Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad shadows

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by lernin, Dec 27, 2021.

1. lernin

lernin

Hello, I'm using Unity HDRP 2021.2.4f1. My dynamic character has dots in the shadows. Does anyone know how to fix?
    Shadow Dots.png

2. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Are you sure it's HDRP?
    the sky,the shading,the exposure,the tonemapping,they all look like in built-in or URP.

and if it's hdrp then your shader must be a custom one, you should switch to a default one and check it again.

Sean__R likes this.
  3. PutridEx

PutridEx

Actually, I just now experienced the exact same issue with my hand rig.
    And i'm using the exact same version as you, this is 100% a bug.

I opened 2020 LTS and tried it out with the same object, and there's no shadow issues there.
    I'm not sure if it's fixed in the more recent 2021.x updates, but if not, bug report needs to be sent.

4. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Check in your pipeline asset if you've changed your shadow filtering from medium to high.

With high, other than the more Physically accurate shadows, you will get a screenspace dithering effect as well.

However, this looks to be like low shadow resolution.

If you're lighting a character in an open space and it's the only object you can pull your shadows ( and cascades if using) much closer than the default distance.

You can also check your directional shadow casters resolution, since the total resolution of that is what's stretched across your shadow component/cascade settings.

So you can do that before baking and probes for a dynamic object.

DevBaro likes this.
  5. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

i recommend to all you consider giving more detail info about your api / versions and also include what shader aka custom or Unity

when talking about api levels include all the numbers and for unity version avoid use of "x" try to say the full version number and api

if you are using a Unity shader non custom try reporting the bug and include the case number in chat for Unity

6. PutridEx

PutridEx

I think it's a bug. I had this problem in 2021.4 - but not in 2020.
    Using hdrp lit shader.

7. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

Humm
    2020 has api starting in 8.2.0 all the way up thru LTS 10.7.0
    each major api has significant changes such as from 10x going up thru 11x / 12x a number of changes in combining #pragma's into single lines. Unity has slowly been rolling down many of the subject changes into the lower api's

i have no idea about 2021.4
    i think unity was scheduled to release that next year

i would suggest check the unity shader file in packages see if any errors
    also check shadow quality including atlas size

8. lernin

lernin

Thank you, the shadows look a lot better in 2021.4.