Search Unity

Resolved Baked lightmap looks bad

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Shanti-AnyVerse, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Shanti-AnyVerse

Shanti-AnyVerse

I am developing for quest 2
    So i changed my project build setting to Android ("Switch platform")
    Now my baked lightmap went from being great to a disaster (photo attached
    Tried playing with the lightmap & quality settings but nothing seems to improve.
    any ideas?

Unity 2020.3.23 LTS
    URP
    Linear Color Space

upload_2022-1-3_17-4-40.png

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah that’s probably the compression. You can switch to uncompressed light maps, but then they’re going to need a lot more ram and space.

Shanti-AnyVerse likes this.
  3. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

As @AcidArrow has pointed out, the issue likely lies with lightmap compression.

Can you verify which Lightmap Encoding quality setting are you using for Android platform? You can access said setting in Project Settings > Player > Android tab. I would recommend setting it to High Quality, as it will force a higher quality compression format for lightmaps (ASTC instead of ETC2).

Alternatively, select your lightmap textures in the project tab, and override their compression to ASTC. 4x4 block compression might be a good place to start.

PutridEx and Shanti-AnyVerse like this.
  4. Shanti-AnyVerse

Shanti-AnyVerse

Thanks guys I think Its solved
    I set it to high
    @AcidArrow you mentioned more RAM? shouldn't a baked lightmap save ram at runtime?

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No? I mean it depends, but using a bunch of uncompressed light maps will certain up the vram and space usage.

6. Shizola

Shizola

This is always coming up as an issue, maybe its time to change the default for lightmaps to be ASTC?

Shanti-AnyVerse likes this.
  7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Open Windows->Rendering->Lighting window and set the Lightmap Compression option to the none... Also you can manually select your lightmap textures and set its compression to the none