Search Unity

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tremault

tremault

Hi, my ram is being completely hammered by "exporting scene". My computer is pretty much completely locked up and I can't do anything.(I'm posting this from my phone). I updated my drivers beforehand and I set bakery to very low settings, and my scene is really not that complex. There's only 4 lights. The only really complexity is that there are a lot of trees. That shouldn't be doi g this though because I've run this once before with higher settings and it got past this bit without killing my machine. I stopped it because I realised I had the wrong settings and now it's doing this.

2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Are there any special components on speedtrees? Or do their materials always have a common keyword?

Trees can be disabled by setting exportTerrainTrees = false in ftBuildGraphics.cs. They might be not a good fit for lightmapping.

3. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

First insure you are using the latest version of bakery from asset store
    1. turn off / uncheck static for all speedtree in your inspector window (Yes include "Change children")
    - you should now be able to bake without spamming console errors from the effected speed tree objects

As speedtree would no longer baked they may turn black in color … to fix this you could add light probes into your project. When using light probes for speed tree you may need to change the speed tree light probe settings under "Mesh render" to "blend probes".. I see you are using Gaia products so I suggest you consult with the Gaia procedural world team as they have many great tools for automatically adding light probes. :)

to address your question regarding organizing of your console errors, the asset store has several great tools such as "Console" Enhanced Pro, however I am not aware of any free versions that support your need.. Note if you purchase a tool that also does enhanced "hierarchy" functions it may interfere with your baking process and such combined console/hierarchy tools should be avoided so you could shut off any enhanced hierarchy tools prior to baking and still keep the console enhancements active .. ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    guycalledfrank likes this.
  4. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

Capture SpeedTreeShader.PNG

5. tremault

tremault

thank you for these tips. so this will ensure my ram doesn't get completely battered? I'll try this tomorrow, turning trees to non static. thanks. :)

6. HenriSweco

HenriSweco

Hey, I came across a curious problem I don't think I've seen before. The scene baked normally before just fine but this one time, boosted a little texels to leave a render to the night. Came back the next day to find almost all lightmaps tinted red.

Some closed off bathrooms with a single point light still were white/normal with the red trying to bleed in from some corner.

If anyone has come across this I sure would like to avoid it from happening again. But I'll start a rebake for now with old settings.

Attached Files:

7. killmebboy

killmebboy

After adjusting, I didn't get the error, but got this message "Object __ExportTerrain was destroyed mid-export"

By the way, can the tree from the terrain be baked?

8. Ermask

Ermask

Hello. I'm using bakery in a indoor scenary, and i want to prepare two light sets for the scene. With the lights of the house turned onf and turned off. Is there a way (or ways) to do this using bakery. I'll be very grateful if somebody can point me to a usefull info link, or tutorial. Thanks a lot.

9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'm not sure if that's the case though, might be something else.

That's quite weird. I noticed something similar sometimes going on when you're close to VRAM limit, yet not sure how to detect it. Keep me posted if it ever repeats.

Please check if there are any objects names __ExportTerrain in the scene and delete them. Exporter may create them, I wonder if it failed to also destroy them after your previous error.

Yes, they're baked by default.

Currently some scripting is needed to achieve that. Take a look at:
    LightmapSettings.lightmaps
    Renderer.lightmapIndex
    Renderer.lightmapScaleOffset

In fact, if only lights are changing between 2 sets, you should be able to just copy LightmapSettings.lightmaps after baking to your own script and then set them at runtime.

10. DerekYC

DerekYC

Hi Frank! Any news on light probe stuff that would make procedurally generated environments with probes less painful?

11. Balours

Balours

Hi,
    I'm testing the remote baking on a big and complex scene and I'm getting this error :
    Server: ftrace error: Can't decompress UVGBuffer position (5091)

How can I help you debug this?
    Thanks,

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not yet (but will work on that). Finishing xatlas support and network baking at the moment.

Can you see if disabling GI VRAM optimization helps (set to Force Off)? Currently it's not supported for remote baking.

m4d likes this.
  13. Balours

Balours

Same error message.
    I'm pretty sure it comes from the terrible uvmapping of the models in the scene.

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Definitely doesn't. Does the same scene work locally (not remotely)? Can you also send me server log (.ftracelog.txt)?

15. Balours

Balours

Yes it works locally.
    Sent you a a pm with the .ftracelog.txt

16. NoeV

NoeV

Hi Frank !

First of all, thank you for the software, it make me save a ton of time !
    Recently, my bakes do not end properly, im trying to bake an entire shool for a client. (large outdoor area and very detailed interior) My settings are 15 texel / units, 2 bounces and 16 samples with GI Vram forced on.
    The bake can just stop at any percents of progress (last one was 44%) And i was wondering if the cause could be a too high number of lights in the scene. (i probably have like one hundred)
    Also, in (in the same scene) i cant bake my lights probes, because the progress is blocked at 3% every time.
    At each "block" i wait at least a night just to be sure ^^'

Im kind of a noob in lightning, but I appreciate the attention you will pay to this message !

(Also sorry for the mistakes im not english native ^^)

17. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Are there any errors in console when it stops?

Number of lights is never a problem, as they are processed sequentially, in separate passes. They can only make baking time slower and possibly use more of your HDD, but that's it.

18. Justin-Wasilenko

Justin-Wasilenko

Hi I did a quick search but didn't find a answer. I am using Unity 2018.4 and just tried importing Bakery for the first time and I am getting the following errors when importing:

'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete:
    'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.PathTracer' is obsolete:
    'Use Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.ProgressiveCPU'

'LightmapEditorSettings.Lightmapper.Radiosity' is obsolete:
    'Use Lightmapper.Enlighten instead. (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.LightmapEditorSettings/Lightmapper.Enlighten'

I tried running the API updater on the scripts but it didn't fix them. Also tried reimoprting with no luck.

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It should. Everything with (UnityUpgradable) is upgraded by API updater. Make sure you don't have any other (non-Bakery) scripts that fail to compile in the project, as it might prevent API updater from running.

20. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

Hello again,
    Wondering if there's any news regarding integration with VRChat to alleviate the need to use the VRC Bakery adapter.

21. keeponshading

keeponshading

fyi. Probably Bakery could also take a benefit from such an simple solution.
    https://github.com/kemalakay/BakeManager

most helpful from my site would be

- bake all your scenes in batch
    different settings, different lighting situations,....
    for testing and so on....

m4d and guycalledfrank like this.
  22. Justin-Wasilenko

Justin-Wasilenko

I deleted it, and reimported it and still had the same issue.
    To get it to work I imported into a new empty project and then copied the contents into my project. Not sure why that happened now off to give it a try :)

23. NoeV

NoeV

Yes, usually, i have the "Error (1282): Memory allocation failed (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2D" caught exception: Out of memory)" but I've seen on the forum and on the manual that you already answer the problem by setting GI Vram forced on, witch i did.
    I will send you the entire .ftracelog by PM if that is ok !

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You should probably ask VRChat devs, it's up to them now :)

Oh yeah, this is nice!

Weird yeah! I wonder if API updater was somehow disabled in your project? Glad it works now.

Interesting. Does it happen when it's going to bake GI or on some of the lights? ftracelog would help, yes.

25. b4th

b4th

Hi @guycalledfrank, just wanted to chime in and let you know that I've been seeing several occasions of rgb2tga crashing somewhat randomly and causing renders to fail. This seems to happen after I've changed settings like an object's 'Scale in Lightmap' or a model's Lightmap UV generation settings, and it seems to keep happening until I revert or change the atlasing of the lightmap in some way again. I can't find any information about rgb2tga online. Is it a tool you've developed? And if so, is there any way I can provide crash dumps or log output to help you diagnose this issue?

26. Loards

Loards

Hi! Just a question, do you plan to add a sustractive mode for the LWRP?? Because the actual "mixed" mode does not work properly in LWRP, either you have Global GI and Realtime Direct lighting (but not indirect baked GI from Directional light) or fully baked lighting.

thanks!

27. fseraph1

fseraph1

Hi @guycalledfrank
    recently I want to switch our main bake backend to bakery, but I found many of our scene encounter a 719 error, when GI is on , we will get Error (-1): Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2D" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaDriver().CuMemcpyDtoHAsync( dstHost, srcDevice, byteCount, hStream.get() ) returned (719): Launch failed)
    any suggestions? if this problem persist we can't switch to this great baking tool. pls help!
    ========================================================================
    Init...
    texgi
    Loading geometry...
    Loading alphas...
    Tile size: 512
    Used host memory: 0mb, available GPU memory: 6514mb
    MODE: texgi
    USING HALF
    Loading additional lightmap: terrain_a1_LM0_diffuse_HDR.lz4
    LM is half
    Loading additional lightmap: terrain_a1_LMA1_diffuse_HDR.lz4
    LM is half
    Load shaders...
    Loading shader lmTexGI.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader lambert_tex_gi2.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader shadow3.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader trimeshTex.ptx::intersect...
    Loading shader trimeshTex.ptx::bbox...
    Loading shader heightfieldTex.ptx::intersect...
    Loading shader heightfieldTex.ptx::bbox...
    Create buffer...
    Num passes: 3
    Num tex: 3
    Skipping pass LDR
    Pass terrain_a1_LMA1_final_HDR...
    Skipping pass HDR2
    Launch 4x4 tiles...
    Tile 0x0...
    Streaming...0
    npHD
    Launching...
    Used host memory: 0mb, available GPU memory: 6391mb
    -----
    Mem stats:
    Total: 123
    Alphas: 1
    GI albedos: 16
    GI lightmaps: 64
    Light data: 0
    Output: 32
    UV GBuffer: 7
    Scene: 8195
    -----
    Tile 1x0...
    Streaming...0
    npHD
    Launching...
    Error (-1): Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2D" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaDriver().CuMemcpyDtoHAsync( dstHost, srcDevice, byteCount, hStream.get() ) returned (719): Launch failed)

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  28. ViewportAU

ViewportAU

After selecting a group and clicking on "Render Selected Groups"
    The process get stuck on "Progress [100%] Finished rendering" / Waiting for Unity editor focus and I need to restart unity to see the changes.
    Some more background: I am changing the lightmap folder so I can get one scene lighting map in one folder and all the assets (Selected Groups) lightmaps in different folders. Also on the same Render selected Group, i am using "Bakery lightmapped Prefab" so I can populate the scene dynamically with the baked prefabs, Unfortunately is not only getting stuck but also the prefabs doesn't carry the lightmap or the mapping coordinates gets bananas. (tested Original UV, Pack Atlas and Vertex) and also I am loosing all the scene lightmap connection.

EDITED ////////////////
    I solve the stuck bug by moving the "Bakery Lightmapped Prefab" script on top of "Bakery Lightmap Group Selector"script, now I need to solve the problem of lightmaps artifacts on selected groups (meshes UVW channels, scales, normals, etc. are OK) so I don't know what else to do.

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes, it's pretty simple. Never seen it crashing. If you can provide me the input .lz4 file (commandline can be seen in Unity console), I'll debug.

Adding subtractive mode right now, have it semi-working already! Not sure how it works in LWRP though, will take a look (hopefully it's compatible with the standard one).

Try disabling "Terrain optimization" in experimental settings.

I think you should be able to just move asset files post-bake (in Unity's asset window or via AssetDatabase scripting, not Windows explorer!)
    Render Selected Groups might be broken/not compatible with some things like baked prefabs. Use with caution.

30. kainoo

kainoo

Hey,

We've been having a weird issue with our project for the past week, where sometimes the point lights would completely ruin the scene. The scene renders completely fine using only Skylight, Directional Lights and Area Lights, but as soon as a point light is added into the baking process the scene becomes completely black when the denoiser is activated, or completely white when the denoiser is deactivated. The problem seems to be in the GI steps, as with 0 GI steps the results look all right, but after 2 steps the lightmap is completely broken.

Evolution of the settings with only a single point light in the scene above the table. The point light is set in omni mode with an intensity of 2. It doesn't change in any of those renders.
    BakeryBug.jpg

And here the weird part: this is the same scene rendered using only Skylight, Directional and Area Lights.
    screen_5120x2880_2019-05-16_17-31-25.png

I don't think it is a VRAM issue as our RTX 2080 Ti never reported more than 3GB/11GB usage. All of those renders were made using RTX, but I tested it with RTX off and got the same result once. I've removed all emissive materials from the scene in the above screenshots, thinking it might be that.

One thing to note is that when I remove the furniture from the scene, the rendering works out fine.

I don't know what to do, and I've went back to Unity Lightmap for the time being until I find a solution.

Thanks for any help !

31. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Facing a problem with LODs being really really bright. Seems to happen randomly and only happening to LOD groups:

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Weird! Does point light have "Physical falloff" enabled? Is "Indirect intensity" == 1 or something else? Any directional mode enabled?

Do you have any scene where it can be reproduced? Does it happen in this scene if you remove most objects except the problematic ones?

kainoo likes this.
  33. kainoo

kainoo

Thinking I might've messed up one setting or another, I just created a new GameObject and added the point light component from the AddComponent menu on it. Physical falloff is turned off and indirect intensity is still at the value of 1. The screenshots all use "Dominant direction" as a directional mode.

That's one potential issue I see. But I'll have to scramble through all the combinations of Meshes in the scene to be able to determine what causes the issue.

34. SquallLiu

SquallLiu

How do we share the baking result to other PCs?
    We use TortoiseSVN for managing projects, and use only one PC to bake lightmap.
    After baking, other PCs update and get lighting data.

The PC which bakes lightmap always has correct results.
    However other PCs get wrong results after updating, despite they have the same lighting data and index.

We only upload generated lighting data and scene from the baking PC.
    Is there anything we also need to copy?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  35. omacha

omacha

If you use "Adjust UV Padding" in the bake settings, you need to upload additional data. I don't know exactly where all is situated, but I believe it is defined in the model's Metadata (.meta file) and also in the scene file.

Attached Files:

36. elamhut

elamhut

Hey Squall, I've struggled with that more than anything. Your problem is that you're baking with "Adjust UV Padding" turned on.What this does is that it basically adjusts the UVs of each object PER SCENE. So let's say you have a Rock Wall and you use that same rock in your entire game because you're making a game inside a cave. If you bake lightmap on scene 1 Bakery will readjust that rock's UV for that scene, then if you bake scene 2 you'll break scene 1. When you send those lightmaps that work wonderfully to your tream it'll be completely broken.

My advice is: don't try even to unclick Adjust UV, it's not reliable. If a member of your team forgets to click and bake lightmaps and commit it, they'll break all your lightmaps. Re-open all the assets UV2's on Maya, this way you can uncheck the "Generate Lightmap UV" checkbox on Unity's model importer and Bakery can't touch objects that don't have this checkbox enabled.

I really hate the Adjust UVs option and I wish frank would just get rid of it... because we were having so much trouble with this, we basically had to have our 3d artist manually open every single UV2 on Maya so we could REALLY uncheck the "Generate Lightmapp UVs". This was the only option that was reliable in baking lightmaps and sending them over through TortoiseHg.

In case you don't have time to redo every single asset's UV2 in your 3d software do this:
    - Uncheck Adjust UV Padding
    - Right click ALL your 3d models, reimport them (this will reset all UV2 to their basic state)
    - Bake lightmaps
    If someone accidentally bakes with Adjust UV Padding enabled, you just reimport the models again (so you reset your assets and UV2s to the state they are in every other scene) on that computer and bake everything again without Adjust UV padding

--

@guycalledfrank

Hey Frank,

I recently bought a 2070 and I've been doing some RTX Baking, but this particular (very big) scene is completely broken and giving me errors, could you give me a hand?

I also couldn't find where this log file is located, can you point its location to me so I can send you?

Cheers!

37. SquallLiu

SquallLiu

Thanks but still not working.
    Without Adjust UV Padding we still get wrong results on other PCs.
    Maybe it's due to Unity version?
    We use 2018.4.0f1 which Bakery hasn't tested on.

38. SquallLiu

SquallLiu

Wow, thanks this is a good hint.
    So basically it's recommended to disable both Generate Lightmapp UVs and Adjust UV Padding?
    We will try that.
    Thanks

39. billowe

billowe

Hi, I'm wondering what the best practices are for rendering GI to use in multiple lighting scenarios.

My workflow with Unity's baked "Realtime GI" option has been to bake with no lights in the scene and use real-time lights, which gives me some decent results for indirect interior lighting, though not as good as a proper bake would be.

Ideally I'd like to bake the scene sky/direct and then be able to swap between multiple bakes at runtime... something that can be done with something like this tool, but maybe Bakery has a superior solution?

40. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I wonder if disabling dominant direction will make any difference?

Read FAQ section.

Exactly.

Unity unwrapper uses arbitrary identical padding value for all meshes inside a model. Adjusting fixes many light leaking problems due to inadequately packed charts. Getting rid of it is not an option. Managing it in a better less fragile way is something that should be addressed though. The real problem is that Bakery is only scene-aware, not project aware. It's not yet clear to me how to solve it.
    A quick thing that can be done is to allow saving scene settings as defaults for any newly created scene. Then you could disabling adjusting once per machine and forget about it.

Out of memory problems are also covered in FAQ now.

By default it's Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/.ftracelog.txt
    Usually only a few pages above the error are enough (full file size can be large).

kainoo likes this.
  41. tremault

tremault

I've also been experiencing this error. I ran through the debugger and discovered it was a render texture throwing up this issue. at least for me it was. Just thought I'd let you know :)

42. tremault

tremault

Thanks, I have successfully baked some of my scenes with the terrain and trees set to non-static in lightmap. I will investigate further to see if I can fix the UVs on unity speed trees. I'll post back if I succeed so other people can benefit.

43. elamhut

elamhut

I get why you don't remove the Adjust UV Padding option, I'm just frustrated of the amount of work hours I've lost due to this thing...

Thanks, I'll bake again tonight and see if it works :)!

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I really want to simplify this workflow a lot. But for now you can do it via scripting, see my reply to Ermask:
    Hmm I can see it can be a problem indeed. I added a check for RenderTexture and made error messages more readable and not stopping the bake.

OK, should be less of a problem now :)

upload_2019-5-18_11-17-56.png

45. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

@guycalledfrank I know it hasn’t been long since I asked but have you had a chance to play with the HDRP light settings much yet? Right now we can’t really use Bakery with HDRP as the lighting settings don’t really match up at all - getting support for lux, lumens, etc would be a big help there I imagine. Bakery’s light matching puts intensities at huge values compared to Unity’s built in mapper and the whole scene lights up like a Christmas tree :(

Working out a multiplier to convert one of the values to Bakery Intensity would be enough to get things going really. Doing it by eye is a rather time consuming process

Could really do with switching back to Bakery as the Progressive GPU mapper seems to make a blotchy mess of our scenes right now

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  46. attaway

attaway

Hey I'm noticing that the Bakery Skylight/Skybox shader isn't working on VR singlepass instancing stereo rendering mode. The skybox only appears in one eye. Do you plan on adding support for this in the future?
    Or is it alright to update the shader following the guidelines at https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SinglePassInstancing.html?

47. tremault

tremault

hi, another question. first time i baked lighting in my scene it finished in less than half an hour i am sure. I changed some settings and it didn't work out, now i put the settings back and trying to bake again. now it;s been taking over 3 hours and still going. any idea why this may be and what i can do to refresh it?

48. kainoo

kainoo

Changing the directional mode did not resolve the issue. Apparently the table present in the screenshots is the cause. When I remove it, everything works fine, but I can't reproduce the bug in a separate scene. Really weird, I'll get back to you in case I can figure out more details.

Edit: about the table, it has some really thin mesh details between the planks, I don't know if that could be the issue

49. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Not yet. Will try to do that for the next release (I should really release it already!)

Things left for v1.6:
    - Finish remote baking (it doesn't support GI VRAM optimization at the moment).
    - Test latest 2019 Unity extensively and make sure all works (including HDRP/LWRP).
    - New docs (the ole googledoc just doesn't cut it, according to same questions repeating every week. I'm going to make a wiki instead).
    - Shadergraph integration for HDRP/LWRP.

Ha, interesting. Bakery skybox shader is just a standard skybox shader with a few tweaks. It was based on the one from 5.6 though. I checked the newer one and noticed some instancing defines, patched them in, attached. Check if it works.

No idea really. The description is kinda vague, more details (what changed exactly) are needed.

Weird indeed. Any repro scene would help immensely. Are UVs custom or auto-generated in Unity?

Attached Files:

50. Jan_Hasse

Jan_Hasse

Hello Frank,

we have a problem with our lightmaps baked with bakery:

First a little explanation:

We have two different Unity scenes. A room (scene1) where we can choose different scenes to load, and a scene (scene2) which will be loaded via runtime.
    We baked scene1 and scene2 seperately and they look nice when started on their own.

If we play scene1, and want to go to scene2, we load every single object from scene2 into scene1.

Our problem now is, that the objects from scene2 doesnt have the lightmap assigned, which was baked before.
    Is there a way to connect every object with the baked lightmap? It seems that the loaded objects dont know, that they were baked before.

Baked scene2, when started
    https://imgur.com/a/4mPec4i

Same room when loaded into scene1 (Lightmap missing?)
    https://imgur.com/a/tdfdjA9

Hope you understand our problem :D

Greetings,
    Jan