Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tremault

tremault

my first answer would be, since i changed it back, essentially nothing has changed, but i feel I must apologise for wasting your time because I realised something. last time I had hidden my large terrain that i use as a distance LOD. I think i have been trying to bake without it hidden. my bad.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. kanu0009

kanu0009

Hello Frank,

I just wanted to ask since bakery uses the special shader for SH directional mode. Can they be modified with third party shader editor (such as amplify shader) to make complex shaders like vertex blending two or three different textures or they shouldn't be modified at all? Thank you.

DEEnvironment likes this.
  3. Deusald

Deusald

SickaGames1 likes this.
  4. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Constantly have issues merging these txt files in version control (Plastic SCM):

Any advice?

5. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmmm additive scene loading should work fine. If you just drag'n'drop scene2 into scene1, does it look correct? What code do you use to load scene2? Also, which Unity version do you use?

It's a bit complicated, as there are many ways to feed shaders to Unity.
    - Unlit shaders are rendered directly. These are very easy to modify and add any Bakery features. I can guide you through that.
    - "Surface" shaders are connected to shared engine code: [Surface->UnityCG.cginc->Render]. Since surface shaders can't output neither final color, nor indirect lighting, their extensibility is limited. Bakery shader is basically a huge copy of Unity's CGIncludes with added modifications.
    - As far as I understood, Amplify can generate various types of shaders that fit into the existing system. If you generate Surface shaders using Amplify, they are still surface shaders, and same limitations apply [ASE->Surface->UnityCG.cginc->Render].
    - Shadergraph: this one seems more promising, due to Baked GI node, and I'm gonna look into it soon...

Soon-ish. Meanwhile you can check the beta on github ;)

You should exclude these files from version control tracking. I never worked with PlasticSCM, but I'm sure it should be possible (in case of git they could be added to .gitignore list).
    These are log files, and it's not important to ever commit/merge them.

DEEnvironment and unity_dev3194 like this.
  6. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Thanks for responding. When it comes to version control, should we only be concerned about ftglobalstorage, ftlocalstorage and modified fbx assets?

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

- Don't commit local/global storage
    - Do commit model meta files if they changed

8. Jan_Hasse

Jan_Hasse

Hi Frank, we don't load a complete scene. We just load some objects from the second scene into the first scene.
    We are using 2018.3.6f1.

We create an assetbundle to save the needed objects. When loading objects, we load the object-informations one by one (position, linked objects, etc.) into the first scene.
    Loading a whole scene isn't dynamic enough for us, because we need to change single objects depending on our customers.

9. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Looking forward to it! I just tried to do a CPU bake of our HDRP project and one scene wanted 40 hours with 16 direct and 100 indirect... and broke the editor. GPU bakes with the built-in baker just come out awful.

Help us Obi-Bakery-Wan, you're my only hope

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Oh. How do you even do that? I thought you can only load the scene itself via LoadLevel(Async).
    Bakery stores an invisible object in each scene that initializes the lightmaps on init similar to how Unity suggests. This script stores the mapping between renderers and corresponding lightmaps.
    If for whatever reason you don't want to use LoadLevel, maybe you should take a look at Lightmapped Prefabs (check the docs), as these can be instantiated/copied/etc without losing their lightmaps.

Remote baking is finished (I think. More testing is needed. I'll just call it "beta" for now).
    Testing 2019 right now and... can't see anything wrong. Example scenes bake just fine, even the mentioned checker preview seems to work:

upload_2019-5-23_21-35-23.png

Anyone having problems with Bakery on 2019.1 (except for HDRP/LWRP - I'll test them separately), please list them here :)

Maybe it was a problem with early 2019s, but the current one is stable? Who knows.

fuzzy3d and RockSPb like this.
  11. Paratope

Paratope

Hello Frank,

Upon attempting to bake a large map with terrain and foliage the unity editor is hung at the "exporting scene" step

upload_2019-5-23_17-43-52.png

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The scene might be too large/complex in geometric sense, so it takes a long time to export it. You can try excluding painted terrain trees (if there are lots of them), as they can have a significant impact to memory/speed during the bake. Try setting exportTerrainTrees=false in ftBuildGraphics.cs.

13. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Has anyone encountered this error?

Attached Files:

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Any UnityUpgradable means Unity can (and has to) upgrade the scripts to your version of Unity.
    Reimport the package, click "I made a backup, go ahead".

15. Jan_Hasse

Jan_Hasse

Hi Frank,
    because oft he general requirements for the project we can’t load a whole scene. So we developed a system to save and load objects manually. All objects we need are saved in a file. This file contains the object name, the assetbundle and some other informations like references to other obejcts.

If we load the object, we use
    assetBundle.LoadAssetAsync<GameObject>(objname);
    to load the object.

After that we use
    GameObject temp = UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate(obj);
    to instantiate and after that we load the other saved informations into the object like position and references.

So if we could load the bakerydata for the object here manually it would be a possible workaround. If we could save the bakerydata somehow outside of the prefab as separate data/object manually this would be a possibility too.

The only requirement is that we can save the data in an assetbundle.

Right now we get the following errors. We cant overwrite the prefabs in our szene becuase of the references to other objects.

upload_2019-5-24_11-17-10.png

16. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Bakes are fine from what I've seen, it's purely the intensity matching we're having trouble with really. Which is just a matter of working out how to translate x lumens/lux/whatever into y intensity I guess?

17. Karan90

Karan90

Thank you so much for the reply. So using Dominant direction for shaders with multiple blended textures would be good in you're advice?

18. neoshaman

neoshaman

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/20/gpu-lightmapper-a-technical-deep-dive/
    I was looking at this, and I was wondering if there any publication about this "lightmap gbuffer raytracing" techniques ... google send me to bakery's blog post asap, seems like Unity take noticed @guycalledfrank, they even pose with the competitor you don't serve, and you also must have smile when I realized that the splatted point could just be a UV gbuffer too, I hadn't read your post then! I have bought this asset so long ago, but it was your advice that was worth the money lol, I hadn't had a lot of time yet, I haven't even tested, but I promise I'll make good use of your promised API once I'm ready, but I first need to get on speed on those zonal harmonics.

But I also have a question, even though I'm NOT working on that RTGI solution i have in mind (busy with life), thought just keep coming on their own. Nobody have asked for this yet, yet I think it could be very useful for rtgi, can a Bakery API allow to implement a way to compute bent normal cone? They would help discriminating rays, at least for far field radience (I can't have near field due to box projection approximation). I mean AO computation is already there, I guess it's just intercepting and accumulating the normal on top. However would it be possible to bake it per object UV space rather than lightmap UV space (though I wonder if an object space and a lightmap space normal can interact meaningfully, probably to compute different spatial frequency)?

19. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I've reimported bakery and still the issue persists. Or are you saying I need to reimport my whole project?

20. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I also kept the lightmaps could that be causing an issue?

21. HenriSweco

HenriSweco

Was it that denoising is technically always handled by RTX features if your GPU has them since it goes through CUDA, even if you don't have the RTX mode selected in Bakery? I'm thinking my RTX 2080 Ti has issues, relating to other issues I've had with it. But currently representing themselves as such: After a long PC uptime denoising a Bakery render will hang the computer, get stuck or straight up bluescreen my computer. But will work normally after a reboot.

22. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Hey Frank,

I'm having issues with syncing my project from my PC to my laptop with git.

This is a screenshot of baked indirect lighting on my PC:

This is a screenshot of the same project after pushing to git, and pulling on my mac:

I'm using unity 2018.3.8f1 and the latest Bakery. The models all have generated UVs and everything except the car is static.

What could be causing these artifacts?

23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

The data is in an invisible object called "!ftraceLightmaps". You can try using your system to save/load it.

Ah, I see. One baked prefab can only have one lightmap that will be always instantiated along with it, that's kinda the point.

Seems like in your case you should try to manually save/load values. You can even omit using my script entirely and just save these values for each object:
    Renderer.lightmapIndex
    Renderer.lightmapScaleOffset
    LightmapSettings.lightmaps[ Renderer.lightmapIndex ]

Turned out a bit more complicated than that, as HDRP light attenuation behaves kinda differently. I'm working on it right now.

Sure, why not?

Haha I doubt I'm the first one to invent this technique, as it's kinda the first idea that comes to mind when deciding to render something to UVs :)

I think it can already do that, if you bake ambient occlusion in dominant direction mode. What you'll get will be the average unoccluded direction. AO map itself can be then used as cone width.

You can make a script that would put a Lightmap Group on every object and set its mode to "Original UVs". Bakery then will produce 1 named lightmap per object using unmodified UV2 (or UV1, if UV2 isn't present).
    Direction will be in world space.

Are there any non-Bakery console errors that prevent Unity from compiling other scripts? On a previous page someone had a similar problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-55-released.536008/page-58#post-4541890
    If issue persists, you should contact Unity support. I don't have control over Unity's script upgrading system and it should work.

Rreviously rendered scene lightmaps? No, definitely not a problem.

Denoising currently does not use RTX accelleration.

Tried updating GPU driver?
    If that doesn't work, PM me. I can rebuild the denoiser with a newer (RTX-aware) version of the library, maybe it will help!

Make sure that:
    - Other machine has Bakery scripts (at least a few necessary ones)
    - You pushed scene, lightmaps and any changed model .meta files.
    - You didn't push ftGlobalStorage.asset and ftLocalStorage.asset (if you did, try deleting them and clicking Reimport on incorrectly looking models)

24. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

I have the entire bakery directories in my gitignore so ftGlobalStorage.asset and ftLocalStorage.asset were not pushed. I downloaded Bakery separately on each machine from the asset store. The scene and lightmaps were definitely pushed.

Any other ideas?

25. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That should definitely work then. Can you check if it does works on the same (non-mac) machine?
    Were *.meta files for FBX models also pushed?

26. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Works perfectly on the windows machine. None of the FBX mesh meta files are in the gitignore so I assume they're all being pushed.

27. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

hello, can someone help me? i tried to use bakery for the first time and just used the default settings to bake my scene but everytime i get an error

Error: Unknown error. See .ftracelog.txt for details. (1)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    <RenderLightmapFunc>c__Iterator3:MoveNext() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:4126)
    ftRenderLightmap:RenderLightmapUpdate() (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2827)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

and i dont know where to find the ftracelog.txt

28. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

In a different project? I can only assume Unity unwrapper works differently on Win/Mac and then it would also break scenes baked using built-in lightmappers.
    Can you send me a meta file of the broken model? Or, just open it in a notepad and see if there is any mention of Bakery. If there is, try reimporting the model. If there isn't, apparently the file failed to sync.

Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/.ftracelog.txt

So I managed to get light matching working for point, spot (cone) and directional lights (fancier lights like rectangles or tubes are better imitated with a Light Mesh). Got it uploaded to github, give it a try.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  29. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

here is the error part of the logfile, i hope this will help to help me

Init...
    fixpos12
    Loading geometry...
    Loading alphas...
    Tile size: 512
    Used host memory: 0mb, available GPU memory: 4967mb
    MODE: fixpos12
    USING FLOAT
    Load shaders...
    Loading shader fixPos12.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader lambert_backface_check.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader shadow.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader trimesh.ptx::intersect...
    Loading shader trimesh.ptx::bbox...
    Loading shader heightfield.ptx::intersect...
    Loading shader heightfield.ptx::bbox...
    Create buffer...
    Num passes: 2
    Num tex: 2
    Pass uvpos_steampunk_LM0.lz4_HDR...
    Skipping pass Mask
    Launch 8x8 tiles...
    Tile 0x0...
    Streaming...0
    nFNFPFSd
    Launching...
    Error (1282): Memory allocation failed (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2D" caught exception: Out of memory)

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

From the docs:

-----
    Q: I get an “Out of memory” error.

A: That means rendering needed more video memory from your GPU than it has.

If you have terrains in your scene, make sure Terrain optimization is enabled.
    -----

31. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Reimporting the assets fixed it. Sorry for wasting your time with unity specific questions.

32. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

I made a fresh project and baked indirect lighting for a tree. I ignored bakery except for the 5 files the docs says to include.

This was on the PC:

This was on the mac:

I put it on github here if you want to take a look: https://github.com/the-mr-matt/bakery-test

Found this in the meta file of one of the broken models: - '#BAKERY{"meshName":["Pine01"],"padding":[20]}'

Also, I should have mentioned earlier, I'm using LWRP too.

33. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

is it normal that the UV padding needs so damn long? i was waiting about 2 hours(still 0%) and then i broke it off

34. kanu0009

kanu0009

Hi Frank. Using Bakery in 2019.1 and I find some issues with skylight (I find this in 2018.3.8). It produces artefacts. Not sure what could be the reason. I have attached the screenshots with skylight using default intensity when you match it with the sky, one where I lowered the intensity and third one without a skylight. I was using hemispherical checked on an HDRI image for the sky.

With Normal skylight (Matching to the sky Intensity) 1.withskylight.jpg closeup.jpg
    With Skylight (Low intensity)
    usinglowintensityskylight.png 3_withlowskylight.jpg
    No skylight
    noskylight.png

35. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

i updated with the github updates and the pudding process is now faster, but now it crashes everytime in different ways, sometimes with error window, sometimes not... it's a bit frustrating that a normal bake process seems not to work for me...

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

On my PC your scene looks like your Mac screenshot.
    Somehow script references in your scene are broken:

upload_2019-5-26_12-21-55.png

That could happen if you opened the scene without any scripts present and then copied them later. You can use the attached script (Bakery->Debug select storage) to test if the script is linked correctly.

It calls Unwrapping.GenerateSecondaryUVSet inside. You can disable it in advanced settings.

Update itself unlikely made it faster, it's just adjustment only needed once for every model/resolution.

I need exact error messages in order to help you.

Pillar looks too low-res to me. It's likely a neighbouring UV chart leaked something and then seam fixer smeared it further. Maybe try increasing its Scale in Lightmap. Can be also related to weird normals. Floor/ceiling: are they double-sided and very thin? That could confuse Bakery leak prevention code. I can debug this scene if you can provide the model.

Attached Files:

37. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sooo seems like it only allows to read baked lighting, not write it. The code of this node is buried deep in each SRP's read-only code. I can of course make an alternative node with a similar behaviour, but the question is, where do you plug the output? You can put albedo*lightmap to Emission output and set Albedo to 0 to prevent double lighting, but that would break realtime lights. Same problems as with Surface shaders sadly. What we need is a kind of "Ambient color" output.

DEEnvironment likes this.
  38. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

here an image of some error

Attached Files:

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Ignore "incorrect UVs", that's actually seems like a common case with many models, so I changed it from error to warning in the upcoming version.
    The last error looks like you went out of (non-video) memory during scene export (before the bake started).
    - How complex is the scene?
    - What is the size of your RAM?
    - Before you click Render, how much RAM is already used (you can check it in Task Manager -> Performance)

40. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

because of the buildings i use, the scene is very complex, the buildings have a lot of details and so on, about 8 million of polygons together..
    i have currently 24 GB RAM DDR3 and befor i start the render about 5 GB is using for the other random stuff on my computer

41. jack_unity795

jack_unity795

Hey Frank,

I'm working on a project that utilises Bakery and everything bakes fine however there are some concerns that our interior spaces are too dark. We have tried boosting the indirect in the 'Hacks' section to help raise the brightness but this blows out the areas in direct light, so it's not an ideal solution.

Our current solution, however, is to use Area Lights on portals to help boost/fake some of the direct and indirect light coming into the space. Although this works, it is increasing bake times substantially.

We were wondering if you are able to offer any advice or solutions that we can try to boost the lighting in these interior spaces.

I have attached a screenshot below to illustrate our 'problem'.

Cheers,
    Jack

Bakery_Dark_Interiors_Example.jpg

Attached Files:

42. HenriSweco

HenriSweco

If there's enough light information, have you tried a separate indoor post process volume or just auto exposure?

jack_unity795 and guycalledfrank like this.
  43. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Wow. OK the scene is huge, but 24 GB is also quite serious. After you get the last error, can you show the contents of Unity console (with all info/warnings/errors visible)? That might give a clue about the last task it tried to perform.

Hi Jack! Some things to try:
    - Increase GI sample count (Try 64. That should be enough. Higher values might be too much).
    - Make interior albedo textures brighter. Brighter surfaces reflect more light.
    - Try using tonemapping. This kind of contrast can be expected in real world as well (using a real camera in manual mode makes you notice the huge difference in exposure settings needed for exterior/interior shots). Many games use automatic exposure adaptation, some just place triggers that change it (or yeah, postprocess volumes).

jack_unity795 and KarolisO like this.
  44. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

I put that script in both that tree test project and my actual project. The links are broken in that test project like your screenshot, but it works fine in my actual project (by fine I mean the links are ok, still has artifacts).

I have since baked a few more levels of my game. Still has artifacts on my mac, but from what I can see, the artifacts are only in the trees. None of the other models appear to have been affected. Since the models use generated lightmap uvs, I wonder if unity is regenerating the UVs on my mac? That would explain the artifacts - the baked lightmaps wouldn't line up anymore.

45. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Nevermind that, I found some other models that were also affected.

46. SamuelAuzols

SamuelAuzols

Hi. Sorry if anyone has already answered this question. I'm trying to bake a terrain ground The shadows make it super good. But, the normals map disappear and remove all the sensation of relief of the ground. I tried to navigate among the options but nothing makes them appear.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Thank you for this wonderful asset!

upload_2019-5-27_2-55-42.png

47. kanu0009

kanu0009

Yes, Frank. The meshes are single face plane and pillar is a simply extended cube with bevel. They had 4 pixels space between uvs for lightmap. But I was using thick meshes as shadow casters behind them. Can that cause the issue? I was using them more for testing. However, I tried it with default unity cube meshes and the result was good.

Skylight only
    skylight.jpg

48. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Fantastic! When I have a spare half hour I’ll give it a whirl. Do you have any plans to support generating a light mesh for tube and rectangular lights? Unity doesn’t even bake tube lights right now (and doesn’t warn you about that...) so you’d be jumping ahead of their own lightmapper in that department. Perhaps I’m asking too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

49. tgb1592006

tgb1592006

I'm a Bakery user,of late,I have some question In my project,I have use the assetBundle to load my scenes, but there have some question!!!
    When i load my fisrt scene,it's a very good scene,But ,When i load my second scene ,it will be a bad scene.
    then, I find my scene error,I find when i load second scene ,The second scene will be load the first scene first index lightmap.then will be error scene.
    Can anyone help me ?
    This is an urgent problem to be solved!!!!

50. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

jea. now i have a new problem, in the exporting scene process my screen becomes dark for some seconds and when my screen show me the desktop again unity is closed... i watched also in the task manager, in the process he takes the whole 24 GB RAM