Search Unity

Baked Shadows are ugly for big GameObjects Receivers

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Opeth001, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello Everyone,

i finally found a solution to bake lights and shadows in my scene but baked shadows are incoherent depending on the receiver Size which make it really ugly.

the Green and Yellow prefabs are using the same asset but at different scales (1,1,1) vs (4,1,4) .

im pretty sure it's a low level problem and unity has already found solutions for it but im new to Lighting stuff XD.
    so what are the workarounds/solutions to avoid these results.

Thank You!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What is your atlas size? The outer mesh has probably hit the atlas limit and can't reach the density you're asking from it.

Also, that is going to be a ton of lightmaps if you want to maintain the sharpness of 1 everywhere.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Opeth001 likes this.
  3. Opeth001

Opeth001

ok i get what you mean! so what is the best approach to get good looking lightmaps for mobile without having ton of lightmaps ?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I uhhh... I don't want to derail you, since you were given advice about going for lightmaps in another thread if I remember correctly, but for that art style, I would go with realtime lighting with hard shadows and would turn off the shadows if the device is not powerful enough.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with lightmaps, just accept that you are not going to get super sharp shadows this way and work with it.

Opeth001 likes this.
  5. Opeth001

Opeth001

Thank you!!

6. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

On the mesh renderer you have a parameter called "Scale In Lightmap". You can change that on your scaled mesh to increase the lightmap texel density specifially for this mesh, without changing the global setting.