Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. YouDesign

YouDesign

SH directional lightmaps looks very cool. I can't wait for try it in action...

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

And just in case you wondered... yes, all directional modes in the next version of Bakery will support baked specular. I'm including a new shader supporting all extra features.

ftspec.png
    ftspec2.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. samdpt

samdpt

Hey @guycalledfrank

I'm receiving an error currently, with regards to CUDA.

I'm using a GTX 1070, updated drivers, and I have CUDA toolkit 10 installed. Win10...

I've been able to bake other scenes but this one is particularly complicated, and it's giving me this error.

imgur link for error: https://imgur.com/1ZEoxik

4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi there! Do you have any area lights (aka Light Meshes) in your scene? There was an area light related bug found recently, and I can send you a fix.

5. samdpt

samdpt

I was able to solve by updating my Bakery version actually, to 1.3. Thanks!

6. samdpt

samdpt

Actually if you could explain the following it'd be great:

Basically all my lightmaps are being condensed to 1 4K map. I have a min resolution of 256 and a max of 4096. And yet I only get 1 map (attached imgur link below). This doesn't seem normal does it?

imgur: https://imgur.com/a/w3yBkUJ

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Seems normal to me. You have max size = 4096 and your scene happens to fit into 4096 (but not less), so it does.

8. Seith

Seith

@guycalledfrank Hi there. Just a quick question for you: is it possible to use Bakery with dynamic time-of-day? In other words would it be possible to "blend" between different sets of lightmapping to fake time-of-day progression (with proper shadows from the sun)?

9. HenriSweco

HenriSweco

Did the bug only affect light meshes with self-shadowing on? I could probably use the fix. Earlier I baked a scene successfully, but noticed I needed near samples on light meshes and after that I got that same CUDA error. So I'm currently trying to rebake with no self shadowing again just to get it done.

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'm going to add this feature, but it's not there yet. You can script it yourself, it doesn't matter if lightmaps come from Bakery or built-in lightmappers.

Yes, exactly. For anyone encountering this problem - just replace this file:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iT-lwnpGUeP68B2YPeSBKOtnzRWrXzee

Mark_01 and Seith like this.
  11. YouDesign

YouDesign

Wow! It`s look amazing!

12. MDK2k

MDK2k

A few quick questions about this asset.

How fast is it compared to the the Unity GPU lightmapper in beta?
    I'm seeing around 10x speed increase compared to CPU with the beta GPU lightmapper when looking at gigarays per second. Is this even faster? Not in a direct comparison with the same sample count, but with the end result and optix denoising.

When will there be RTX support and how much of a speed increase is that going give in an average case?
    My understanding is that RTX cards are roughly 6 times faster in doing pure ray tracing tasks. However rendering images or baking lightmaps also requires to do shading calculations that can't be done with RT cores. Depending on the complexity of the shaders the benefit of RTX varies. A really really simple shader will only take 1% of the render/baking time while a complex pixar production shader will take 50%. What will this ratio be with baking a scene using the standard pbr materials?

Does this support multiple GPU:s?

Can you bake just AO and nothing else with this?

I'm looking for a method to have some basic lighting done on some models really quickly with just ambient lighting. Is it possible to bake AO and nothing else with this asset? My current workaround is to bake AO in Maya with redshift. Takes around 2 minutes to bake a 8k texture, but it's not a proper lightmap obviosly.

Are there any good videos on this asset? I can't seem to find any with google?
    Would be so nice to see a video showing off the features. Would be a lot easier for people to make a purchase decision seeing how much stuff like optix denoising helps with bake quality. etc.

13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I didn't test it yet, but seems comparable. Maybe someone in the thread did a comparison?
    If nobody did, I'll take a look in a week.

If you have an RTX card, you should already get some boost, I think, since Bakery is based on nvidia tech (OptiX) that is known to take advantage of RTX. Maybe I'll have to update the library for that.
    I've no idea about speed increase though. I don't own an RTX card. If someone does, would be nice if they reported their render times for built-in scenes.

It's not as simple as that. RTX boosts ray-tracing routines, that's correct, but performance may vary with different scenes quite a bit, because of memory access speed (which is not different between, say, 1080 and 2080).

Yes, it should get faster with multiple GPUs (SLI).

AO is a range-limited simplification of ambient lighting. Instead of baking AO, you should bake Skylight instead, which will give you proper large scale ambient occlusion.
    Pure AO is also supported, but can't be baked separately at the moment.

I'm not aware of any good videos, but since I'm getting close to finishing the majority of features promised, I'll probably record something in near future.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  14. samdpt

samdpt

Hi again @guycalledfrank - wondering if you can chime in on another issue we're facing. The setup is this:

We're currently using a custom lightmap on the 2nd UV channel (UV set 1) on certain meshes. This appears to work fine according to your best practices. We are then using a Secondary Normal Map and applying this to the UV set 1. The following happens:

1. In-editor appears to look OK.
    2. At runtime, the shadow or Second Normal information distorts significantly, stretching to look much larger on the mesh
    Can you inform me what would be the appropriate workflow to apply a Second Normal Map on a mesh in Bakery? Is it any different than using Unity's light solver?

15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Good question - doesn't seem like it has anything to do with Bakery though, as lightmaps are applied by Unity in a regular fashion. Can you try checking this behaviour with built-in Unity lightmappers?

16. samdpt

samdpt

Hey ya it gave us the same problem actually so it's not a problem with your lightmapper :)
    I'm leaning toward thinking it's the Secondary Normal Map interfering with the UV set 1 (which AFAIK is being used for lightmaps in Unity right?)

Curious what your take is in on this! Thanks again

17. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

I had the same problem with Unity Enlighten. I solved with a custom shader, where the Normal map was moved to the UV3.

18. samdpt

samdpt

Hey also in regards to this, would you be able to send me that fix? :) thank you!

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

20. liudian208

liudian208

Hi frank, I like to use bake to vertex color tool, but the problem is that I can't use it when bake shadowmask, I have to bake it full lighting first then bake the shadowmask as before, then delete the lightmap generated for the part that I want to be baked to the vertex color. Is there an easier way?

21. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Vertex lightmaps currently don't support shadowmask. I'm going to add it to v1.4 though.

22. YouDesign

YouDesign

Do you have any plan about v1.4 release date? Sorry to bother you:) But new features it`s very impressive and i can't wait to try it`s;)

23. samdpt

samdpt

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hopefully 1-2 weeks.

lightwaterjohn and YouDesign like this.
  25. JohnDraisey

JohnDraisey

Been using Bakery for a day, and I'm blown away. Here's some images from the Ultimate FPS 2.0 demo. Reduced lightmap baking times, improved the quality significantly. I've never been happier!

Attached Files:

Mark_01, guycalledfrank and magique like this.
  26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks! Not sure I can see any baked lighting on these screenshots though - looks more like real-time shadows/specular everywhere :confused:

TooManySugar and Adam-Bailey like this.
  27. JohnDraisey

JohnDraisey

Oh, I'm using Distance Shadowmaps. So just the indirect is baked.

28. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

Fist amazing job... This is an amazing upgrade in speed. I have no idea why unity did not do this years ago. GPU ray tracing is not new.

However, I am having issues with emission maps. See the below.. .very bright yet no emission?

Any ideas?
    ScreenCap1_91668.png

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Do you use multiple materials on one mesh? There was a bug discovered earlier in the thread related to this, and I posted a solution.

30. MDK2k

MDK2k

Thanks for the quick answers.

As for the AO only baking that is a specific case where I would need to get some basic shadows to an interior CAD model without any extra work. So as automated as possible.

So basic sky lights wouldn't work due to walls and ceiling and neither would adding lights since it's extra manual work. That leaves ambient lights with baked AO. That would basically be a solution that worked every time regardless of the model and would give very clear visual feedback on the 3D-model.

31. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Well I can do a simple "Render AO only" button if that's what you want. AO code is already there, so shouldn't be too hard.

MDK2k and liudian208 like this.
  32. YouDesign

YouDesign

I have a some bug. After baking i press "Render Reflection Probes". Probes have been generated and work. But after exit from play mode or reopen project (or scene) Reflection Probes disappear. How i can repair this?

33. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

Yes it does I must have missed that thanks! I will go look. Again spectacular job.

34. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That seems to happen when you don't have any LightingDataAsset assigned to the scene. As a workaround, can you try baking some light probes and then reflection probes? Currently only light probe bake initializes the asset. Going to fix it for v1.4.

The fix is here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-3-released.536008/page-20#post-3732934

Mark_01 and YouDesign like this.
  35. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

ftUVGBufferGen.cs
    Line:213
    if (!vertexBake)
    {
    for(int j=0; j<uvOffset.Length/2; j++)
    {
    UpdateMatrix(worldMatrix, uvOffset[j*2] * texelSize, uvOffset[j*2+1] * texelSize);
    Graphics.DrawMeshNow(m, worldMatrix,i);
    }
    }
    else
    {
    UpdateMatrix(worldMatrix, 0, 0);
    Graphics.DrawMeshNow(m, worldMatrix,i);
    }

Worked great!

Thanks so much! I was having trouble finding it.

Great response times!
    On a side note do you have a road-map link to what else your planning in this amazing work?

36. YouDesign

YouDesign

Thanks, it`s work...

37. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I don't have a link, but a huge text file with changing priorities. Some cool things I finished today:
    - Vertex lightmaps now fully support shadowmask and all directional modes (Bakery shader or modifications to your own shader are required). Additional data is stored inside UV2/UV3.
    - It's not possible to set different resolution for color/mask/direction lightmaps. E.g. it's often useful to have low-res GI (it's often low frequency anyway), but high-res shadow masks. Saves memory. UV padding adjustment is applied based on lowest resolution map.

(pic: some new sliders and a sphere with SH lightmaps baked into vertices. There aren't too many vertices, so jaggies are expected)

upload_2018-10-4_1-1-0.png

Advanced mode is getting so many sliders, it now looks like some sort of an equalizer. You can imagine yourself being a graphics DJ now :confused:

CoastKid and YouDesign like this.
  38. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

can you set the default values of Backface GI to 1 and Texels per unit to 100 and turnoff the Adjust UV padding option?

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Why do you want these defaults exactly? Adjusting padding is something I would prefer to be enabled for the majority of cases, and texels=100 is a very large value if someone decides to try it on a city-sized map.

But I can imagine it can be too annoying for you to set the values every time you create a new scene... feels like I really should make presets for settings.
    For now you can try editing ftLightmapsStorage.cs file, the defaults are there.

40. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Hello, we seeing a few lightmaps come out rather empty... I remember (It's a long forum thread now) this being related to LOD's going into different maps?

2018-10-04 10_45_34.png

Is there a way to get Bakery "just pack as much as you can into as few maps" ? As you could imagine, when you get a handful of these at 8mb each then we're paying a lot of memory for lots of black pixels. :)

Cheers!

41. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes, exactly, a bug in how lightmaps are assigned to LODs. I'm going to look into it soon, pretty important to fix. Definitely has to be fixed for v1.4.

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Ah ok, great, thanks for the quick reply! :)
    Look forward to it!

43. Zomby138

Zomby138

Do vertex lightmaps store data in the vertex colors? Meaning you wouldn't be able to use vertex colors for anything else?

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes. But you can change the script to set the values to something else (e.g. to UVs).

45. LouisVanDerMerwe

LouisVanDerMerwe

RTX is unfortunately not that much faster. Sponza day: 4:21 on 1080, 3:19 on 2080ti. (10 texels per unit, 5 bounces, 32 samples on Win 1809 Unity 2017.4.12 Nvidia 416.16)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  46. Gametyme

Gametyme

Is that a 1080ti?

47. LouisVanDerMerwe

LouisVanDerMerwe

Nope standard 1080 FE

48. Gametyme

Gametyme

Yikes.

49. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...s-optix-5-1-support-the-turing-architecture-/

Applications written with the currently available OptiX 5.1 SDK will use the Turing SM and some parts of the RTCores for ray tracing and will use the Tensor cores for AI based Denoising. However the RTCores will not be fully used without a change to the API so you will not be able to hit the true potential of the RT Cores.

Seems like OptiX is not currently fully utilizing RTX, but they are working on it.
    Also Bakery uses 5.0.1. I'm going to update it to 5.1 (latest) and we'll see if it makes any difference.

50. neoshaman

neoshaman