Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Bad fonts

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Antypodish, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Antypodish

Antypodish

Generally really bad choice of fonts.

Nothing more or less to add
    upload_2019-10-16_18-6-26.png

mgear likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not that bad, at least you have the choice to use the other font if you don't like the default. ;)

Inter (default):

Capture.JPG

Verdana:

Capture2.JPG

Antypodish likes this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

If 1920 you call tiny, I assume you work in cinema:)

There is significant spacing issue. See 2019.2 for example
    upload_2019-10-16_18-57-24.png

now 2020. Install buttons looks like just been put during a break, drinking coffee in one hand.

But yeah, I am happy for that option :)

4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I posted it in another thread already, but I believe the font choice (Inter) is well chosen (the font looks awesome in a web browser), but the Unity editor has many small issues with rendering the font nicely. There is some squashing and stretching going on and fake bold instead of using the actual bold font and so on. So it's more of an implementation issue than a design issue.

5. Player7

Player7

Well chosen? A font that is by design tall and takes up more vertical space... well chosen? where you end up having to scroll more to see the same stuff than you did before.. where you would have seen even more without scrolling..... that is in your opinion well chosen design choice?

I couldn't think of anything more retarded than the current design choices going on in Unity's frontend UX right now... it looks like a right screw up on every level.. like someone just got free reign to mess it all up with there crappy choices of font and styling. Design by committee I suppose.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  6. JoNax97

JoNax97

Stop cursing.

Prodigga and hippocoder like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Really? You forget that, up to now, you couldn't choose what font to use. If you don't like the default new font, use the other one.

The font problems will be fixed in future versions.

8. Player7

Player7

So everytime I update version... I'll have to go in a change the font aswel and mess with that...and its not just the font face, it's sizing and all the rest of the poor choices in style changes they've done like add extra padding and just generally bloat the interface up for more scrolling and increased window resizing ... I guess Unity is now being designed for the mentally handicapped and those who can't see good or something .

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

You have a problem with that? I have a bad eyesight.

MegamaDev likes this.
  10. Player7

Player7

I don't have a problem with options being provided for those with such difficulties to change for themselves, options are always good.. BUT I'm NOT fine with such bad defaults being chosen to satisfy the minority with such problems.. it's ass backwards and Unity bending over for it that is pissing me off with these rubbish looking gui changes that are going on in 2019.3

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, whatever. Switch to Verdana.

12. Baste

Baste

I have no clue what you're trying to achieve. Make yourself feel good by ranting?

You've pretty much guaranteed that everyone that have any ability to make a change based on your opinions has stopped caring about what you might think, because you're being obnoxious.

@hippocoder? Wanna save the thread?

hippocoder likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks yeah I've dished out warnings by pressing buttons that and it's not my fault if that triggers the automatic bans. If people can't express the same data without offending others (because offending others is meaningless in software development) then they will find posting ends for them.

As others have said - you can pick the font.

I do have a problem with small fonts (it's infesting the docs now...) but still, I don't need to throw out insults. And if I was going to insult it'd be along the lines of: "You have all the impertinence of Mr Magoo high on windscreen wiper polish".

TLDR stick to attacking data not staff/other users, even indirectly, there's no point. Come on. Also this is the alpha/beta/experimental area so moderation should be firmer here.

Laicasaane likes this.
  14. Baste

Baste

Yeah, I'm in the same place. While I realize that having fonts display well at different sizes on different operating systems and with different screens is hard, I'm surprised it's still not something Unity's managed to solve before they put the new UI into production.

No reason to throw slurs and conspiracy theories around because the fonts look a bit bad, though.

Prodigga, JoNax97 and hippocoder like this.
  15. protopop

protopop

I noticed that was a site wide change today - im glad its not just me. I cmd+ the font size but It made me think when I was a young designer and we all wanted to use tiny fonts, and users kept begging for slightly larger ones - I totally get it now, and the font size used on these forum posts is nice:)

16. tcz8

tcz8

OMG I'm so happy I'm not alone. I like the larger font but it's so blurry, I have a hard time getting used to it. I hope they will fix it.

Marc-Saubion likes this.