Search Unity

Backwoods Gaming's Addons for Gaia

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BackwoodsGaming, Mar 1, 2016.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Congrats! :D

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks! :)

Oh and btw.. I can't wait to see the screenies everyone posts! And don't forget to submit support tickets at http://backwoodsgaming.com with your invoice numbers so I can reward you with purchase points for your purchases. Purchases here on the unity asset store are worth 2 points per dollar while purchases at my web store are worth 3 points per dollar. Points build up towards discounts/free pack offers in the future. :) I'll eventually have an app on the website that auto-registers the invoice and awards the points, but for now I'll be doing it manually. So don't panic when you submit a ticket and your points aren't instantly there! :) Purchases made on the web store automatically accumulate their points at time of purchase.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  3. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Well, to celebrate the first two packs getting accepted on the asset store I finished up the work to get volume 3 submitted. So we are back to waiting again! heheh. Below are some of the asset store screenshots I prepared for the submission. The ones below are using the desert models from Philipp Schmidt's Big Environment Pack 3.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Vol3DesertArea008-x555y73z103r215.jpg
    Vol3DesertArea010-x324y113z-226r309.jpg
    Vol3DesertArea011-x0y72z0r130.jpg
    Vol3DesertArea006-x196y76z-10r41.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    turboscalpeur, TonyLi and TheSeawolf like this.
  4. wolfen231

wolfen231

Just bought Desert pack on your site. Not waiting for Asset store again on this one. Especially with GDC around.

5. Arganth

Arganth

looking beautyful ;)

could you include some of this examples within a pack
    (just the gaia "profile" or how its called)
    would be easier for us to just then replace it with our assets and see what we can achieve :)

6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

The are using GaiaDefaults and GaiaResources that come with Gaia. The only difference is I did like you said you want to do with the desert pack one and replaced what was in GaiaResources with Big Environments Pack 3 assets. So if all you are wanting to do is replace, you can already do this with your existing GaiaResources.

I will, however, be working this month on code which will allow you to play my session files from the Gaia Extensions. Once that is done, I'll be updating all packs to 1.1.0 with new scripts and the session files. Hopefully I can get that done within the next week or two.

7. wolfen231

wolfen231

8. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey Shawn67, I just purchased your two packs on the asset store! Congratulations on the release.

I'd like to present three terrain pack ideas that will be very helpful in my project.

1. Promontories
    2. Bays and inlets
    3. Mountain glens (valleys), glacial valleys as opposed to oceanic erosion.

Your village stamps will be the first screenshots I've produced, and they'll feature a new building style using @S4G4N village exterior pack....hopefully tonight if I don't get distracted playing Far Cry Primal again!

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  9. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Great suggestions! I'll add them into the mix. :) As far as mountain glens, check out village stamp 4. Is that kind of what you are talking about? :)

Can't wait to see your screenshots! And thanks for your support! :)

S4G4N likes this.
  10. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey @TheSeawolf, how would you rank these in order of importance? My pack schedule is already done for the year but there are going to be some delays in starting with the POI packs and it might be a couple months before I'll be able to start submitting those. So I might be able to squeeze in one or two more stamp packs in the time I would have been building POI packs between now and then.

Also if you could link/post some pictures of ideas of the type of stuff you would like to see as promontories and mountain glens, that would be awesome. I had heard the term promontory before but it isn't something widely used around where I am because I am almost purely inland (other than the great lakes separating Ohio and some of the northern US states and Canada. Names of some areas or photos to give me an idea of your vision of both these feature types will help me narrow down at least some of them that I put in the packs to fit your specific vision. :)

TheSeawolf likes this.
  11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

What is next?
    After getting the volume 3 - desert pack released, some of you may be wondering what is next. As you can see on the schedule, I have added Islands as the April volume but I have also moved the date back from the 15th to the 2nd. This was done because my original schedule was to release a Gaia POI pack on the 2nd and start alternating between POI packs and stamp packs every 15 days as each pack can take up to a couple of weeks to prepare when you combine building the pack, testing, and then creating all the images. With the POI packs being delayed, I have moved up the stamp pack release for April. My goal is still to release a pack every 15 days, but what pack I release will be dependent on details of POI packs being worked out and finalized. Until that point, I will be doing solely stamp packs and as posted in my previous post in reply to @TheSeawolf, I have packs planned through the end of the year but that is based on a 30 day release schedule. So if you have specific stamp types you would like to see, post them and I will do my best to work some of them into my development cycle. :)

Why the delay in POI Packs?

When building things that require working with other artists' assets, it is important to build a solid and complete method to produce the asset. This requires not only ensuring you aren't distributing someone else's work, but also equally important to ensure that all parties involved (in this case me, the art asset publisher, and Unity) have an understanding of what is going on. 3DForge's Cobus ( @S4G4N ) and I have a great understanding in what I am planning on doing and that I am not redistributing his stuff. But before I actually start into a production cycle, I want to make sure that I have everything clearly setup so I can also present the idea to other art publishers so I can not only do packs for medieval/historical games which Cobus' stuff is awesome for, but also POI packs for survival, apocalyptic, sci-fi, etc which are assets I would need to work with other art publishers on. So I decided it is best to delay and make sure I have everything setup properly to do this. Also, while I understand the POI system in Gaia there are still a few things about it I want to really get my head wrapped around better. I will be working to setup some time with @AdamGoodrich after he gets back from GDC to see if he can help with some things I have questions on. I will also talk more with Cobus about how I can communicate with the other artists to help make it clear exactly what I'm doing. And then I have the fun of communicating with the Asset Store what I am doing so they understand what is going on with what I am submitting. You might be asking, "Why are you talking to Cobus, aren't POIs a Gaia thing?" You are definitely right. But as an artist publisher who created his own blueprint system for his packs, Gaia POIs are a very similar concept. And since Cobus understands his blueprints, it might be easier for him to understand what I am doing with the POI packs whereas another art publisher may not. Plus I already have a great working relationship with him which makes it even easier. :p

What can you expect between now and the Backwoods stamp pack volume 4?
    I am currently working on the first newsletter for Backwoods Gaming. The newsletter is a monthly email which I will be sending out to announce packs coming for the next month, new tutorials that have been posted on my site, recent asset additions to my web store, and any special offers.

I'm also trying to wrap my head around using social media to both make people aware of Backwoods Gaming as well as keeping folks updated without being spamy. If you want to follow what we are doing on social media, there are icons in the right sidebar at the web store you can use to follow us. I'll also be adding a newsletter signup to the sidebar soon as well.

If you look at the social media icons I have, you will notice one of them is YouTube but I don't yet have any videos shared. Once I can get my computer issues lined out, the goal is to get a quick start video up to show the process outlined in the quick start guide on the site. Also I want to show how you can use a single stamp in different ways to come up with totally different outcome. I'm not sure this will be done before the Volume 4 release, but it is in the plans.

The last thing I hope to have done prior to Volume 4 is adding session support to the Backwoods Gaming stamp pack's Gaia eXtension. This will allow me to bundle into the packs the sessions which were created when I tested the pack. With these, there will be sessions that just create the terrain and stamp using the settings I used in testing as well as sessions that will create/stamp the terrain and also run the spawners. As with any Gaia sessions, to run them you must have the stamps the session use enabled into the Gaia/Stamps folder system and you must have the art assets used imported into your project. At any rate, the goal is to have this done and included in the Volume 4 release. If not Volume 4, it will definitely be ready by Volume 5. After the extension is updated, I will also work on going back through previous Volumes and update them with the new scripts and add the Data/Sessions folders into the pack's structure.

At any rate, while I'm doing all that... Let's see those screenshots!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Arganth likes this.
  12. wolfen231

wolfen231

Interested to seet what you whip up for the first newsletter. I bought your desert / plains pack the other day. Using it on something new right now. Just getting ready to put in some trees and coverage. See how it all looks hehe.

13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Cool! Look forward to seeing it!

I'm currently working on the website. I found a better tool to integrate the newsletter subscription options into the site. Working on stripping out the old one, adding new one and enabling the sidebar subscription stuff. I've also been working on trying to get a newsletter format that I want laid out today.

Also, while looking for sign up form options I ran across an addon for the ecommerce software I'm using that will add a lot more functionality into the shop. Some of the additional things are currency options/conversion rates and additional tabs for more product information. I've been wanting something to do that so I can add change logs to show update information, recommended assets from other asset publishers I collaborate with that would work well with specific packs, move the stamp glossary screenshots album and screenshot galleries into tabs (in order to get rid of the extra product info pages).. The other addons I had found for tabs were going to cost money to get pro versions to get this capability. It looks like this one does it and tons of other stuff for free.. But I need to take a look at it to make sure everything works.

I also grabbed an e-Learning addon that I want to look at which allows publishing of online courses to a website. I want to evaluate it and see how the tutorials look in it. I'm having issues getting the Gaia and Sectr tutorial to look nice without digging into the code/css and to be honest, I'd rather find an easier way so I can avoid having to try to figure that stuff out again. lol

wolfen231 likes this.
  14. wolfen231

wolfen231

That's going to be handy for me here in China hehe. Of course 5usd is like... 30 something rmb.

15. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Actually going to have to wait a bit to add that. Ends up, it isn't totally free and all the currency exchange stuff is in the pro version. Hopefully will be able to upgrade as soon as possible. Looks like this addon enables a lot of things that I was planning on upgrading several addons to be able to do for a lot better price. But it will be coming. :)

16. wolfen231

wolfen231

Doh! That's ok. Fairly easy for me to calculate. Roughly 1.00USD = 0.16RMB. Plus there is google. haha

17. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Upon reflection, promontories, bays and inlets could be included together. Here is a picture that includes all three features. Promontories are the land that juts out into the water, perhaps Americans call them headlands?

http://www.abovephotography.com.au/Earth's-Artwork/Series/Pristine-Places-804540/
    or
    http://thomasjupe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Wilsons-Promontory-2011-02-061.jpg

Whereas the glacial valley or idealistic Scottish glen was created by huge sheets of ice literally scraping away everything in their path. These are dominated by towering mountains on both sides of a flat area in the middle (your village or desert area packs) with a shallow narrowish stream running through like this:

http://www.glencoemountainrescue.or...ting-for-fast-jets_20100607_2543-1024x680.jpg
    or
    http://www.meros.org/uploads/gallery/97/8c/69/9718c569f52875da377bb6b5b10f23bb.jpg

I understand the irony of what I am asking, because these features can be made by combining many different stamps together :) However, it would be really handy to have base stamps designed to accomodate further creation.

If you go to Google Earth and and have a quick look at the coastline of the Scottish Western Isles and some glens such as Glen Goe, Glen Etive or Glen Affric, then it might be a bit easier to see. There are many promontories in the Western Isles; search for Toscaig or Ardaneaskan in Scotland for examples.

I appreciate your thoughts here Shawn67, and apologies to all for the longish post.

18. smada-luap

smada-luap

Some great ideas there @TheSeawolf

Whilst it's possible to get that effect using a variety of stamps in Gaia, it would be nice if we had stamps where that was the main 'feature' of the stamp and we then used other stamps to further enhance smaller areas of the terrain :)

So why haven't you got them done yet @Shawn67 ? :p lol

TheSeawolf and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  19. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

No need to apologize! This is exactly the type of information I need in order to relate to your request! Absolutely perfect! I'll do some research on it over the weekend and see what kind of ideas I can come up with. I'll shoot for the promontories, bays, and inlets for the pack in between islands and the May pack. I'll actually probably keep it at two packs though in order to provide more variety. From the sound of the promontories, they would probably be ideal places where one might find a lighthouse or something. Your description gives me some good thoughts there. :)

I'll try to take a look at the glen areas you listed with Google Earth and see if I can get a good feel for them. Giving me some names to zoom in on and study is a big help. :)

Exactly! And no such thing as too many stamps!! But there is a such thing as not enough time / brain power! lol I think that response covers your last two paragrages, right @smada luap? :p :p

TheSeawolf likes this.
  20. smada-luap

smada-luap

Maybe......

:p back at ya :)

21. wolfen231

wolfen231

Something I am messing around with for fun in Gaia. Desert stamps rocking shawn!

Tenkoku, Distingo+VTP terrain stuff, and a few of Backwoods desert stamps.

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

First and second posts updated... :)

New production schedule for stamp packs along with the themes for the next four packs. POI packs have been delayed, so I will be replacing their spot on the April schedule with a Promontories pack and May's with a Bays and Inlets pack via suggestion from @TheSeawolf. The packs which were already on the schedule for April and May were the Islands pack which was moved to the first weekend in April and the Swamps and Marshes pack for May.

I'm hoping by June to have all the details lined out for the POI Packs. If so, the projected production schedule for them is now in the second post. I will fill that post out with more information closer to that time. :)

TeagansDad and TheSeawolf like this.
  23. dogmachris

dogmachris

The last one makes me wanna replay MGSV:TPP

24. wolfen231

wolfen231

HAH! I had that same vibe when I first saw it on the terrain.

dogmachris likes this.
  25. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Working today on getting the computer I run Unity on upgraded to Windows 10. With the recent computer issues, I figured I might as well upgrade while I had the computer down.

With that being said, I am currently working on my website. I upgraded the package that will allow me to setup my custom product tags. So I'm working on those now, working towards elimination of the separate Product Info pages.

One of the other things the upgrade will also allow is displaying prices in the different currencies. There is actually a long list of features which I will be looking at implementing, but those are the two major ones I wanted to purchase the upgrade for.

This upgrade was made possible by those who purchased through the web store since I didn't have to wait for those funds to be distributed to me like I do with the asset store. :)

One other page I hope to get made today is one outlining the Backwoods Gaming loyalty points program. If not today, it will be live on the site tomorrow. :)

TheSeawolf and dogmachris like this.
  26. jplebre

jplebre

Pay day can't come fast enough :D

27. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I'm looking forward to your Sectr with Gaia tutorial, because based on your presentation will be determined if I stick with World Streamer, or purchase Sectr.

28. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I need to get back to that at some point. With pushing to get production schedule going on the stamp packs, it has kind of slipped. Let me get this next pack out and I'll put some focus into it. :) Sorry for the delay!

29. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

No worries at all mate :) it's not important until multi - tile terrains are easily created and implemented in Gaia.

30. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

The beauty of my method is it works now. I used it back in August with Gaia before Gaia was even released. Sectr uses it's own system to activate and deactivate tiles once you have sliced them. I had no problems with it. But I did all of my stamping before slicing. I think there would be issues if I tried to stamp after I sliced.

At any rate, I should have it finished long before multi-tile support is in. At least I'm assuming that update will take at least as long as 1.5, although I'm sure Adam will probably prove me wrong... heheh..

TheSeawolf likes this.
  31. smada-luap

smada-luap

As I promised Shawn, here's a quick pic using one of the stamps from the Village pack (number 4 I believe). I stamped it in Gaia and then rotated it 90 degrees and stamped it again giving me a nice enclosed central area :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-22_19-38-36.jpg

Then added in trees and grasses/flowers just to have some visual interest :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-22_20-12-25.jpg

Attached Files:

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  32. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey gang.. Sorry I've been pretty quiet the past couple of days. Been fighting with some major computer issues. Had a hard drive failure and seems power supply is also being problematic. I have been doing some work on the website, but that is about all I've been able to do. Unfortunately the notebooks I have don't really run well enough to run Unity. I'm hoping to be back into Unity soon. I'm starting to go through withdrawal. lol

At any rate, the product info pages on the website and the product pages on the web store have now been consolidated. I still need to do redirects on all of the old product info page links, just in case they got indexed by the search engines. While reloading the operating system, on yet another drive, on the tower I am adding information for the version changelog tabs for each product. This addon will not only provide a nice looking changelog for packs on the web store, but I'm hoping I can also use it to copy/paste changes in when I update packs on the Asset Store.

Have a few more things I'm working on in the site as well. In the meantime, I would love living vicariously through all you guys. Feel free to share screenshots of your creations with the stamps. Not sure if it will help with my withdrawal, or just make it worse. lol But I'd still love to see what all of you are creating!

33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

hey gang. A small bug was found in pack 2 which I had found and fixed in pack 1, but forgot to change the script generator I use to create my extension scripts for the packs. The bug can cause errors when making a standalone build. I will be submitting an update to pack 2 as well as updates to pack 3 once it is approved. If you purchased the packs through my web store, they will be updated by end of day tomorrow.

The code only effects making a standalone build. You are still able to stamp, run and test your scenes within the Unity editor with no problems. If you need to make a standalone build before the update is available, you can make the following edit:

Replace this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if GAIA_PRESENT
    With this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if GAIA_PRESENT && UNITY_EDITOR

smada-luap likes this.
  34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ok.. After a week fighting with my development machine, I think I finally tracked down what is causing my problem and found a temporary workaround. After replacing and reloading drives several times, I did some reading on the issue, tried disabling things in Windows 10 that seem to cause similar issues, and finally I ran across a blog post that suggested installing a hardware monitor. Upon doing this, I saw that my CPU temp was climbing to 85C + when importing a package or project in Unity. Fan appears to be working so not 100% sure. But at any rate, I popped the side off of the tower and sat a house fan beside it. Not the most ideal solution but for now it is at least letting me get in and work in Photoshop, Unity, and Visual Studio - which are the tools I use for the stamp packs!

Last night I was able to get the first run of the volume 4 islands stamps done in Photoshop and scanned into Gaia. I will be testing stamping them tonight to look for any problems I missed on the first pass in Photoshop. Hopefully things will still be on track for an April 2nd release. :)

I still haven't heard anything from the asset store folks on the Volume 3 submission. It is still showing as pending review. As always, it is already available in the web store if you get tired of waiting. :)

35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey gang! After a week of not being able to get into Unity, we are back in production mode! Volume 4 of our stamp packs is coming along well and will have a variety of island stamps. We have sandbar type islands with shallow sea floor and mountainous islands with a deeper surrounding water area. The stamps are just the islands themselves. There is no sea floor detail, but using subtractive stamps from what you have in Gaia already, you can create custom sea floors to meet your needs. We do have plans for a sea floors pack scheduled here in a few months. So if you have issues creating interesting sea floors, we'll be able to help you with that.

So timeline for the Volume 4 release is on schedule. Since I had a lot of the groundwork done for the pack before I started having computer issues, it has basically boiled down to creating the stamps in Gaia, stamping and testing. The stamps have been created and a test scene has been created, stamped and spawned for each stamp in the pack. Now the time sink part starts (not because it should take long, but because I get distracted wanting to run around and explore each terrain.. lol) when I start doing screenshots to make the asset store and web store images. I will try to share a couple here tonight and will definitely have more to share tomorrow. The pack is scheduled to release Saturday, but the way it is looking it may be ready as early as Wednesday. By ready, I mean live on the web store and submitted to the asset store. Unfortunately timing of it being live on the asset store is beyond my control. We are approaching the two week point on submission of the desert pack (volume 3) and the free sampler pack now, and I haven't heard a peep from the asset store folks.

Starting this week, I will have a helper working with me on my packs. My cousin will be popping in a couple days a week to help me start laying out points of interest for the poi packs while he familiarizes himself with Unity and the art workflow. He eventually would like to get to a point where he is doing 3D character modeling. But while we get him up to speed and dusting off the artistic skills, he is going to help with POI packs while I work on stamps in photoshop and pack code in visual studio. Our long term plans are to get some side scroller type 2D packs and eventually 3D character models/clothing/weapons available under the Backwoods Gaming brand. That is the goal. I'll have to see how motivated I can keep him..

April plans are still on track for the promontory stamp pack mid-month as well as our first POI pack dependent on how quickly he gets settled into laying things out and how quickly I can get my code put together to tie the POI packs into my Backwoods Gaming extensions. I have some ideas of things I want to do with the POIs but need to get a pack finished so I can play around with them.

I'm also planning on working to figure out everything I need to do in order to have options to play back sessions within the stamp packs. Once I can get that worked out, I will repackage each of the previous stamp packs as v1.1.0 to include my session files along with the updated scripts. It might be closer to the end of April, but it will be done before we hit May!

At any rate, I wanted to do a quick update to keep everyone posted. As always, any ideas you may have that would fill your needs for both stamp packs and POI packs are always welcome.

36. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Here are a few screenies of the first two stamps in Volume 4 of the stamps packs. I will be working tomorrow and Tuesday on wrapping these up so I can try to submit Wednesday.. :)

Grab-Vol4Islands001-x-117y62z-429r87.jpg
    Grab-Vol4Islands001-x-728y56z67r130.jpg
    Grab-Vol4Islands002-x142y100z155r133.jpg
    Grab-Vol4Islands002-x210y99z166r105.jpg

dogmachris and TonyLi like this.
  37. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I am uploading Volume 4 to the asset store now. I want to redo all of my screenshots. I was wondering why I couldn't get my water to look right and I realized that since I was developing the pack in 5.1.0 to keep it compatible for all Gaia users, AQUAS requires 5.2.1 or above. So I think my water may be having issues because of that. Once the asset store upload finishes, I will upload to the web store and make the pack available for those who would like to purchase it now. Then I am going to create a package and bring all my test scenes into 5.3.1 to redo all of my screenshots. Love that Adam saves the coordinates with screenshotter! This way I can go back and retake same screens with AQUAS looking awesome. Last thing I want to do is show @dogmachris' great work in a bad way. We have to showcase AQUAS in great form, right Chris! :)

At any rate, the islands pack will be available earlier than I expected on the web store and asset store submission will still happen tomorrow, which is still a couple days ahead of schedule!

I'll have new screenies to share here once I get everything setup and water looking awesome in 5.3.1..

Oh.. Also, volume 2 and volume 3 have been updated to version 1.0.1 on the web store. This version fixes the standalone build problem that @smada laup made me aware of. My script generator for the packs has also been cleaned up. I will be submitting an update to the asset store for volume 2 either tonight or tomorrow and will submit updates for volume 3once the asset store team approves the one that is in review. I don't really want to delay it being available two more weeks for those of you wanting to purchase it on the asset store.

Another reminder for those of you who purchase my packs from the asset store, create an account on my website and then create a support ticket. In the ticket give me the invoice numbers for the packs you purchased. Once I verify them, I will give you access to the packs on the website so when I update you can download updates without waiting for asset store to approve. I also award loyalty points for each asset store purchase. Unfortunately I cant give you your points or give you access to the downloads there until you register and provide invoice numbers for verification. :)

dogmachris and smada-luap like this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

For those of you who have been waiting, the Desert stamps pack has just been approved on the asset store.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    smada-luap likes this.
  39. smada-luap

smada-luap

Or they reject it because it's "too similar and/or indistinguishable to other assets"

Well... It could happen :)

40. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

If they do that, people can still get it free from my web store I guess.. heheh

smada-luap likes this.
  41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Islands Pack is now live on the web store. AS submission tomorrow.

Mountain & Volcano Pack v1.0.1 is live on web store. AS submission tonight.

Desert Areas v1.0.1 is live on web store. AS submission tonight

42. Hans

Hans

Ausome work as usual Shawn, just picked up Desert Areas & Islands Packs.

Now looking forward to the next release....i assume a April rel. :)

43. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks Hans! Glad you are enjoying the packs! :) Looking forward to seeing some screenshots... :p (hint hint) heheh

At this point the schedule has a release of the next stamps pack on April 16th. With this one releasing early, that one may be the same way. However, I have a lot of things I would like to get done between now and then. Tomorrow I will be working with new helper in starting to layout some forest village / outpost POIs for the first POI Pack which I hope to have ready by end of April, if not earlier. I also need to get the april newsletter done and ready to email to subscribers by the weekend. And last, but not least, I'd really like to get back on track with the tutorial series for building large environments by leveraging both Gaia and Sectr Complete's Stream component (which I'd like to have a segment done on a weekly basis)..

So we'll see how it goes. A lot of it depends on how quickly I can get my helper up and running on doing my initial POI layouts and have them ready for me to create ground masks for roads/paths and create the code. If I can get him going quick on that with no problems, I can get the other stuff on my list done and the Promontory pack done by the 16th with no problem. :)

44. Hans

Hans

Hehe yes i will when it is ready i will show :)...... you can tell alot from the terrain what sort of game it will be.

woooooo POIs coming......looking forward to those, i assume the assets will be separate ...?

Ausome work Shawn

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

The plans for the POI Packs are to collaborate with art pack publishers to create village, outpost, camp, homestead type layouts using their buildings and props. You will need to own the other publisher's art pack for the POIs in the POI Packs to actually spawn. What the POI Pack will give you is ready made layouts which Gaia can spawn via your game object spawners. I have feelers out to a couple of environment pack artists. Since I work closely with Cobus from 3DForge, we have already talked about my doing some POI Packs based off of his packs in the start so I have something I can then show other publishers to draw interest in.

My original plan when Adam and I first talked about the stamp packs and POI packs was to release them at the same time, almost like companion packs. However, I ended up a little later than I had planned on the stamps packs getting started and what was originally planned for January through March has finally caught up. I also wanted to iron out some more details on my workflow and the process of working with the art publishers before starting the POI packs. With getting a helper from my family to get on board, his help will help a great deal with the workflow.

So the first POI Pack will be released sometime in April and will be a Gaia + 3DForge Exterior Kit pack. Both Gaia and Cobus' Exterior Kit will be required. POI Pack for Gaia Vol 1 - Woodland Village and Outpost will contain POIs which are ideal for the volume 1 of the stamp packs, although it can be use with any terrain you are spawning on with Gaia. I still need to sit down with Mike, my helper, and map out exactly what I want laid out. A lot of it will depend on how quickly I can get him going and how close to my vision he is able to get the layouts done. And then once he is done with his part, I'll need to build the POIs from the layout scenes he delivers to me, build the Gaia extension with whatever options I'm going to deliver, and test them in a few different scenes to make sure they work properly.

But they are definitely coming! I have a 14 pack plan for POI Packs just like I did when I started the stamp packs. And with a few extra stamp packs having been added, we will come up with companion POI Packs which be a perfect match for those as well. :)

Arganth likes this.
  46. jf3000

jf3000

How many square klms are the stamps?

47. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I would say 90% of the stamps are based off of an 8km square original area which is perfect for the new default stamp settings of Gaia's stamper in version 1.5.3 for a 2048x2048 tile. You can easily play around with changing detail by adjusting height and width settings in the stamper if you want to increase / decrease detail.

jf3000 likes this.
  48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yesterday, i did some Panoramics Screenshots using obviously Gaia and tried on the same time 2 Stamps from the Mountain and Volcano - Gaia Terrain Stamps Pack Vol2 by Shawn.
    I have to say, Shawn you are making me the life so much easier now, you are creating fastly for us Great Stamps and ready to use; i could modify them, but i wanted 1st to try them as they were.
    And bingo! i enjoyed them a lot, on the 2nd one, as i was searching for my current Scenes some Mountains going until the sea with not too much cliffs and gentle slopes, needed too some kind of peninsula with bay, it have been perfect for me!

Will try, to show more wide views next time :)
    Descriptions of which Assets i have used are compiled/described on each Screenshots on my Flickr Gallery:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/

49. wolfen231

wolfen231

Gorgeous man! So glad I bought your plants from before hehe. And I love my ultra wide screen monitor. Shots like these make it fun. =D

50. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

WOW! Very cool @turboscalpeur! Love the way you have combined your grasses there! And I love that pack you are using with the ship and towers. I'm going to have to add that one to my wishlist! lol

Those towers will look awesome with the Promontories pack that I will be starting on this weekend. A watch tower on a point overlooking the sea to keep vigilant against sea bound attackers.. The Promontories and Bays & Inlets packs will be perfect for that type of asset pack.

EDIT: Yup, they are coming soon @TheSeawolf! I will be looking at getting one for the glacial paths based off glen-like terrains for you put together soon as well. If things go well, all will be done by end of April along with a couple other packs from the schedule.

turboscalpeur likes this.