Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Badumna Network Suite - Unity version

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by peshwa_prince, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dontonka

dontonka

Hello, is Badumna reliable for FPS game which require fast communication between peers and doesn't tolerate much error precision, or it is more focus on MMO game? I read quickly a PDF which mention Badumna support both TCP and UDP at transport level, so from Unity with your API I would be able to specify which protocol to use for example? (as UDP is faster then TCP). For UDP, I've read Badumna can send reliable UDP, would it be possible to know the mechanism used in Badumna to acheive this?

Regards,
    Eric

2. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi Dontonka,
    You can use Badumna for FPS and you do have the option two options for sending updates across the network. All character updates that happen frequently such as position, animation, etc are sent using UDP (a custom reliable UDP protocol) and other updates such as gun shots, punches, etc are sent using TCP. To learn more about how to use Badumna in a game, you can read the Unity documentation on the Scalify website:
    http://www.scalify.com/documentation/Manual/unity.php
    Cheers,

3. dontonka

dontonka

Hello peshwa_prince, ohh that's nice :p, I would definitely give a try with Badumna then... Ok do I really need to have Unity Pro in order to use Badumna in my FPS game? I think so because it use Socket class or so correct?

please confirm

Cheers,
    Eric

4. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi Eric,
    If you are building for desktop (PC and Mac) you do not require Unity Pro (Indie version is sufficient). However, if you are building for iOS or Android you will require Unity Pro.
    Cheers.

5. dontonka

dontonka

thanks man. yes i'm full mobile only, so I'll need to open my fuc*** wallet hahhha :p

but im wondering it's worth the money then... i mean, do you think with that solution it would give better user experience (less lags) and more scalability (in theory yes, but in practice). I mean usually FPS game has max 8 - 12 players at once, would I be able to push this to 18 or even 24 with that solution? I know cost wise, it's a better choice, so at the end, even if user got same user experience, in long term it might be a good investment if the game works well.. sorry im brainstorming outloud :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. liverolA

liverolA

I just wonder if badumna has servers in asia? i tried the package and each time it will take a long time to connect and disconnect(freeze app for a while).the ping is not good!

7. ColdTree

ColdTree

Thank You Man! This Will Help A lot!

8. Merrik44

Merrik44

Hi there.

I understand that it is possible to run badumna in offline mode, I'm just not sure how to achieve this.
    I'd like rpc calls and instantiations to still occur locally so that players can still play when not connected to the internet.

I'm running the Scene-3 - Proximity chat demo, however, whenever I launch the demo while disconnected from the net it just throw errors.
    What do I need to change in order to for it to run offline?

Thanks in advance!

9. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi Merrik44,
    Since you are using Badumna Cloud, you are getting that error as you fail to get the config file from the webserver and hence the initialization fails. You need to bypass that step if you are offline. There is a response posted on the Badumna forum, that explains how you can do that. You can take a look.
    Cheers.

10. cfbdx

cfbdx