Search Unity

Background audience

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yellowlabrador, Jun 10, 2006.

1. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Hello All,

What's the best way to add crowds on a scene.

I tried adding one model and duplicating it but my frame rate drops considerably. So I decided to render the model and use it as a texture but it looks crappy. See attachment.

Thanks,
    Ray

Edit:

Can not upload image?
    Edit:
    Trying again to upload image

Attached Files:

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

How did you make the model? Does it consist of multiple meshes? Does every mesh use multiple materials?

Try optimizing the model so that it is only one mesh and only one material then instantiate it.

3. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Hi Joe,

The entire model has 5 parts, Body ,Feet, hair, Face, Hand
    502 polygons and 502 triangles(total).

I will try to reduce the model by just including the Hair and Face which will give me 2 objects with 146 polygons and triangles.

When you say one mesh, does it mean one object, like the hair and face should be joint together before importing to Unity? (will try to join the two object in my 3D app too to see any improvements)

Thanks,
    Ray

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Are you using one model (with 5 parts) for a single person in the audience, or is it 5 parts for the whole audience?

If you're doing a single person like that, it is going to be slow. Try combining them in your 3D package, so that the whole audience is just a couple (or a dozen... just not hundreds) of meshes.

5. drJones

drJones

I'm a noob but i do have one suggestion:

- Make the distance between the players and the crowd larger (at least double i would say) that way whatever trick you use to make it look good won't be as noticable.

Also what Joe said above, merge the body parts into one object use only one texture for it (be aware of how many lights are being used too).

You could also look at this for ideas as well:

http://www.rockstargames.com/tabletennis/

6. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

@Aras,
    Yes 5 parts for the whole model. Trying to combine into one object right now.

@drJones,
    Will implement your suggestion too.

Linky is awesome. My characters will not look like that(Maybe someday when I get good at using my 3d App)

My Players will be a robotic arm(Industrial robot arm).

Game title will be Robotic Ping Pong

Thanks,
    Ray

7. Morgan

Morgan

Sounds like a neat idea for a game.

A couple of thoughts:

* With a flat audience, you could use an alpha channel (or polygons) to make the audience at least be cutouts separate from the wall behind them. You could even make a texture on the wall that looked like their shadows.

* Or light the room differently, with near darkness and a spotlight shining on the table, so the audience can be just silhouettes (whether 2D or untextured black 3D).

* Or with 3D people, you could raise the "railing" in front of the audience so there's not as much showing, maybe just head and shoulders so you can delete the rest of the model.

* Maybe use robots for the audience--you can get away with them being simpler. (It's not the same as real-world industrial robots, though--might not fit your theme.)

* Raise the admission price so fewer people show up.

* Would deleting unseen backfaces from the audience models help performance? (I don't know that answer, just wondering.)

* Would eliminating the people behind the camera help performance (if you haven't already)? I don't know that answer either.

8. AaronC

AaronC

What if you used spheres for heads and cubes or capsules for bodies?

9. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Tried playing with the size and lighting, It looks a little better than before.
    Will try to do some cut outs and use sphere for heads on some for the side audience so I can see the windows of the stadium.

I just realize that I need another arm to use for holding the ball while serving and need to figure out how to hit the ball if the ball bounces to high.

Would animating the movements be better or scripting it is the way?.

Thanks,
    Ray

Attached Files: