Search Unity

Question BackUpThisFolder_ButDontShipItWithYourGame in Unity 2021.3.17 Android build but not in Unity 2020

Discussion in 'Android' started by SanteEtermax, Feb 2, 2023.

1. SanteEtermax

SanteEtermax

Hi! We are migrating from Unity 2020.3.34 LTS to Unity 2021.3 LTS. Right now we are beginning our tests with the 17th patch.

As the title says, we've seen this folder named "BackUpThisFolder_ButDontShipItWithYourGame" is being created when we make an Android build. We double checked that our Unity 2020.3.34 Android builds don't create this folder.

I've seen this folder in Standalone builds (Windows particularly) and from what I could see in the few threads i've found about this folder is that it provides debugging symbols and things like that. We know that you can tell Unity to create or not Android debug symbols through a build settings config, that's the way we always created our own symbols.

So the questions are:

- Is it the expected behavior for Android builds in Unity 2021.3.17? Are we missing something?
    - If it is the expected behavior, why exactly would we want this folder? I couldn't find any official documentation about it. What is its purpose?
    - Can we choose not to create this folder with some build option?

titasortas likes this.