Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Badumna Cloud Open Beta

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by peshwa_prince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi all,
    I just wanted to inform everyone that Badumna Cloud is now in open beta. Badumna Cloud is a fully managed networking service that lets you build real-time multiplayer games for mobile devices. You can start instantly, without writing any networking code.
    Initially, the features offered are automated state synchronization, matchmaking, chat, interest management, and built-in dead reckoning. You can learn more at: cloud.badumna.com
    Cheers,

2. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

nice deal,
    altho, am fairly new to this app so bare with me.

got a couple of questions,

- i assume badumna cloud the same as photon cloud that does not support authoritative server. right?
    meaning one can not code the server to add anticheating etc...? or is there a work around?

- how about physics and collision detection server side, is this supported or is it only on standalone server/non cloud app?

- if the above is not supported, are you guys going to release a new $ deals for non cloud/standalone badumna server for indies?
    ie: free 100 cc etc....... like the cloud?

BTW, i see the non cloud/standalone badumna server does not have the matchmaking feature like the cloud does, is this correct?

thanks in advanced

3. runningbird

runningbird

Signed up can't wait to test this out...

4. Geoff (Scalify)

Geoff (Scalify)

Badumna Cloud supports peer-to-peer networking, so there is no authoritative server.
    If you are using the full Badumna Network Suite, you have the option to host your own arbitration servers that can run authoritative game logic.
    Also, you can still use your own custom servers alongside Badumna Cloud if you desire.

I don't know if there are any plans to change pricing on the full Badumna Network Suite. For all licensing enquiries you can contact:
    licensing@scalify.com

Matchmaking is presently only supported in Badumna Cloud, but we do plan to include it in the full Badumna Network Suite in future.

Regards,
    Geoff.

5. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

:-(
    thanks,

so i just stick with SFS or Ulink for now
    good day

6. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

I have been working on learning this stuff and after investing the comparing the Badumna solutions to the others- I am glad I found them..

the ability to scale out the number of users while using alot less hardware is a big deal to a poor dev like me:

I am NOT a employee for them or what have you.. But I am working on integrating with them and they are extremely responsive on helping people out..
    (their responsiveness and helpfulness inspired me to post this)

:)

7. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

would of been nice if it was 3.5.7 compatible.

8. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi John,
    Badumna Cloud is fully compatible with Unity 3.5.7. In fact, all the demos included in the package are made using Unity 3.5.7 and have been tested on Unity 4 as well.
    If you are having any issues in using Badumna Cloud then please feel free to ask here or on the Badumna Cloud forum.

9. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Really looking at it in the asset store and it is telling me that it needs Unity upgrade to version 4.0.1. Unless you have another cloud set up some where else I can down load and try.

10. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi John,
    Just visit cloud.badumna.com and you can sign-up and download the Unity package.
    Let me know if you have still have issues with that package.
    Regards,

11. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

one more question are the monthly prices going to change when the open beta ends? from what I can tell badumnas ccu's are cheeper then photons. So what I am trying to figure out is are there any differences between the two? reason being some times you get what you pay for. Some times you just get a better deal. How would you rate badumna to photon?

12. runningbird

runningbird

It has more features than Photon cloud and it's really easy to set it up.

Also they answer questions very fast in their support forums.

I had one about 3D rotation sent as an update and within a few hours had the example.

13. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

If the monthly prices stay the same after the open beta , I will probably use badumna just a little worried that if I start using it and after the beta ends the prices might go up. Or they might not and every thing will be all good.

14. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Peer to Peer communication is not reliable by nature, even when using NAT sometimes two players can not connect to each other, Can i ask how badumna, with what protocol tries to solve it? Something other than the probability of having more connectable users when you have a lot of players. The game needs to take off before it gets lots of users.

15. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi John, with regards to your query - the monthly prices for Badumna Cloud are fixed and are not intended to change after the beta period ends.
    Hi Ashkan_gc, with regards to your query - Badumna uses a combination of STUN protocols to solve the NAT traversal issue. Badumna will try and establish a direct connection between players. If for some reason, two players are not able to connect to each other, Badumna will resort to relay (using its cloud servers). This mechanism ensures that you always have connectivity between players.
    Please note that Badumna uses a hybrid architecture (combination of client/server and peer-to-peer), giving you the best of both worlds.
    Regards.

16. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Well , I think in games which latency is an important concept it will not work unless we use arbitration servers for latency critical parts of gameplay. Am i right?

17. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

In the default mode, Badumna would typically halve the latency compared to standard client-server connections. Therefore, if latency is crucial for your game, then you should definitely use the default mode. If you use an Arbitration server for some of your game functionality, then your latency would be inline with standard client-server latency. Hope that helps.
    Regards.

18. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Are there any plans on changing the unity version in the asset store to 3.5.7 for badumna? I know you have a 3.5 version on your web site but I am getting the impresion like most assets in the store are switching over to 4.0 which leves us 3.5 users in the dark even when we purchas a asset for 3.5 then the asset switches to 4.0 only leaving no support for 3.5. The main reason I am asking is becouse you have a 3.5 version but you post a 4.0 version in the asset store which makes me think badumna might go 4.0 only.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  19. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi John, I see your point. We will look into updating the asset store package to support 3.5.
    Cheers.

20. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Any word on updating the asset store to 3.5?

21. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Yep, its been updated. If you download Badumna Cloud from the Asset Store now it is compatible with 3.5.

22. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Thanks will give it a shot this weekend.