Search Unity

Baked lights don't appear

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by radiantboy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. radiantboy

radiantboy

In real time things looks great, after setting them to baked and completing a bake the lights don't show up at all. Anyone have any ideas why this is? The models are all marked as static etc, but the lights don't show up. Very odd. My lighting mode is set to "baked indirect", any tips why the lights don't show up would be appreciated. Done a lot of googling but not found an answer yet.

2. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Do your objects have metallic materials? If so, they wont show up easily as there is no specular with baked lights.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

A screenshot or two (before and after?) would help a lot.

4. radiantboy

radiantboy

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It looks like @FiveFingerStudios is right. Are most of your materials set to metallic? Then this is more or less expected.

Can you switch the scene view to "Baked Lighting" and post a screenshot of that too?

6. radiantboy

radiantboy

metallic is right up!! trying again

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you like the look of the first image, you can't use fully baked, you probably need to switch your lights to mixed mode.

8. radiantboy

radiantboy

9. radiantboy

radiantboy

They work perfectly in mixed mode, but why not baked? mixed is a lot slower right?

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does the baked lightmap view show anything?

If you want specular reflections, those cannot be represented by a lightmap.

11. radiantboy

radiantboy

yeh for some reason I had to forget baked lights, im using mixed which look fine, but the game is dragging a lot. I am going to try copy pasting the contents of my scene into a new one and baking that. Not sureif that is silly or not, but in a test scene I got baked light working great so really no idea why it wont work in my real scenes.

12. radiantboy

radiantboy

bizarrely copying the contents of the scene to a new scene allowed bake lighting to work. Spent a long time thinking baked lighting just didnt work.

13. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Wow! Interesting.

14. radiantboy

radiantboy

I feel like bakery wrecks the scene, and its stopped baking after I removed bakery (never did work for me). Will have to copy to a new scene, will verify if I can prove it.

15. radiantboy

radiantboy

hmm maybe not, something weird is going on. When I bake light only the last few items I have added to my scene get baked. Such a nightmare this lightbaking thing.