Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[b11] WebGL build takes irrationally long time (not always)

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by supron, Nov 21, 2016.

1. supron

supron

It didn't happen in older betas (b5 was the last beta I tested before b11). It occurs even in simple one script project where build takes about 5 minutes (usually 1-2 minutes with unity5.4). With large script heavy project it takes about 10-20 minutes with b11 and 3-4 minutes with 5.4. Sometimes it works correctly and large project takes about 4 minutes like it should. I found that Windows 10 anti-malware process takes 10-20% CPU while building project. Maybe this is the reason, but why it works with 5.4? I have rather good PC setup (i7-6700, 16gb ddr4, SSD) + I tested it on another PC and I got the same results (some builds are much slower than others).

Is that something you are aware of, or it's just my problem? I would like to know if it's known bug, or something with my projects/PC.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi supron,
    Thanks for reporting this! Could you please file a bug report with a minimal reproduction case and reply in this thread with the case #?

3. supron

supron

I did further investigation. I removed Library folder, and everything seems to be normal right now (in both small and large projects). Actually I can't reproduce it right now, because it works. Maybe its something related to upgrading project to b11.

Anyway, it looks like I'm the only one who had this problem, and I found simple solution. Thank you for your interest and do not worry about this issue.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

In the past, I've found two things to really help with IL2CPP build time:

1. Exclude project and target build directories from windows defender;
    2. Have project and target build directories on an SSD.

These aren't small improvements either - each of them dramatically improves build time.

5. supron

supron

Wow, this is really helpful. I can not believe how much this improved built times. You should definitely include this advice somewhere in documentation/help.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies