Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked lighting issues with Progressive light mapper

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by reggie_sgs, Jul 1, 2019.

1. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I've had a lot of problems with baked lighting in our PS4 game Honor and Duty: D-Day. I've had a wide range of lighting issues and the PS4 support team indicated I needed to post here. The first problem I wanted to start with is with the baked lighting not looking correct. This scene uses only spot lights for the interior of a factory at night. There is no directional light and the spotlights are all set to mixed. I was hoping for some great shadows and lighting variations but it just doesn't look correct. In the first shot, you can see the inside of the container looks unnaturally bright. This is in 2017.4.3f1 and I've attached my settings. I've read up on all the lighting tutorials I could find but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks,
    Reggie

Attached Files:

2. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

Are you sure shadows are enabled on those spotlights?

3. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Sorry for the slow response but it seems I'm not getting notified of responses. I'm just using the default settings for the lights. When checking to make sure they weren't disabled, I noticed the baked shadow radius was set to 0 so I changed that to match the range but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Attached Files:

4. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

what is your global shadow distance set to? It should be in the project's quality settings.

5. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks, it appears the shadow distance was set too short but I also noticed the directional light seems to have been enabled which was also causing some problems.

Between the two, the lighting appears better now the ambient lighting is no longer working. I've typically never had issues with this but for some reason in this setup, changing the ambient light value has no impact on the scene even after rebaking.

I'm attaching the current settings but I can't figure out what I've done to break ambient lighting for the scene.

Attached Files: