did it right, they were just really pitch black, so the night vision potion actually made sense unlike W2 and W3 :D

The hack seems to work for me though. Did you use Bakery Direct Lights or something else?
    That said, it seems I'll have to add a proper flat ambient option anyway, given how many people wish it!

upload_2018-12-10_0-12-28.png

Mark_01 and JeffWTD like this.
  34. BeyondInfiniti

BeyondInfiniti

Hi. Would it be possible to add an option to prevent Bakery from automatically enabling Mixed Lighting in the Lighting tab? I have a very large scene with a lot of GI that keeps trying to update the materials in the editor causing it to slow down when Mixed Lighting is enabled, and it re-enables itself at runtime because of Bakery.

35. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi, do you mean the "Baked Global Illumination" checkbox? I kinda thought Unity needs it to use lightmaps. But it seems unnecessary when they're applied via scripts... hmmmm.... I'll investigate further, but for now, yes you can certainly prevent Bakery from enabling it. Take a look at ftLightmaps.cs and ftRenderLightmap.cs. Each of these files has a line:

Lightmapping.bakedGI = true;

Just remove it.

36. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

BUG !!!

Baking an huge scene, i cannot stop Bakery GPU Lightmapper, I tried pressing CANCEL button, but it was not responding. But the HUGE problem is that it FILLED my hard disk. I have to terminate Unity Editor process and manually delete the 65 G written by Bakery GPU Lightmapper.

37. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

A "strange" request. Are you planning a "shared" lighmapping over local net, and, maybe, over internet ?
    I dream a "club" of Bakery GPU Lightmapper users sharing their GPUs power over the (inter)net.

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

What text was on the progress bar when it happened?

Perhaps the resolution was HUGE as well? But I agree, it should auto-clean itself.

This is not trivial to implement - especially given the amount of data to transfer. It's probably quicker to bake than to send gigabytes back and forth over the net. It could make sense on a LAN though, but it's a massive effort, and I'm not sure there are enough people with multiple connected PCs to appreciate it.

39. BeyondInfiniti

BeyondInfiniti

Yes, I meant "Baked Global Illumination". It is necessary for lightmaps, but I don't plan on using Baked or Mixed Lighting/GI for this specific scene so I don't need it.

I'll give the code changes a go. Thanks.

EDIT: It works.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  40. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

1) BUG: The progress was 55% of the scene exporting step.
    2) SHARED BAKE:I think it's better to transfer only the computing work.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/technologies/virtual-gpu/

41. aeldred28

aeldred28

How do I get bakery to render just one light and not the rest in a lightmap? Is that a feature that has been implemented?

42. evanidul

evanidul

Howdy,
    Just purchased yesterday and so far, I've gotten pretty good results on lower textel bakes. I bumped it up to 100 textels and 6 bounces and got an oom error though. It was during "Rendering GI bounce 0", ftrace, Error[1282]: Memory allocation failed (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2d" caught exception: Out of memory). Anyway, it's a cool tool so thought I'd ping ya. Not really sure if I need to bake on such a high setting but thought you'd might be interested in the error. I have decent machine so doesn't seem like it should oom on this. nvidia 1070 8g, 32 gigs of ram, Unity 1017.1.of3. Scene was Finward Studios Neighborhood asset. Small demo scene with 7 or so indoor point lights.

43. evanidul

evanidul

also, before baking at 100 textels, I baked a copy of that scene at 50. It worked, however, when I loaded the copy at 50, it seems the lighting data was corrupted by the failed bake at 100. Is that expected? Just curious cuz basically I'd like to experiment with different bake settings, but after a successful bake, I'd like to save a copy of the good scene for reference so I can compare what scenes look like with different bake settings. Is there a way to do this?

44. lilmatsix

lilmatsix

I've been loving bakery so far, it has helped improve my workflow by a lot and increases the quality of my scenes.

I'm happy you got directional lightmapping implemented but I've been holding off on SH directional mode because I always get these strange lightmaps in some areas. There's a yellow hue outside of the range zone and red discoloration in the shadow.

I attached a photo to show what I'm coming across (this light is being emitted by a bakery point light)

Attached Files:

45. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You can actually do that, but there are few limitations:

- You need to bake the full scene first. That will initialize data in Bakery's temp folder. You should not bake any other scene after it. Basically it works if you do "Scene1 full bake -> Scene1 partial bake", but will not work in case of "Scene1 full bake -> Scene2 full bake -> Scene1 partial bake".

- Go to Experimental mode and uncheck "Export geometry and maps" and "Update unmodifed lights":

upload_2018-12-11_12-31-36.png

- Hit Render. It should skip scene exporting and all other lights and go straight to the lights you changed. GI, denoising and seam fixing will repeat as usual though.

So if you, for example, have a scene with Direct + Skylight + Point and you only changed Point light color, then it will skip Direct and Skylight.

Try setting GI VRAM optimization to Force On in advanced settings. This is exactly why it exists :)

If the "Adjust UV padding" checkbox is on (default), then before baking it will try to reunwrap models using optimal padding values (there is more about it in the docs). If it crashed during the bake, then you don't have new lightmaps, but models are still left with UVs optimized for 100.
    You can actually get them back to the way they were when you baked at 50.
    Set Texels to 50, then go to Experimental settings and uncheck everything except for "Export geometry and maps" and "Adjust UV padding":

upload_2018-12-11_13-0-23.png

This will re-atlas the scene, find the correct padding again (optimized for 50 in your case) and re-unwrap the models. It won't bake anything, but your previous lightmaps should now map correctly.

Ahh yes, I noticed such things happening in very dark areas sometimes (BTW, it should never happen to RNM, so you can still use it instead of classic directional).
    I think I actually fixed it before though... is there an easy way to get this artefact? If you can send me a sample scene with this problem, I'll debug :)

StenCG likes this.
  46. samdpt

samdpt

Hi again @guycalledfrank , I want to say that this baker is soooo beautiful and is giving me incredible results, and your continued support is so appreciated.

I'm posting two screenshots to show a new issue i'm facing. I did bring it up before and you told me to change the HDR resolution to 256 which I have. That worked. This issue looks similar but I don't think it's the same cause. They look like noise/fireflies. The rest of the scene looks great, but this ceiling is giving me trouble.

The scene is lit with an HDR skylight with 32 samples, directional light 16 samples, and a 10 point lights with 16 samples. The scene relies a lot on indirect lighting also.

I attached a screenshot of the Bakery settings as well. Thank you!!

Note: Chrome crashes when I try to upload a file so I put the screenshots in my google drive, link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z7O7-dDcKIVX_a9_K69-Y-7kEEVBRd0I?usp=sharing

47. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ah, interesting. With so many light sources it's hard to guess the cause, but my bet would be on some tiny but very bright surfaces somewhere on the bottom part of the scene. I assume Sky and Direct lights don't give too much light here, so perhaps point lights are guilty? How bright are they and how are they positioned?

48. samdpt

samdpt

Well the Skylight intensity is set at 40, with an indirect of 6.
    Directional intensity is set at 30 with an indirect of 1.5.

Pointlights are at 8 intensity with indirect of 1.

I tried baking without the pointlights and the problem still exists.

EDIT: @guycalledfrank so I narrowed the issue down to the HDR Skylight. I had a plan with a pure white material that seemed to bounce back a very pixellated light. I changed the material of the plane to a dark grey to see what was happening and the attached screenshot shows this.

When I removed the HDR cubemap and just set a solid Skylight color, these pixelated things go away. So it's clearly an issue with my use of HDR lighting. I have Compression set to None on my cubemap, and it's set at 256, samples are 32. What do you think?? thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  49. Foxdeimos

Foxdeimos

Hey there! First of all, I'd like to say I really, really do love this asset. Reducing baking times from upwards of an hour to just two or three minutes for the same scene sure makes one hell of a difference, and I am very, very satisfied with my purchase.

Still, I'm facing a bit of an issue that I'm not quite sure how to approach. I'm working on a rather large project for a client, and I'm working along with a team of other developers. They don't have their own copy of Bakery, but I need to share the scenes I'm working on through version control (We're using BitBucket as our current repository control), so I followed the instructions on the documentation and uploaded to version control only the files that would be necessary for someone without the asset to open the scenes on their end.

Well, one of my co-workers has downloaded the latest version of the project, and he sent me a screenshot of a rather severe issue he's encountered:

As you can see, that scene's lightmap is present and accounted for in the project's folders, but somehow the scene has lost all references to the lightmap. There's a similar issue with the skybox, too, that doesn't seem to be displaying correctly. We're currently running the project on Unity 2018.2.14f1, and I'm using the latest version of Bakery. I'm honestly not sure what the exact issue might be, I'm currently talking with said co-worker and we're exploring our options, but I'd certainly appreciate it if you could shed some light on the issue. Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

50. evanidul

evanidul

Heya,

Previously was getting oom for high quality bakes (100 textels). Set GI Vram to "Force On" as advised. No more oom error, but baking at 70 textels and 100 textels produced light maps that are completely black. However, baking the same scene at 10 or 50 textels yields decent results. Not sure why baking at higher settings leads to complete darkness.