Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Baked Entities Have No Names?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by msfredb7, Feb 24, 2023.

1. msfredb7

msfredb7

(I'm using Entities 1.0 pre 44)
    Shouldn't baked entities keep the names of their origin gameobject (in editor)?
    I don't know if this is a bug, a missing feature or an option I haven't toggled ON.
    upload_2023-2-24_16-22-16.png
    Having no names makes the hierarchy almost unusable.

EDIT: I saw this old post about the same subject, but I expected it to be resolved for 1.0. Has the issue just not been resolved yet?

JesOb likes this.
  2. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Can you check if you have the names if the subscene is open ?

3. msfredb7

msfredb7

In my screenshot, it's closed. Opening the subscene will show the authoring gameobjects, but I want to see the runtime data in entities.

EDIT: sorry I misread your message. Yes, when the subscene is opened, the names are there.

4. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Closed subscene represents what's going to happen in built client. You won't have the name of the go. After all the go isn't part of the client and the go name is of no use to the game client.

5. msfredb7

msfredb7

Ok, I see. I had misunderstood the meaning and UX of "open/close" scene. If I understand, what you and Unity are suggesting is:
    If you want to play in the editor and see the entity names, keep the scene opened. And if you need to see all the entity data, put the inspector in Runtime mode.
    upload_2023-2-26_18-16-5.png

While this is better than I imagined, it also seems like a troublesome workflow. Keeping the scene opened like that only shows the entities that were in the scene at authoring time. Any instantiated entity is hidden, until the scene is closed (and then you lose all the names). Hidden stuff very quickly leads to pain points, even for non-programmers.

While I understand and approve of the open/close scene paradigm (I assume it's essential for large project performances in editor), I don't see why entity names have to be stripped out. I'm assuming it's a very marginal perf gain and it makes debugging quite a bit harder, especially in builds, where you can't open a scene to restore names.

I think name stripping should always be off, except for final builds (at the dev's request).

PS: Let me know if I misunderstood something or missed an option in a menu.

6. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

I'm not aware of any menu option that allows to keep entity names in closed subscene pr build.
    But I don't remember either any runtime instantiated entities beging hidden.

7. msfredb7

msfredb7

I haven't worked with 1.0 for that long yet, but that was the behavior I saw when I did a small test. Maybe it's because I instantiated an entity that was in the scene instead of a prefab. I'll test again when I have some time.

8. Kleptine

Kleptine

Yeah, as far as I know, instantiated entities should show up in opened subscenes.