Search Unity

Baked Light Only in 2017.1

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by tcmeric, Jul 29, 2017.

1. tcmeric

tcmeric

I am trying to create a scene with baked light only. This worked in 5.5, but is not working in 2017.

I am set to forward rendering, linear color space and single pass render, no HDR (for VR).

I am using a point light. When it is set to mixed or real time it appears to work correctly. When I have it set to baked, the scene is extremely dark (although a tiny bit of light is being baked).

Ive attached my lighting setup in an image, as well as the results with mixed (bright) and baked (very dark).

Ive cleared my baked lighting cache, clear my general cache, tried every mixed mode available.

The actual global light map image looks pretty bright (although pixelated) ?

Attached Files:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That baked lightmap looks like you have overlapping UVs or something.

tcmeric likes this.
  3. Stardog

Stardog

You need to click Generate Lightmap UV's on model import settings.

tcmeric likes this.
  4. tcmeric

tcmeric

Thank you both. Its actually a prefab from the store that I am using for prototyping for a class I am teaching (obviously not on lightmapping :cool: ). Because of that, I cannot reimport them. But I did regenerate them using mesh baker. Ive actually done that before a few times in 5.5, but didnt notice the issue here.

It still seems however that baked lighting is significantly darker than realtime or mixed lighting. In 5.5 baked was a bit darker than realtime, but not to this extreme. Is this normal for 5.6/2017, or do I still have any issue?

I attached my corrected lightmap, and highlighted the fixed area for comparison (didnt correct the whole thing, just a tiny part to see).

Attached Files:

5. tcmeric

tcmeric

Here is an example of baked vs mixed lighting. (The red area has the corrected UVs, the non red area has the uncorrected UVs. So you can see the difference).

Is this the normal difference between baked and mixed lighting?? Seems too drastic.

Attached Files:

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you on Gamma or Linear? There is a difference in Gamma space although, not as dramatic as what you're showing.

Can you try removing the normal map from the material and rebaking both mixed and baked? See if that improves the consistency?

tcmeric likes this.
  7. tcmeric

tcmeric

Thank you for your help. Wanted to you know this got resolved. Ended up being 3 steps.
    1. Turning down the occulsion on the texture way down.
    2. Recalculating normals
    3. Regenerating UV2s.

Thank you again for your assistance!

AcidArrow likes this.
  8. musicartslao

musicartslao

I am missing the very basic question on this post:
    Which kind of kind of workflow you were using ? Linear ?

9. tcmeric

tcmeric

Its been awhile since I was working on the project, but I think it was linear. Ultimately that was not the issue however. I had to recalculate the normals and UVs.