Search Unity

Bad Unity Performance after Plastic SCM

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by enesacil35, Feb 18, 2022.

1. enesacil35

enesacil35

Hi there!
    Our organization migrated to Plastic SCM automatically. Then we upgraded our Unity Version to 2021.1.25f1 which supported Plastic SCM. Migrate popup came and we switch Collab to Plastic SCM.
    But after Plastic SCM, Unity has bad performance. Too slow, even we can’t do the simple moves. Please help us to solve this problem. Our business stopped for 2 days! Nobody asked me about Plastic SCM, and suddenly everything just stopped.
    Is there any way back to Collaboration?

fevzi233 and ericpug like this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @enesacil35, I'm very sorry that you're experiencing poor performance in the Unity Editor after your migration from Collab to Plastic SCM.

Could you try uninstalling the Version Control package in the the Package Manager to verify if the Editor performance returns to normal? If the Editor does return to normal than we can confirm that Plastic SCM is affecting your Editor's performance in some way. If it doesn't, then there might be another change that is affecting your Editor's performance.

There are no plans to move back to Collaborate, as the service is being replaced with Plastic SCM.

3. nukadelic

nukadelic

Same here on 2020.3.1f

Performed action : moved object transform with mouse gizmo - results in editor lock

upload_2022-3-2_6-36-7.png
    screenshot : https://imgur.com/BuuLd17

Sometimes it can freeze up to 5 seconds

When i toggle work offline in Project Settings > Version Control [ mode=PlasticSCM ] it no longer slows down

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    ericpug likes this.
  4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @VVad, I'm sorry you're seeing performance hits from the legacy Version Control integration for Plastic SCM. If you upgrade to at least 2020.3.15f1 and use the latest Version Control package (1.15.13), do you still experience the same performance hit?

5. enesacil35

enesacil35

Hi, thanks for your help.
    We changed our Unity Version ( 2020.3.29f1) and it seems ok now.
    But we have another issue. When we try to sent our updates with Pending Changes, we usually get “The remote host closed the socket” error. Especially we get this error when we want to sent a little bit huge asset (300-400 MB). So we have to sent project piece by piece.
    Please let me know if we can get rid of this nightmare. Thanks again.

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Glad to hear that it's working better for you. To help address the socket timeout issues you're getting you can try increasing your timeout to see if that helps.

You can do that by finding your plastic4 folder (under $HOME/.plastic4 on Linux/Mac systems or C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\plastic4 on Windows), opening your client.conf config file, then adding "<SocketConnectTimeoutMillisec>10000</SocketConnectTimeoutMillisec>" before the "</ClientConfigData>" line, saving your changes, and reopening your project so that the changes can take affect. From there, you can try tweaking that number (making sure to restart the project after each edit) until the timeout stops. Let me know if that helps.

7. Jizai-Ginji

Jizai-Ginji

Hi everyone,

i experience a simular problem. We migrated to Plastic SCM today and since that, every game start results in a lower framerate (way over 60 before and 30 fps now). If i disable Plastic SCM the frames are at 60 again. Has anyone an idea how to solve this?

thanks in advance :).

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We just don't use the Unity plugin and just use the plastic client.

ron-bohn likes this.
  9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Jizai-Ginji, I'm sorry that you're experiencing a drop in frame rate for your projects while Plastic SCM is enabled in your project. Just to confirm, were you seeing the frame rate return to normal after you removed the Version Control package from the Package Manager?

You mentioned "every game" starts with a lower frame rate. Does this refer to multiple Unity Projects experiencing this same issue, or the same Project being re-run multiple times? Do you have a repro project that you'd be willing to share with me that I could use to file a bug with the dev team?

10. Omniaffix-Dave

Omniaffix-Dave

Plastic SCM causing horrible hangs for our project as well. "projectbrowser.ongui.repaint" and mousedown events primarily showing. On many occasions were having to force quit and relaunch the project from the hub.

salamlex147 likes this.
  11. ercutto

ercutto

I agree this is really terrible

FamishedMammal likes this.
  12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Omniaffix-Dave and @ercutto, I'm so sorry you've both been experiencing this issue. Would either of you be willing to share access to your projects to help us debug this freezing behavior? You can DM me with more details if you'd prefer.

13. bradbecker

bradbecker

Unity completely locks up if I'm offline at all. This behavior started after I started using Plastic. The whole editor locks up with repaint message (usually) and will never come back even if internet is restored. You have to hard close it, which risks corrupting files. This sucks.

Cubixrube likes this.
  14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Do not use the plugin, just use the client. Unity packages for versioning have always been the worst thing ever and I do not see that changing any time soon.

15. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

This issue should be fixed in the new package version we are releasing this week.

16. bradbecker

bradbecker

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

17. ianmccleary

ianmccleary

Hello,
    My team and I are running into this issue. Do you know when we can expect the new package? Will it work for Unity 2020.3?

18. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your package version? Are you using 1.17.0 (or newer)?

19. ianmccleary

ianmccleary

Yes, we're on 1.17.2. I was on Unity 2020.3.33. I updated to 2020.3.37 just to see if it would fix the issue, which unfortunately didn't work.

After making a change to a prefab and saving, sometimes the Plastic SCM window becomes stuck on "Finding changes in the workspace...". If I try to save any changes afterwards, Unity locks up completely.
    upload_2022-8-4_10-57-8.png

20. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The pending changes calculation depends on the size of the workspace, the number of changed items, the speed of the disk and the options you have enabled in the "Pending changes" view.

If you have enabled multiple options that require going through the disk (eg: locally move detection), it will take a longer time to calculate the pending changes but it shouldn't lock up Unity.
    Anyway, by checking the client log, we can review where the time is spent:
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

Not sure if you are using the Unity plugin or the Plastic cloud edition GUI (www.plasticscm.com --> Downloads). For editing the pending changes preferences and debugging the issue with pending changes, using the Plastic GUI could help

21. ianmccleary

ianmccleary

I temporarily removed all logs and then reproduced. These are the logs from opening Unity and reproducing the freeze.

I poked a bit around the logs and I did notice this:
    2022-08-04 11:16:19,618 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm ERROR WorkspaceOperationsMonitor - Error running the tasks loop : These items are exclusively checked out by:
    /Assets/Engauge_Data_Static/Biome_City/BarrageFlier/BarrageFlier.prefab (wk:ian.mccleary.engauge owner:ian.c.mccleary@gmail.com)

I am ian.c.mccleary@gmail. Is it complaining that it can't check out this prefab because I already have it checked out?

Attached Files:

• logs.7z
      File size:
      14.9 KB
      Views:
  22. ianmccleary

ianmccleary

I also notice a lot of `DEBUG WatcherFsNodeReader - FsWatcher` events checking the Library and Temp folders even though those are set to Private / Ignored

23. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The finding changes calculation seems to be pretty fast so I don't this is the problem:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 022-08-04 11:16:10,006 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher - Process changes: 438
    2. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,006 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher - -------ProcessChanges:--------
    3. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,007 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -     timerProcessChange 0 ms, 16 times
    4. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,007 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -         timerIsBinaryPath 0 ms, 0 times
    5. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,007 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -             timerIsBinaryTypePredictor 0 ms, 0 times
    6. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,007 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -     timerGetChangeTypes 47 ms, 14778 times
    7. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,008 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -         timerGetIgnoredTypes 15 ms, 26 times
    8. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,008 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -         timerGetCloakedTypes 0 ms, 0 times
    9. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,008 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -         timerCheckChanged 0 ms, 0 times
    10. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,008 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -             timerChangedCalcHash 0 ms, 0 times
    11. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,009 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -         timerGetHiddenTypes 0 ms, 1 times
    12. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,009 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher -     timerGetFsNodes 140 ms, 722 times
    13. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,009 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher - GettingChanges: 438
    14. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,014 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher - ProcessingMoved: 15 (downloading match candidates: 0, match overhead: 15)
    15. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,015 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus: DiskChangesSearcher - SplitModifiedMovedChanges: 0
    16. 2022-08-04 11:16:10,015 DESKTOP-N16HUO2\iancm DEBUG WorkspaceStatus - Search changes time - Total: 453 ms. Disk: 438 ms. Network: 0 ms. Overhead: 15 ms.
    This is a bit strange. Especially if you don't see any GUI error. Could it be possible that you have a secondary workspace where this item is checked out?
    If you install the Plastic GUI, it may help to debug the issue.

Anyway, if you open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com, we can even arrange a meeting with you to debug your setup.

24. MA-Rob

MA-Rob

Sigh, took us days to figure out the Version Control package was the culprit behind huge spikes and lag in the Editor... 2022.1.13f1

25. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your Version Control package version?

Can you add the Plastic client logs?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4

What are the steps to reproduce these lag?

26. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I think this slowness is just the quality of the plugin. It has spectacularly negative performance impact on real life projects with multiple developers and artists.

Been using plastic with unity since 2019.

The plugin is still awful, still slow, and still breaks the workspace at least once per week. (Stuck in some error state that the client can neither undo nor check-in from)

I try out the plugin every now and then, but it adds significantly to domain reload times, introduces more glitches into an already glitchy editor, and generally doesn't present the information like a game developer needs it, and all that without an inkling of respect for screen real estate.

(Gluon and Plastic Alpha are getting considerably better, but this small win is offset by the even worse Rider "plugin" which out-snails and out-glitches even the unity plugin. In the past 5 to 10 updates, especially with Toolbox Rider installs, it doesn't even bother showing up so maybe it's gone for good but my money is on a broken installer that does not grok how Jetbrains Toolbox installs Work in 2022 - this plugin should instead be on the Jetbrains plugins repository, not a weird "point us to where your ide is installed, we will patch it but we won't tell you how and whether it was successful" way. Given the performance, I suppose Jetbrains doesn't allow it to be deployed there)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  27. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your Version Control package version? Most of these problems were fixed after 1.17.X

If you do some testing with the latest package version and you are facing some issues, we would like to arrange a meeting with you to debug it. Your feedback is very welcome.

28. SilverAura

SilverAura

I use Unity on my desktop while at home and my laptop while at work. Plastic SCM worked perfectly for that when syncing between my laptop and desktop before and after work. My issue? Work internet doesn't allow me to sync with Plastic SCM for some reason.

Despite having the project synced and everything up to date, the moment I try to do just about anything, with two examples recorded below showing Unity becoming practically unusable with Plastic SCM when offline.

I'm off the Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday if you'd be interested in a debug meeting here.

This example was made on my desktop. When recording I forgot to hide it as I do on my laptop, where the issue still occurs.

29. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

As far as I can see you are asked to enter the credentials. If you enter your credentials, are you able to continue working?

Assuming the issue is only happening from your work network, the issue seems like network related, right?
    Can you attach the Plastic client logs?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

If there is some configuration issue and you rename/remove the following folder, you can reconfigure the Plastic client from scratch:
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4

30. DX4D

DX4D

Unity 2021.3.16f1

Constant popup window asking to connect to Plastic while working offline with no internet connection. Easy fix is to turn off Version Control in project settings while offline, but a toggle on that popup window would be nice for people that don't realize that. ("Work Offline" button until unity restarts type of thing)

31. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @DX4D,

What is your Version Control package version?
    It should be possible to work offline with the latest version.

Regards,
    Carlos.

32. nescafever

nescafever

What is ur version control package version?.

33. codenameglassy

codenameglassy

I had backed up my projects in unity team and collab with paid subscription.
    Unity migrated projects to plastic scm without any permissions.
    we tried looking through everywhere with plastic scm and cannot find our migrated projects??

34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

HI @codenameglassy, we sent a few emails notifying the migration and explaining the changes and how you can keep using the projects in Plastic SCM.

Please open a ticket at devops-vcs-support@unity3d.com letting us know your email en organization name so we can debug your migrated projects.

Regards,
    Carlos.