Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked reflection probes in HDRP destroy FPS

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by id0, Jan 28, 2019.

1. id0

id0

I have about 10 baked reflection probes in the scene. Disabling them, increase the FPS from 15-20 to 30-35. Why does this happen at all?

2. pointcache

pointcache

Mine wont even bake. Baking them does literally nothing.

3. id0

id0

Okay, this is really weird. I thought that the realtime shadow or volumetric, or some other hdrp stuff kill my performance, but it's not! (well not completely) This is makes by reflection AND light probes. After I remove it from the scene, performance boost in two or more times.

And no, I don't have too many light probes in the scene. I'm even try it on empty scene where I put 7 realtime light with shadows, and about 8 light probes. With no baked probes performance is nice, but after baking it's slow down badly. I don't think this is correct behavior.

Sadly I can't send bug report, I don't even internet on machine where unity install, and my project weight is over 20 gig

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. id0

id0

Ok, I got that. It's not about light probes, but about "shadowmask", when I switch on "indirect" mode, problem with light probes disappear. But reflection probes problem still there.

5. DoubleLens

DoubleLens

We have a similar issue. We're using realtime reflection probes since we need a dynamic day/night system with user controlled lights. There are 5 reflection probes in the scene and when turned on they totally destroy our framrate (even when NOT in play mode). Anyone have any leads?

6. id0

id0

DoubleLens is your realtime probes render every frame? If yes, then of course they destroy fps. But I'm talk about baked probes, and they still lowering framerate.

7. DoubleLens

DoubleLens

I can't change the update frequency (it's stuck on every frame and greyed out)

8. id0

id0

DoubleLens ah, yes, they did this again. Maybe this is somehow connect to my problem too.

9. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

which version of Unity and which version of HDRP are you using?
    2019.1 and 5.2.3 is unusable for reflection probe if it is what you try to use

10. id0

id0

SebLagarde I'm using 2019.1b now. What are you doing, guys, with reflection probes out there?

11. fredericv

fredericv

Unity Technologies

Hi, Thanks for your post, there is actually a bug in the cache of the reflection probes.

They were convolved every frame instead of only once, hence the performance hit.
    A fix is currently on its way.

id0 likes this.
  12. id0

id0

Niiice :)

13. frezer749

frezer749

Any updates on the "locked" baking of Reflection Probes? Is it possible in 2019.2?