Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bakery - GPU Lightmapper (v1.96) + RTPreview [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by guycalledfrank, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks! If you ever encounter any errors using GI VRAM optimization again, feel free to PM me with details, as I'd really like to fix it :)

2. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

So, if we whant a group of objects to fall inside the same lightmap, we should create a lightmap group and add the ligthmap group component on the root of theese object group parent gameobject .(I have them al ready grouped in hyerarchy I mean). And in the options choose "simple" and the desired resolution, would that be right?

edit( you may whant to update the title of the thread to 1.3 released :p)

guycalledfrank likes this.
  3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

If they have non-overlapping UVs (unwrapped together in a modeling package in a single layout), then yes.
    Otherwise use "Pack Atlas" mode instead of simple.

Good catch! I totally forgot about the thread title and the 1st post, they weren't updated in weeks! :D

4. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Fun hack: you can bake containers with closed doors so they are lit, but not dark on the inside:

upload_2018-9-19_23-17-38.png

Because meshes don't receive lighting from lower resolution LODs, if you put the container to LOD0 and the door to LOD1, this is what you will get. Then disable LODGroups and use it :)
    Obviously it's not the most convenient way, but just a funny misuse of LODs I accidentally came across.
    In the future I'll have to do a proper solution for doors.

EDIT (dec 2022): attached the example scene. Enable the LODGroups on "door" and "container", bake, disable the LODGroups.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

you're hacking Unity lighting too far. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm sorry to report that the docked window behavior, while better than in version 1.2, is still broken in 1.3. I am attaching a screen shot showing the problem. The scroll bar now appears as it should, but this window still tries to force whatever tab bar (screen section) it is part of, to occupy the maximum vertical space. In this screen shot, you can see that Bakery's window has its scroll bar, but I am unable to move the horizontal split between Hierarchy+Game and Project+Scene areas upward at all.

If I undock or close Bakery, the problem is immediately fixed. That being said, it is working better than before, so we're headed in a good direction. :)

BakeryWindowProblem-2.jpg

7. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Hello, can't seem to get LightProbes to match lighting with the baked scene, they always seem a good amount brighter. When in the shadowed areas (in screenshot), they do darken the Sphere , but barely at all.

2018-09-20 14_34_59.png

What could be causing this? I've matched the bakery sky to the Lighting panel sky (cubemap, intensity) as well.

Thanks!

8. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

No idea TBH. Can you send me this test scene as unitypackage so I can get a closer look?

9. ViperTechnologies

ViperTechnologies

Well, Completely nothing ! there was a surface facing to area light ... but as a personal experience and advice for whom ever wanted to try the area lights in bakery ... it is not like Unity's Area Light i mean with a value of 0.5 or 1 you wont get a crazy Alienated Eye-Blinder Light ! it is cool to set the values (intensity and indirect multiplier - i hope i address this right) to some thing like 1.8 - 2.5.
    ours was 0.2 for intensity ... and it was that less we couldn't saw the light is being baked (no difference with the amount of ambient light!) :| though i am not sure if it is suppose to happen or not ... but with a raise in the amount of the values problem is gone !

Thank you Frank :)

10. ViperTechnologies

ViperTechnologies

I forgot to tell !
    I think we have another problem !
    We baked the scene we added some Reflection Probes which we was needed and then we select the "Render Reflection Probes" bakery menu. good set ... but when hit play ... the reflection prob is reseted to nothing ! no reflections no nothing !

11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Reflection probes are rendered by Unity and saved to LightingDataAsset, I barely touch them (I'm calling the same function Unity does when you hit "Bake reflection probes"). Maybe try deleting the asset and baking them again.

ViperTechnologies likes this.
  12. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

I am encountering these shadows b/t all my road modules. I didn't have this issue with Progressive light mapper. Is there some settings I can use to fix this?
    EDIT: I think progressive shows some seam too, but not as evident. It could be a general lightmapping issue with modular pieces...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Do roads overlap, or do they connect precisely? Are they unwrapped automatically ("Generate Lightmapping UVs" on the asset) or manually in modeling package?

14. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

They do not overlap. They are unwrapped automatically. I'm not sure how to manual unwrap uvs and put then into unity. I use blender by the way.

15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Perhaps the resolution is just way too low for the roads, and you were using a higher one on Progressive. It still shouldn't happen though... can you try with denoising and seam fixing disabled, will it help?
    Also check if disabling compression on the lightmap asset changes anything.

16. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

when both denoise and fix seam are turned off it seems to fix it.
    Compression doesn't change it.
    Resolution doesn't fix it, but makes the blurry shadow smaller.

17. liudian208

liudian208

Dear Frank, got another question ! What should I do if I want to bake cutoff using my custom shader? upload_2018-9-20_20-9-37.png

18. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Bakery doesn't support custom shader opacity at the moment. This is because using Meta Pass logic for opacity would give insufficient precision. To get cutout opacity working you need:
    - Have "Transparent" or "TransparentCutout" tag in your shader.
    - Have opacity in the alpha channel of a texture named _MainTex in the shader.
    - Have a float parameter named _Cutoff with a corresponding cutoff value.

19. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Interesting! Can you check if it's because of the denoiser OR seam fixer? (or only if they are both on?)

20. liudian208

liudian208

Thanks!!Will try!

21. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Only when both are off then it doesn't have the issue.

22. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

I still have issues with light probe. Please see this picture, the probes are bright even under the shadows:

upload_2018-9-20_9-11-51.png

23. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Directional is COMING

fddir2.png
    ftdir.png

Unless you or MattVLSG can provide me an example unitypackage with this bug, I can't help, because I can't reproduce it in any of my scenes.

I think I know what's going on. Denoiser is a neural network operating on pixels, trying to find noise. Because you have a very low resolution lightmap, sometimes it seems to think that actual parts of it are just noise and "fix" them. And if it does something weird on one side of the seam, then seam fixer will further propagate it to another side as well.
    Not sure I can fix that - you can try disabling either of denoiser/seamfixer or (better) set Scale In Lightmap on road mesh renderers to a higher value (maybe even set it to 50), so they'll be larger in the atlas.

CoastKid, ArchVizPRO, Mauri and 5 others like this.
  24. Thee2nd

Thee2nd

Hi, I'm getting Ftrace error 1 when baking my scene.
    It only happens when I turn on all my area lights.
    tested it with 2 on and a directional light and it worked fine. Ftrace Error.JPG

25. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hi! It's very hard to diagnose this problem. As with complaints above, I can only debug it if you could provide me an example of the scene (as .unitypackage) where it happens. If you can manage to make the simplest scene possible showing this bug, I'll happily investigate.

26. syscrusher

syscrusher

Is it my imagination, or is the dynamic on the Bakery version actually a little better than Enlighten? The surface detail seems a little clearer to me.

27. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Seems to be the case. Also, for some reason part of the sunlight direction is reversed in Enlighten. I wonder if they give incorrect weights to rays.

upload_2018-9-20_19-1-50.png

hippocoder likes this.
  28. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi. I have many scenes that are not baked with bakery, but when I run those scenes, bakery's ftLightmaps re-imports some of my models and causes my mesh colliders to not work and my player falls through the floor:

Reimporting to adjust UVs: Assets/custom/blender/houses/bd_1in.blend
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    ftLightmaps:CreateGlobalStorageAsset() (at Assets/Bakery/ftLightmaps.cs:130)
    ftLightmaps:FirstUpdate() (at Assets/Bakery/ftLightmaps.cs:176)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

29. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I'm not sure how model reimporting affects your colliders though? It's a regular reimport - the same as would happen if you would right click and press Reimport (except I'm also modifying UVs).

30. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

It re-imports my models after I press Play and some how my mesh collider screws up.

31. Thee2nd

Thee2nd

So i've managed to recreate it again in a new scene when increasing the quality settings.
    This is the error I get in the console

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/shaderSrc/ftrace.cginc" or "C:\Program Files\Unity\2017.3\Editor\Data\Managed\UnityEngine/../../CGIncludes//ftrace.cginc" is denied.
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:124)
    ftShaderTweaks.CopyInclude (System.String shadersDir) (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftShaderTweaks.cs:62)
    ftShaderTweaks.OnGUI () (at Assets/Editor/x64/Bakery/scripts/ftShaderTweaks.cs:256)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:104)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:216)

any thoughts?

32. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That definitely shouldn't happen. After the model is reimported, Bakery marks them in ftLocalStorage.asset. If there is a line with this asset's name, it won't reimport. Can you check if it's really there?

Seems like you are using the Shader Tweaks menu. On some versions/setups of Windows it seems to require Unity being launched with admin privileges. Can you try that? (right click Unity -> run as administrator)

33. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi I finally made a project to show you. My shadow mask light settings, with probes, the probes are not correct.

34. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Sorry you've just included the lightmapper code in your package. Can you delete it please? :) I've downloaded it.

35. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Sorry about that. I deleted the file now.

36. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

So this is how it looks here. Are they too bright? I didn't rebake, just opened the scene.

upload_2018-9-20_20-12-2.png

37. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Mine looked like this, notice the 3 probes are same even tho 2 of them are under shadow they are still bright.
    upload_2018-9-20_11-16-27.png

now if I use full light instead of shadow mask, notice the difference.
    upload_2018-9-20_11-18-27.png

38. Thee2nd

Thee2nd

No luck unfortunately.

Here's a package of my scene
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06811742822867394567

39. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Perhaps something is different between our Unity versions, but I see what's going on.
    1. You didn't bake with the Occlusion Probes checkbox, and therefore dynamic sun is applied on top of shadowed probes. Try it.
    2. You don't have any Skylight baked in lightmaps, but you have a procedural skybox in the actual scene. One thing which is not exactly obvious about how Bakery renders probes: the actual lightmapper is only used for invisible things like point and directional lights, while area/sky/materials are assumed to be visible in the scene itself, and so I just render a cubemap in Unity instead and convolve it down to a light probe. Therefore light probess *see* the bright skybox above them and the resulting lighting is brighter than lightmapped. Solution: always make sure actual skybox matches skylight (or the lack of it - in this case it should be black).

40. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Thanks, can you please delete it now? As with previous person, you for some reason added my code to the package :)

Also seems like you forgot the files:

upload_2018-9-20_20-37-34.png

Can you send me a proper package through private messages?

41. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Thanks I think this works! Mainly checking Occlusion Probes fixed it. However, even tho it's done, it's always stuck at 80-100% progress and I can't get rid of this window:
    upload_2018-9-20_11-44-8.png

42. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Is there any console error (a red one)?

43. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

nope

44. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

That's... really strange then. Does it happen every time consistently, or randomly?

45. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

It is 100% consistent.

46. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I still think you DO have an error in the console. Maybe you have them disabled?
    Make sure this one is enabled:

upload_2018-9-20_21-25-48.png

47. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Unfortunately no.
    I also noticed that the light probes seem to only pick up the directional light, it doesn't pick up any bounces, e.g. I have a green floor and the probe directly above it has no hint of green at all. I do have bounce set to 2 bounces, and directional light I have set the indirect multiplier to 3.

48. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It does. But feels like it's stuck for you after the occlusion probe process and failed to render actual light probes.
    I have no idea why. Does it get stuck on the sample scene you sent to me? (works fine for me)

Most likely you get stuck waiting for an internal reflection probe to finish rendering. There was a similar problem when "real-time reflection probes" were disabled in Quality Settings, but I fixed it a long ago.
    Maybe the fix doesn't work in occlusion probes mode though... just try enabling them and see if it stops getting stuck.

NestorAlgieri likes this.
  49. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Is there an option where you don't use shadow mask, but full lighting, yet the unity directional real time light is just used for casting shadows?

50. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Well in shadowmask mode, the directional light will only cast shadows from dynamic objects. Or I'm not sure what you mean. What exactly do you like about full lighting that is not present in shadowmask?