Search Unity

Baked shadows barely visible.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by cristianmars, Jan 12, 2021.

1. cristianmars

cristianmars

Hi everyone, im posting here because i cant seem to find a solution. i set up a little scene , no global ilumination because its an interior, now when i set up the ilumination i started using real time with shadows just to put everything in place, and then i switched to baked lighting for perfomance , real time tanks my fps, but when i bake there are no shadows practically, only a small amout barely visible on the floor. take a look please.

this is the test i did with real time shadows.

then turned off the shadows , but kept the light as i would like to overlap a flickering effect and its not really too costly without shadows, added another light on top on baked mode (same light parameters) and this is the result. there are barely any shadows baking.

now i can get more prominent shadows , but not from the candle holder on the, and also i get extremeley overexposed.

now i dont know i what i want is actually imposible but i would like some tips on how to try to solve this , i tried changing settings from the light bake settings , near plane settings on the lights nothing seems to work i get results like the middle screenshot. i uv unwraped every asset for the material and another one for the lightmap in 1024 x 1024, maybe lightmaps are wrong ?. i hope some one can help me , thanks for reading.

edit: i also wanted to clarify that im using "candela" for value measuring and extremely low 0.001 or it becomes heavily overexposed, i dont know if that has something to do.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. ADufay

ADufay

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    can you clarify a few points please so we can help you please ?
    Are you trying to get darker shadows on the floor or on the pillar ?
    Are your pillars and your floor set to static before you bake ?
    What kind of light sources are you using (baked, realtime, mixed) ? And if the lights are in mixed mode, what is your "Lighting mode" in "Mixed Lighting" ?

3. cristianmars

cristianmars

hi , sorry for the late responce ,im trying to get darker shadows , i would say in this case in both but at least on the floor , all my objects are set to static , all my lights are set to mixed and use shadowmask mode (as far as im aware shadowmask mode uses alwasy baked shadows for static objects) i´ll leave you some screenshots of bot just in case.
    What is giving me a hard time is baking shadows that look similar to the realtime ones, not so much in sharpness i think you need too much resolution in your lightmap (even tho i tried up to 4k ) i dont care about blurry edges but as you can see the dont even show up.

i dont know if im missing something or if its something releated to point lights with lightmapping.

4. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

Can you post a screenshot of the baked lightmap view with the lightmap texel resolution overlay? And also a screenshot of the shadowmask scene view?

5. cristianmars

cristianmars

sure no problem ! here you go.

6. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

The lightmap resolution on the pillars seems too low to capture the fine shadow from the light holder. Also, it looks like you're overbudgeting the shadowmasks. You can only have up to 4 overlapping lights. There's a scene visualizer for shadowmasks that will tell you which lights, even though set to mixed, cannot fit into the shadowmask by marking their icons in red instead of white.