Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked Ambient Occlusion Map

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KillerSneak, Jan 25, 2011.

1. KillerSneak

KillerSneak

So how can I add it to a model? I added the Diffuse/Normal maps, the Specular Map but i couldn't find anything to add the Ambient Occlusion map with (texture) Can anybody tell me how to add this to my model?

I used the search function but couldn't find anything useful on this.

2. garyhaus

garyhaus

In your texture editor(i.e. photoshop or whatever you are using) multiply the ambient occlusion pass directly over the diffuse layer/pass and then tweak to your heart's desire. Then save the new version out as your diffuse texture. That should give you what you are looking for.

G

3. callahan.44

callahan.44

Take a look at the lightmap shaders. They use a second UV map (UV2)

4. KillerSneak

KillerSneak

Hi gary and thanks for the response although i don't really know what you're saying here :( .. I'm new to Unity3D and everything that comes with it. I have all the textures:
    Diffuse
    Normal-map (backed from the high poly model)
    Specular
    Height-map (parallax texture no need on weapon models // better suited for environments)
    Ambient Occlusion-map (backed from the high poly model to say so)

I added the Diffuse / Normal / Specular maps to the model and they work. But there's no shader to say so to add a OA map/texture

I will take a look at that asap ( although again i would know what a 2nd UV map means/does in essence)

5. callahan.44

callahan.44

Ambient Occlusion is just one method of creating a Lightmap, so you have realistic lighting across your level (static)
    Take a look at Unity Beast for more info.

6. KillerSneak

KillerSneak

So if you're looking for realistic real-time lighting on a weapons model all you really need are the diffuse/normal/specular maps ? As i don't intend to work with static lightning at all.

Thanks for the quick and useful reply

7. callahan.44

callahan.44

You didn't say what type of model it was. But I've seen the gun models in the other thread, so in that case I'd suggest what Garyhaus suggested. It will add more realism - quite keen to see how they turn out.

8. KillerSneak

KillerSneak

Actually i got pretty nice results mixing
    parallax specular:
    ->base specular (on the default diffuse)
    ->Normal from the high Poly
    ->Heightmap / Ambient Occlusion Map
    and specular:
    ->The default diffuse

here you can see the result, (i know the animations aren't right yet as I haven't worked on them yet)