Search Unity

"Bake into pose" missing in Unity 5.6.0b9

Discussion in 'Animation' started by twda, Apr 6, 2017.

1. twda

twda

Hello!

I've always used the "Bake into pose" option in the animations inspector.
    Now I suddenly realize it's not there for me anymore.

Am I just too tired, or did Unity undergo a change here?

This is what my screen looks like:

Thank you for the help.

2. acaroppos

acaroppos

Looks like a bug in Unity.

Here is a video that shows how to fix it:

@Mecanim-Dev Can you confirm it's a bug?

giraffe1 likes this.
  3. acaroppos

acaroppos

@Mecanim-Dev If "Root motion is driven by curves" is the optimum solution and activated, can you tell me why it resets the characters position after each loop?

When I set the animation to Humanoid, I can get it to work, but the animation is perfectly targetted onto my avator, so I want to use Generic. With Generic, I just can't get it to work.

May I perhaps send you my model + animation so that you can check if you can get it to work as Generic animation?

I have uploaded a video that shows you what I mean. The circle doesn't move along with the root bone:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

@twda "Bake into pose" option is only available for humanoid rig type.
    in your case it look like the animation tab for generic rig type.

Check if you're rig type is correctly set to Humanoid, if your rig type is humanoid and you don't see the bake into pose option then it a bug. Please log it

5. acaroppos

acaroppos

@Mecanim-Dev Yes, I'm using Generic Rig only. It works perfectly for me because the animation is mapped explicitely on my skeleton.
    I don't want to use Humanoid Rig because it would give not-so-perfect re-mapping.

The only problem with Generic Rig is that root motion doesn't work. As you can see in my video, the circle doesn't move with the character.
    Can you please tell me more about it?

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

@acaroppos For generic, the first step to use root motion is to define a root bone in your model importer rig type. When you define a root motion bone you will have access to the Bake Into pose options

generic_rootmotion_step1.png

7. acaroppos

acaroppos

@Mecanim-Dev I did this but without success. The best I got was weird behaviours of the circle.
    Would you allow me to send you my character and my animation so that you can show screenshots how to set it up properly? I see that this question is asked very often.
    That would be very nice. Thank you.

Edit: I got it, but it included deleting and re-importing. Very strange. I would prefer a tutorial video very much from Unity. I think if they eat their own dog food, they'll notice an error.

8. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

yeah sure, I can take a look

9. acaroppos

acaroppos

Thanks, but I finally resolved it myself.
    Both the character and animation need to have the Root Node assigned:

Without having BOTH Root nodes assigned, the circle will flip back to its starting position at the end of the loop.
    With both Root nodes assigned, the circle with move along with the character.

I didn't have to apply the fix that was mentioned in the YouTube video.
    Also, nothing in the "Root Transform Rotation", "Root Transform Position (Y)" or "Root Transform Position (XZ)" section needs to be changed for me, their settings are these:

10. acaroppos

acaroppos

@Mecanim-Dev An additional question, please:
    Can you confirm that if I only use 1 avatar (all my characters, enemies, etc.) have the same skeleton, Generic Rig is better than Humanoid Rig? I would think that Humanoid Rig needs to do some retargetting calucation, while Generic does not need to do this. Am I right?

11. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

All your rig must have the same topology and same proportion, other wise you will get some artifacts with the generic rig.
    Topology = same transform hierarchy
    Proportion = the distance between each parent and child is the same across all your character.

Exactly the humanoid rig is more cpu intensive than the generic rig

12. acaroppos

acaroppos

@Mecanim-Dev Thank you. Can you tell me why humanoid rig is more CPU intensive at runtime?
    Aren't the calculations done at compilation time or so?

13. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

There is a few more step involved:
    1. when need to retarget the motion for your avatar
    2. there is some IK solving going on to avoid foot sliding
    3. and lastly there is a step that fix the roll bone rotation.

Some of them yes, like the retargeting is split into two phase: RetargetFrom and RetargetTo

the RetargetFrom is done in the editor when you import the clip, basically it does read a FK pose and then generate a muscle pose based on you're avatar definition.
    the RetargetTo is done at runtime, it does read a muscle pose and then generate a FK pose for you're avatar.

14. SeaScout

SeaScout

Hello @Mecanim-Dev, I am having a similar problem - I have an fbx animation clip using a humanoid rig. In it's animations menu, when I set "motion - Root Motion Node" to anything other than "none" (e.g setting it to the actual authored root node) all of the "Bake into pose" options disappear from the animations menu. This happens on all animations I have from at least 3 different asset store sources. Is this expected? If so why?

15. reyza560

reyza560

I found a solution (idk if it works for you guys) the only thing you need to do is click the Model your using and go to Rig and in Animation type put it into a Humanoid and there it is (and also put all animations your using in humanoid)

16. giraffe1

giraffe1

Thanks I had this bug in the latest version of unity. Your video fixed it.

unity needs to fix this...

Thank you.

Dr-Trax likes this.