Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.65) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Sure: I copied everything over from the x64 folder, ran the server, connected to it (got "Idle" as I should), clicked Render, it went through the Scene export and then at 55% it went to the preparing stage and hung the Editor for a while before showing a timeout error, only once that error showed did it start printing in the server console that it had received any files (and it received quite a lot and copied them over)

Are these updated from the Subgraphs in 1.65? As that's what I based my ASE graphs on. Presumably the HDRP and LWRP/URP subgraphs are basically the same so I should be able to use this to copy to both right?

Generally that's what ends up happening - folk help each other because they're more immediately available. Happy to help with initial setup if you need a hand.

2. Enverex

Enverex

The float overflow issue is getting a little insane in my scene now. Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?

3. POC0bob

POC0bob

So, update on my issue:
    It seems to be working on other scenes now, but still not on the original scene I was trying to get it to work on. I think the scene may be too complex/too many static objects for Bakery to take on? Not sure, just my guess since it will bake with the progressive GPU lightmapper but not Bakery.

4. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

How many is too many static objects? I’ve done a lot of scenes with a considerable number of props in.

5. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So let there be a Discord, huh?
    https://discord.gg/GTbhtb

I wonder if scene export for this particular scene somehow takes too long and causes a timeout? Did you check if example scenes work? If they do... I can try increasing the timeout.

Yes.

True, except on LWRP there is no "override baked GI" option, so I have to make final graph output emission instead (and set occlusion to 0 to remove built-in GI).

Probably caused by a particular mesh. The error is not critical, i.e. it should bake anyway, but can cause GI errors. The reason is usually either too many separate lightmaps (hundred?) or out-of-bounds lightmap UVs.

Is it on the other machine with the same harddrive?

Number of static objects is not a problem (everything gets combined together before the bake), "too complex" would likely manifest as an out of memory error instead. So still weird. You can try disabling parts of the scene until the cause is found.

6. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Ooo, that’s a good way for me to go about it for the Standard pipeline in ASE then... unless the Custom Lighting port will work, not sure if that’s meant to be for real-time only though.

Shall have a play with the new subgraphs and try the example scenes shortly for the network bake. Switching to 1.65 may also help, dunno if anything changed there though?

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

8. noobynobody

noobynobody

I can't seem to use Unity's Progressive GPU if I just want to bake Realtime GI, so it's really slow. I'm wondering if Bakery will help.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  9. Enverex

Enverex

94 lightmaps so far, many of which are absolutely tiny. Is this problem going to get worse as time goes on then? (as I'm noticing more random errors needing a re-bake).

10. Automoda

Automoda

Hey there. Loving Bakery, but I have uno problemo. I'm using HDRP 2019.3 and if I have any trees on the terrain, at all, of even a simple tree mesh thats essentially a cube and uses the HDRP-Lit shader and nothing fancy, Bakery crashes-out on the light probe bake before it really gets started. Takes Unity down with it and everything. I've had the crash even with prefabs that don't have LODs.

11. POC0bob

POC0bob

So that scene crashed my friends computer too using Bakery, so for fun I made an unoptimized Forrest using 53,000 objects and as you said it just gave me an out of memory error eventually instead of crashing. Must be something up with that scene, very odd.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  12. Loards

Loards

Question, i just realized, this needs to be done to every light? Right?

Including the bakery ones? or only the mixed one?

thanks

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Bakery can only provide static lightmaps. Realtime GI is Enlighten's domain.

Hmm. Either you set Max Resolution parameter to a low value or... there are lots of differently tweaked LODs in the scene. LODs can indeed spawn many lightmaps, see this: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting#I_get_too_many_lightmaps

It shouldn't. Which errors do you see except for float overflow?

Huh! Really weird - can you try going to experimental settings and switching Light Probe Mode to L1, then rendering the whole scene (In L1 mode probes will be baked together with lightmaps as well)? That should at least tell if it's related to Lighting Data Asset generation or the way probes are baked.

Makes me wonder what the scene looks like. How complex is it?

Only one main directional light can be subtractive. Everything else should be fully baked (direct+indirect) in this mode.

From Unity docs:

In Subtractive mode, the main Directional Light (which is usually the sun) is the only light source which casts real-time shadows from dynamic GameObjects onto static GameObjects. Shadows cast from static GameObjects onto other static GameObjects are baked into the lightmap, even for the main Light, so Unity cannot guarantee correct composition of baked and real-time shadows. Subtractive mode therefore has a Realtime Shadow Color field. Unity uses this color in the Shader
    to composite real-time shadows with baked shadows. To do this, it reduces the effect of the light map in areas shadowed by dynamic GameObjects. Because there is no correct value that the engine can predetermine, choosing a value that works for any given Scene is down to your own artistic choice.

14. 6565

Hey, in `ftBuildGraphics.cs` line ~1219 you call this to get objects to bake:
    `objects = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(typeof(GameObject));`

Problem is, using this function returns ALL OBJECTS IN THE PROJECT; this in turn causes the baker to fail as it tries to bake prefabs (fails afterwards in line 2256)

` if (!storages[sceneToID[holder.scene]].implicitGroupedObjects.Contains(holder))`

as the "scene" isn't in storage, as the scene is the prefab

15. Loards

Loards

But im using indirect, the subtractive was only a test. In indirect i suppose taht every mixed light need this setting, right?

16. noobynobody

noobynobody

Is there a way to switch lightmaps at run-time to simulate a day/night cycle without using a realtime light?

17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sort of, but it should ignore assets that's not in the scene:

var path = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(obj);
    if (path != "") continue; // must belong to scene

I forgot the exact reason I used Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll instead of Object.FindObjectsOfType. Perhaps disabled objects were important in some cases.

That's interesting. How can I reproduce it? There are built-in example scenes with prefabs (example_prefabs_bake) and they seem to work (?)

You shouldn't care in this case. Indirect just bakes GI. Real-time lights can just work as usual without knowing anything about baked lighting, producing direct illumination as they do.

Take a look at this script: https://geom.io/bakery/wiki/index.p...ions#Lightmap_Swapper_.26_Light_Probe_Storage

18. Automoda

Automoda

[QUOTE="
    Huh! Really weird - can you try going to experimental settings and switching Light Probe Mode to L1, then rendering the whole scene (In L1 mode probes will be baked together with lightmaps as well)? That should at least tell if it's related to Lighting Data Asset generation or the way probes are baked.[/QUOTE]

I tried switching it to L1 and it completed successfully. It took longer than normal by far, so I don't know if its a great solution. What I've been doing is baking with the broken-for-LODs Progressive mapper set to 2 texels per unit and small maps so it bakes fast. Then I use bakery. Its a bit of a hack but I'm getting by.

By the way, Bakery's quality... My god! My photogrammetry has a lot of seams and islands just because there's no better way to unwrap certain shapes. Bakery's light map is beautiful even with low texel settings. I mean, beautiful! It shames Progressive. And its about 30x faster than CPU Progressive, which is currently Unitys' only 'final' bake option right now.

Update: I closed that little scene and later re-opened unity, which went to that last saved scene. After a few seconds it crashed and upon restarting, the light maps are gone but its not crashing. I've seen this kind of thing where it fumbles light maps on crashes or restarts before I even got bakery but I thought I'd give a heads up. The crash is one of those "there is no fix" warnings.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  19. Sapler

Sapler

PC Unity 2017.4.28f
    Heya, Just got Bakery and is kinda stuck?
    I followed the manual and got some stuff to work, but for whatever reason the directional light has no effect what so ever, leaving a massive part of the scene Im building in darkness.. Any reason this could be happening?

20. akhirrashad

akhirrashad

Hey, I purchased Bakery in February of this year. Since then, the Unity account that I used to purchase it has been suspended. I've talked to Unity support for a very long time and they said there is no way to transfer the asset...

I remember reading somewhere months ago that you would be willing to send a Github repo to Bakery users that can provide proof of purchase. If I send you my receipt for purchasing Bakery would you please send me an updated version of the asset? I've been stuck using an old version for months (I think v1.55) and it doesn't appear to work with Unity 2019.3.

21. HeliosDoubleSix

HeliosDoubleSix

Wondering if theres a way to make Bakery bake color values into the lightmap also, just trying to get it wokring on mobile and I am stuck to using an older version of Unity 2018.4 that does not support high dynamic range in the lightmaps and thus is clamping at an exposure of 2.0, which would be fine but for it needing to then be multplied the the material color which on dark surfaces means I often hit the clamp.

I would imagine the place for that kind of feature would be on the lightmap group parameters as a new 'Render Mode', and naturally then require adjustments to the shader. I would suggest both a bake lightmap including the color options, and a bake the albedo color to a map only option, as with the lattger I can craft my own maps and even apply my own tonemapping to the baked maps. I'm going to have a dig in the code see if I can do this myself but I might get lost :-D

For now I am hacking around it by baking the darker materials to a lightmap all together and then adjusting the exposure of that HDR and correcting for that in shader.

Thanks, Alex

22. HeliosDoubleSix

HeliosDoubleSix

I have had issues with using remote baking where it isnt automatically getting the end result, and if I press the button to get it, it often comes back corrupt/wrong offsets and such and I am using v 1.65, thanks, Alex

23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Should be actually faster (than Render Light Probes) most of the time - especially when the probe count is high.

Nice! As a photogrammetry hobbyist myself, I'm interested to see your results :)

Possibly went out of memory during scene loading? I only experienced similar problem when having many memory-hungry programs open at the same time.

Did you follow the quickstart guide and... got no direct lighting? Can you show me some screenshots of your scene/bake settings/light settings?

... why can Unity just suspend your account?

That should be fine I guess.

You should be able to do it actually. Bakery generates intermediate albedo textures using lightmap UVs to use for GI. You can grab them, save to a file and multiply over lightmap in photoshop or anywhere.
    In ftBuildGraphics.cs look for:

SaveGBufferMap(albedo.GetNativeTexturePtr(),

albedo is a regular Texture2D at this point - you can intercept it and use as you wish.
    SaveGBufferMap() itself is able to save it to an uncompressed DDS.

Ouch. Can you try bansheesoft's workaround?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-65-released.536008/page-68#post-4958771

24. stevenx

stevenx

Hello, Rahteenko,
    I'm working on a mobile game, my goal is to bake some prefabs and instantiate them and locate them at runtime. I had 4 prefabs baked on my PC and the result was good at editor runtime(window10 & iOS platform).
    But after I built my app and send it to an iPhone, all lightmaps messed up, it seems like some kind of UV issue, very similar to when you twisted something in your baked prefab in the scene and forget to override. I haven't twisted anything after baking my prefabs and I had made sure all the prefab have not a thing to override, and the same project running well in editor.

I believed I must've missed something, but after twisting some setting in and out for a few days, I got no luck.

Thank you very much.

25. mangax

mangax

hello @guycalledfrank ,

on LWRP/URP unity baking solution of baked Subtract shadow maps, cause light nodes in shader graph (even light function in shaders) to lose real time shadow data for static baked objects, this is makes dynamic objects like characters to not receive real time shadow from static objects.

so in the case of your solution, does your tool after baking lightmaps.. cause same results as unity??

to be honest i was hoping to create the classical shadow mask effect with shaders on URP..
    the plan is to show baked shadow maps for distant objects, then on close objects i would fade in real time shadows.. only maybe keeping GI displayed.. i can only achieve this if your tool can manage baked maps without causing unity to omit away real time shadows for static objects..

thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  26. Sapler

Sapler

Here are some screens prebakery with old lights, and with bakery lights.. You can see that only the point lights are functioning at all. Please tell me if there is any more information you need from me.

Attached Files:

27. pragmascript

pragmascript

Hey,

I wonder if it is possible to use "xatlas" as unwrapper and then use the resulting lightmap in a project on linux, or do I need to have the bakery runtime working when i want to share the finished lightmap? (i do not intend to run the lightmapper on linux just share the project with the completed lightmap)

28. pilamin

pilamin

I have one question. I looked over the Bakery manual and saw the chart that states that only Bakery Standard can store lightmap specular.

So, to confirm, this means that Bakery cannot store baked specular details when using HDRP, in either dominant direction, RMH, or SH?

29. Enverex

Enverex

You're trying to bake a realtime light, that won't work. Either set it to mixed if you want to use realtime for dynamic objects and baked for static objects, or just set it to baked if you want it to bake in the lighting. I'm guessing you probably want mixed (just make sure you have all your stationary objects set to "Static" first.

30. xVergilx

xVergilx

Bakery Point Light components are required to bake Point / Spot light, as well as Bakery Directional Light for directional light, and Bakery Light Mesh for Light -> Area.

Otherwise they will not be baked.

31. xVergilx

xVergilx

I'm getting weird overbright texels with denoiser (could be driver update 441.41 or something I've changed no idea):
    1.PNG

Without:
    2.PNG

I've tried turning on / off lights, global illumination emission on materials (checked whether its off), and I can't avoid them. This must be 441.41 driver update, otherwise I got no clue what to check.

Any ideas what can be done @guycalledfrank ?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  32. virtualHCIT

virtualHCIT

Using Unity 2019.3.0f1 the Bakery window has layout issues. I've tried opening and closing it without any luck, I'm also unable to resize it (see attached screenshot)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  33. Sapler

Sapler

Oh umm OK, i didnt think it would take the old light into consideration.. But I gave it a go.. and stil nothing.. Picture with the directional light set to mixed before new render.. as well as anything to baked in the lightning settings as thats what bakery does on render start.. Exact same result..

As trying a new render with the direct light as either realtime or mixed didnt work (as i thought it didnt take them into account, just attached to copy info) I set now everything to baked!... Aaaand no change.. Im gonna add 2 pictures one after mixed and one after everything set as baked..
    *Oh and YES, every object i want to have lighting baked into are set as static.*

Attached Files:

34. keeponshading

keeponshading

FYI.
    In 2019.3.0f1 you can additive load light probes from multi scene setups now.
    You need to update the tetrahedral tessellation with data from all Light Probes for all currently loaded Scenes
    with
    LightProbes.TetrahedralizeAsync()
    or
    LightProbes.Tetrahedralize()

https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/light-probes-and-scene-loading.html

Also Fontainebleau is updated to 2019.3.0f1 and HDRP 7.1.6.
    This is an nice Bakery test project.

Currently it s using Lightmap LOD´s
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ster/Assets/Scripts/Utility/LightmappedLOD.cs
    and
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...aster/Assets/Scripts/Utility/StealLightmap.cs

and the local package
    "li.lightingtools.lightmapswitcher": "file:../LocalPackages/LightingTools.LightmapSwitcher"

and an improved workflow to setup different lighting scenarios
    DiscoverItems.png

Reflection Probes get calculated at scene startup now. I had have some issues buts working after reimport now. However it takes some extra time at scene startup and by switching the lighting scenario.
    But it i think they have some plans with this......, probably towards RTXGI and DXR extension???

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FontainebleauDemo

Lots to learn from. It s an perfect HDRP test project.
    In terms of Lightmap and Probe quality there is lots of room for improvement.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  35. cangcloud2015

cangcloud2015

Hi,How to use the plugin to bake Area Light?please help me.

36. xVergilx

xVergilx

Attach Bakery Light Mesh component. Note that it doesn't work with "Disc" mode of it for some reason.

37. cangcloud2015

cangcloud2015

Thank you.

38. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Unity can strip some vertex attributes from meshes that it "thinks" don't need them. As Unity does not really support lightmapped prefabs, prefab assets are assumed to not have UV2, which is therefore stripped. Can you check:
    - If it works when the prefab is pre-instantiated in the scene?
    - If it works when "optimize mesh data" is disabled in player settings?

Probably, as I'm only assigning lightmap values to the renderer. The way Unity uses the lightmaps and the consequences are out of my control.

TBH I wouldn't use it until it's mature enough (on par with standard at least).

Are objects marked as Lightmapped Static at all? What about "generate lightmap UV" checkbox on your assets? Do built-in lightmappers work correctly?

Currently not, but you can export the xatlas'ed model to a new FBX file and then use it anywhere. This way the UVs are stored in the model, and you don't need xatlas to run on asset import.

It doesn't really "store" it, just able to display.

There is a WIP subgraph package for HDRP with support for dominant direction and SH specular: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E8pbDnFbNlvmilJ83lAwJHkU3pOe_2pF

It's not officially supported as of 1.65, due to 2019.3 being a beta version (actually, it's still a beta). Betas are known to have various bugs. According to Unity download archive, the latest stable release is 2019.2.14.

Doesn't matter. Sapler has a Bakery Direct Light, so that should be enough for Full Lighting mode. Realtime light will be ignored. So the problem is likely related to geometry flags. The light is OK.

And it goes away when disabling the denoiser? Can you try "denoise: fix bright edges" option? Although not strictly related, it still might help.

Nice!

Ah, hello, I think I answered you via email yesterday.

I totally missed the moment when they added the disk option o_O
    Anyway, you can always just create a disk mesh (or just a scaled cylinder) with the Light Mesh component.

xVergilx likes this.
  39. Cangar

Cangar

Hello,

I purchased bakery yesterday and just start out using it. I have an outdoor scene which I want to bake and get some weird effects in some shadowed areas. The lightmap seems to be somehow striped, like this:

These were the settings:

I used only one directional light, even though I have a skybox. With the skybox bakery light in addition, the seams became super strong and also happend on the non-shaded areas at times. Can you point me to a setting that can fix this? Otherwise, I'm very happy, it really does make the scene look much more realistic and lifelike! I confess I haven't compared it to the Unity light mapper though...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 9:22 AM
  40. xVergilx

xVergilx

Yes, it does. More than that, on my PC at home I've got an older driver version, and it bakes just fine. Weird.

I'll try that thanks. If it won't work, I'll just rollback the driver.

41. deverolirc

deverolirc

Hi,

Just purchased this.

How can you brighten interiors/covered areas without placing additional lights? It doesn't need to be perfectly physically accurate, I just want visible non pitch black interiors without having strange point light falloffs everywhere.
    I have tried boosting the skylight but it makes everything bright, I tried maxing out the GI samples, I tried the indirect boost under "hacks".

What are my options here? If there is no simple way around this we will have to just revert to Progressive.

The issue isn't only within interiors, for example under some tree assets our terrain goes completely black.

I am a little unclear where this can be adjusted.

upload_2019-12-2_17-57-27.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:58 AM
  42. deverolirc

deverolirc

Also @guycalledfrank the Discord invite you posted is invalid, make sure when you create the invite to have it never expire.

43. Sapler

Sapler

Yes every object suppose to be light mapped is fully static, I dont have generate lightmap UV on my assets as I dont have that In the current version of Unity im forced to work in. I have baked lighting without any problems on the So dout its anything to do with the UVS? Attaching a image of a image of a cave of the same mesh as the Island I have where the lightning is bake in fairly good. Only place currently decently lit in the scene.

About buildt in lightmapper.. "Yes" It has worked.. A few times, but its buggy and tends to lock up in my version of unity. It has at a few occasions lightmapped correctly. After It started to non stop halting progress, I tried changing to "progressive" from enlightened and it started crashing. At this point I was recommended Bakery.

EDIT: Also if there is a discord as seen above, A link to that would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:01 AM
  44. xVergilx

xVergilx

Try setting lightmap parameters to transparent for the trees.

45. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Which stripes bother you? The color difference between the triangles in the shadow? Can you try disabling "fix seams" and "adjust sample positions" and see if it makes a difference?

... or is it about the lowpoly faceted look? I assume it's the style you go for though?

Another wild guess:
    - Faceted meshes have each triangle as a separate UV chart
    - Therefore UV layout becomes a cloud of tiny dots with 1 px per chart
    - Block compression comes in and compresses whole 4x4 blocks, distorting the color.
    so... also check it gets better when you set Compression to None on your finished lightmap assets. It is actually the first thing I would check.

Try setting Backface GI to 1. In case your leaves are single-faced polygons, they will transmit some light though instead of blocking it.

You can also simulate fake ambient lighting via directs.

Finally, just use tonemapping to boost shadows. It's only natural to do so, and it's a common practice when working with RAW photos as well (left is original RAW, right is with Shadows boosted to +100 in CameraRaw):

upload_2019-12-3_11-59-47.png

Oooops yeah. I fixed the link on the Wiki already, here you go:

Proper Discord link

Pretty sure Unity just ignored your objects then and used light probes/realtime lights on them. Maybe try rotating the objects/moving the lights to see if lighting moves along or not. If it doesn't the object is not lightmapped.
    The "generate lightmap UV" checkbox is present in all versions of Unity (at least since 3.5 or something): https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightingGiUvs-GeneratingLightmappingUVs.html

Hmm which? I don't think Bakery respects any Enlighten-related parameters.

46. xinuxano

xinuxano

Recently I was lucky enough to buy a Valve Index. When connecting them I had problems with the DP to mDP adapter (club 3D passive adapter CAC-1110). After reading, it seems to be a incompatibility issue with the latest NVIDIA drivers and MSI laptops.

The solution was to download the NVIDIA driver to 417.17.

I tell you all this, because then I started having the "denoiser error: Unknown error (1)". Following your advice I now use Legacy denoiser. It works but I think the quality is little worse.

Thanks for your help. Any comment is welcomed.

[NVIDIA GTX 1060, Unity 2019.2.12, Bakery 1.65]

47. xVergilx

xVergilx

48. pragmascript

pragmascript

@guycalledfrank thank you for the answer :)

I'm afraid I'm not sure how to export a model as an FBX once the model has been "xatlas'ed".
    I would just select the GameObject once the lightmap is done and do "export to fbx" with the FBX exporter preview package? (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.formats.fbx@2.0/manual/exporting.html)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:23 PM
  49. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

testing in 2019 looks like ui may need a bit of rework :D
    upload_2019-12-4_0-17-18.png

50. deverolirc

deverolirc

I tried this fake ambient light method, it only seems brightens shadows when using extra direct lighting, however when using direct lighting everything else just gets overexposed. Indirect lighting isn't the problem, shadows are too dark. Mainly using indirect boost just makes indirect lighting way too bright, while shadows stay very dark.

Backface GI makes everything extremely bright, including terrain.

Tonemapping/Adaptive Exposure is not an option on our target platforms.

Are shadows meant to build up on eachother? Notice the terrain shadow combined with the tree shadows, ambient occlusion is off. Is it possible to just have a consistent shadow strength across the scene instead of being addictive? More like how realtime shadows would behave.
    upload_2019-12-3_15-25-35.png

I think the first issues boils down to just needing a shadow strength hack on the main direct light. Is this not possible or did I miss something in the documentation.

Not sure if this is all because physical accuracy or what but ideally I would be able to have lighter shadows without needing to do 1 zillion GI bounces/samples, or ending up with an overexposed scene.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:52 PM