Search Unity

Background repeat?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by rastlin, Jul 8, 2019.

1. rastlin

rastlin

So yeah, when can we expect to be able to control background repeat patterns? Similarly to repeat-x/repeat-y properties of css background-repeat.

It seems pretty easy to implement, it just require some uv calculation for rendered texture depending on the setting. The current options available for background cropping produces really terrible results on non-fixed rects.

Yecats likes this.
  2. jonathanma_unity

jonathanma_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi rastlin,

Background repeat would be a nice feature to have indeed.
    However, it won't be available in the near future but is on the road map.

As a side note, UIElements store textures into an atlas to provide a fast rendering which then makes background repeat not straightforward to add.

3. MousePods

MousePods

I was wondering if this is still coming and if there will be an option to also animate its UVoffset?

Thanks!

4. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

It's not on our immediate roadmap, which means unlikely to be implemented in the 2021 range.

That said, you can use the custom mesh UI Toolkit API to create your own mesh that does repeat its texture via your own UVs (which...you can then also animate). Here's the documentation for that:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/UIElements.VisualElement-generateVisualContent.html

More details and examples here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/draw-unity-gl-under-ui.914960/#post-5996561
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/solved-drawing-a-curve-onto-an-element.691882/

MousePods likes this.
  5. oobartez

oobartez

We need this too! The built-in 9-slice background is very limited and hey, any actual game needs custom borders right? Unless you go for an all out flat design but I'd still estimate some 75% of games need this.

RageAgainstThePixel likes this.
  6. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Over a year later, any update? I’m not sure how this isn’t a high priority considering how many games I’d think need this (including mine). Does everyone make flat UI?

7. MousePods

MousePods

RunninglVlan and JasonBricco like this.
  8. niuage

niuage

UI Toolkit is so frustrating at times. It promises a web-like workflow and features and then you realize you can't repeat a background image? :'(

It was "in-progress" a year ago, almost exactly :D

RageAgainstThePixel likes this.
  9. jonathanma_unity

jonathanma_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, here's a small update. There's a pull request open and ready to merge that adds background-repeat, background-position and background-size properties.

10. niuage

niuage

Excellent \o/

ps: I think in the current version, there's a sort of background-size property in the inspector, with 3 options (cover, contain etc). Each of these options is an icon. But hovering over the icon iirc just displays the unity property name, it doesnt display the value. It would be great to change that, so that we can know exactly what each icon does without trying to decipher what the icon looks like. Just a small request in case you agree it would be a good change.

11. jonathanma_unity

jonathanma_unity

Unity Technologies

It's definitely something we want to improve on, there's a task in the UI builder backlog about this.

12. radianhelixmedia

radianhelixmedia

Background repeating and scaling as mentioned above would be a huge help.

Having PPU controls of 9-slices is also essential.

Here on the Right you can see my uGUI canvas buttons, nice and tidy.

On the Left, you can see my UI Toolkit buttons. Same art, same 9-slices, same absolute pixel sizes -- wildly different results.

The ability to set the Pixels Per Unit to control texil density would be a huge help. It seems the workaround up above is to use meshes to control this, but that's a bit of a pain when it could, and should be right there in the options, like it was in the inspector for uGUI.

Attached Files:

13. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

14. ncerone_unity

ncerone_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, the background-repeat (background-size and background-position) feature of UI Toolkit is coming in the next alpha release of 2022.2.

rage2050a, pblpbl, ChGuidi and 2 others like this.
  15. spakment

spakment

An FYI for anyone waiting for this - it's just been released in the 2022.2.0b7, only supported via style sheets, not in the UI Builder at the moment

RunninglVlan likes this.
  16. dlorre

dlorre

There is also background-size in 2023.1.0a6, I guess it is in 2022.2.0b7 too, it is a very nice addition.

17. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Doesn't work for me in 2022.2.0b7 =(
    What am I doing wrong?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <ui:UXML xmlns:ui="UnityEngine.UIElements" xmlns:uie="UnityEditor.UIElements" xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" engine="UnityEngine.UIElements" editor="UnityEditor.UIElements" noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../UIElementsSchema/UIElements.xsd" editor-extension-mode="False">
    2.     <Style src="project://database/Assets/NewUSSFile.uss?fileID=7433441132597879392&amp;guid=ac8b1643aace9b94dbc432c69888485e&amp;type=3#NewUSSFile" />
    3.     <ui:VisualElement class="bg" />
    4. </ui:UXML>
    Code (CSharp):
    1. .bg {
    2.     width: 100%;
    3.     height: 100%;
    4.     background-repeat: repeat-x;
    5.     background-image: url('project://database/Assets/img_flwr.gif?fileID=21300000&guid=f06bd476ce7795348bd7bd6bcf1b18ed&type=3#img_flwr');
    6. }
    The same code works in browser
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <html>
    2.   <head>
    3.   <style>
    4. .bg {
    5.     width: 100%;
    6.     height: 100%;
    7.     background-repeat: repeat-x;
    8.     background-image: url(https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/img_flwr.gif);
    9. }
    10.   </style>
    11.   </head>
    12.   <body>
    13.     <div class="bg" />
    14.   <script>
    15.   </script>
    16.   </body>
    17. </html>

Edit: Had to add
    background-size: contain;

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    RageAgainstThePixel and Wobbers like this.
  18. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

True. For now. That said, the UI Builder should not forget/reset/corrupt the style if you do manually use it in a StyleSheet. Meaning, if you just want to use it for one selector/element, just add it in a text editor and then continue using UI Builder for the rest of the work.

19. sphair

sphair

Are these changes regarding background-repeat documented somewhere ?

20. Kokujou

Kokujou

well thanks for nothing unity :( apparently the background-repeat is affected by the border radius. means, if you have a border radius and use background-repeat you will repeat an image clipped with a border radius...

that's frustrating for a newbie starting with UI Toolkit

21. Hellfim

Hellfim

I've reported this issue and they said it's a low-priority which can be easily mitigated (and it is), so there is not estimation on a fix. You can workaround by creating a child with background-repeat.

Anyway despite of having a simple workaround I believe it's a rather frustrating issue for newcommers, so I pushed them into creating a public issue. If you agree with me I advise you to vote for it's fix.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/uir-sliced-background-ignore-masking

22. RageAgainstThePixel

RageAgainstThePixel

2024, any update on this?

B_ware likes this.