Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'm not aware of any solution. It seems to be a bug added in 2018.3: https://forum.unity.com/threads/modifying-data-shown-in-baked-lightmaps-open-preview.617620/
    Basically it looks like Unity now only draws its own lightmaps in this view (coming from LightingDataAsset) and not external ones. I'd be glad to help, but it is out of my control.

To check for UV overlaps, I recommend using my shader: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#UV_Debug_Shader

To check for texel sizes, use Checker Preview: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Checker_preview

Hmmm, very nice! I should really take a look into it and improve my old prefab logic.

Hmmm? Can you show a screenshot?

Right. So it seems like this new prefab function doesn't save them when they are assets, not scene instances. I've just added
    EditorUtility.SetDirty(obj);

after
    PrefabUtility.RecordPrefabInstancePropertyModifications(obj);

in that file I sent you, and it seems to work (also updated github repo).

It should, but it's imperfect :(. I'm preparing to rewrite it right now.
    You can try tweaking it though. In ftBuildGraphics.cs there are variables:

const float atlasScaleUpValue = 1.01f;
    const int atlasMaxTries = 100;

The way it works is simple - it tries to fill the whole square with object layouts; if there are too much empty space, it scales the layouts by atlasScaleUpValue, then tries again. If they don't fit, it divides them down by the same value.
    Initial layout scale is calculated from total triangle area.
    Anyway, for now you can try increasing atlasMaxTries (500?), possibly changing atlasScaleUpValue (1.005? 1.2?) and checking if it yields better results.

-----

I did some massive refactoring of the scene export code today - please test the latest github version, if you can.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. keeponshading

keeponshading

Do everything to keep up and improve service and development.
    The preview is another game changer.

extension name suggestions...
    Taste Now
    Taste of Now
    or simply
    Taste

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    guycalledfrank likes this.
  3. Craaaaak

Craaaaak

Newbie reporting!
    So,I've opened up a fresh project with Bakery imported and switched between color spaces.The direcional lighmap result seems kind of weird.
    comp.png Have I done something wrong here?Or maybe this is the way it should look like in diffrent color spaces?
    By the way, the result in GammaSpace seems alot better than that of LinerSpace.

4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'll be more boring and straightforward and just call it RTPreview :D
    Or is it... too boring? :confused:
    TBH, original name for Bakery was just "ftrace" (main exe is still ftrace.exe; also that's why script names still start with "ft"), but it turned out there is already some tool with the same name, so I had to make up something different.

All example projects are baked in Linear Space and I recommend using Linear everytime. In fact, new pi

No.

"Better" is subjective. It's just specular looks more intense for some reason. Linear is the correct version. You can make specular more intense in Linear as well by tweaking material smoothness.

5. Acissathar

Acissathar

I had a quick question, that I believe should be possible, but I want to double check before going through with a purchase.

My main dev PC has an AMD card, however, I have access to another PC with a 750ti and a laptop with a 970m. Can I use either of those to bake the lightmaps and then import them into the project on the PC with the AMD card and have it look as expected?

6. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You should be able to use Network Baking for that or just copy files in a regular fashion (then read this)

Acissathar likes this.
  7. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    I'm doing some tests on 2019.3.2.f1, I have created a new project and only imported Bakery, I open the example "example_sponza_evening" and after rendering the lightmaps and rendering Light Probe, I save the scene, and at the subsequent reopening of the scene, light probe was not saved, if I deselect "Occlusion Probe" the saving is performed correctly.

8. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Good news everyone! Atlasing was significantly improved. You can now select xatlas in Experimental -> Atlas Packer for possibly better and definitely faster packing and also enable "Post-packing" option that combines LODs/terrains, reducing atlas count.

As an example, I have a nature scene from @keeponshading Lots of models, lots of LODGroups.
    Current 1.65 does this:

upload_2020-2-23_1-21-15.png

New github version does this:

upload_2020-2-23_1-21-34.png

Notes:
    - Atlas packer can be defined both globally or per-LMGroup
    - "Override resolution" option is only supported in the original atlas packer.
    - Manually created LMGroups still can't contain different LODs. Automatically generated atlases can.
    - Post-packing option reduces final texture count, but doesn't reduce bake time.
    - xatlas may possibly make some stray lightmaps larger than needed, as it's only able to pack shapes into equally-sized textures (Bakery's default packer changes atlas size dynamically).
    - Using xatlas as Unwrapper and as Atlas Packer are two different options! Unwrapper is used when Adjust UV Padding is on, to re-unwrap your models; Atlas Packer is used every time to pack large texture atlases out of individual mesh UV layouts. Altas Packer does not affect model assets, their meta files, does not need to run on other machines receiving the project, etc.

As usual, this update can be downloaded from my github repos.
    I really encourage you to try it, especially if you had the "too many lightmaps because of LODs" situation.

Next I'll look into prefabs again (including nesting) and will finish RTPreview. New store release is getting closer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    marenin, keeponshading and xVergilx like this.
  9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmmm. How did you realize they were not saved? Light probes for the sponza scene are included in the package. If you rebake the scene, did they change? After you reopened it, were they missing? Was your lighting data asset missing?

upload_2020-2-23_1-30-9.png

10. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    after some tests, I can report some more info:
    After deleting the lighting data from the bakery menu and from the lighting panel, I have rendered the lighting maps, select "Occlusion probes" and render Light Probes, in the scene editor everything seems correct, but if I enter in play mode it is not loaded correctly , with file name "LightingData", if I deselect "Occlusion probes" everything works as it should with file name "example_sponza_evening2_371857150_probes", if I render Light Probes again the file name is not overwritten but a new one is created with file name "example_sponza_evening2_371857150_copy". I attach some images, however somehow it works ..

OcclusionProbes.jpg

11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Indeed, it seems something is broken with Occlusion Probes + Legacy light probes + New Unity versions combo.
    Can you try setting probe mode to L1? Seems to still work. I will investigate the legacy problem in the meantime.

upload_2020-2-23_10-17-40.png

EDIT: actually I think I fixed it. Fix is on github now. You can also fix it yourself, just go to ftRenderLightmap.cs and look for

probes.bakedProbes = shs;

Then add this line after it:

EditorUtility.SetDirty(probes);

Somehow it worked without it before 2019.3 :confused:

12. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

hi @guycalledfrank ,ive noticed there is no rotation option for bakery skybox like unity skybox . plz add that in next version

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

???
    It is even more flexible actually! You can rotate by all axes :D

upload_2020-2-23_10-50-20.png

keeponshading and r8zbeh like this.
  14. Apollo75

Apollo75

As a beginner i am trying lightmapping a scene. I am working on a mobile game. Open world racing game. Unity defaults lightmapping give some bad normals and it increase lightmap data upto 90mbs. Its too high for mobile. I am using bakery for lightmapping. But my scene does not looks so global illumantion as beast lightmapping. Is that possible to make a step by step process like video or tutorials? And also will Default specular shader will work after lightmapping in bakery? And possibly atlasing lightmap for small size?

thanks

15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Global illumination can't be "so". It either works or it doesn't. Maybe you were artificially boosting indirect lighting in Beast? You can do it as well in Bakery. Any screenshots?

If my memory serves me right, the only artifical tweak that Beast had and Bakery doesn't is manually tweakable saturation.

Bad normals can only be caused by your geometry having bad normals, or perhaps you are using a wrong term.
    Lightmap data size is mainly dependent on unwrapping efficiency. If UVs are inefficient, no lightmapper can make it better.

Bakery offers xatlas as an optional unwrapper and now also for atlas packing, but I can't guarantee that it will 100% make your UVs awesome. Worth giving it a try though.

Is there anything particular you want to know but can't find?

Default Unity shaders do not support baked specular, but using Bakery shaders along with appropriate directional modes will work: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Directional_mode

You can also ask folks around in Bakery Discord about their experience/approaches

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  16. Apollo75

Apollo75

Thank you so much. I will include screenshot of my project

17. Apollo75

Apollo75

Problem is
    For example, when i bake single object it seems fine. But when i attached few objects and then bake it with 512 or 256 resulations it shows some bad black rays like spots. Is it my model problem? Or else?

i am using 3dsmax for modeling.

object means buildings, road, pavements.

18. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

With Unity's lightmapper or with Bakery? Screenshots will help.

19. Apollo75

Apollo75

here is some. But this problem does not occur when i bake objects seprately

Attached Files:

20. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    I updated to the version on github, and after some tests I can report some info:
    The good news is that by deselecting "Occlusion probes" it still works, I tried with the L1 method that it is much faster, however selecting "Occlusion probes" it does not work in play mode and if I use the Legacy mode by entering play mode switch to L1, I attach some pictures
    OcclusionProbes1.jpg OcclusionProbes2.jpg

21. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Hi, I'm trying to use Bakery in a project involving a very large scale environment, that is a city generated with Fantastic City Generator (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/fantastic-city-generator-157625).

Right now I was able to do the bake just for small portions of the city, while doing the bake for bigger parts (not to say the whole city in one go) fails after a while, I guess for memory issues.

Moreover, I learned that when I do the bake on a part of the environment, that destroys my previous bakes, even if i switch off the "static" flag on the game objects I already did the render, so it seems I can't even proceed by partial bakes at a time to render the whole environment.

So, generally speaking, is there some rules I should follow to bake a large scale scene in one go? And is it somehow possibile to split the bake in an incremental way, as I was trying to do?

Of course, I'll appreciate very much any other suggestion about it.

I'm working on Unity 2019.2.17, with 32GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 card with 3GB.

22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So I've just modified xatlas code a bit, and now I can pack pre-built UV layouts to atlases treating them as single charts... meaning hole filling works! Even if your models are unwrapped with Unity, combined atlases are much more efficient now:

Landed on github today. Pls test :)

upload_2020-2-24_14-49-37.png

These look totally like overlapping UVs to me. Can you check this model with my UV debug shader? https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Community_extensions#UV_Debug_Shader

Weird, I couldn't reproduce it with sponza this time. Can you? Maybe there is some other factor that's different between your scene and sponza?

upload_2020-2-24_15-11-40.png

To be honest, I don't think it is even the right idea to use lightmapping for an environment of this size. Just imagine how many texels you need to cover it with decent quality...

Yes, if you bake a scene, previous lightmapping information for this scene is reset.

In this case: don't. I don't have a good advice how to make it work. Even if you do, the amount of lightmaps will be insane, not for you, but for the end user (aka player). Some games (e.g. Mafia 1 and 2) only had roads/terrains lightmapped, while most buildings and props used real-time lighting + simple per-vertex AO. GTA4-5 only uses per-vertex baking (for sky/bounce occlusion and distant lights).

23. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

@guycalledfrank Thank you for your fast answer.

In fact, even my partial, failed attempts, produced an insane 150GB cache, and I seem to recall that launching a full-scene bake had an initial warning about way more than 100 textures to be generated, so your answer clarifies a lot.

I think I'll have a go with a mixed approach, a partial bake + per-vertex baking, as you suggested, tanx a lot!

24. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    You're right, in the sponza scene it works, maybe I understood what the problem could be: the model is a mesh with 4 subMaterials.
    I rendered the lighting using Progressive CPU / GPU and it works, in the sponza scene I added the model and some LightProbe around and it doesn't work.
    I attach the test scene with the 3d model, every update of unity is a pain.

Thanks for the support
    TestProbes.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Source-technology

Source-technology

shut up and take my money

takemymoney.jpg

26. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

For anyone wondering about RTX performance: I just bought an RTX 2080 TI. One level in particular was completed in 17 minutes at 12.5 texels, 50 samples and 4k max resolution (16 maps total). The same level was completed in about 2 hours on a GTX 1080.

Not sure if anything else is going that may have improved performance but in either case that was a drastic improvement (7x faster?!). So far that performance has been fairly consistent with all the levels I've baked.

Conclusion: can highly recommend RTX cards.

27. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not sure how, but your scene was broken for some reason, apparently having multiple storage objects. I did "Clear baked data" a couple of times, then rendered with L1+Occlusion Probes, and it worked.

Wow! That's beyond my measurements. Maybe you also had more VRAM? Or... terrains?

28. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    I updated to the latest version of unity (2019.3.3), updated to the latest version on github, downloaded ftDebugSelect.cs on the "Debug Tools" wiki page, but it still doesn't work for me ... where am I wrong? I made a video, can you see it to tell me where I'm wrong?

Thanks for the support

29. Workaround-Games

Workaround-Games

Hello,
    Recently I'm trying to rebake a scene using Bakery (we were using unity's progressive CPU), but there is something wrong going on in our walls, they are not reacting properly to any bakery light, and they get massive shadows in the middle of their surface.
    I uploaded a image with the problem in question (and relevant configurations that i could think off).

Even if i change the material, the problem persists, so it is something wrong in our geometry, our 3D modeler got no clue about what's wrong, and i'm in the dark too.

Does anyone here knows what's happening in our scene?

Attached Files:

30. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    It seems that the map coordinates are missing, if they have not been created in an application such as 3ds max make sure that "Generate Lightmaps UV" is selected in the import panel of the model.

31. Workaround-Games

Workaround-Games

Ohhh... thanks, that was it!

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Really weird. All I did was "Bakery -> Utilities -> Clear baked data", and it worked. Maybe something about your Unity version or project settings?

Speaking of these:

upload_2020-2-27_14-25-32.png

It is an inevitable problem spherical harmonics have (especially L1, as they have less coefficients). Higher the contrast, more visible it will be. However, Bakery shader has a Non-linear Light Probe SH option that fixes it during sampling (based on this Geomerics paper). Other option would be to blur probe contents (a lot), this is what Unity normally does AFAIK.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  33. Monil

Monil

Hi, i have try with unity 2019.1.0f2 and it work. I keep trying to other version to make it work.

Edit: Now it work with new project + 2019.3.3f1. It depends on something in my project.
    Thanks for your help

Edit2: Now it also works in my project, and I haven't changed settings, I can't explain it

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  34. BiSH98

BiSH98

Hi, Im currently using Unity 2019.2.3f1 with the lastest bakery, I was trying to save the UV Padding as an asset but the asset isnt using any script.

I also got this warning that i think it might relate to this
    No script asset for ftSavedPadding. Check that the definition is in a file of the same name and that it compiles properly.

upload_2020-2-27_15-10-58.png

And when I commit and pull a fresh project, I check the padding asset
    upload_2020-2-27_15-12-19.png

35. URPian

URPian

@guycalledfrank

Firstly, let me thank you for the countless hours saved by Bakery :)!.
    Now it has become an integral part of Unity and I CANNOT go back to the default lightmapping solution.
    Unity should incorporate this into their next big release.

Secondly, I thought this plugin would workout in a 2012 nvidia GT650 Mobile 2GB edition for laptop, but it was not supported. Maybe in the future, add some support for low-end PC/Laptop GPUs. I had to get a PC, but the time saved is worth it.

Recently, I upgraded to the latest URP 7.2.1 and Unity 2019.3.2f1, and now every time I enter Play Mode in the editor many processes start calculating, displaying this in the information (!):

Bakery: checking for UV overlaps in Assets/

I tried disabling the UV Validation in Bakery. Please guide

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Huh. Could not reproduce (tested on 5.6 and 2019.3). In ftGlobalStorage.cs do you have:

public class ftSavedPadding : ScriptableObject

?

This is the script that should be assigned. Indeed, it's not "in a file of the same name", but seems to work regardless. Which Unity version are you on? Did you move Bakery folders/files in the project?
    Try to commit not just the file, but its .meta counterpart as well. Does it work if you import it as unitypackage instead of committing?

I think it should work. What error messages do you see? Did you try updating the driver?

Comes from ftModelPostProcessor.cs which is called on model import. "Adjust UV padding" option may need to reimport static models with optimized UVs. Only happens once after lightmap resolution on the object changes. Can be disabled (more details).

BiSH98 and URPian like this.
  37. NVDaniel

NVDaniel

Hey @guycalledfrank,

Just curious about what the workflow would be with bakery compared to say the default GPU/CPU lightmappers in unity?

Obviously, with those we can prioritize view to get a rough understanding of what the output render would look like but as I understand it with bakery you have to bake the entire scene. Would the expectation be that the baked lights match quite closely in terms of illumination to the real-time and in turn we develop the scene with real-time (and the bakery script attached) and then bake?

Cheers!
    Dan.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You can use low texels per unit values and reduce samples multiplier to get draft bakes, then run the final one.

BUT it's all gonna change after RTPreview is released: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-65-released.536008/page-78#post-5461767
    With it you can basically fly around the scene and tweak lighting in real-time. Geometry/material changes require restarting the preview (re-exporting the scene) though.
    Note that RTPreview will likely be an additional plugin on top of Bakery.

For directionals and points/spots your expectations should be correct, but there are also many light sources and options that Unity can't render in real-time (skylights, light meshes, IES, different falloff, etc). GI also makes a huge difference.

39. NVDaniel

NVDaniel

The moment you have the RTPreview out (even in an alpha state) I'll put the money down for it. Don't mind throwing another 100 bucks your way.

40. keeponshading

keeponshading

You also could think about more secure the future development with something like....

Bakery Standard - like it is with base network bake
    Bakery Enterprise - like Bakery but with MultiGPU and advanced network baking and yearly support fee
    Bakery Taste Now - Realtime preview

There are big Studios and Industrial Companys who need special support and 50 Nodes+ bakes and complete source code for bigger long term projects.
    By a much higher price for the Enterprise you can more easily secure the growth of Bakery and probably outsource some network stuff or extended support.
    The yearly support fee helps you too to stabilize your income.
    Don t get me wrong. Full HQ function for everyone to the price you have and this stellar support is the base and important. But it s also important to secure the quality and progress of Bakery.

some real life working examples:

AV PRO Video

Regular €402,00
    Enterprise €3,126.67

or

Vehicle Physics PRO
    (source: https://vehiclephysics.com/about/licensing/)

Community free
    Professional €590
    First year included in the license setup fee
    n/a €190 /year
    Enterprise
    €5900 + Source Code
    First year included in the license setup fee n/a €1900 /year

in special the last example generates only +win+win+win+ for everyone.

something like

Bakery €49 one seat
    Bakery Taste Now €49 one seat

Bakery Professional €449 + €190 /year + Advanced Network + MultiGPU 10seats

Bakery AAA/Enterprise €4490 + €1900 /year + Advanced Network + MultiGPU + Full Source + unlimited seats per company

May be licensed by companies with annual revenue / funds / budget in excess of €200,000

"Everyone" should be happy. Only benefits.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    R0man, URPian and guycalledfrank like this.
  41. BiSH98

BiSH98

Ah no, in ftGlobalStoreage.cs

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

#if UNITY_EDITOR
    using UnityEditor;
    #endif

There are only one

Im using Unity 2019.2.3f1and we have been commit whole bakery just so all the projects have the same version.

Thanks for the help btw!

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'm not sure what the difference there will be really... making it MultiGPI beyond what OptiX/Driver supports is hard. Network baking works already. OK, there is no distributed network baking right now, and it's actually possible to parallelize different light sources over different machines, but GI still has to be sequential...

I wouldn't mind having an yearly support fee, but indies won't pay (I wouldn't) and, as previously stated, I don't see a clear differentiating feature between standard/enterprise... RTPreview will be definitely for everyone.
    Maybe I should look into properly distributed bakes indeed.

He has lots of features not available in the base version... and that's why I'm not even interested. There is this brilliant alternative vehicle physics asset that does it all without annual fees, and I actually like the result (the "feel" cars have) more :D

Source would be more expensive than that. It's worth a few years of work and more than a decade of experience.

If you don't have any mention of ftSavedPadding in ftGlobalStorage.cs, you are probably mixing different Bakery versions. This class exists in v1.65 and "Save padding to asset" option won't even work without it.

43. keeponshading

keeponshading

I am happy how it is. These were just some ideas to handle bigger entities.

With Multi GPU i meant the split of your internal jobs to -gpu 0 to -gpu x like i decribed in my benchmark.
    E.g you can run run builds and editor now with
    -force-device-index
    Something like this is for your ftracers.

The Source version is more to get bigger industries and productions on board.
    It s mostly risk riskment who is not allowing to build a pipeline or real big project around a "one man show".
    A source version helps here.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  44. keeponshading

keeponshading

45. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The problem is in the way how GI is implemented. The scene is split into multiple lightmaps, for every lightmap direct lighting is first computed (this is trivial to parallelize), but then each of them has to gather/bounce everything it "sees" around and repeat it for every bounce. This approach has benefits of keeping different tasks simple/isolated/deferred, so I can make particular light sources arbitrarily complex without fearing it will bloat the entire system, but this means I'd need to synchronize all machines in the network after every GI bounce - can be expensive; also multiple machines can't help individual machine VRAM limit. RTPreview, for example, works differently, more like a classic fully parallelizable path tracer, but as a consequence, I wasn't able to match the precision of faraway Light Meshes (which is not super critical for preview, but important for production lightmaps).

Yeah, I planned to have stuff like that out of the box originally. Just didn't have time with all the other tasks.
    I heard @E-Cone is preparing a new improved version...

This one shouldn't be normally needed and most users probably won't find it useful, I only suggest using it when there is some known issue it helps to overcome, but I'm fixing these issues.

46. keeponshading

keeponshading

47. URPian

URPian

I misremembered, :oops: it was 635M 2gb GT. It didn't work though. Gave an error before baking started.

I would like to apologize for posting this, as there was a script deleting player prefs at the start of each "play" thus requiring a "reimport" of 3d models at each play.

Thank you for the guidance, keep up the good (God's) work (,as God only knows how many hours were spent baking in Unity before)!

48. BiSH98

BiSH98

Thats odd, I even tried to download and reimport the asset, but it still says ftGlobalStorage.cs has not change

This is the start of my ftGlobalStorage.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5. using UnityEditor;
    6. #endif
    8. public class ftGlobalStorage : ScriptableObject
    9. {
    10. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    12.     [System.Serializable]
    13.     public struct AdjustedMesh
    14.     {
    15.         //[SerializeField]
    16.         //public string assetPath;
    18.         [SerializeField]
    19.         public List<string> meshName;
    21.         [SerializeField]
    22.         public List<int> padding;
    24.         [SerializeField]
    25.         public List<int> unwrapper;
    26.     };

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  49. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Which one?

Thanks! :)

I'm sorry, I mixed it all up :( The class is in ftModelPostProcessor.cs actually:

upload_2020-3-2_14-40-28.png

50. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank