Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. andrewc

andrewc

Are there any plans to include a version of Bakery shader with Roughness map input, the way the standard shader can? Would like to try baking RNM's but project is using roughness model currently.

Thanks

2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sure, there is no problem. Bakery shader was based on an old version of Standard where they didn't have roughness, but it shouldn't be hard to add - added to my TODO list for the next release.

Archviz3d and Mark_01 like this.
  3. JakartaIlI

JakartaIlI

Hello, how can i fix this. Black spots on window.
    Lightmaps is empty, how can i see it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. r_chevallier

r_chevallier

Using Unity 2018.3

I successfully baked a single directional light the first day. But now I am having trouble getting a different directional light in the same scene to bake. It does bake a light map for my objects but still acts like a real time light after Render is complete which cause double exposure. I even disabled my original directional light so that the second directional light I created is the only active light in the scene. It still acts like a real time light after Render is complete.

Also Mode is set to "Baked".

Edit - It appears to have something to do with "Render Mode" in Unity's Light setting. If I set the second Directional light to "Not Important" it bakes correctly even if the first original Directional Light (set to Auto) in my scene is active.
    But if I deactivate my first original Directional Light and change the Render Mode back to "Auto" on my second directional light, it does bake a lightmap but also still acts like a real time light even though it is the only active light in the scene.

Should I always set Render Mode to "Not Important" when baking?

Thanks
    -Raymond

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    guycalledfrank likes this.
  5. andrewc

andrewc

Thanks, appreciate it. Works very well so far :)

6. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi. Do you use custom lightmapping UVs? It looks to me like the lightmap resolution on window frames is way too low (frame itself seems to be almost thinner than one texel).With autogenerated UVs Bakery tries to adjust padding in the lightmap to reduce things like that, but they still might happen if the resolution is lower than the amount of UV charts in the mesh. Given other objects look okay, I suggest increasing the "Scale in lightmap" value on window mesh renderers (try 4, 10, 50).

If you bake lights completely then you don't need Unity light components at all - you can safely disable/delete them. Bakery doesn't make them inactive after bake.

7. greengremline

greengremline

Hey @guycalledfrank, would it be possible to allow the lightmapper window to grow beyond the current width if the user makes it larger? Really hard to edit long output paths:
    upload_2018-12-23_10-30-21.png

Thanks!

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can someone confirm that adding the PostFX stack to your scene, it will trigger the blue/pink issues with the Skybox probe? At least on my scene this is happening now.

It's a bit of a showstopper, as I cannot compile a game now. The blue/pink stuff will be in the game as well :(

rob

9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Makes sense - I'll try to add that (I'm terrible at GUIs).

Why can't you compile the game? Can you call DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment() to prevent it?

10. Ruonan

Ruonan

Hey Frank,

Running into some problem when I baking our scene recently:

upload_2018-12-24_17-3-49.png

upload_2018-12-24_17-3-58.png

Not sure what is going wrong.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

That doesn't seem to work, as soon as I move the camera in-game, the blue/pink color returns.
    Or I must be doing something wrong here, not the best programmer around ;)

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Seems like a GI VRAM optimization bug - this is currently under investigation (someone finally shared a scene where it's reproducible, yay!). For now I suggest:
    - Settings GI VRAM optimization = Force Off in advanced settings.
    - Reducing resolution (e.g. texels per unit).

Weird! I wonder if it's indeed triggered by post processing scripts? Which version of Unity/PostFX stack are you on and which effects are you using?

13. r_chevallier

r_chevallier

Using Unity 2018.3

Why do some game objects have Baked Lightmap previews under Mesh Renderer and some objects do not have a Baked Lightmap preview under Mesh Renderer?

Using bakery in my own project I use to be able to Open Preview "Baked Lightmaps" but for some reason they don't show up any more under the game object Mesh Renderer nor am I able to preview them under Unity's Lighting window.

Preview window say's "The texture is not available at the moment. Please try to rebake the current scene or turn on Auto".

Rebaking does not fix this.

Thanks,
    Ray

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi. What kind of preview? I didn't use 2018.3 yet, so I can't comment about compatibility with any post-2018.2 features (this is something I'll have to do rather soon though).

Lighting window (global maps tab) must always show all baked lightmaps you have currently loaded. I doubt 2018.3 changed anything about it.

15. r_chevallier

r_chevallier

The Lighting window does show lightmaps but "Open Preview" button in the Lighting window does not work. When you click it it opens the Preview window but say's "The texture is not available at the moment. Please try to rebake the current scene or turn on Auto".

Also I remember that game objects themselves show the Lightmap they are using under the game objects "Mesh Renderer". The lightmap no longer shows up in the game objects "Mesh Renderer". It just says "Lightmaps" with nothing under it.

Thanks,
    Raymond

16. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I guess Unity just updated the preview somehow without any regard to externally provided lightmaps. For example, they also used to show stats like "mray/sec" for the lightmaps, but that's internal data no script can change. You can:
    - Ignore it.
    - Use 2018.2.
    - Wait for the next release.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

For this project I'm running Unity 2018.2.17f1 & PostFX v2.1.1.
    I use most of the FX, but turned off Fog, DOF, Motion Blur, User LUT & Dithering.

Hope this helps somehow.

rob

18. r_chevallier

r_chevallier

I don't have a problem waiting for the update.

Thanks,

19. emptyxu

emptyxu

draw call is too high for big scene with lod groups + forward rendering(500dc ->5000dc after we tried bakery, batching system is broken due to the manymany lightmap textures, lod group + lightmap group is needed for complex scene

20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

OK, not sure if it'll help, but it seems to solve it for some scenes where I had this bug before:
    Open ftLightmaps.cs and find this line:

if (Mathf.Abs(probe[i,j]) > 1000.0f)

Replace it with this:

if (Mathf.Abs(probe[i,j]) > 1000.0f || Mathf.Abs(probe[i,j]) < 0.000001f)

500->5000 is a bit extreme, woah. You can try to reduce it by increasing the Min Resolution parameter. However there is indeed a problem with lots of lightmaps in many-LOD situations. I'm going to fix it ASAP by joining the lightmaps after they're baked, so stay tuned for the next update.

FoxAlphaX and Mark_01 like this.
  21. Cre8ing

Cre8ing

I have been using Bakery for several weeks now and generally everything went well. Occasionally I received error messages by using too many Area lights. But I could usually solve this. Now my problem has become bigger because I no longer succeed to render. To test everything again, I have already started several times but in the beginning everything goes well and afterwards everything goes wrong.
    I make visuals of fairly large buildings that I export as fbx in various parts and import them into Unity.
    Because rendering with enlighten and progressive takes a long time and I have 4 GPUs I had put my hope on Bakery.
    I hope you can help me with this because I am starting to give up hope ...

On Unity 2018.2.20 and 2018.3.0f2 i got the folowing errors when rendering Lightmaps:

Running combineMasks "C:/Users/Bert/Desktop/Unity-Bureau/Keizerstraat-2019.1c/Assets/BakeryLightmaps/SampleScene_LMA1_mask.tga" "C:/Users/Bert/Desktop/Unity-Bureau/Bakery-Temp/masks_1.bin" "C:/Users/Bert/Desktop/Unity-Bureau/Bakery-Temp/"
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__176:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3791)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2549)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Error: Failed to save TGA file. See console for details. (5)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__176:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3821)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2549)

Running halffloat2hdr "SampleScene_LMA1_final_L0.lz4" "C:/Users/Bert/Desktop/Unity-Bureau/Keizerstraat-2019.1c/Assets/BakeryLightmaps/SampleScene_LMA1_L0.hdr"
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__176:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3791)

Error: Failed to save HDR file. See console for details. (5)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>d__176:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:3821)

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

This helped, thanks a lot! No more issues on (re)loading the scene, game testing or after a build. :)

rob

23. jaiyuan

jaiyuan

Hello. Your lightmapper is so nice.

Do you have any plan supporting the UE4 LQ lightmap??
    UE4 LQ Lightmap use two lightmaps. It is RGB+Irradiance, SH(L0, L1).
    It is similar your SH Lightmap. but, 2 lightmaps are more useful in mobile.

if you support it, I will be happy.;)

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Interesting. What did messages say? How many is many? 100? 1000?

Hmm. How much free disk space do you have on C?
    Does file "SampleScene_LMA1_final_L0.lz4" exist in "C:/Users/Bert/Desktop/Unity-Bureau/Bakery-Temp/"?

I can't find any detailed information about it, is there any? If it's just 2 textures, then I assume L0 holds the color and L1 are monochromatic directional coefficients. But L1 is axis-aligned (XYZ), so it would basically equal to classic "dominant direction" mode Unity/Bakery support already.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Bert,

Any game engine, or projects, tend to eat HD space very rapidly.
    I can only suggest moving your projects(s) to a separate drive (pref. a SSD for speed), and keep the C:\ drive just for applications.
    Also, -any- downloaded asset/plugin/tool/unity package will also stay on the C:\drive unless you manually move or delete it.

Cleaning up your folders is a must or your C:\drive will be full really quickly. ;)

rob

26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So in case you thought I forgot about Bakery, you are not right :)
    For the last week I was coding a new terrain raytracing system. After seeing a person with TITAN XP going out of memory on a relatively simple scene with 16 2048x2048 terrains I realized it's not just wrong to treat them as triangles, it's very wrong. Tracing terrains as triangles wastes too much memory and takes too much time. Instead the new system traces them as hierarchical heightfields with actual triangles constructed implicitly from heightmap data. That avoids storing every vertex of the terrain in a vertex buffer, as well as storing their indices, and, in general, produces the most efficient traversal for this type of geometry.

upload_2018-12-28_21-16-51.png

27. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@guycalledfrank the FAQ, re. sharing scenes with lightmaps baked with Bakery suggests that the following scripts should be included:
    Q: How do I share a scene with someone who doesn’t have Bakery installed?
    A: Apart from the scene and its lightmaps you also have to include a few scripts, namely:
    - ftLightmaps.cs
    - ftLightmapsStorage.cs
    - ftLocalStorage.cs
    - ftGlobalStorage.cs
    - ftModelPostProcessor.cs​
    But these don't seem to exist in the project in the version I have installed (sorry can't see where to find version number)
    If I delete Bakery folders the scene goes dark, so I'm assuming I do have to include something...

28. jaiyuan

jaiyuan

UE4 mobile lightmap docode by this code

// LightmapCommon.ush
    half4 GetLightMapColorLQ( float2 LightmapUV0, float2 LightmapUV1, half3 WorldNormal )
    {
    half4 Lightmap0 = Texture2DSample( PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapTexture, PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapSampler, LightmapUV0 );
    half4 Lightmap1 = Texture2DSample( PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapTexture, PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapSampler, LightmapUV1 );

// Range scale
    half3 LogRGB = Lightmap0.rgb * PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapScale[0].xyz + PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapAdd[0].xyz; // 1 vmad

half LogL = Luminance( LogRGB ); // 1 dot

// LogL -> L
    const half LogBlackPoint = 0.00390625; // exp2(-8);
    half L = exp2( LogL * 16 - 8 ) - LogBlackPoint; // 1 exp2, 1 smad, 1 ssub

#if USE_LM_DIRECTIONALITY
    // Alpha doesn't matter, will scaled by zero
    float4 SH = Lightmap1 * PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapScale[1] + PrecomputedLightingBuffer.LightMapAdd[1]; // 1 vmad

// Sample SH with normal
    half Directionality = max( 0.0, dot( SH, float4(WorldNormal.yzx, 1) ) ); // 1 dot, 1 smax
    #else
    half Directionality = 0.6;
    #endif

half Luma = L * Directionality;
    half3 Color = LogRGB * (Luma / LogL); // 1 rcp, 1 smul, 1 vmul

return half4( Color, Luma );
    }

UE4 Lightmap0 is light color, Lightmap1 is SH for light direciton.
    So, It can show light with directionality by 2 lightmaps.

29. castor76

castor76

I know that this asset does not support realtime gi. But i just wanted to find out if it means the baking of realtime gi maps. The term realtime gi could also mean gi effect without baking anything. So.. i was wondering if unity realtime gi baking is supported ?

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

They exist in all versions. ftModelPostProcessor.cs can be found in Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts and everything else is in Assets/Bakery.

Ever tried baking directional lightmaps in Unity? Literally the same thing. Bakery supports that, engine supports that. There are slight differences in the implementation, but the amount of data and the resulting quality are the same.

Both are unsupported. "Realtime GI baking" is what Enlighten was created for, and it's integrated tightly into the engine. Bakery keeps runtime code to minimum, it's for generating high quality static maps in reasonable time.

31. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@guycalledfrank Sorry, just me being stupid... I was searching for full filenames (including extension) in the Project search, which doesn't work.
    Ok, so now I've deleted everything else, I get three errors
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Bakery/ftLightmapsStorage.cs(88,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BakeryLightmapGroup' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/Bakery/ftLightmapsStorage.cs(91,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BakeryLightmapGroupPlain' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    3. Assets/Bakery/ftLightmapsStorage.cs(30,39): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BakeryLightmapGroup' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    What else should I have kept in?

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You're likely using an old version. v1.45 doesn't reference BakeryLightmapGroup from these files.

33. TCROC

TCROC

@guycalledfrank What is the status on being able to put Bakery in a different folder? Also, would it be possible to include an Assembly Definition File for bakery to reduce compile times for us?

34. MU-TH-UR

MU-TH-UR

@guycalledfrank Unity 2017.1.0f3 open up example_directional_SH and get error on render:

denoiseSH error: Unknown error (505)

Renders fine if denoise is unchecked. I don't recall an error in an old project with an older Bakery.

35. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not implemented yet. But it has large exclamation signs around it in my TODO list for the next release :D

I didn't realize you can do that. Will try :)

Yuup update the driver. It's in the FAQ.

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Cheers. Updated and that did the trick. Many thanks

37. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Is the performance better than unitys baking?

38. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

Hello can you help me with this one, first time use trying to do a first render I get an "Error exporting scene - see console for details" ? I am using a Nvidia Quadro

NullReferenceException
    ftBuildGraphics+<ExportScene>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/LIGHTING/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftBuildGraphics.cs:2015)

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes. It was one of the reasons I started working on it. However:
    - It's probably not faster than Unity's new GPU progressive, but that one is rather unpolished and lacks features at the moment; also GPU progressive often goes out of memory and switches to slow CPU path - Bakery avoids that.
    - On tiny primitive scenes you may not see any difference between them. In fact Bakery may even appear slower, as it has to convert scene representation to its own format, perform seam fixing, denoising, etc... But on any decent game scene the difference becomes apparent.

You shouldn't move Bakery folders. Should be Assets/Editor, not Assets/LIGHTING/Editor
    I'm about to change that, as it's understandably annoying. but right now that's how it works.

40. Firewalker

Firewalker

Dear Frank,

After more than 20 years of rendering lightmaps in various software tools, as well as writing our own GPU lightmapper once, a long time ago, then forgetting about it, finally it looks that the right solution is here. Bakery is fantastic, well done Fred!

Question: if we have a need to render lightmaps by the external call while putting more objects into the scene and then sending the scene to rendering, would that be somehow possible?

Something like this: we run a build, then load objects dynamically, then run the Bakery and change the lightmaps.

Thank you!

41. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks! To be honest, I'm neither Frank nor Fred :D Real name's Arthur, but I used to go under a pseudonym of Mr F, and when they say "oh no your username is too short, you can't register", I just use this one as it's never taken, and still has F in it.

Baking in the build is not supported currently. There are many editor-only assemblies used, e.g. builds can't even process assets. It's not impossible to implement yourself with some scripting though - the core part of the lightmapper is a separate binary, but there is a tremendous amount of scripted "glue" between it and the engine. All the atlasing code, LOD managing, asset managing, etc...

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. RockSPb

RockSPb

This is mobile game, that means the minimum resolution, minimum polycount (180k for whole scene)
    and minimum numbers of textures and lightmaps (2x2048). Also we used baked normal map mode. We will not be able to achieve this quality using a progressive lightmapper, especially with such a low quality of settings. upload_2018-12-31_1-22-19.png
    upload_2018-12-31_1-47-14.png upload_2018-12-31_1-47-30.png
    love the quality!

blueivy, wd521wd, colin299 and 4 others like this.
  43. PotatoHate

PotatoHate

Hello Frank,

This is awesome tool that you made was wondering do you have any approximate deadlines for lumen/kelvin/ candela units to be implemented in all lights that very needed its supper annoying to estimate light strength. For spot light, angle doesn't seems to work correctly when i put slider to 179 cone is around 45. Also would love to have a button to turn off gizmos for all lights.

(This is angle at 179)

Thank you for awesome work!

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Beautiful!

This is certainly planned, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with a big list of higher priority tasks right now. Probably after the next release (Febraury?). Will investigate the spot angle. It might be the preview gizmo is wrong, but the actual baking is not. Gizmos - you should be able to disable them by minimizing the component like this:

upload_2018-12-31_10-19-41.png

Or, if you don't want to minimize, in the gizmos menu:

upload_2018-12-31_10-20-27.png

PotatoHate likes this.
  45. Davide1104

Davide1104

does'n bakery works only with 16bit mesh fbx ?

after install bakery I have this error when I try to create ligthmap, but only with baker asset in the project without bakery installed i can use 32-bit mesh fbx without problem

Can't adjust UV padding for mappa_test due to Unity bug. Please set Index Format to 16-bit on the asset.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ftModelPostProcessor:AdjustUV(Transform) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:190)
    ftModelPostProcessor:OnPostprocessModel(GameObject) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftModelPostProcessor.cs:64)

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

any solution ?
    Thanks

46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Happy new year everyone!

Yeah. The reason is because Unity's Unwrapping.GenerateSecondaryUVSet function is bugged and will completely break 32-bit meshes. I should probably submit a bug report if it's not reported/fixed yet.

Set it to 16-bit maybe? It's in fact likely to perform better as well. Or disable the "Adjust UV padding" checkbox in advanced settings (note: may give light leaks).

47. Davide1104

Davide1104

Hi frank, Nifty New Year to you!

I had already tried with 16 bit and it works properly
    I just wanted to take advantage of the ability to use 32-bit
    just because I have a very large mesh.

...hopeful for a future improvement! :)

anyway
    however, congrat for the asset is really awesome!

48. browne11

browne11

I'm having issues with water reflections after migrating to bakery. Aquas pro goes dark(still looks like water) but now it has no reflections.
    Once I cleared unity lighting and baked with Bakery it seems to be missing elements that make it look nice nice.

Any suggestions?

49. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi. The question is very blurry. There are thousands ways to render water reflections, and I've no idea how it works in your project. There is no direct link between lightmaps and reflections. The definition of "nice" is also a subjective measure.

Maybe share some screenshots with desired/broken water, preferably with clearly visible reflections? Perhaps I'll be able to see more from them.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  50. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Seriously tempting to install windows on my Mac just for this asset.
    I'm really impressed with the speed of your development.