Search Unity

Badumna Open Source - Someone find it?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by dth, Dec 4, 2014.

1. dth

dth

In 1st December Scalify closed the doors and said they will launch the project Badumna Network in a open source project... but i don't find it, someone already get it?

Thanks!

2. Muber Gaming

Muber Gaming

I was aware of that, in fact i was reading their forum about a month ago and they mentioned on the announcement thread the software was going to be released on Dec the 1st. they did no mentioned any specifics where tho .

i searched the web, github, google groups, sourceforge etc...
    and did not find anything related to it.

their main scalify and cloud domains are all turned off, gone for good.

they vanished from the face of the internet overnight on dec 1st. and i am afraid they took badumna network software with them to die together, instead of releasing it open source as they promised.

talking about selfish people, lol

unless they released it under other name, which i dont think so, all it seems to be i that their boat sunk in the middle of the ocean, so they took they main product with them to die together and break the open source promised initially.

hopefully someone here from ex scalify personnel can prove me wrong and post a link to where they left the opens source software of badumna, chances are quite slim for this to happen :-(

3. dth

dth

yeah, it is a great project :/ ... i'm using it right now, but wanted the source to do changes :/

if someone has any news about, please, post it :D

4. JamesPro

JamesPro

This is why I HATE being dependent on 3rd party software... If something like this happens even if they Promise to release the code opensource should this happen there is no Guarantees that they actually will. So if your using it and they go under then your project is screwed and all of your hard work can be for nothing. Thankfully my team decided against using Badumna. p2p in a MMO just comes with way too many risks to actually attempt it. If it were to mature more and had enough security features to prevent hacking then I'm sure it would be an industry changer. It would really cut back the cost of running a MMO for Indies.

5. Uncasid

Uncasid

This is why you build your code around the concept of this happening. Build a general interface that handles your calls that will happen no matter what back end networking you have. Then build the networking implementation following those guidelines. You won't have to change any of the code on the higher levels.

6. JamesPro

JamesPro

Actually that's why you build your own Custom Solutions where ever possible instead of being dependent on 3rd party solutions. When you build your own Custom Solutions you have much better control over how things are setup. Then if you can't build something custom then you see about using Open Source Solutions where ever possible and then as a LAST resort you License a 3rd Party solution.

7. B16B0SS

B16B0SS

I could be wrong, but I believe they had venture capital funding. I am not sure it is simple to release the technology for free. The investors would most likely not be happy with that, which is why Scalify was posting the IP for sale as well.

I wouldn't kick them when they are down though, I am sure they are working on a way to release the source.

8. JamesPro

JamesPro

If they don't open source it though then it leaves all of those who licensed it out of luck with out it being updated anymore or them having the ability to update it. So then they should be forced to refund all those who bought a license. With out the ability to update it there is no way that it would remain compatible with future versions of Unity3D so it's useless.

9. npsf3000

npsf3000

I agree. Of course, mostly because it gives me work when people unnecessarily build their own solutions and end up needing a complete overhaul ;)

10. dth

dth

Badumna is a great project, i tried a lot of 3rd partys or created myself, but p2p mix works perfect for my games... (fast paced mobile)... :/

I'm tuned for updates!

11. Muber Gaming

Muber Gaming

well, unfortunately scalify is gone for good.

pretty much they wont come back or turn on their websites to just put a notice about where they release the source code.

ill bet they are gone for good, nor they will come back to notify they will release it.

if they did not release it already they wont do it at all.

lets just be realist, they took the software with them to die in peace.

nooone come s back fro the dead, i assume they wont be the exception.

so i feel sorry for those already using the binary, no more updates no source at all. thank god i di dnot started any project with badumna, otherway ill be real unhappy waiting for a miracle to happen,
    if it did not happen on the promised day, it wont happen since they just gone for good.

how sad, lol, who can you bitch to? noone, lol, you left alone in the dark. :-(

ohh well, there is still several open source techs, like kbengine, awesome Bigworld tech clone mmo server with unity sdk plugin, why not use that, it is free, open source, and the creator daily updates the svn repo with bug fixing and new features.

so, i recommend letting badumna die in peace and just go grab kbengine ans start coding away your next mmo game.

cheers

12. B16B0SS

B16B0SS

They went bankrupt, there is no "they" anymore unfortunately. Like I said before, they are most likely not in a legal position to give away the tech as others invested millions into the business and they likely now own the technology. All this is guesswork though.

13. JamesPro

JamesPro

They should have known that when they made the announcement that they were shutting down and if that was the case they shouldn't have said they would release it opensource... Those who licensed it have money invested in it as well and now they are all screwed.

14. B16B0SS

B16B0SS

Yes, that certainly isn't a great position to be in. Hopefully you can run the server on the Amazon cloud or something.

15. truefx001

truefx001

I'm in the same boat as you and was looking around for a good solution and I think I found it.
    It's called SmartFoxServer they support everything with unity examples on how to set it up and
    a great monitoring Admin tool , the best thing of all they have a community free version for 100 CCU
    with all features of the full pro version no time limit.
    Hope this helps.

16. JamesPro

JamesPro

If you know Java (NOT JavaScript) then yes SmartFox might be an ok choice. Though if you want to go above 100ccu it's expensive. SmartFox was used for popular games such Club Penguin which is the number 1 Kids MMO and YoVille which was a popular Facebook and MySpace MMO.

17. GregMeach

GregMeach

Why are "they" still on the asset store???

18. MaZy

MaZy

So I need a dedicated server for it?
    Does it have auto matchmaking?

I have an app with 40k users with "fake" multiplayer which has a avarage of 9k bootups every day. So I want to make version 2 of it and with a real multiplayer and more features. So I thought about Badumna and few weeks ago I got their email :(.

I also thought about photon but 20 ccu is very less :rolleyes: or the "once pay" version :rolleyes:

19. truefx001

truefx001

You don't need Java , it comes in every language and for unity in C# , and for cloud server hosting they have the following
    solutions http://www.smartfoxserver.com/cloud
    You can also run a server on your own computer just read what they offer.
    Check out server4you.com they have great pricing for virtual and dedicated server with unlimited space and traffic which would be important to a MMO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  20. JamesPro

JamesPro

They have a Client SDK for just about every Language... Server side though it requires Java or Python if your using SmartFox Server 2x... SmartFox Server Pro you can use JavaScript, ActionScript 1, Java, or Python for Server side extensions. SmartFox Server 2x is the newest version though and has the best features.

21. JamesPro

JamesPro

yes you need a dedicated Server. Cloud Hosting, VPS, hosted Server, ect. would all work but you NEED something for a Server to host it on. As for Match Making I don't think it has anything out of the box for match making but it's something you could code.

22. truefx001

truefx001

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  23. truefx001

truefx001

Guys I got a email from the CEO of Scalify Steve Telburn,
    saying that there are still planning to take it open source but the legals are taking longer than expected as they can't open-source it directly from Scalify. Santosh will provide an update on the Unity forum and that the Scalify email addresses still
    working. So not everything is lost :)

24. tak2r

tak2r

25. Bruin

Bruin

tak2r you are a godsend.

26. Bruin

Bruin

Anybody wanna help pick this project back up open source and get it working again?

27. Bruin

Bruin

Kinda curious how this project could incorporate new blockchain techniques

28. truefx001

truefx001

@Bruin no idea about blockchain techniques but my games are all based on Badumna Multiplayer, let me know if you need a compiled version and documents, tutorial etc. (for Unity)