Search Unity

Badumna Network Suite - Unity version

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by peshwa_prince, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FunnyRobot

FunnyRobot

Well what if certain player sends one set of positional updates to the server and a different one to his enemies, creating "false image" for them to attack. From server's point of view they are attacking empty space and the cheater will avoid damage.

2. Lopuz3

Lopuz3

Hi,

I'm still working through the tutorials and I am a bit confused about the npcs. How does demo 3 and demo 4 connect, but not the other demos?

If I had a game in which I wanted to have both npcs and human players, how would I make sure that the terrain is the same on both the player's computers and on the headless server?

UPDATE:

I added a VERY large capsule to demo4. The npcs reacted to its presence and couldnt walk through it. However, My character form demo 3 could not see it and could walk straight through it. Is ther any way to tie the scene files together or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
    Lopuz3

3. Lopuz3

Lopuz3

Also, when I go to any of the liks to script references provided in comments, they give me 404 not found error. What's up with that?

4. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi there,
    I see your issue is that you have two separate projects. It will be easier if you have one project and just have 2 different scenes within them. One for your NPCs and one for the players. You will still need to make sure that the terrain information across both the scenes is the same so that you get consistent results for players and NPCs.
    Perhaps Unity has some neat way to link scenes for terrain information so if you change one scene it automatically updates the other scene information. You will have to check Unity documentation for that.
    In terms of the links not working, I apologize for that. We moved the api documentation to 1.3 branch after the beta release hence the links from the code stopped working. You can access the api information at this URL: http://www.badumna.com/api/1.3/badumna/class_badumna_1_1_network_facade.html
    Hope this information helps.
    Cheers...

5. mytoaster

mytoaster

Great, thanks! yea, having an example of a non-blocking login call would be great. I'm assuming this can't be put in a coroutine in it's current state since there's no place where you can place a mid-operation yield.

6. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

myToaster, I have attached a sample script that demonstrates how you would perform Badumna Login in a separate thread. Look at the Awake() function.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

7. mytoaster

mytoaster

Great, thanks so much!!! I made a couple adjustments to wrap the while loop waiting for the thread to finish in a coroutine so it'll yield to the main thread. It will also init the local player and such after the login is complete.

Attached Files:

8. Tomiha

Tomiha

Does anyone got Badumna working via a DLink DIR-635 router? It still doesn't work. I even tried it with my IP in DMZ mode. :S Please help me with the configuration of my router to get Badumna working on my desktop.

9. mytoaster

mytoaster

is there a concept of a standardized network time? is it possible to timestamp the serialized data with a network-wide time and deserialize with the same?

Thanks!

10. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

You can probably get access to network time, but I would strongly advise against using such time stamps as it is not reliable at all and considered bad design choice. If your program relies on such clocks, you are assuming the value is accurate and this will never be true in the real world and your program will sooner or later have problems.

Local time is the only safe clock that can be used.
    Cheers,

11. jashan

jashan

Will Badumna work with Unity 3 Web players? Unity 3 introduces the socket connection security policies, so things may be getting a little more complex than they are with Unity 2.6. This change most likely won't effect server-based multiplayer as it's pretty straightforward to have the relevant policy file served by the server ... but with real peer-to-peer this could be a bit tricky ...

12. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

There are a few options to resolve the webplayer socket policy issue in 3.0 and we are discussing with the UT guys on the best approach. The last resort would be to use Unity's transport module for the underlying connections.

13. mytoaster

mytoaster

Is there a way to batch add user accounts into the mysql db? I imagined this would just be a series of sql insert calls, but the password is stored encrypted. Can they be stored unencrypted?

It appears the only way to add user accounts is via the control center at the moment?

14. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

For security reasons, Dei doesn't support unencrypted passwords...Also, in 1.3 the only way to add users is via the Control Center. Ver 1.4(out in October) will include a web tool (including the source) to access the database and add/remove users. You will be able to customize this to your liking and will be able to batch add users etc.
    Hope this helps.

15. appels

appels

I'm getting this error :

but i can connect, just would like to know what this is about.

16. msborat

msborat

I can't get it to work i can't see the other lerpz plz help it it's some tutorials how to set the server

17. msborat

msborat

Now it works :D

18. msborat

msborat

It is any tutorials out there i can't get it to work it only works on lan :(

19. tosha96

tosha96

I have downloaded badumna, and am eager to use it, but it seems that the package is corrupted or something. The SeedPeer alias is broken, and when you manually click the .command file, it gives me this:

Last login: Wed Sep 22 12:38:07 on ttys000
    /Applications/Badumna\ Network\ Suite/SeedPeer/Resources/start_SeedPeer.command ; exit;
    *****-*****-MacBook:~ ******** /Applications/Badumna\ Network\ Suite/SeedPeer/Resources/start_SeedPeer.command ; exit;
    usage: dirname path
    Cannot open assembly 'SeedPeer.exe': No such file or directory.
    logout

[Process completed]

(I just blocked out my name from the terminal text).

Has anyone else had this problem? I have re-installed mono and badumna several times with no luck. The same thing happens when I run the Dei server. For some reason, the badumna folder is also invisible when I try to CD to it in terminal.

20. tak3r

tak3r

Did you have mono installed on your mac?

21. tosha96

tosha96

Yeah I have mono installed. I've moved on to beamserver though since badumna is not working.

22. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

You probably need to run in administrator mode...

23. psyclone

psyclone

Downloaded the lastest Budamna, and noticed there are some issues under Unity3...

The one that does concern me the most is the ability to export the Game, even after providing the chain of .NET dll's requires.

Has anyone else had any issues with this....

(Unity 3 Pro and Windows 7).

Jason

24. psyclone

psyclone

Unable to build any project that includes a Badumna Plugin, since Unity 3.0.

I have tried this one clean installs of both Win 7 64 Bit and Mac OS 10.6.4

25. psyclone

psyclone

Have resolved this... Damm default to the .NET 2.0 Subset :)

26. xomg

xomg

I like the idea behind this and the tutorials and sample projects are well written, etc, but I'm unsure of how this is all meant to work in the real world.

The first rule of multiplayer game development is "never trust the client", which means that everything has to go through an arbitration server for validation before being confirmed and sent out to other clients. There is no such thing as "non-critical" events in a multiplayer game, even for things like chat or "object updates" (whatever that means). This means that no game would have any use for the core peer-to-peer functionality built into Badumna, and all traffic would first go to an arbitration server and then get sent out to all clients in the same way that a traditional dedicated server works.

If this is true, what's the point of this project? The only traffic that I can think of that could make use of the peer-to-peer network would be chat, and even then you're leaving the door open for users to broadcast unvalidated messages that (for example) appear to be from admin users or similar.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  27. xomg

xomg

Anybody? I've found Badumna to be quite well integrated with Unity and it offers some nice features like easy scaling by adding more authoritative peers and built-in dead reckoning (which I haven't tested yet), but the completely empty support forum and no real use cases for the peer-to-peer aspects are worrying me. Somebody please give me a reason to use it!

edit: also, any news on the 1.4 release? I didn't notice that 1.3 only allows one arbitration server, which sort of reduces it entirely to a basic client->server networking system.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  28. scalify

scalify

Hi xomg, 1.4 is just a few days away and we'll have a new website, documentation, forum, showcase etc for you to review. We're also putting together a response to your security concerns.
    Thanks
    The Scalify Team

29. xomg

xomg

Excellent! Thanks for the reply and the positive news about 1.4, looking forward to trying it out!

I appreciated the Unity demos you provided with Badumna as they were relatively easy to understand for such a complicated thing as networking. I think focusing on providing more tutorials like this would lead to a lot more interest in the product. I felt like it would take me weeks to understand what the hell was going on inside the huge "MMO" example provided by Photon, for example, when what I really wanted was a relatively clean example project to build on. I've been programming for maybe 15 years, but have only just started experimenting with networking and it's humbled the crap out of me.

Thanks again, and great to hear that you're still working on this.

30. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Is already possible test in Local IP in the New Badumna Version ?

31. tak3r

tak3r

32. jpa

jpa

xomg,
    I think your first rule network games applies to competitive, pvp games. For co-op, non competitive games, a lot of interaction does not give you an advantage. You need an incentive to cheat for cheating to be a problem. (think sims online, or social building games) The really important bits of information need to be persisted, which by definition goes to the server.

Another example is non game impacting NPCs. What if I want a pack of deer to run past a group of players? There is no XP for killing the deer (no incentive), but this operation is extremely expensive on the server. Most MMOs are very sparse and empty because the server load and lag. P2P could make the world come to life (even if its non game affecting).

Also, I think P2P networks can perform interesting cheat detection. If a peer does the same calculations (i.e. hit detection and health subtraction) and gets a different result than the broadcasting peer, then that peer can be flagged for cheating. two of more peers that flag the same peer is pretty good evidence of cheating. This makes cheating only possible when you are by yourself.

Lastly, you can use non-real time log analysis to spot cheaters. This is much cheaper than an authoritative server's bandwidth and cpu. This is how Blizzard finds gold farmers, even if they are using a legit client. Cheater's usage profile will stand out from normal game behavior.

Hope this helps on how P2P arch can reduce server load...

33. ChocoMan123

ChocoMan123

Um... is Badumna still free? Because the cheapest thing I see on the site is a $200 Indie Version

34. zumwalt

zumwalt

I do not think Baduma was ever free, not for commercial use anyway, free to try, but I think that was about it.

35. Zu01

Zu01

I went to the website excited, almost had a heart attack when I saw $200. But hey, I feel rich with $50.

36. Ensane

Ensane

--Edit--

Realizing now the indie license isn't monthly whew!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  37. duke

duke

What's the difference between the MMO and Indie license, aside from income requirement?

38. scalify

scalify

Hi Duke,

The functionality of the Indie and MMO (Pro) solutions is the same.

To qualify for the Indie license a company needs to have less than US$200K revenue and a maximum of 5 staff/contractors. The Indie licenses have a maximum of between 500 and 5000 concurrent users (depending on the Tier purchased).

Cheers
    The Scalify Team

39. Yhoko_legacy

Yhoko_legacy

Where do I find Unity example projects for Badumna?

40. cemC

cemC

Are there any project made by Badumma as an example? Have you ever been used Badumma on your projects (Especially for professional)?

41. scalify

scalify

There are some examples projects here http://scalify.com/showcase.php

There are also lots of Unity/Badumna projects currently in development that will be launching over the coming months.

Cheers
    The Scalify Team

42. Yhoko_legacy

Yhoko_legacy

Sorry I meant more like code examples. The documentation looks great but I rather prefer some examples to quickly check out how it works.

43. scalify

scalify

Hi Yhoko,

Apart from the code examples in the documentation, the code for the Troll Basher game is included as part of the Indie license. A lot of our customers have found this very useful.

Cheers
    The Scalify Team

44. Yhoko_legacy

Yhoko_legacy

Thank you!

45. Ashtefere

Ashtefere

Is there a unity 3 non-pro version of troll basher? I have purchased badumna but we arent able to use it until we buy a unity pro license, it would seem.

-Ash

46. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi Ash,
    Troll Basher Unity project uses some of the pro features, hence the standard Troll Basher distribution package requires Unity Pro. We have made a cut-back version of Troll Basher project available for all Badumna users who are using Unity Indie. Please connect with us either via the Badumna forum or by sending a note and we can provide details on how to download or use it.
    Cheers,

47. Tom163

Tom163

Am I blind or does it not make a mention of what server OS it runs on? Lots of marketing speak about how great it is, but no basic information saying "you need a Linux server, we recommend this much RAM for this many CCU". Very thin on the technical details.

48. Yhoko_legacy

Yhoko_legacy

49. luisfdeleon

luisfdeleon

Will Badumna work for a game on Android and iOS mobile devices?

50. scalify

scalify

Hi Luisfdeleon,

If you are using Unity to develop your games, we have versions available for Android and iOS platforms. Please note that the trial version of Badumna will not support Android/iOS platforms.

Thanks
    The Scalify Team