Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked lightmaps disappearing and rebaking after relaunching unity.

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by kurylo3d, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Seems like the lightmaps never quite save... they are only there for that session, but when i relaunch unity.. they are gone and it starts rebaking again. Something im doing wrong? Im on beta 18..

plus something weird happening.. my spot light only appears at certain angles... plus when it does appear the spot light is an actual texture in my scene... wtf?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Do you have continuous baking ticked on or off?

3. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

its on, but other weird stuff is happening .. check out the screenshot weird.jpg

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm... not sure what I'm looking at?

Try turning continuous baking off. Then do a bake (press the button), let it finish, close Unity, reopen Unity. The lighting should be there and it shouldn't bake again (sometimes you have to press play for the lightmaps to appear, it's a bug I keep stumbling upon).

5. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Or, I'd suggest turning off continuous baking, clearing your GI Cache via Preferences, clearing Baked Data on the Scene inspector and re-starting Unity. Then turn continuous baking back on and see what happens. I've noticed that generated project data, e.g. Library or GI Cache, is not necessarily compatible from Beta X to Beta X + 1. Makes sense, the only compatibility needs to be 4.x to 5.0, but it does create some weirdness for Beta users.

6. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Problem is my scene was never 4.x.. it was beta 14 to beta 18 ...

What your looking at there is the spot light is a random texture in my scene from some wall... why its there in the light who knows.. but its as though the texture is now projected screenspace wher ethe spot light .. lights up... ive seen this happen with a pointlight once before as well... Screws the entire editor view up.. last time i copied and pasted everything into a new scene.. but im not trying to do that every couple of hours. Obviously a major bug.

Actually the spot light texture.. changes depending on what angle your viewing the light from lol... ive seen it turn into several different textures as i drag the mouse... weird....

@seattlebluesky

As for your suggestion... didn't work... issues remain.

7. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Or delete your Library folder which is a sibling of the project Assets folder. Make a backup first (!) before deleting the Library folder in case you actually had source assets there, re-start Unity and it'll re-import the assets. That may help. Beyond these suggestions I'd submit a bug report along with an example project.

8. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

problem is an example project would be close to 3gb lol.... dont think my internet would even allow a continous upload that long without cutting it off.. lol

Oh and @seattlebluesky

Deleting the library folder and and reimporting the project did not fix the scene either.... the error still exists with that screenshot.. I think it actually broke my X Y Z cameras in the 4 view now.. i see nothing but blackness.

scratch that.. the x y z cameras are only broken when i set those to perspective mode.. and oddly enough they start off in perspective mode instead of iso mode... odd fact i see 2 triangles covering the screen when in perspective mode.. like when i try to move it it will flash to 2 poly wire frame... to bright purple.... to blackness.. though in iso mode it seems like i see the scene in wireframe again.

And yes... relaunching unity still rebakes light maps and reflection probes.... Though it may take a fast track on the lightmaps.. i dont know lol... unfortunately reflection probes arent as lucky.

I am glad this is only a beta... means i cant really bitch too much, but if this is close to being final... im scared. lol...

Oh and on another note... i noticed that the reflection bug only happens on one area on the level... and it happens with all lights.. not just the spot light.. this includes point lights. (In regaurd to them flickering on and off depending on the angle.. though the spot light seems to be the one that has the texture in screenspace... previously ive had this happen with point lights before..

weird2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  9. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Scratch that.. if i delete the spot light.. this is what happens to the point light htat was just next to it... wherever it illuminates turns into a texture in screenspace .... a random texture...

weird3.jpg

And at this image.. same point light looking at from the right.. just flickers to looking correct... if looking from this direction lol.. But again other direction is broke.
    weird4.jpg

10. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

The view modes are broken for window views as well.. unless its set to 2d mode.. which when i click 2d mode it removes the gizmo to decide which view your lookign at it from. x , y or z.... If its not in 2d mode screen is black.. or purple... lol

11. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Im mostly looking to see if these are known issues from the people at unity.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

doubt unity knows about it unless people send bug reports ;)

13. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report about the weird overlay. It looks like some renderstate isn't cleared correctly.

The issue with lightmaps baking again when relaunching is fixed now, but I am not yet sure if it will make it into beta 19 or if it will be in beta20 instead.

14. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Should i just link the bug report to this forum? Because the project many many gb and i doubt i can upload all of that... The weird overlay only effects the scene that has the issue.. doesnt have the issue if i copy and paste into a new scene.

15. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

A bug report is a good start, but I suspect we will need your project since the bug only reproduces in it. Please try and narrow it down so you don't have to upload so much.

16. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I'll do my best, maybe later tonight when im asleep.

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That rebaking is annoying as hell. Also, I get a black scene view if I set the wireframe/textured wireframe in perspective mode. The issue goes away if I set the view to isometric