Search Unity

1. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Participate with students all over the world and build projects to teach people. Join now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bake keys after animating a cinemachine track

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by jeijei, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jeijei

jeijei

I have characters that aren't local to a scene, they get instantiated when the scene loads
    however i can still make timeline tracks with those characters and then just assign each character to his track when the timeline starts playing ingame
    my problem is that cinemachine similarly doesn't save what it followed while i was recording the timeline tracks
    say i have a character in the scene, i want the camera to follow and look at him
    now when i start the game, and get to that cutscene, i assign the character to the appropriate tracks
    however for the clips in the cinemachine track, i have no clue what they were following/aiming at, even if i know which character it was, and since the character is new to the scene, cinemachine won't have any references to him saved form when i was recording

isn't it possible to simply bake all the motions that the camera did to keys and when the game starts just play those instead of recalculating everything?
    i saw https://forum.unity.com/threads/bake-scene-dynamics-into-the-timeline.518158/ but i can't find any option like this in the documentation

alternatively i'd have to also keep track of everything that cinemachine might be tracking and reassign it when the timeline starts playing

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Seems to me you're going to have to do the bindings manually. You have bindings at 2 levels: CM vcams to Timeline clips, and targets to vcams. Since all your targets are dynamic, you'll have to do those bindings yourself, just like you would do for your in-game cameras.

3. jeijei

jeijei

yeah, that's why i was hoping that the clips could simply be baked to keyframes, would have saved me a lot of work