Search Unity

Bad VR Performance with HDRP

Discussion in 'VR' started by LuciaGambardella, Feb 17, 2020.

1. LuciaGambardella

LuciaGambardella

Hi there,

I've been testing both HDRP and UWRP on a HP Z Series with a Nvidia Quadro P5000 and Intel I7.

However, also using Unity's demo Alchemy Lab VR, I have on build done only (Non-stable) 60 fps.
    So, I think that if on a very little project like Alchemy Lab VR, we have lagging and poor fps, on a bigger project with much more interation and objects the fps will be like 20-40.

In the end, my question is: HDRP (at it 7.2 ver) is still not ready to handle big project in VR?

Thanks!

2. Noa3

Noa3

What you except from a Unity Feature what is called from the advertising team "Production ready"?

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Dragnipurake97 likes this.
  4. LuciaGambardella

LuciaGambardella

Thanks Peter77, I alredy knew about UWRP, but it has a lot of missing features.
    However I decided to go for UWRP and find a work around for the things that are missing.

5. dhuang

dhuang

I just recently started testing HDRP or URP for our upcoming project. and it looks like with VR, HDRP is still very unstable. The FPS can be quite low with a relatively empty scene. also single pass instance seems to work and then not work sometime. It looks like URP is still the way forward for now.

I was wondering, by "missing features", what were you referring to? Like volumetric lights and fog?

6. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

@LuciaGambardella
    Hi, Did you ever figure this out?

This is my concern too, not only that, even on an empty scene, I am getting like 7ms-9ms (vs 2ms solid/stable on URP).

I posted question similar to yours here:https://forum.unity.com/threads/vr-and-hdrp-pc-what-do-need-to-know.916379/#post-6003578

7. LuciaGambardella

LuciaGambardella

Still avoiding HDRP and keep using SRP or UWRP with custom effects or shader to achieve realistic results in VR. I think there is a bad development behind HDRP, something messed up with the render pipeline, in particular on Virtual Reality.

FlightOfOne likes this.
  8. qoobit

qoobit

Do you guys have a snapshot of the profiler? Hiccups usually happen going from version to version or system to system, but providing profiler data (or even better profiler comparisons) will help people understand the problem better and provide more insightful suggestions on how to proceed.

9. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

I've attached the profiler when used on an HDRP scene that has a plane with three cubes stacked on top of one another like a pyramid. I'm using Unity 2019.3.14, HDRP 7.4.1, and an HTC Vive Cosmos.

Attached Files: