Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

2. ginconic

ginconic

It works with 5.6, which by itself is an instant buy. And it works well. Also has source.

One thing I suggest as a feature is adding a mesh inflation (push) setting. It will help people who have been forced by evil architects to light up intricately modeled interior scenes (you know who you are).

Here it is with a push of 0.01 (which is pretty arbitrary). On some of the spots it helps (and on the left it makes it worse; also looks like self shadow kicked in). Point is someone sometime out there will probably thank you for it..

gpugi_thankyou.jpg

Nice to see an assetstore award winner in the making ;)

guycalledfrank likes this.
  3. one_one

one_one

Congratulations on the release! As a quick heads up: it's more or less general practice to include a link to the forum topic and possibly also the documentation to allow users to get a better overview of the asset.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Just notice you bake lightprove too? I mean is it only lppv or tetra probe equally?

5. Kubic75

Kubic75

Mr-F, nice to see you´re also working for PlayCanvas, my favourite WebGL-engine ;)
    Wanna buy Bakery but the assetstore is down for the moment :confused:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  6. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

7. YouDesign

YouDesign

Hi. Great work. Realesed version contains vertex-baked lightmaps? If yes, where i can find it?

And may be you can give some advise about baking terrain with trees using your utility?

8. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yay, it's finally released!

Didn't do this, but instead attempted to always use one optimal pushoff (aka ray bias). For every texel I automatically calculate the smallest number that works without artifacts. I wouldn't mess with it manually, because you can easily lose shadows from small details.

Bounces only obey physical laws (well, their approximation). Bakery should match any unbiased renderer (such as Mitsuba) in terms of GI.
    Sometimes I see people complaining about indirect light being too dark on various software without understanding real world light intensities. For example, real sun is very bright, it's so bright, that it would look overexposed in Unity, but would give just a right amount of bounced light. Solution: use tonemapper on your camera. Unity's built-in neutral tonemapper is a good start. Suddenly you will have enough GI without everything being overexposed.

Baking normal-mapped lighting into lightmaps doesn't sound like a good idea in general, but I can see how it can be useful for mobile, where you just don't have enough performance...
    It's not hard to implement, I'll try :)

Didn't properly test this one - will do (currently on a small vacation, will get back to my PC in 2 days).

Partially, at the moment. Everything that deals with Unity engine itself, scene export, atlasing and stuff like that is just a bunch of open C# scripts. Core part of the lightmapper is spead across compiled binaries though (exe/dll/gso/vso/pso/ptx).

I know :) Just didn't expect it happen so suddenly, I didn't receive any emails and only found out about the release here :D

Good point. Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ZDUAVJA69YHLMMCzc3FOneTM5IfEGeiLd7P_qYfJ9c/edit

It bakes standard tetra probes.

Not yet, but I'll update the store version soon!
    One thing I need to solve for this, is to how to expose shader modification. As Unity doesn't have built-in shaders with vertex lighting, I should either write a completely new one, or attempt to patch standard shader includes. Still not sure what would be the best option. Rolling a clone of Standard shader with all its features for the sake of adding vertex lighting (that's what I'm doing right now) feels fragile - I've seen a lot of designs like that (adding other features), and they often broke on newer versions of Unity due to some restructuring of their shader includes/internal variable names, etc...

Terrains are not a problem, they should Just Work. Didn't test default trees though.

Mark_01 and one_one like this.
  9. Gametyme

Gametyme

Any video yet?

10. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there,
    I remember seeing all the big news about GPU lightmapping this and that coming to Unity and it being super fast and built in, etc. I apologize if my question sounds rude as it is not my intention, but why exactly would I need/want this? Doesn't the new built-in Unity lighting stuff take care of what this would be doing, or did I not understand properly what the new stuff was doing? I am guessing that this ends up doing additional stuff?

Thanks,
    -MH

11. Gametyme

Gametyme

Unity’s gpu light mapper has no release date. If you want gpu baking now then you can get bakery. Although, I’m still waiting on some video.

12. Cascho01

Cascho01

I have bought Bakery yesterday and tested it against a very basic scene (plane+sphere) for some hours.
    Besides getting familiar with GUI+workflow I tried different samples (64/128/256) against different lightmap resolutions (512/1024/2048).

Setup: Plane, Sphere, Bakery-Skylight (*.exr), no other lightsource, 6GB NVidia GTX-1060

The baking times are a bit longer than I expected:

- 14 seconds for 4 GI-bounces at 64 samples at 512px resolution
    up to
    - 430 seconds for 4 GI-bounces at 256 samples at 2048px resolution

But:
    The results are very impressive:
    Absolutely clean lightmaps at 128-256 samples, no blotches at all.
    Render per object, lightmap per object: Finally!

It´s now possible to lightbake using a single *.exr skybox with no additional lights at all.
    This results in a very natural and believably result.
    Maybe this is also possible with Unitys bakers right now, but I never got it working.

In summary:
    I am highly enthusiastic.
    (Unbelievable that dozens of Unity-Programmers very not able to reach what a single person achieved.)
    Finally lightbaking in Unity becomes acceptable and competetive against professional renderers like VRay.

Looking forward for more tests and the camparison against Unitys GPU baking implementation in some month.

Here´s my baked setup scene:

The lightmap for the plane (128 samples, 1024px, 44seconds):

Same with 256 samples, 126 seconds:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  13. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

On what GPU is that !
    All that render times look really reasonable to me !

14. Cascho01

Cascho01

I added some more info above ("Setup:...").
    My rendertime expectations are based on Unitys promoting video about their GPU lightmapper.

15. lolclol

lolclol

wow, i didn't see that.

Is there any tutorial available on youtube ?

16. Gametyme

Gametyme

Can we get a video of this in action? I think you would sell a ton more.

17. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Well, Bakery doesn't have any kind of real-time preview, so a video would just show the progress bar.

TooManySugar and Gametyme like this.
  18. Gametyme

Gametyme

I’m very tempted to buy this as I have a gtx1080 ti.

19. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Yes me too. I just googled GPU baking thinking there was some news and stumbled across this thread.

20. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Taking a video is hard because:
    - Lightmapping takes all system resources, so video capture software doesn't work well. I tried capturing it using a physical camera from the screen (lol), but the quality of such video is bad.
    - Capturing comparisons with other lightmappers means also waiting for them to finish. Enlighten can bake Sponza for many hours, and I just went out of memory trying to capture that.
    - Making videos takes too much time, and now all people are asking for bug fixes/improvements to the actual software, so I better focus on that.

If anyone else can record something, let me know :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Mark_01 and neoshaman like this.
  21. BPR

BPR

Hi,

I am getting lots of error messages when trying to bake:
    I am using Win7 64 bit, Unity 2018.1 and GTX970

First with default settings I get error message regarding denoiser, that it is no win32 application.
    When I turn off denoiser, I get error message regarding seamfixer: access denied
    When I turn off seamfixer as well I get an error message from halffloat2hdr that a file cannot be found

Tried setting up a realy simple scene, running Unity as admin and made sure there are no spaces in folder and scene names.

Please help me its really frustrating...

Here the error logs as text and image:

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/denoiser.exe', CommandLine='"C:\Users\ADMIN0~1\AppData\Local\Temp\frender/BakeryTest_LM0_final_HDR.lz4" "C:\Users\ADMIN0~1\AppData\Local\Temp\frender/BakeryTest_LM0_final_HDR.lz4" 256', CurrentDirectory='Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery', Native error= %1 ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung.

System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) (at <030fabbd3a514c05bc0eba1380ea2103>:0)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () (at <030fabbd3a514c05bc0eba1380ea2103>:0)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) (at <030fabbd3a514c05bc0eba1380ea2103>:0)
    ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2093)
    ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:1404)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:183)

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/seamfixer.exe', CommandLine='"C:/TempLightmaps" "BakeryTest_LM0_final_HDR.lz4" "BakeryTest_LM0_final_HDR.lz4" 0', CurrentDirectory='Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery', Native error= Zugriff verweigert

System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) (at <030fabbd3a514c05bc0eba1380ea2103>:0)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) (at <030fabbd3a514c05bc0eba1380ea2103>:0)
    ftRenderLightmap+<RenderLightmapFunc>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:2093)
    ftRenderLightmap.RenderLightmapUpdate () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftRenderLightmap.cs:1404)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:183)

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/halffloat2hdr.exe', CommandLine='"BakeryTest_LM0_final_HDR.lz4" "C:/Users/Admin0515/Desktop/MarcelHighPolyOffice/Assets/BakeryLightmaps/BakeryTest_LM0_final.hdr"', CurrentDirectory='C:\Users\ADMIN0~1\AppData\Local\Temp\frender', Native error= Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Attached Files:

22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That sounds like either Unity failed to import the package properly or...
    What is your username in Windows exactly? I wonder if it's some character encoding bug.

23. BPR

BPR

Hi,

no turned out this setting was resonsible:
    upload_2018-8-4_16-33-59.png
    Setting it to legacy (3.5) lets me bake now normally, but you should check it out as not everyone can set this freely.

In the meantime do you have any ideas what I can do about these artefacts on the ceiling?
    upload_2018-8-4_16-36-5.png

Kind regards,
    BPR

24. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Weird! Was able to reproduce. Somehow I never noticed this backend switch. Gonna fix urgently!

Are there any tiny holes and cracks in the geometry? Things like that absolutely shouldn't happen. Does it happen without GI (bounces=0)? Is it a custom UV layout, or automatic (Generate Lightmap UVs checkbox)?

25. BPR

BPR

Well the ceiling is seperate geometry but has some overlap.

UV2 Layout was done in Maya without overlaps.

Setting bounces to 0 and turning of Skylight removed the artefacts. But for now I put additional geometry (Cube) on top.

26. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Can you check if automatic Unity's UV layout still produces these artifacts? If not, then there might be problems with your Maya layout, for example insufficient padding for the selected baking resolution. Check the resulting lightmap and make sure there is at least 1 pixel empty space between all charts.

27. BPR

BPR

My bad seemed like a resolution problem switching to automatic UVs and increasing resolution in lightmap fixed it :)

Attached Files:

28. BPR

BPR

Okay found another oddity :(
    When I hit play the resolution of the lightmap changes, it also happens in your example scene.
    upload_2018-8-4_18-13-5.png
    upload_2018-8-4_18-13-32.png

For simple scenes with primitives the resolution is increased in playmode, but for my scene it is decreased making the lightmaps having almost no effect and causing flat lighting.

The game view seems always to show the low resolution even when not in play mode:
    upload_2018-8-4_18-16-56.png
    upload_2018-8-4_18-17-22.png

29. BPR

BPR

30. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I don't think actual resolution changes anywhere - only Unity's checkeboard visualization. In your example scene comparison lightmap itself doesn't change. Why does checkboard change? I don't know. Don't trust it. I should probably make my own visualization.
    While that's the case with the example scene, there seems to be a different bug with yours. Does it work if you disable batching?

31. BPR

BPR

Yes Static Batching was the cause!
    Now the checkboard pattern does not change anymore too

upload_2018-8-4_18-49-37.png
    upload_2018-8-4_18-50-7.png

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Unity stubbornly overrides lightmapScaleOffset on mesh renderers when performing static batching, breaking any custom lightmaps, so I had a lot of problems with that. There are workarounds now, and so far they seemed to work, but something is different in your scene. Can you check if it looks fine in a build with batching enabled? There are slightly different workarounds for editor play mode and builds.

If any of Unity developers comes across this thread: LightingDataAsset was a mistake.

TooManySugar likes this.
  33. BPR

BPR

Sure I will test on mobile when I am done with the lighting

34. lolclol

lolclol

Nice archviz interior

35. BPR

BPR

Hm after switching to iOS, I had to manually overrride the compression of the lightmaps to RGBA 32 bit otherwise I saw artefacts in Lighmapview, further more there was another issue at the same time.

Now they look good in lightmap view, just as before but in Shaded and Camera View everything is blown out, its just like the values are the same buit they are interpreted differently:
    upload_2018-8-4_22-46-29.png
    upload_2018-8-4_22-47-1.png

Metallic materials are not affected, as well as everything that does not have lightmaps.
    Tried already some quality and graphics settings as well as graphics emulation -> no change

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I found it to happen on Android too because lightmap assets have Texture Type not set to Lightmap. While it's not a problem on PC, seems to affect mobile platforms. Try switching the type on the assets and see if it helps. I already fixed it and will include the fix in the next update.

37. Cascho01

Cascho01

Just a question:

Let´s say I have a floorplane and a sphere on it.
    The sphere casts a shadow and some indirect GI onto the floor.
    Is it possible to bake the floorplane only (although the sphere could be marked as static, too), without generating a lightmap for the sphere?

(The real case is an officefloor with a lot of chairs, tables, sideboards, and I want to bake the floor only.
    In VRay we also just select an object and start RenderToTexture without the need to bake the other objects, too.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    TooManySugar likes this.
  38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think it's because Unity uses different encoding/decoding for lightmaps on mobile (AFAIK it's double LDR, as opposed to RGBM, or whatever they do for other platforms these days).

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

...Almost. You can make objects cast shadows without generating lightmaps for them by setting "Scale in Lightmap" to 0 on Mesh Renderer. This trick also works for Progressive and Enlighten, and I always found it useful.
    However the way Bakery calculates GI requires all objects participating in light transfer to be in some lightmaps at the moment. You can try grouping all unimportant objects into a single temporary lightmap and then deleting it after the bake is finished. Read the manual on Lightmap Group assets, you will need to add a component on all of these objects and select the same shared lightmap group asset on them. Definitely gonna improve this case in the future.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. On PC default texture type == lightmap texture type, because both are just half-float/BC6H textures with no special treatment in shaders, but on mobile there is either RGBM or double LDR decode.

TooManySugar likes this.
  40. Jimbobalubob

Jimbobalubob

This is crazy! I've been struggling with the Unity lightmapper(s) for years and then someone just randomly brings out a GPU accelerated version that actually works - amazing. I have medium sized scene, lots of items - takes around 25 minutes on my GTX1060.

Compare that with Beast or Enlighten? Well I actually think it would be quicker to have a kid, raise it to the age of 18, send it to school to learn how to write a lightmapper and then use that! (You might laugh but I've watched Unity mess this up for 6 years now!?!)

Just one thing, I found that it was crashing while processing overlapping UV's due to a NRE.

I fixed it just by adding a null ref check (
    if (store == null) continue;
    ) to ftBuildGraphics.cs line 576.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     static bool ModelUVsOverlap(ModelImporter importer, ftLightmapsStorage[] storages)
    2.     {
    3.         if (importer.generateSecondaryUV) return true;
    5.         var path = importer.assetPath;
    6.         for(int i=0; i<storages.Length; i++)
    7.         {
    8.             var store = storages[i];
    9.             if (store == null) continue;
    11.             var index = store.assetList.IndexOf(path);
    12.             if (index < 0) continue;
    Now i'm only saying this because I have it already, but i'd consider putting the price up!

quabug, madrobotMK and guycalledfrank like this.
  41. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Oh thanks for finding that! Somehow I never seen it crashing here before. Will include your check in the next update ;)

quabug, Mark_01 and Jimbobalubob like this.
  42. BPR

BPR

Hi again,

yes that was the problem!
    I was able to publish now to iOS, Static Batching did not cause the error there like in editor.

Really like the results that I got and the fast bake times -> 5 Stars

Mark_01 and guycalledfrank like this.
  43. w00dn

w00dn

First of all, great product. It's so fast, I can barely believe it. :)

Sadly, I'm getting "denoiser error: 505" on my laptop right after the bake finishes. It happens in all the sample scenes.
    I'm using 2018.2.2f1 and i tried with an older version too.

It might be related to being one of those NVIDIA Optimus Devices with two graphics cards in it. (Intel HD Graphics 530 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M), because everything works fine on my desktop machine with a GTX 1080.

Let me know if you need more infos. I'm also up for testing if that would help at all.

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmm that's weird. Basically it means that denoiser loaded Optix and the lightmap but failed to execute for whatever reason. Can you check the last line in Assets\Editor\x64\Bakery\.denoiserlog.txt?

Maybe... does everything work if you go to Advanced Settings and untick Denoise?

45. w00dn

w00dn

Here it is:
    2018-8-5
    Init...
    Loading shader denoisePrepare.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Loading shader denoiseFinish.ptx::eek:xMain...
    Tiles: 16
    Error (-1): Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtCommandListExecute" caught exception: Failed to launch DLDenoiser post-processing stage. DLDenoiser run method failed.)

And yes, everything works if I untick Denoise.

Edit: Nice emoji code :p

46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I know it's not the brightest advice, but have you tried updating GPU drivers?
    960M should be more than sufficient.

47. w00dn

w00dn

Yep, that was it...
    I was on something like 374.x and now on 398.82 it works! Thanks :)

48. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi @guycalledfrank ,
    please do consider of making this visualize result of every Nth sample in editor.
    There has to be a way. It is really crucial for faster iteration on lightmapping for artists !
    Thanks !

EDIT: btw it hanged the editor (2017.2.3 p1) after the build process has completed ! Kind of responsive but editor UI went broken !

49. Cascho01

Cascho01

I wasn´t able to follow your suggestion and get good results:

When I bake all unimportant objects into one shared lightmap
    - and set "Scale in Lightmap" to zero, these objects don´t produce any GI at all
    - and set "Scale in Lightmap" to 1 and lower the shared lightmap size down to 64, the floors lightmap gets very inaccurate GI (caused by the too small shared lightmap)

=> I assume that in the current Bakery version also all unimportant objects need to be fully lightmapped in order to get them sending accurate GI onto the floor, right?

50. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

If you mean progressive visualization, it's not really possible due to Bakery's design. It first renders lights one by one, then a sequence of GI bounces. Each of these tasks is completed in full quality. So if I would visualize intermediate results, you would first see one light, then another light... then all lights with no GI, then first bounce, second... etc.

Try decreasing sample counts for preview quality, especially on Skylights and GI. That should give you dirtier but quicker results.

I think I observed it a couple of times randomly, but couldn't reproduce so far :eek:. Will investigate more.

Yeah. Still, you may throw away the lightmap used on these objects later.