Search Unity

Background Scrolling Laggy / Stuttery

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by StickBit, Jun 2, 2020.

1. StickBit

StickBit

Hi, I am developing a Mario clone in Unity 2D and I am working on getting the background to scroll. Currently I am using this code to move the background with the camera, relative to the spawn point:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update() {
    2.         if (player != null) {
    3.             Vector3 position = t.position;
    4.             double distX = position.x - GameWorld.spawnPoint.x;
    5.             double distY = position.y - GameWorld.spawnPoint.y;
    6.             transform.position = new Vector2((float) (distX / 2), (float) distY / 2f-1f);
    7.         }
    8.     }
    This results in the background to move around at a weird speed when the camera is controlled by the player. However, when the player dies, the camera transitions back to the spawn point, where the background moves much more smoothly.

The issue is a lot more noticeable on the game itself, rather than the video. (You may also need to set the playback to 60 FPS) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

What is the "t" transform? How is it moving? It looks like the movement of your background is based on whatever that movement is. Also does GameWorld.spawnPoint move around?

3. StickBit

StickBit

t is the Transform of the camera. The spawn point does not move.

4. PixellPat

PixellPat

I'm having the same problem. I have a script on the camera that follows the player. When the player moves fast the background gets blurry and stuttery. Any fix?